Volkswagen Transporter T4

68 questions from our users

michael r.

michael r.asked

Hi all,

I have a 1999 T4 short nose 2L petrol with 317K on it and i think the big end bearing is starting to go. So two questions.,

First - how easy is this to replace the big end on the 2L, yes i have more than a little bit of mechanical knowledge, so capable, but don't want to start the unfinishable if its better to just install a new motor.

Second question, if a new motor is easier, can i fit a 2.5L petrol into the short nose, or does this motor only fit in long nose versions.

Appreciate your thoughts and time in responding :)

Paul F.asked

Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

My poor old 2001 T4 automatic is having more gearbox problems.After a reset because it was stuck in 2nd gear it now has no reverse & seems to have 3rd gear available .Reverse on the console is now neutral....

Debra W.

Debra W.asked

Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

Hi, Just wanted some expert advice on a 2002 VW transporter? As wanting to buy a second hand ambulance. Any issues with this model please.
Cheers Debra

Young B.

Young B.asked

I’ve got a 1996 t4 Ute 2.4 litre 5 cylinder diesel,
For the life of me I can’t seem to bleed the air out of the bloody injectors,
I’m on my third new battery and I’ve killed the starter motor,
And just replaced it,
I really don’t want to kill another at almost $500 a go
Cheers Frank

Sharieff B.

Sharieff B.asked

Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

Vw tdi t4 vehicle starts no problem but dousnt want to idle nor wants to rev. any ideas?

Danielle W.

Danielle W.asked

Service parts required for 1999 model

Priscilla A.

Priscilla A.asked

Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

What can I do? The drive movement is sluggish but the reverse movement is better

Karl V.

Karl V.asked

Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

My 97 transporter drives 30kls then oil light flashers then Stopes .starts again in 20mins does same again any idea

Katie M.
Katie M.

Catalytic converter.

Karl V.

Karl V.asked

Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

I have 97wolwagon transporter I drive it for 30ks oil light flashers then it stops.starts again in 20min does the same again any ideas what it is

Vic S.

Vic S.asked

Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

Has anybody had any trouble with t4 automatic gearbox?

Seen transporter t4 77 model advertized ,auto gearbox blown

Paul F.

They are terrible gearboxes.V.W should be ashamed of themselves!! I've had lots of trouble with mine.

Gary L.

Gary L.asked

Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

I have a 97 diesel 2.4ltr can i replace the engine with a 2.5ltr TD engine of around the same year.

An.S.

An.S.asked

Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

Hello there, I bought a 1995 VW T4 single cab syncro.
It has no engine, gearbox, transfer case.
I wonder what diesel engine it had fitted as I can't find any info.
Anyone who has a gearbox/transfer case please let me know.
Many thanks, Andree

Rick

Rickasked

Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

I just had a fire in my transporter 94 petrol, I've replaced wiring but my oil light keeps beeping and my temperature gage isn't working,can anyone give me some trouble shooting advice.thanks

Wiremu w.

Wiremu w.asked

Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

I’m about to buy a 1997 Volkswagen transporter with 335000 km on it, is this a big risk on it breaking down and getting problems, the owner says it hasn’t missed a service and just got a new belt last month.
He wants $6000 but I thought that was far to priced and was thinking $4600,
Would anyone be able to let me know much about the van please.
Parts etc if it’s due to brake down with the km.

Cheers

I bought a t4 transporter 2000 model for $1200 ,

Kimbo

Kimboasked

Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

Just recently got a 99 t4. Petrol 5cyl , manual , After turning off the car is it common for the fan to stay on for little while after the key has been turned off.

yesitsme
yesitsme

Pretty normal for any car. Once engine has cooled sufficiently, it will turn off

Nick L.asked

Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

My t4 transporter 2.5 petrol runs rough and splatters especially when it rains. When it does start, It misses and stalls if I don"t keep the revs up, until whatever is happening warms up or dry up. I put a new No 30 relay but made no difference. What I have noticed is that it only does this when its raining. In fine weather it starts first turn 99% of the time, but when its raining, or there is moisture in the air, its the reverse, it struggles to start and runs really rough. i have to ride the clutch to get going with splattering, coughing, and farting along the way. After about 15 mins of driving it slowly, clears up and then it runs fine. I have taken the van to my mechanic, but it starts for him first time and the problem has long gone by then for him to diagnose. He also looked at fault codes but nothing. Anyone else had a similar problem with their VW? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nick L.

I also notice its starts to misfire under load during fine weather, what are the main parts I need to change to know I have done everything I could to get it running right. any help would be appreciated.

Kees
Kees

Hi Nick,
over the past year, my 2001 automatic T4 stalled whilst driving every time it went through a deluge of rain. As yours too seems an electrical issue you might want to verify any exposed cracks or wires etc. We decided to replace the coil just last week. X fingers, will keep you informed. Kees

Windsong Cabins G.

Windsong Cabins G.asked

how to check auto oil in 1998 vw transporter t4 2500 petrol motor

Niki

Nikiasked

Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

Hi can i fit 3 seats into the front of a 1994 VW Transporter manual transmission currently fitted with 2 seats? cheers Niki

Alex X.
Alex X.

Did you find out, i would love to know how you went!

Riz

Rizasked

Hi
I want to know
Is 1995 t4 2.5 patrol auto transmission will fits in 2003 t4 2.5tdi?
In other words can I put 1995 patrol auto gearbox to 2003 diesel t4?

Cruisediva

Cruisedivaasked

Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

We have Volkswagen Trans auto Campervan ,would like to know if it would be safe to tow a Avan Jack Caravan 17ft tare 1630 kg, ATM 2030 kg

See all Volkswagen Transporter questions