Volkswagen Polo

MK5.II 6R, MK5.I 6R, MK4 9N, AW

22 questions from our users

Janet W.

Janet W.asked

My niece bought a VW Polo in 2015 and had issues with the AC during the warranty period. Its now out of warranty and the service centre is now admitting to the problem (after having it back to them several times this year to fix AC) being a major one. We would be very interested to hear if anyone else has had similar issues as we think VW should be responsible for this repair.
Janet

Nugget
Nugget

It sounds as if it's a Warranty matter. If the AC problem occurred during the Warranty period, was brought to the dealers attention at the time, and was not then fixed I think it remains a Warranty issue. That arguement is strengthened if the dealer now concedes that the problem is the one they were told about under Warranty.

David

Davidasked

Are the polo diesel 2012 dpf?

Christine F.

Christine F.asked

Where on my2015 polo trendline 1.2 turbo is the oil filter cannot see because of air filter and other fittings

cliff

Under the engine . Access to it from underneath the car . Pull Off the plastic Cover you will see it.

Sally Catriona F.asked

Hiya, this seems like such a silly question but I can't find how to check my odometer!! I have a 2017 polo launch edition. I can find "since start" and "long term" km's but I can't find my total km's anywhere!

cliff

Hi Catriona. the stop start KMs are in the screen in the centre of the Dash. You need the ignition on and scroll through the menu for the cars techno information. The KMs are counted on a small screen in the centre of the tacho and the speedometer

Sally Catriona F.

That's where I was looking, I've been through every menu so many times and I can only find "short term" and "long term" km's, I can't find the total km's anywhere.

Sally Catriona F.

Omg I finally found it. For some reason it's hidden behind the cruise control. When I turn off cruise control it's there. I just never usually have cruise control off - even when it's not actually engaged I still leave it on. I was looking under "driving data" which, if you ask me, would be a much more sensible place for it to be located!!

Vern

Vernasked

Polo MK5.I 6R

2010 polo
Had problems with dash cluster not working and wouldn’t start ,
Checked the fuses and started working again,
Now clock and fuel gauge not updating.
What could be the issue?

Bheki

Bhekiasked

Hi people can anyone with more mechanical experience tell me if the two cars does share and use the same water pump, polo cross 2012 diesel 1.6L and the polo Gti 2007 1.8L? Just the water pump.

Josh S

Josh Sasked

Polo MK5.II 6R

Hi Im thinking of getting a 2018 VW polo trendline could anyone that has a history with this car give me their opinion?

Rick B
Rick B

I have the new 2018 comfortline and to be honest it looks great and drives great, however it has had many issues.
Car shut down once with 4 pages of fault codes, Aircon makes passenger seat vibrate. Random electric issues and rubbish stop start that cuts in way to early.
I also have a 2018 Golf which is much better.

Sean K

Sean Kasked

Polo MK4 9N

I have a 2006 vw polo auto bky is the code a manual will not fit there is a rattle in engine, i took it to a garage they told me i needed a new engine. I phoned 70 breakers they said it would be very difficult, can any body help?

kenny

kennyasked

hi i have a polo sedan 2016 1.4 comfortline and it has a annoying knocking noise from the front suspension. took it in to the dealers and they said its the characteristic of the car. how can that be so of a new car making a noise. please assist

Nik Danilov
Nik Danilov

Hi Kenny, can't hear any noises from suspension but there is an annoying ticking noise from the motor compartment. Haven't had a chance to take It to dealers but read that some pipes are not properly fixed there. Might not be your case though. Anyway good luck with this. Thanks. Nik

Lindzasked

Polo MK5.I 6R

Hi, I'm looking at a 2013 polo gti
It has 143,000 on the clock should that matter? services are all up to date With history

ChrisD

The best thing to do is to take it into a workshop for a pre-purchase inspection; most mechanics or workshops can do these. They will be able to get a good idea on the engine's health and the overall car. It has saved me from buying the wrong car a few times (Even cars I thought were perfect). Kms are a good gauge on the health of the car, but if it's been modified or driven very hard it can wear an engine out a lot quicker, especially with turbo charged cars.

Hope that helps :)

Thanks for your reply!
how do I go about asking the selling about getting one of these done before buying it?

No problem!

The easiest way is to get in contact with a mechanic in your area that does pre-purchase inspections and check availability. Then ask if the seller would be able to drop the car in for a pre-purchase inspection at a time that suits them. Then you can pay the workshop direct. I've even had sellers let me take it down to a workshop myself when they didn't have time. I did leave them with a deposit and my details though. If the seller is confident in their car, they shouldn't have any issue with you wanting to get it checked out :)

cautious chickenasked

Polo MK5.II 6R

I am tossing up between a 2014 (MY15) Polo 77 tsi Comfortline autp asking $15K and a 2014 (MY15.5) Polo 81 Tsi Comfortline auto (asking $16.5K), both about 24k kms, and both are slightly negotiable on price. I test drove both and both felt great (but I am not a mechanic or car expert). The 81 TSI is slightly better optioned, and 6 months newer. Does anyone have any experience of, or advice about which would be the better value, more reliable, least problematic? Most of the comments on this website seem to be negative about Polo and yet I have many friends who have had great experiences (maybe they don't bother commenting when they're happy with the car!)

