Volkswagen Polo

See the Best Hatchbacks in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Awesome small car!

Bought the POLO for my wife after HEAPS of research. The Polo came out tops so we took the plunge and bought new. Went for all options, Driver comfort package and very impressed. Love the once/year servicing ( every 10 months with the k's my wife does ). Fixed price servicing is good also. Very economical getting around 700 k's to the tank (around $40). One or two annoying rattles that should get sorted at next service. Now looking to upgrade to new model early this year.

Date PurchasedOct 2015

Best car on the market and fuel efficient

This car is so smooth and quiet while driving.
I love how great the acceleration and breaks work with ease. It is no noisy at all and you barely hear the engine on.

The car is perfect size for city living and easy to park.

It fits a car seat comfortably and fits a small family. However would not suit ab obese family as space is quit small.

Engine Size1.4L Petrol
Date PurchasedJun 2015

Zippy car

Very good and responsive car. Used to drive a honda civic and this car has changed my driving experience. Great engine for the size of the car.
Could do with better speakers. You'll need to pump at least unleaded 95 but I find a full tank usually lasts me for 2 weeks and I drive around ~650km for work.

Date PurchasedJan 2015

Perfect city car

Excellent excellent excellent! After months of research I purchased this. The look and feel is top notch given the price range. Android auto works great for those long drives. The sports mode on the car is exceptional. Howver the best is the fuel usage..a full tank covers around 700 km

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Great car to drive

I purchased my polo in Janurary 2017, although the purchasing of the car was difficult (due to the dealership itself)
I have had no faults with the car what so ever. The driving experience is amazing, the sports setting is fantastic when you need to speed up quickly, there is very minimal noise when driving.
I picked this car because I love very simple interior design. The touch screen is a perfect size, Apple Play is fantastic although sometimes it doesn't work (not sure if because of my phone or not). What I dislike about the inside of the car though is there isn't an air setting for feet & face at the same time, that feature would've been fantastic. And when you turn your parker lights on, the dash doesn't light up which is annoying. I don't like having to turn my lights completely on to see the dash when it only just starts getting dark or you go under a tunnel.

The running costs are fantastic personally. Even when petrol is high, $25 will get me half a tank. And I have managed to get from Victoria to Adelaide on a full tank. When petrol is at a decent price, at most it'd cost me $45 to fill up my car (using 95 petrol)

Overall I think this car is perfect for people who are looking to buy their first car. It's easy to handle, running costs aren't too expensive and the safety features are fantastic.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Great little car

I purchased my polo in January this year and it has been a great little car so far, very small engine but when the turbo kicks in has more than enough power. Have had one fault with the A/C but once fixed under warranty hasn't been fine. It has the new Apple car play connectivity which I love, modern interior and super fuel efficient $59 to fill and I'm getting 2 weeks from a tank, very economical. One negative is the stop start engine feature, I turn this off every time I get in the car but that is just a personal preference. Overall very happy with my purchase.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Great to drive. An absolute pain to own.

The Polo is good to drive - adequate power, good cornering, feels solid. I especially like the adaptive cruise control on a long trip. However, I could not recommend this car. The annoying and stupidly designed features render it just constantly annoying as an everyday car.

The car is too low at the front. In fact, the body is 35mm lower on the front suspension than on the back suspension. This gives the car a nose-down attitude and results in constant problems with scraping on driveways, road dips, etc. VW says this front-rear height difference is within specification, but it looks bad and causes these problems. One has to tackle driveway entrances, etc always at an angle to prevent grounding the front of the car.

The stop/start has to be turned off again every time you start the car. Why can't it just stay on or off as I set it? If I want it on I'll turn it on, if I want it off it should stay off. If you have forgotten to turn it off, and then get out to open a gate, it shuts down the car and you have to restart from scratch. Just stupid.

The incredibly irritating safety message on the screen that you have to acknowledge every time you start the car. The rear view mirror that's exactly at eye level, creating an enormous blindspot which has resulted in several near collisions at intersections. Rearview mirrors should be above the eyeline so as not to create a blindspot. Basic ergonomics. The DSG is clumsy also, but quite liveable.

Overall I am looking forward to a different car, once this one gets old enough to make the depreciation rate acceptable.

Date PurchasedJan 2016
I've sold it now, it was just intolerable in the long term. The incessant creaking of the driver's door seals in one's ears - dealer fix would improve it for about 3 or 4 days before it returned. The so-called full-sized spare which still has a speed restriction on it! Plus all the design and ownership problems above. The stupid stop/start was the worst of all and I would never buy another car with such a system that I could not turn off.

Not bad ~

The driving experience was very good the interior is not bad, but couple of months later the car engine start to have a really really loud sound when going down the hill. I thought it is normal and didn't really pay attention. UNTIL one day i realized my garage had a full leakage of my coolant. I went and get my car serviced and my radiator was broken. i was told that i am just very unlucky and it cost be a fortune to get it fixed. other than that the car is very cost effective to fun.

