Volkswagen Tiguan 5N
Part of Volkswagen Tiguan 3.6

Volkswagen Tiguan 5N (2008-2016) Questions & Answers (page 2)

Dawn T
Dawn T · Tiguan 5N (2008-2016)

My Tiguan 2009 twice in 2 days refused to turn off engine even when key turned to off then removed! I put key back in and turned on then off again, that worked, but what causes this?

Excited_User
Excited_User

You may need to speak to a VW service department with that or your local mechanic, that doesn't sound right at all. Hope it works out.

Mildred Devillena
Mildred Devillena · Tiguan 5N (2008-2016)

I live here in Anchorage Alaska. I owned a 2010 Tiguan Volkswagen. As I experienced my Tiguan fail to start in the morning on our minus 7 degrees temperature what should I do? Pls E. Mail me Betsaydadred@yahoo.com. thank you.

Peejay
Peejay

Hi Mildred,

Hello from Caloundra,QLD, Australia.

Sounds like your battery,if you are only getting a clicking sound from under the bonnet,there is not enough charge in your battery to turn over ther starter motor, battery has gone. You need to have it checked by your auto club road assist if you have one there,and replace with a battery that is suitable for those conditions and your car. Being so cold,batteries need to be fully charged at all times! your alternator should also be checked that it is charging at the correct amperage. Batteries can be lazy,an auto expression,means your battery is not working hard enough to be able to keep the charge. Driving with lights on will help to work the battery, short runs in your cold conditions is not good for Diesel engines,I am assuming you have a petrol engine, being garaged will help also to keep battery life, warmer conditions. I hope this helps you out Mildred.

Cheers

PeeJay

tiguan tsi 155
tiguan tsi 155 · Tiguan 5N (2008-2016)

Transmission knocking and creeking only when in driving slow in streets from third to second gear mostly has anyone had a problem like this? I just had my transmission service yesterday and it's still the same now I have some more Knicks whilst driving in a strait line when backing off or increasing speed a lilt more.

Hope Someone can help me trying to find out how to get it fixed. thank you

Alan C

VW had a transmission recall program for the seven speed transmission I believe. I suggest you find out what transmission you have and contact the dealer.

Hi thanks for the reply

The dealer advised my transmission was not the one that was recalled

Thanks anyway

greg
greg · Tiguan 5N (2008-2016)

Have a 2011 Tiguan lock problem. The rear trunk wont unlock and the driver door and right passenger door wont lock. Any ideas please ?

REGS12
REGS12

Sorry Greg, know nothing of your problem

Hi Greg

Sorry but I can't help you with this. My only thought would be to check fuses first as I would find it very unlikely that all three would stop at the same time for mechanical reasons.

Good luck.

Maria Guballa
Maria Guballa · Tiguan 5N (2008-2016)

Starting from 2009 does anyone know where Tiguan Volkswagen were assembled?

VW-Never Again
VW-Never Again

The July 2008 Tiguan that caused me so much grief was assembled in Germany. I think they continued to be sourced from there for the Australian market for at least the next few years - possibly longer

DreamensioN

They are assembled in Wolfsburg, Germany.

Bobby
Bobby · Tiguan 5N (2008-2016)

My 2010 Tiguan's air con compressor has just failed. The car has done almost 60000km. The people who replaced it told me that they had one with the same problem the day before and that they have also had a fair number of Golfs with the same problem. Is this a common problem?

ramski
ramski

I do not know of air con issues. But engine oil consumption issue is apparently common with TSI engines which is also used in Golf and Tiguan. The fix is to change the engine block according to VW Germany. As long as it is under warranty this would be handled as warranty repairs at no cost to the owner, it seems.

Navarre

We're beyond 60000 in our 2010 tsi and no issues have come up with the aircon nor have I heard anything in that regard from other owners before now.

DreamensioN

The air conditioner failure is a known issue. It's documented here: http://www.my-gti.com/2583/volkswagen-golf-gti-passat-jetta-eos-rabbit-and-tiguan-air-conditioner-compressor-failure. Volkswagen Technical Product Information # 2023580/1, Repair Operation # 87 34 01 99. There are a few car forums around where people have had VW fix the issue even though the car is outside the warranty period. It seems because it was a known issue - Volkswagen (in Australia at least), will pay for the parts and the customer will pay for the labour if the car is outside warranty. This still means around a $600-$700 cost to the owner of the vehicle, but it's better than the $2600-$2800 it costs to replace the air conditioning compressor.

