2Volkswagen Tiguan

Volkswagen Tiguan Questions & Answers

Robbo
Robbo · Tiguan 5N (2008-2016)

Does the Tiguan r have any problems with the front end as I have a glc 43 and the front end a shocker

None to date.
Just had the trailing arm bushes on the rear end changed. Rest of suspension original @ 165,000km

Paul L
Paul L · 5N 132TSI (2011-2016)

Are there any known problems with the Dual Clutch on VW Tiguan 5N 132TSI - ( 2011- 2016 ).

Could any of these Clutches be the Aisin type ?

Specifically, are there known instances where the clutches Hesitate/Hunt.

Kind Regards,

Paul Lepelaar

Craig C.

Yes. More an inconvenience.
There is sometimes a time delay when initially accelerating, 1sec approx, which is concernong till you get used to it.
Apparently there are 3rd parties who can program this out.

Overall we love our Tiguan
Had it since new from 2012.
Ours is a "diesel-gate" model which I refused to get "fixed" asI am extremely happy with tbe power/torque and fuel economy.

Footnote:
This does not happen all time...irregular intervals.

Paul L
Paul L · 5N 132TSI (2011-2016)

Are there any concerns with the torque converter ?

Hi,
Are there any longer term ( 130,000-km ) with the Torque Converter ?
Kind Regards,
Paul Lepelaar

Craig C.

Not that I have heard...had our Tiguan since 2012 & now >160,000km onthe clock.
Still running beautifully.

A K.
A K.

Can't say. Though, maybe you'll learn from my mistake and steer clear of VW.

Thanks Craig.
My Daughter has a 2013,2 litre Tiguan. It occasionally hesitates mainly when going uphill. Fix according to VW Specialist is very expensive, and on Testing elsewhere may appear to not be correct. Last week I had a repair done, by known Company with Experise ( have known for 50 years ) for one third of quoted VW repair. Who is kidding who ? Many Thanks, Paul Lepelaar

Ashley C.
Ashley C. · Tiguan 5N (2008-2016)

Does the 2013 vw tiguan 132tsi have paddle shifters?

Zacjefcoate
Zacjefcoate · Tiguan 5N (2008-2016)

Hi team

Just bought a 2017, vw r line in WA, we have our bub due Jan 2022. Wondering if its reliable, roadworthy and if we can service it anywhere as its out of warranty, in addition heard so many mixed reviews from people who love it to people saying, nothing but issues mechanical and electrical, we bought it at 50 000 km. What are the main issues after 50 k, just deciding if we get an extended warranty

Sam
Sam · Tiguan 5N (2008-2016)

Hi all.. planning to buy Tiguan 132 TSI All space ..need your advice and suggestions to consider any common issues in new models ..TIA

Sammy

The allspace is far roomier than I expected I had one as a loan car after my '18 Tiguan 2.0 highline got a coolant leak. The technology in these cars is nothing short of fantastic. Do some research, get the longest warranty you can get 5 year+, as there is issues with plastic parts such as water pumps, thermostats.
Check into timing belt/chain issues. Even after revised components, and covers, there is reports of some engines being completely wrecked as timing has jumped with less than 100k.
My tig has done 50,000 and no major issues just the minor coolant leak which was covered by warranty.

Sam

Thanks for your time and feedback. I also heard similar issues with Tig especially oil leakage and engine breakdown

Mark W.
Mark W. · Tiguan 5N (2008-2016)

2009 147 Petrol TSI Tiguan losing a lot of coolant each day. How much for new radiator and approx service cost please?

Nathan Goodall
Nathan Goodall

bummer Mark, I can't help as never had an issue with car yet, if you are in Brisbane..ALBA mechanic is the best around

Ok thx anyway. I’m in Victoria

Armchair Reviewer No. 1

Repco radiator with 2 year warranty or 50,000 warranty is about $260. You could grab one at your local Repco mechanic, and take it to a German auto service specialist. Always ring your local Volkswagen guy to compare, but I find servicing by non-VW professionals just as good if not better, and a lot cheaper. eBay and Amazon.com.au are also a good source for spare parts. I recently got myself replacement headlights for the other car - a BF Falcon. $190 delivered free for a pair on eBay or $450 from Ford for OEM. The mechanic couldn't tell the difference in terms of quality.

Armchair Reviewer No. 1

PS - you should get all the necessary hoses to go with the radiator whilst you're at it.

Robyn
Robyn · Tiguan 5N (2008-2016)

We have a 2017 VW Tiguan 132 Comfortline with 32,000klms recently the water pump has failed & is currently @ VW Dealership awaiting to see if Volkswagen is going to do the repairs under an extended warranty as it is only 2 months out of warranty. Has anyone else had the same problem & what was the outcome. We have been told it will cost $400 for the pump & $600 labour.

dzeno

Fix it and sell the car if is 2017 model and water pump failed the what to expect whats next

Sammy

I have read a lot about these water pumps failing as they are made of plastic housing and don't respond to heat well. How was your response from VW and as good will they should have covered it.

