Volkswagen Transporter T4

Volkswagen Transporter T4

Best of a great bunch

I bought a T4 three years ago with 300K kilometres on the clock. It is the 5 cyl 2.5litre petrol converted to dual fuel ( since new) . It has just ticked over 400K and is still purring. I have driven VW vans my whole life and consider this particular model to be virtually bullet proof...Bruce

BadgePriceless
    Date PurchasedJan 2015

Simon i

Simon iTerrigal

Reliable. Fuel efficient.

Reliability excellent
    Cost of parts can be high
    Extremely fuel efficient
    Tough
    Cheap to run
    Bought at 100000 I’ve done 150000 more and only replaced tyres, brakes and clutch.
    Good amount of space and carrying capacity
    Few jiggly things like door handles failing, otherwise can’t failt it........it’s 15 years old

Badge103TDI
    Date PurchasedFeb 2011

Nearly as reliable as a swiss watch or a swiss .....

Badge2.0L Van customised April 1994

WandererMelbourne

Cheapest car I've ever had

BadgeKombi
    Date PurchasedDec 2012

You need to ask more questions

Handling of this vehicle is heavy. Performance, steering is good. Interior is great.
    Seller did not disclose major repairs needed - neither did the paid inspector list major issues on pre-purchase.
    You need to fully inspect all Transporters, and from various inspectors independently, prior to purchase (which I thought I paid for)
    Running costs are average.
    Repairs are expensive for all Volkswagon vehicles. I need to warn you re this. Don't go genuine parts.
    If you have the right mechanic who is in the know, you can get parts much cheaper elsewhere.
    Fuel economy is only average.

It all depends on what type of VW vehicle you want, and what you expect it to do for you. Many don't deliver expectations.

BadgeDon't have one
    WheelbaseLong
    Date PurchasedMay 2017

The house of ms

The house of msGympie

Transporter 1994 & 1997

I have a 1994 transporter with 492,000km on the clock & the last 6 months I thrashed it knowing I was taking it off the road- due only roadworthy issues - I owned it for 4 years and spent almost nothing on the mechanics. I now have a 1997 transporter and I do get between 500-600km per tank - I've read some reviews that say - the meaner you treat them - the more they will give you. After sitting on Japanese motors especially in Australia NSW & QLD summers I truly appreciate the motor out the front and not under my bum. I did have a hiace camper and even on a trip was battling to get 350km out of the tank. Thus far the transporters have been good value for me.

BadgeTransporter

Great workhorse

Good car, pretty reliable, just make sure you don't drive it nicely. I drove it nicely, the result was a hard-to-start van that required both heat and more power to start, since then I've tried killing it, but it hasn't failed me. It has started in as low as -25C without problems, towed a lot, and been used for long and short trips alike. The front bumper is about to fall off, signal lights have fallen off, the front lights almost fell off, its rusting nicely, but after 330000, what can you expect?! Never changed transmission, never changed the engine, no big repairs at all.

BadgeGL

PeterGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Money pit

T4 vw transporter is fantastic when new !
    But when it reached 150000 km , it is a money pit....
    Sorry to say , but a humble toyota hiace is a far more reliable vehicle.I always hear great stories about vw doing 400-500 's kms and more, but how much do you have to spend to get to that mileage !I
    If they were that good , why do you have to keep spending money on replacing parts at 150 000 km.......

Engine Size2.0L
    Peter

I agree , the VW T4 is not as good as people think it is.
    The parts are ridiculously expensive here in Australia ,not worth having the headache and trouble. Go for a tough Japanese engineered van !

2001 Space Shuttle

Impressive space, luxury, comfort in a performance vehicle. 2.5Tdi auto ex ambo with seats curtains, tint dual air all windows LWB just went round Aus at 100mph. Try doing that. 80l tank helps heaps. Eats up highways , bit of a slug in town but economical @ 10l/100km. Engine diesel noisy but whisper quiet cruising. Fuel additives help.Likes tyres and oil changes esp transmission. Get prof service on majors and quality techicians, this is not a Japanese or holden and so has quirks that need knowhow. 190,000km and ready to do it again
    Luxury and performance with economy
    Expensive parts, frequent service, bad service

TransmissionAutomatic

Pete

PeteIllawarra, NSW

1996 T4 Semi-camper

T4, 2.5L 5 cylinder petrol, manual - bought new in 96 and converted to semi-camper by TRAKKA. Travelled 220K over 7 years with 40K towing a 1.5 tonne caravan. Some minor problems but all in all a very good, reliable vehicle. Still had original clutch and rear brakes when sold.
    Pretty fuel efficient for its size - average 11L/100K overall (16L/100K towing)
    Nothing major

maximusthrashamus

maximusthrashamusnsw, 2044

only buy them new

ajayvius

ajayvius

OK

This vehicle has an excellent cargo carrying capacity with a wide opening rear door and ability to store a large amount of material in the back. The engine is very reliable though it is a bit heavy on fuel. Suitable as a round town delivery vehicle though not so good on the open road.
    Solid, dependable, reliable German engineered vehicle.
    The heater has got stuck on at times which makes it very hot inside the cabin. The drivers seat is stuck in a very upright erect position which can make it very uncomfortable to be driving this vehicle over long distances or sitting in it over long periods of time.

MrsCackle

MrsCackleAU

T4 Dual Cab Work horse with space & comfort

See all Volkswagen Transporter reviews

Wiremu w.

Wiremu w.asked

I’m about to buy a 1997 Volkswagen transporter with 335000 km on it, is this a big risk on it breaking down and getting problems, the owner says it hasn’t missed a service and just got a new belt last month.
    He wants $6000 but I thought that was far to priced and was thinking $4600,
    Would anyone be able to let me know much about the van please.
    Parts etc if it’s due to brake down with the km.

Cheers

Kimbo

Kimboasked

Just recently got a 99 t4. Petrol 5cyl , manual , After turning off the car is it common for the fan to stay on for little while after the key has been turned off.

yesitsme
    yesitsme

Pretty normal for any car. Once engine has cooled sufficiently, it will turn off

Nick L.asked

My t4 transporter 2.5 petrol runs rough and splatters especially when it rains. When it does start, It misses and stalls if I don"t keep the revs up, until whatever is happening warms up or dry up. I put a new No 30 relay but made no difference. What I have noticed is that it only does this when its raining. In fine weather it starts first turn 99% of the time, but when its raining, or there is moisture in the air, its the reverse, it struggles to start and runs really rough. i have to ride the clutch to get going with splattering, coughing, and farting along the way. After about 15 mins of driving it slowly, clears up and then it runs fine. I have taken the van to my mechanic, but it starts for him first time and the problem has long gone by then for him to diagnose. He also looked at fault codes but nothing. Anyone else had a similar problem with their VW? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nick L.

I also notice its starts to misfire under load during fine weather, what are the main parts I need to change to know I have done everything I could to get it running right. any help would be appreciated.

Kees
    Kees

Hi Nick,
    over the past year, my 2001 automatic T4 stalled whilst driving every time it went through a deluge of rain. As yours too seems an electrical issue you might want to verify any exposed cracks or wires etc. We decided to replace the coil just last week. X fingers, will keep you informed. Kees

Get an answer from our members and Volkswagen representatives

Other Utes