Volkswagen Tiguan 5N

Volkswagen Tiguan 5N (2008-2021) Questions & Answers

Also referred to as: Volkswagen Tiguan 5N 2020 and Volkswagen Tiguan 5N 2022. 103TDI, 132TSI, 147TSI, etc...

24 questions from our users

Robyn

Robynasked

Tiguan 5N (2008-2021)

We have a 2017 VW Tiguan 132 Comfortline with 32,000klms recently the water pump has failed & is currently @ VW Dealership awaiting to see if Volkswagen is going to do the repairs under an extended warranty as it is only 2 months out of warranty. Has anyone else had the same problem & what was the outcome. We have been told it will cost $400 for the pump & $600 labour.

dzeno

Fix it and sell the car if is 2017 model and water pump failed the what to expect whats next

Tony A.

Tony A.asked

Tiguan 5N (2008-2021)

What are the bad faults?

dzeno

Since I purchased my car I have replaced the following parts which are common issues for lots of people. Cluch kit which cost me more than $3000
The roof was leaking as is sunroof so i`ve put silicon on the plastic tubes,because of the leak roof liner was gone had to replace that, the roof curtain stopped working new one cost more then $1000.00
After that intake manifold replaced it twice as it fails all the time,next fuel injectors replaced then fuel pump failed, after that started leaking so main seal was replaced
I can only say one thing would not recommend this car to worse of enemy

Kyle R.asked

Tiguan 5N (2008-2021)

Hi, I am interested in purchasing a used tiguan 2012 Pacific 132tsi 6spd auto. It's in immaculate condition, no leaks no issues. Regularly serviced and only ever had ulp petrol. Kept in car garage overnight well looked after. 2 owners

It has 205,000 km on the clock. Am I buying into a money trap if I go ahead with this purchase? ($12000)

Lorraine
Lorraine

I hope you didn't buy it. My 2012 Tiguan has 138000 on the clock and has cost $3500 in turbo, ECP and water pump replacement. Issues with front passenger door hinge and fuel actuator problem so I can't get fuel in the car without whacking the fuel door. Now it is going to cost an extra
5000 because with all of the work done the piston issue wasn't diagnosed

Kyle R.

Ended up with a nissan dualis 2013 with 130,000 on the odo. Only had one owner. Tiguan didnt sound like a good idea

Joanne

Joanneasked

5N 132TSI (2011-2016)

What does the MY15 and MY16 mean with the 2015 models

Larry
Larry

One is my2015 made 2015 model and my16 could be 2015 made 2016 model or 2016 made 2016 model

Jess

Jessasked

5N 118TSI (2011-2016)

Has anyone brought a tiguan 2011?.

I.P. Daily
I.P. Daily

Frank hasked

Tiguan 5N (2008-2021)

km per lt on infotainment system is this after
air con and other usage 2016tiguan

Tin N.
Tin N.

Sorry Frank, I don't understand the question.

Frank h again
The question is (when kms per lt is shown on screen is this the kms you are getting while eccesories in use.
Because eccesories also show usage it looks like ther is no change in kms per lt

Fired Up

Sorry Frank, I don't understand the question.

Poss210

Poss210asked

Tiguan 5N (2008-2021)

Tiguan 2016 110TDI MY2017 comfortline with almost 100000km what problems can I expect?

Alby

Albyasked

Tiguan 5N Comfortline (2016-2021)

Fuel consumption has risen from 7L/100kms to 11L/100kms with no change in driving habits or trip length. Car is 3 years old and has 26,000 kms. Increase became apparent in last six months. Has anyone experienced similar?

Ted Jarvis

Ted Jarvisasked

Tiguan 5N (2008-2021)

What is VW's position on a 2010 Tiguan "clunk" at low speed, moving off and slow corners. I believe that there was a recall but the car is 9 years old.
Ted.

Ask VW

frank Nguyen

frank Nguyenasked

Tiguan 5N (2008-2021)

I owned a Tiguan 5N 118TSI MY12.5 model with climate control air-con, which exhibits intermittent issue. increase the temperature dial to 25 deg (ambient temp. about 16-20 deg) and still get cool air instead of warm. Does anyone have this issue?

Steve W.

Steve W.asked

Tiguan 5N (2008-2021)

Can you leave the bonnet/hood open for long periods of time? Will it affect the computer or battery on a 2018 tiguan ?

Ask VW

Cherry P.

Cherry P.asked

Tiguan 5N (2008-2021)

Engine turns off n won’t restart..sometimes won’t start. Mechanic said rat chewed wiring, replaced wiring..still doing it..not sure about the rat story now.

kristian.karov
kristian.karov

Haven't heard of that issue. It might be a computer glitch. Electronics are causing more and more problems everywhere.

Liam

Liamasked

Tiguan 5N (2008-2021)

Hi I just bought a 2010 Tiguan and there is a funny drone from behind the dash when the ac is off but when it’s turned on it goes away. Any ideas?