Ramz
Ramz

Yep: my golfs compressor failed at 65000 ks and it's a very common issue with vw and also with ECU issues: I have moved on and driving a Maxima for peace of mind :)

Rolf

The air conditioner was not always cold in our 2011 Tiguan at the start of this summer, just out of warranty. Adelaide dealer wanted to charge us for a re-gas and test. Annoyed, I did some research, finding: 1/.This is not the compressor with a known pulley nut problem. 2/.The Tiguan has a variable displacement compressor. These have a control valve that can get stuck. This seemed consistent with the erratic behaviour. The VW manual says "replace the compressor". This is expensive, I ordered a replacement valve from China for $40. Removing and replacing the gas was going to cost $170. Then I spoke to the Pt Augusta service manager. He agreed to check my diagnosis with pressure testing and consider warranty. I made the appointment for the following Monday. A weekend heatwave was forecast. In desperation I cycled the control from Max Hot to Max Cold a few times. It came good. I cancelled the test. That was a month ago and it is still working OK. If it happens again I will fit the valve.

DreamensioN

I just wanted to write a follow up to the compressor issue we had. Just after Christmas we took the above Volkswagen Technical Product Information and Repair Operation number to VW when we went and had our Tiguan looked at by VW to confirm it was an air conditioner compressor issue. (Our Tiguan had a failed compressor also, and searching on the net is what lead me to that mygti URL, and also what lead me to post my previous answer on here). Anyway - VW Australia replaced ours (parts & warranty) at no charge to us because it was a known issue. Our vehicle was 7 months outside it's 3yrs warranty. I can't guarantee everyone will have the same experience we had (as I've read many places that VW only pay for parts, and the customer has to pay for labour), but in our situation - they covered the lot. I'm not sure if I can mention by name which VW dealership this was at, but... it's at Springwood, QLD, along the highway.

Rolf

An update to my previous reply: At 98,000 km the air conditioner failed again in our 2011 103TDI Tiguan. I took it to the dealer and paid a $100 for a diagnosis. The Low Side pressure was 50 PSI at idle and 40 PSI at higher revs. This is abnormally high so I was convinced the compressor was not stroking properly. I was advised that a new compressor and TX valve were required, as per the instructions in the VW manual. It would not leave much change out of a couple grand. The service manager was reluctant to do a goodwill claim and I was sick of baking in a hot car, so I requested that the new $40 Chinese control valve be installed at my expense (see earlier posting above). The charge was $150 and the system has worked perfectly since. There were a few bits of metal stuck in the mesh screen of the old valve. Some smaller bits must have got through and jammed the valve. This is consistent with the experience of other owners as described on several forums I discovered. It should not happen in a 3-1/2 year old vehicle with less than 100,000 km. The metal particles suggest the compressor has a terminal problem but if it was replaced I have no confidence it wouldn't fail again in another 90,000 km. Maybe I am lucky but in 40 years of driving I have never had an air-conditioner fail until now and I have never had to spend $310 on an unscheduled repair to a 3-1/2 year-old vehicle, let alone the cost of the repair VW recommend. In my opinion European cars have become too complex to be reliable and the warranty is inadequate under these circumstances. My next vehicle will be Korean unless some other manufacturer offers a 7 year warranty when the time comes. That time may be decided when the air conditioner plays-up again!

JennyH
JennyH

We have a 2009 diesel Tiguan our a/c went in the warranty period and the compressor was replaced. Next time it went it was outside the warranty and the dealer charged us $2000. It went again at the 4 year mark and now again at 5.5 years. I've had it with VW especially now with the lies over dieselgate. the dealers are happy to get your business but drop you like a hot potato when there's a problem. Our aircon has cost us $6000 in 5.5 years. Very unhappy customer.

Rolf

Thanks for your post Jenny, it supports my hypothesis that a replacement compressor would fail after the same life as the original. This is a hot summer so I have been very thankful my $40 Chinese control valve is still giving me icy cold air on demand. The evidence points to an inherent compressor manufacturing or design issue. Either machining debris remains in the compressor from the factory or the compressor produces sizable bits of wear debris in operation. If it is the former my replacement valve may run for a long time. The latter will result in another failure. My compressor is a Sanden PXE16. I bought the valve here: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-quality-compressor-control-valve-frequency-conversion-valve-solenoid-valve-first-soar-team-magotan-al-gore/1695470938.html. The valve is easy to fit but the problem was to find a licensed a/c service person who would agree to perform the task. If my new valve runs for 3 years, like the original, the saving will be $1,800. I have high hopes but write this post with considerable trepidation that it might jinx my compressor!

Robert Luo
Robert Luo · Tiguan 5N (2008-2016)

I just bought new tiguan 132tsi, i feel the sound is very loud, when i keeping speed drive. I stoped the car is quite, up speed is ok, down and keeping speed the noise is coming. the car only 400km.