RalphM
RalphM

Which car to choose is difficult to answer as often it comes down to personal choice such as color, options etc.provided both cars are in similar good condition.
I have not read anything that has been a major mechanical or other change in the Polo since I bought mine in DEC 2012. other than more features and/or options have been added such as blue-motion, updated sat nav etc. There are not many small cars that offers the comfort, power, economy and refinement of the polo. If you are still unsure which one to choose, then negotiate further until you get an amazing deal on one.

cautious chicken

Thanks for your input RalphM! As I'm discovering the used car market is quite a minefield.

Garren Pittasked

Polo MK4 9N

Looking at buying a 2002 Volkswagen Polo SE 9N Manual MY02 it has had all its services and major ones, is there anything i can look at when test driving the car to spot to see if something is wrong with it?

Grant
Grant

Sorry Garren. We have not had the Polo long enough to pick any "Watch" areas. If it has Cruise Control and you plan on using Cruise Control on either a freeway or highway, I would try to take a test drive somewhere at 100kph using cruise. Also if it is an auto with a DSG gearbox, VW did have problems with the early versions of the DSG boxes.

Garren Pitt

Its a manual. But thank you for your help

Samarth Srivastava

Samarth Srivastavaasked

This is regarding VW Polo Petrol Comfort line car. In the instrument panel behind steering wheel there are certain readings which are not clear. Can you please assist me regarding this? How to calculate fuel average and other readings?
Thanks!

G. Hi
G. Hi

Try reading hte manual it is explained how to read the MFD in detail

brendaleaasked

Should I buy a 2015 new polo 66tsi trend line base model or a used golf/polo 2012 models?

Bwatir
Bwatir

From my experience, I wouldn't suggest buying a polo.

Rango1

I never buy new cars as I am not willing to throw money away,but instead look for cars that are of low to medium mileage and am willing to haggle(nicely) with salesperson accordingly.Sure if the new car is a great price then by all means,but you really need to do some pricing research for a while.Carsales,Carsguide,local yards etc and get an idea of what cars are worth and then swoop in on the one that meets the criteria.I guess you run the risk with used cars that they may have been mistreated but most are checked and you will want to see full service records of course,or have someone independent check car.Newer cars will usually have any problems of older models resolved.But hey a Golf is a bigger car too which is good.Decision can only be yours in the end and this is only my opinion.

brendalea

Thanks for that. Yes Rango I thought the same about losing money and the only thing I guess pushing towards the new model is that there have been a lot of transmission problems with the earlier golf and some recalls. Have done heaps of research and is doing my head in so thought I would just throw the question out there. Thanks for the advice on the polo Bwatir but I would like to know what your experience with one was and what year and model was it. Back to the drawing board I guess

GeorgeS

GeorgeSasked

Polo Oct 2014 66TSI Trendline Auto Hatch.
Does this model experience computer fault engine surges?

Rango1

Sorry I purchased a non-turbo Polo,and it is a manual.

brendalea

Don't know but am looking at it or the 2015 model but also looking at used but finding a lot of problems so don't know which way to go so would love to hear answers too. Trouble with used cars is hardly any or no warranty especially if buy private

pennygrcasked

I have a polo 1.2 petrol car three cylanders the year is 2012 I would like to know if it should make a noise like starting a diesel car when you turn on ignition, after that she goes fine. is it normal?

brian

Not sure though if it's cold everything cold it would take time to warm up / if you are worried about it perhaps it's time for a check up at a Volkswagen workshop or a mechanical repairs workshop or if there is a electronics problem perhaps a auto electrician shop might be able to help

pennygrc

Thank you for your reply will have it looked at.

samoro

samoroasked

my Volkswagen polo 2005 drive gear light partial I don't no what is the problem, help me please?

brian

It seems like it's probably better to take the car to a Volkswagen Australia workshop or a auto electrician shop might be able to help you / if them 2 options fail perhaps a transmission specialist workshop might be able to help or a different mechanical repairs workshop though the way you have described the situation its most likely a electrical problem in that case the auto electrician might be the best option

hwang_edward

hwang_edwardasked

I've learned VW golf is built in Germany whilst the polo is built in South Africa. VW sales claims their factories and QA are same, I don't believe it. Not only their labour skills are poorer than the German workers but SA factory also sources poorer quality parts. What do you think of the quality/durability difference between the German made and South African made? I once owned a Mercedes built in South African and the reliablity was shocking.