Zacjefcoate

I bought a 2017, would a dealer warranty cover the water pump if I didn't buy from vw

Jo Bee
Jo Bee

Not only the water pump failed last year but today the transmission did too. It is running with ' 'Emergency Gearbox Mode, drive on' warning on the screen. Very scary to drive as changing gears is very jumpy.
Both issues are known Tiguan 2017 problems. The local dealer tried to charge me for the water pump but I stood my ground and today I was told by the dealer I bought the car from, they would check with Tiguan to see if they will fix it as the car is 2 years out of warranty. I just saw there is a major class action in the USA for the 2022 model with basically the same transmission problem. This will be the last Tiguan I buy.

Tony A.
Tony A. · Tiguan 5N (2008-2016)

What are the bad faults?

dzeno

Since I purchased my car I have replaced the following parts which are common issues for lots of people. Cluch kit which cost me more than $3000
The roof was leaking as is sunroof so i`ve put silicon on the plastic tubes,because of the leak roof liner was gone had to replace that, the roof curtain stopped working new one cost more then $1000.00
After that intake manifold replaced it twice as it fails all the time,next fuel injectors replaced then fuel pump failed, after that started leaking so main seal was replaced
I can only say one thing would not recommend this car to worse of enemy

Crap, I just bought one

Kyle R.
Kyle R. · Tiguan 5N (2008-2016)

Hi, I am interested in purchasing a used tiguan 2012 Pacific 132tsi 6spd auto. It's in immaculate condition, no leaks no issues. Regularly serviced and only ever had ulp petrol. Kept in car garage overnight well looked after. 2 owners

It has 205,000 km on the clock. Am I buying into a money trap if I go ahead with this purchase? ($12000)

Lorraine
Lorraine

I hope you didn't buy it. My 2012 Tiguan has 138000 on the clock and has cost $3500 in turbo, ECP and water pump replacement. Issues with front passenger door hinge and fuel actuator problem so I can't get fuel in the car without whacking the fuel door. Now it is going to cost an extra
5000 because with all of the work done the piston issue wasn't diagnosed

Kyle R.

Ended up with a nissan dualis 2013 with 130,000 on the odo. Only had one owner. Tiguan didnt sound like a good idea

Joanne
Joanne · 5N 132TSI (2011-2016)

What does the MY15 and MY16 mean with the 2015 models

Larry
Larry

One is my2015 made 2015 model and my16 could be 2015 made 2016 model or 2016 made 2016 model

Jess
Jess · 5N 118TSI (2011-2016)

Has anyone brought a tiguan 2011?.

I.P. Daily
I.P. Daily

Frank h
Frank h · Tiguan 5N (2008-2016)

km per lt on infotainment system is this after
air con and other usage 2016tiguan

Tin N.
Tin N.

Sorry Frank, I don't understand the question.

Frank h again
The question is (when kms per lt is shown on screen is this the kms you are getting while eccesories in use.
Because eccesories also show usage it looks like ther is no change in kms per lt

Fired Up

Sorry Frank, I don't understand the question.

Poss210
Poss210 · Tiguan 5N (2008-2016)

Tiguan 2016 110TDI MY2017 comfortline with almost 100000km what problems can I expect?

Ted Jarvis
Ted Jarvis · Tiguan 5N (2008-2016)

What is VW's position on a 2010 Tiguan "clunk" at low speed, moving off and slow corners. I believe that there was a recall but the car is 9 years old.
Ted.

Ask VW

frank Nguyen
frank Nguyen · Tiguan 5N (2008-2016)

I owned a Tiguan 5N 118TSI MY12.5 model with climate control air-con, which exhibits intermittent issue. increase the temperature dial to 25 deg (ambient temp. about 16-20 deg) and still get cool air instead of warm. Does anyone have this issue?

Steve W.
Steve W. · Tiguan 5N (2008-2016)

Can you leave the bonnet/hood open for long periods of time? Will it affect the computer or battery on a 2018 tiguan ?

Ask VW

Cherry P.
Cherry P. · Tiguan 5N (2008-2016)

Engine turns off n won’t restart..sometimes won’t start. Mechanic said rat chewed wiring, replaced wiring..still doing it..not sure about the rat story now.

kristian.karov
kristian.karov

Haven't heard of that issue. It might be a computer glitch. Electronics are causing more and more problems everywhere.

Liam
Liam · Tiguan 5N (2008-2016)

Hi I just bought a 2010 Tiguan and there is a funny drone from behind the dash when the ac is off but when it’s turned on it goes away. Any ideas?

Alison
Alison

Sorry no - mine doesn't do that.

Arafat
Arafat · Tiguan 5N (2008-2016)

I got a 2009 vw Tiguan with 98000km. My intake manifold switch/ sensor is not working properly. Does it cover the warranty!!

How to fix it and cost please!! Any help!!

Bill K
Bill K

Problem may be dirty intake system and clogged pcv and other vacuum tubes. Get a mechanic to try a proprietary cleaner approved by VW in manifold and near turbo.

dragonfather
dragonfather

seeing the youtube video

Get an answer from our members and Volkswagen representatives

Select a listing for your question
Volkswagen Tiguan