Alison
Alison

Sorry no - mine doesn't do that.

Arafat

Arafatasked

Tiguan 5N (2008-2021)

I got a 2009 vw Tiguan with 98000km. My intake manifold switch/ sensor is not working properly. Does it cover the warranty!!

How to fix it and cost please!! Any help!!

Bill K
Bill K

Problem may be dirty intake system and clogged pcv and other vacuum tubes. Get a mechanic to try a proprietary cleaner approved by VW in manifold and near turbo.

dragonfather
dragonfather

seeing the youtube video

Dawn T

Dawn Tasked

Tiguan 5N (2008-2021)

My Tiguan 2009 twice in 2 days refused to turn off engine even when key turned to off then removed! I put key back in and turned on then off again, that worked, but what causes this?

Excited_User
Excited_User

You may need to speak to a VW service department with that or your local mechanic, that doesn't sound right at all. Hope it works out.

Mildred Devillena

Mildred Devillenaasked

Tiguan 5N (2008-2021)

I live here in Anchorage Alaska. I owned a 2010 Tiguan Volkswagen. As I experienced my Tiguan fail to start in the morning on our minus 7 degrees temperature what should I do? Pls E. Mail me Betsaydadred@yahoo.com. thank you.

Peejay
Peejay

Hi Mildred,
Hello from Caloundra,QLD, Australia.
Sounds like your battery,if you are only getting a clicking sound from under the bonnet,there is not enough charge in your battery to turn over ther starter motor, battery has gone. You need to have it checked by your auto club road assist if you have one there,and replace with a battery that is suitable for those conditions and your car. Being so cold,batteries need to be fully charged at all times! your alternator should also be checked that it is charging at the correct amperage. Batteries can be lazy,an auto expression,means your battery is not working hard enough to be able to keep the charge. Driving with lights on will help to work the battery, short runs in your cold conditions is not good for Diesel engines,I am assuming you have a petrol engine, being garaged will help also to keep battery life, warmer conditions. I hope this helps you out Mildred.
Cheers
PeeJay

tiguan tsi 155asked

Tiguan 5N (2008-2021)

Transmission knocking and creeking only when in driving slow in streets from third to second gear mostly has anyone had a problem like this? I just had my transmission service yesterday and it's still the same now I have some more Knicks whilst driving in a strait line when backing off or increasing speed a lilt more.
Hope Someone can help me trying to find out how to get it fixed. thank you

Alan C

VW had a transmission recall program for the seven speed transmission I believe. I suggest you find out what transmission you have and contact the dealer.

Hi thanks for the reply
The dealer advised my transmission was not the one that was recalled
Thanks anyway

greg

gregasked

Tiguan 5N (2008-2021)

Have a 2011 Tiguan lock problem. The rear trunk wont unlock and the driver door and right passenger door wont lock. Any ideas please ?

REGS12
REGS12

Sorry Greg, know nothing of your problem

Hi Greg
Sorry but I can't help you with this. My only thought would be to check fuses first as I would find it very unlikely that all three would stop at the same time for mechanical reasons.
Good luck.

Maria Guballa

Maria Guballaasked

Tiguan 5N (2008-2021)

Starting from 2009 does anyone know where Tiguan Volkswagen were assembled?

VW-Never Again
VW-Never Again

The July 2008 Tiguan that caused me so much grief was assembled in Germany. I think they continued to be sourced from there for the Australian market for at least the next few years - possibly longer

DreamensioN

They are assembled in Wolfsburg, Germany.

Bobby

Bobbyasked

Tiguan 5N (2008-2021)

My 2010 Tiguan's air con compressor has just failed. The car has done almost 60000km. The people who replaced it told me that they had one with the same problem the day before and that they have also had a fair number of Golfs with the same problem. Is this a common problem?

ramski
ramski

I do not know of air con issues. But engine oil consumption issue is apparently common with TSI engines which is also used in Golf and Tiguan. The fix is to change the engine block according to VW Germany. As long as it is under warranty this would be handled as warranty repairs at no cost to the owner, it seems.

Navarre
Navarre

We're beyond 60000 in our 2010 tsi and no issues have come up with the aircon nor have I heard anything in that regard from other owners before now.

DreamensioN

The air conditioner failure is a known issue. It's documented here: http://www.my-gti.com/2583/volkswagen-golf-gti-passat-jetta-eos-rabbit-and-tiguan-air-conditioner-compressor-failure. Volkswagen Technical Product Information # 2023580/1, Repair Operation # 87 34 01 99. There are a few car forums around where people have had VW fix the issue even though the car is outside the warranty period. It seems because it was a known issue - Volkswagen (in Australia at least), will pay for the parts and the customer will pay for the labour if the car is outside warranty. This still means around a $600-$700 cost to the owner of the vehicle, but it's better than the $2600-$2800 it costs to replace the air conditioning compressor.

Other Midsize / Medium SUVs