RobinHood2349

Must agree with your comments. The Polo is apparently built in South Africa. Despite what the CLOWNS in VW GRoup say, my Blooody Blue Polo is a COMPLETE BUNCH of junk or whatever. The so-called service is COMPLETELY ABYSSMAL, also. The CLOWNS at VW Australia say it is "THe Way You're Driving It" or similar. They really mean "WE Haven't the SLIGHTES CLUE; but Keep driving IT"
In over 45 Years, yes, years I've never had a Car with as many problems as my Blooody Blue Polo. Even my Austin 1800 was molre reliable, and taht's saying heaps

Dilemma driver
Dilemma driver

Hi,
I think your assumptions are quite true. I had the polo 6R from 2010, which is the First gen model. It has been 4 years in the running now however during these years it has been going to mechanic with certain issues. One of the major issues took about 3 months in their repair shop. To the point I asked the dealer whether I can just keep the Golf (Courtesy Vehicle) instead. If i knew VW Australia sell poor quality products, I would have gotten the Extended Warranty. However due to the an accident that killed a lady in Victoria while driving a Golf about a year or two ago, the insurance company have increase the price of extended warranty from few hundreds to thousands.

Anyway touch wood.

To give a rating out of 100, for first VW owner on a Brand new car. I would have give it around 65/100.

Zeeva
Zeeva

Mine is built in South Africa and I think the build quality is flawless.

SB

SBasked

Has anyone noticed a noisy front wiper motor on the new 2014 VW Polo? Mine can be heard above the radio- Sat in another new car at the garage and it was just the same Garage says they are all like it - Any Ideas

RobinHood2349

I have a 2010 Polo. No problems with wipers. Have had MAJOR PROBLEMS with DSG, Clutch Pack, Mechatronics Units, Software UpGrades, and,
YES, you had better believe it EIGHT, yes 8 Air-Conditioning Units in the last 18 Months. The supplying Dealer REFUSES to give me a REFUND.
Indeed, this very same dealer has ACTUALLY BANNED ME from his premises at LIVERPOOL, as I have apparently Upset One Too Many People.

If they had FIXED ALL THE PROBLEMS.....I would not be COMPLAINING. My complaints have FALLEN on TOTALLY DEAF EARS.....BOTH VW in
SYDNEY, and, the so-called "dealer" at LIVERPOOL have BANNED ME from crossing their hallowed thresholds!.

Would I get another VW. The answer is a RESOUNDING "NO" as I am being treated like the "...Proverbial Village Idiot....." with deepest apologies to
any Proverbial Village Idiots, out there in SydneyTown. Also, It's the Way I Drive It, according to the so-called "experts" at VW and the "dealer" at
LIVERPOOL

patrica

patricaasked

I got work done on my vw polo car 2005 two weeks ago and the mechanic put synethic oil in it. I went and got petrol the following week and the fella told me i had no oil and he filled it up. I went back to the mechanic on the monday and told him and he checked it and it was empty. He put more oil in it and told me to come back to him on friday past to check it. I had only used half a litre and he told me to buy oil and put in a half litre. Did this today and when the fella checked the oil again it was very low. He had to put in the whole litre. Why is this happening have you any idea? Please help?

Gr Holl
Gr Holl

There could be several reasons. Is there any oil on the ground under the car. If so it may be something simple like the mechanic forgot to do up the oil filter or sump plug tight enough or you could have leak from a damaged sump etc. Is it a petrol or diesel engine ? If petrol is there smoke coming out of the exhaust especially when you step on the gas. If so its possible you have a problem with the piston rings or valves. Check the oil dip stick if the oil is a milk colour also check the coolant for sign of oil, its possible you have a blown head gasket. Its not uncommon for cars to burn some oil, especially if they have done high kilometres but from what you describe it seems you need to get something fixed.. I would suggest you take it to a good mechanic recommended by the Auto Club , if you leave it and the engine runs out of oil it will seize up and then you are up for big big dollars.

RobinHood2349

I don't have the answer for uyou. Idf you live in Sydney, may I suggest that you try [name removed] of XC and S Autos at Padstow on
0297743340. [name removed] has been looking after my Blooody Blue Polo for over a Year, Now. [name removed] actually tells me what he is doing
and what is actually going on, unlike the three so-called dealers I have used in the past

brian

Also the oil pump and filter are probably designed for using normal oil so it's probably better to put normal oil though if you want to stick to the synthetic oil you possibly can and follow the other answers advice or you could try taking the car to a Volkswagen Australia workshop or a totally different mechanical repairs workshop if you like

Get an answer from our members and Volkswagen representatives