Rolf

I don't know what type of noise is bothering you but here is my experience: Our 103 TDI makes a drumming noise at town speeds. I first thought it was caused by a torque reaction at low engine speed. Now I think it is just exhaust resonance, since I cannot feel any vibration. I consider it the price we pay for good fuel economy. I don't notice it now. Tyres with an off-road tread were fitted by mistake at 90,000 km. These are very noisy at town speed but at 100 kph they go quiet. The car is mostly used for highway cruising and the chunky tyres are wearing well so I left them on. In my opinion off-road tread tyres are best fitted only to vehicles where the body is rubber mounted on a chassis to isolate the road noise. I will make sure our next set of tyres are designed for low noise.

bob b
bob b

I have recently bought a 2010 103 tdi with 4motion, dsg 7. & 70,000klms.

It has all the "fruit"on it.

I too had a rumble in the engine at low revs, but did some trials & came up with a

nice surprise, the Engine cover on the TDI suffers from loosening with age & kms i`m sure.

So what I did was jam some scrunched up paper between the Engine cover & the rocker cover

my vibration disappeared, its nice to know its nothing major & prob caused by the TDI idle vibration.

You could possibly increase the idle a fraction to simplify.

I really dig the car & I got out of a Range Rover before this.

i hope this helps

bob B

Jan
Jan · Tiguan 5N (2008-2016)

Does the 4X4 come in automatic please? Most things I've read seem to indicate manual .We are looking fro a new or demo latest model only thanks.

Janz

Jenny
Jenny

The Tiguan is actually full time all wheel drive, not sure if that's the same as 4x4, but definitely comes in auto. Be sure to follow the latest news re the problems people are having with VWs before you buy. We are still happy with our Tiguan and have not had the problems subject of current recalls.

Navarre

Yes. The 4Motion we have is AUTO 7 Speed DSG.

Our experience echoes Jenny's, a fine vehicle and in over three years we have had no issues, but that said the Tiguan, Touareg and Amarok are not affected by the current recall anyway.

We have taken it off road numerous times, at least twice a month on day trips, but the manufacturer's advice as per the manual is that the vehicle is not designed for expeditions - meaning don't take a week odyssey through the harshest Australian outback or on a trip with hours of off road driving in one go.

It is a crossover vehicle and not a dedicated 4X4.

T. Elamal
T. Elamal · Tiguan 5N (2008-2016)

Specifications for tiguan 2010 DSG 7sp 4-Motion?

Good morning,

See here:

Kind regards.

Det
Det

volkswagon tiguan 103tdi 6 spd auto 2.0L 103kw Tdi built 03/10 .

Glen95
Glen95 · Tiguan 5N (2008-2016)

About how much does a service cost for Tiguan and are parts much more expensive than say Toyota Rav 4. I am considering buying a Tiguan.

gr82buy
gr82buy

Parts for sure would cost more than a Toyota. Service would also cost a bit more but one thing to note is Toyota needs 2 services a year whereas Tiguan needs one, so the difference may not be much. You will pay more for a European compared to a Japanese & the price is for an advanced engine, safety, superior drive & comfor. Feel good factor!

Brian M09
Brian M09

I can't comment on Rav4 prices but the service costs for my Tiguan have been: $383 at 15,000km, $493 at 30,000km, $461 at 45,000km, and $978 at 60,000km.

If I were you, I would be looking for an extended warranty as part of the sales price - particularly if the car has a DSG gearbox (I have read a number of comments about problems with this gearbox and it is apparently very expensive to fix out of warranty)

Andrew58
Andrew58

I just had my 09 diesel Tiguan serviced in Bega NSW, 60,000k service, it was a tick less then $300. The biggest expense was the diesel fuel filter at $75( VW gen part). The service was not done at a VW dealership.

Navarre

We take ours to an independant mechanic that is VW, BMW, etc certified with VW trained techs, using genuine parts and so on.

That crucial info out of the way, it really depends on where you go when it comes to cost. Dealers will always charge more. If my dealer matched the independant's price, I'd have gone with the dealer. The difference is about $180.

The cost of parts is, to me, negligable, when the cost difference in having the work done is so much cheaper.

Just remember, as has been mentioned, that although the TIGUAN's (dealer) servicing is more expensive than, say, Toyota, its only the one yearly service that is required. Some, not all, of its contemporaries still have bi-yearly services and although the cost of a service is cheaper, added together the two services are, from known shared experiences, typically more than a single TIGUAN service.

Get an answer from our members and Volkswagen representatives

Select a listing for your question
Volkswagen Tiguan 5N (2008-2016)