Date PurchasedJun 2016

The BEST car

My Polo is my baby! It’s such a beautiful car to drive, really good fuel economy, the turbo is always fun - surprisingly quiet too. I just love my polo! There isn’t anything I don’t like about it. The interior is lovely, all the centre console is slight angled towards the driver which is cool. Plenty of boot space & enough long room in the back! I don’t think I’ll even get another brand of vehicle ever!

Badge77TSI Comfortline
Engine Size1.4L Turbo Petrol
Date PurchasedJun 2012

2011 VW Polo 1.6tdi nightmare

I previously owned a 1.9tdi Jetta which had
200 000kms on the clock when I sold it. The Jetta was reliable, solid and a pleasure to drive and it never gave me any problems.

Based on my previous experience with a VW tdi I didn't even hesitate to buy another one. Big mistake, the quality of the interior and exterior is such a disappointment. The car is sluggish and underpowered. There are signs of rust in both roof gutters, the car has always been garaged.
And to top it off a couple of weeks after VW performed the diesel emissions scandal software fix I've had to fork out $2000 to replace the egr valve/cooler @ 60 000kms. The car has a full service history with VW, I even make sure that I drive a constant speed on the highway for 30mins every 2 weeks to force the dpf to regenerate as a precaution. Won't ever buy a VW again.

Engine Size1.6L Turbo-Diesel
Date PurchasedJan 2015

Great zippy car

I purchased this car as my daily as I didn't want to many km on the car i use for work

Servicing is a tad high, but that is the price of going European. Even though it looks small on the outside it is roomy which is pleasing. I got both upgrade options on the Polo GTI

it is zippy & easy to drive, highly recommended.

Date PurchasedAug 2016

Love it

Had this car for 2 years now. Not cheap on servicing but so worth it. Amazing fun to drive and never had an issue. Definitely recommend. Didn't bother with the extras like reverse cameras and do not think they are needed. Still not sold on the ugly pattern on the seats though. Wish I could have got standard black.

Date PurchasedJul 2015

Great light car.

Got to remember this is a light car so does not have the get up and go other larger engines. Very easy to park in small spaces, good turning circle, fits four people with reasonable back seat leg room. Technology us good and has an excellent GPS system, warning when to close to car in front, etc.
I dislike the fact the ignition is difficult to find in the dark, the interior lights do not light this area, and the angle to insert the key is odd,. I hate the fact that at night the interior dash lights reflect in the drivers side mirror, no matter how the angle of the mirror is changed the lights are always seen. The back seat head rests restrict view out rear window, especially when parking or reversing. I have a reversing camera so this helps.

I do like the economy of running the car, it uses little petrol, and only has to be serviced once a year, where many cars are serviced twice.

BadgeTDI
Date PurchasedMar 2017

Love it!

Bought this second hand car a year ago and its still drives like a dream! It's a 2012 VW Polo TDI with the sports package and comfort package with panoramic sunroof. People mistake it as a Golf all the time... AND YES DIESEL! It has not failed me at all, even after the emission recall. Its zippy, practical and comfortable for city driving. Cannot fit five adults though - very crammed! Other than that, I am going to be keeping the car for a long while :)

Engine Size1.6L Turbo-Diesel
Date PurchasedSep 2016

Love my car

I bought this car with the driver assist package and it is awesome. It practically drives itself. It is quiet, zippy and comfortable to drive. Head rests could be improved. They are not particularly comfortable. It is very reliable and cheap to run. Also they use fancy oil so you only have to have one service a year. All the modern features make driving a pleasure. The only problem is it does not have a GPS, due to an incompatibility with the sound system.

Date PurchasedAug 2015

Good small car

bought this car one year ago everything been great but the radiator breakdown after 6 months driving it. The service guy said that a small rock has hit the radiator and the overheated the car. They said this is very rare that will happen and i am just unlucky that it happened on a brand new car. I also found that when i go down hill the engine creates a really loud sound. Other than that the small car been great and it is great on fuel cost. I use approx $50/week - runs at 500km.

Date PurchasedApr 2016

It's perfect for me

As a young adult on my P's having a Volkswagen Polo makes me feel very safe and secure. It uses very little petrol. Around $50 can last more than a week and its service fees are also very cheap (only once a year). I believe that is also has a very strong engine, it can reach the speed you'd like to go at a very quick rate of time.

