Volkswagen Transporter T4

Volkswagen Transporter T4 Questions & Answers

52 questions from our users

how to check auto oil in 1998 vw transporter t4 2500 petrol motor

Hi can i fit 3 seats into the front of a 1994 VW Transporter manual transmission currently fitted with 2 seats? cheers Niki

Hi I want to know Is 1995 t4 2.5 patrol auto transmission will fits in 2003 t4 2.5tdi? In other words can I put 1995 patrol auto gearbox to 2003 diesel t4? Thank you

where can I buy a timing cover as I cant find 1 for a t4 petrol
Wreckers, t4 forums, t4 Facebook pages.

Hi. I've just purchased a 98 transporter 2.0 for 800 cash. It's registered and running well although it's having trouble getting into second gear. The sale included a separate gearbox if I want to fit it later on. Has anyone else had this issue. Any other upkeep tips would be greatly appreciated. She has about 390ks on her, high I know.

where do you get suitable spare shock absorbers and coils (both for rear), VW in Sydney will not even deign to reply? An English outfit responded offering original parts - but for a 2000 T4. Are they identical? And I haven't even dared check the prices, plus shipping... My van has just under 90k on the clock, only major repair needed was an engine rebuild because a local "VW"repair shop filled in the wrong type of coolant. $1500 repairs by a cash-only 'specialist'... Cheers, LMH a.k.a. carioca

where do i check the auto oil in my 1988 auto transporter

Have just bought a T4 2.5L Diesel with 195km. Have just noticed the diesel sensor dash light flashing nonstop. Any ideas? Cheers, Derek

Hi all, I have hear that the 2.5ltr petrol engines are bullet proof. is this the case? I am looking at 177k caravelle for $2k full service history from new one owner never been in a crash, no rust with a slight crunch in first gear if you rush it. Paint is a little down, needs CV's done and a windscreen. Are they prone to leaking oil anywhere? Aircon seems like it will only just cool front passengers but otherwise a very clean unit. Just looking for some feedback as it is 25 years old.
Hi, pitty I didn't see your question a few days ago because you've probably already decided by now. In case you're still looking for advice though, speaking from my own experience with my van it does seem as though these engines are very reliable. Mine has done around 300.000 now and still going strong no matter how hard I push it. It still has the original box too which I was pretty impressed by considering how much work it has done in its life. The only leak I've had in mine is from the sump plug and the filter so if you keep up the servicing you should be ok. I've heard mixed reports about the reliability of these engines from different people so from what I gather they're great as long as you keep the oil up to them. Hopefully the one that you're looking at it has been.

My manual 2002 T4 petrol 2 litre needs a gear box oil change.The underneath of mine appears different to the 2.5 litre box, as mine has a drain plug at the bottom of the diff crownwheel housing, and a filler plug at the front of the gearbox casting. Can anyone add any info to the differences and why they are that way?

Where is the best place to buy parts for a t4 2.5 van struggling to find wreckers in Melbourne?

I need a gearbox for my 1998 t4 transporter can l use a gear from. A1994 t4 transporter?

Hi there I have a 97 T4 transporter and I'm wondering if anyone knows if there's an anchor point to put a forward facing child's car seat in the front passengers side? The back seat's been taken out for a bed so obviously that's not an option. Thanks-Jo
There are no car seat anchor points in the front row. You would need to have one fitted by a child seat anchor point fitting place.

can I get a roo bar to fit my 99 dual cab transporter?

Hi dose anyone no where the computer is situated on th T4 1996 Volkswagen transporter 2.5ltr petrol 5cylinder and what model code reader will adapt to the plug if somone could email me plse [email removed] as the van is starting then cutting out 3 seconds everytime thanks.
hi i am having the same problem can you give me any information on what you have done please

Who sells water hoses for 1996 VW Transporter? VW has deleted them in Australia

Do 98 model's have back seats?
My 98 caravelle has back seats.

I have a T4 camper 2,5 TDI manual and i need to switch to automatic transmission , pls help with all needed parts to buy used in good condition
Stick with the manual T4 automatic transmissions are well known to have issues. Good automatic transmissions are very rare and you can pay around $3500 for a good one. That doesn't include all the other stuff you will need or fitting. There are a lot of forums on changing T4s to manual transmissions for that reason.

I have just recently purchased a 96 VW Transporter auto camper on the clock) it had air con probs (fixed by a fuse) new car battery, it’s now in at the auto electricians as the red engine light came on I could smell the heat coming off the engine, pulled over immediately. Loads of water in the container, RACQ said possible fan probs... had van towed to my auto electrician. Waiting for a verdict.... question.... should i now get my transmission oil checkedor changed....as I e read autos can have a problem. As I’m wanting to have trips (not around Oz) I want to trust this campervan ..... any suggestions greatly appreciated.
check water pump. plastic impeller so times snaps in half ,You are correct... that was the problem... thanks for your input

See all Volkswagen Transporter questions

Get an answer from our members and Volkswagen representatives