Doors3
Date PurchasedMar 2017

Zippy little car

Great little car. It has the nice modern features, with reversing camera, fuel saving/engine off when stopped, auto driving lights, all the nice Bluetooth/connectivity you'd expect, as well as Android Auto (or the Apple equivalent) so I can chat to Google as I drive...or sometimes yell at Google! Fuel economy seems to be getting better as it gets more run in (still less than 10,000kms). I've been using the premium fuel of late and it has made a big difference to my fuel economy. Freeway driving will get around 4.5 l/100kms and around town anywhere between 5-7l/100kms. There is not a lot of room in the back seat, but it is a small car. Lots of airbags, and it even has a hidden CD player in the glove box. The hidden storage in the boot is nice to hide all those annoying small items too.

Date PurchasedOct 2016

Fantastic small car

I've got the Polo Trendline 66TSI 1.2L and it's super easy to drive, very fuel efficient and I love the features- such as plug in USB for music, ignition switch off at traffic lights, hooks for shopping bags.
It's a bit small though if you have got kids and need to lug around strollers/scooters/bikes and the like.
It's a pretty responsive and powerful car given its only 1.2L and it goes up hills beautifully.

BadgeTrendline
Date PurchasedSep 2015

A good choice for a single person

It is incredibly powerful as a small car with a 1.2 L engine. I will recommend it to people who travel around the city only. The reported average petrol consumption is around 4.6 L per 100 km. However, I'm not quite sure about the real petrol use. To maintain the best condition of the engine, you will have to use at least 95# petrol.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Are the polo diesel 2012 dpf?

Where on my2015 polo trendline 1.2 turbo is the oil filter cannot see because of air filter and other fittings
Under the engine . Access to it from underneath the car . Pull Off the plastic Cover you will see it.

Hiya, this seems like such a silly question but I can't find how to check my odometer!! I have a 2017 polo launch edition. I can find "since start" and "long term" km's but I can't find my total km's anywhere!
Hi Catriona. the stop start KMs are in the screen in the centre of the Dash. You need the ignition on and scroll through the menu for the cars techno information. The KMs are counted on a small screen in the centre of the tacho and the speedometerThat's where I was looking, I've been through every menu so many times and I can only find "short term" and "long term" km's, I can't find the total km's anywhere.Omg I finally found it. For some reason it's hidden behind the cruise control. When I turn off cruise control it's there. I just never usually have cruise control off - even when it's not actually engaged I still leave it on. I was looking under "driving data" which, if you ask me, would be a much more sensible place for it to be located!!

Volkswagen Polo AW 70TSI Trendline Manual (2017-2019)Volkswagen Polo AW 70TSI Trendline Automatic (2017-2019)Volkswagen Polo AW 85TSI Comfortline Manual (2017-2019)Volkswagen Polo AW 85TSI Comfortline Automatic (2017-2019)Volkswagen Polo AW GTI (2017-2019)Volkswagen Polo MK4 9N (2002-2010)Volkswagen Polo MK5.I 6R (2010-2014)Volkswagen Polo MK5.II 6R (2014-2017)Volkswagen Polo AW beats Manual (2016)Volkswagen Polo AW beats Automatic (2016)
CategoryHatchbacksHatchbacksHatchbacksHatchbacksHatchbacksHatchbacksHatchbacksHatchbacksHatchbacksHatchbacks
Starting Price $18,790$21,290$20,290$22,790$31,990
TransmissionManualDual-Clutch (DCT)ManualDual-Clutch (DCT)Dual-Clutch (DCT)
Drive TypeFront Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)
Fuel TypePetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrol
Wheels15" Steel15" Steel15" Alloy15" Alloy17" Alloy
ANCAP Safety Rating5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars
Doors5555555
Seats5555555
Fuel Consumption4.8 L/100km5 L/100km5.1 L/100km5 L/100km6.1 L/100km
Fuel Tank Capacity 40 L40 L40 L40 L40 L40 L40 L
Engine3 Cylinder 1.0L3 Cylinder 1.0L3 Cylinder 1.0L3 Cylinder 1.0L3 Cylinder 1.0L3 Cylinder 1.0L3 Cylinder 1.0L
Max Power70kW @ 5500rpm70kW @ 5500rpm85kW @ 5500rpm85kW @ 5500rpm147kW @ 6000rpm
Max Torque175Nm @ 2000-3500rpm175Nm @ 2000-3500rpm200Nm @ 2000-3500rpm200Nm @ 2000-3500rpm320Nm @ 1450-4390rpm
Country of ManufactureSouth AfricaSouth AfricaSouth AfricaSouth AfricaSouth AfricaSouth AfricaSouth Africa
Safety Features
Extra Features
  • Adjustable Pedals
  • Dual Zone Air Conditioning
  • Keyless Entry
  • USB Port
Manufacturer Warranty5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)
Release dateJan 2017Jan 2017Jan 2017Jan 2017Jan 2017Jan 2002Jan 2010Jan 2014Jan 2016Jan 2016
Discontinuation dateDec 2010Dec 2014Dec 2017Dec 2016Dec 2016