Volkswagen Transporter

Volkswagen Transporter Questions & Answers (page 2 of 7)

T5.I, T5.II, T4, T6

127 questions from our users

Kimbo

Kimboasked

Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

Just recently got a 99 t4. Petrol 5cyl , manual , After turning off the car is it common for the fan to stay on for little while after the key has been turned off.

yesitsme
yesitsme

Pretty normal for any car. Once engine has cooled sufficiently, it will turn off

Baz

Bazasked

Transporter

1996 T4, Installed OEM (possibly Chinese)left hand side driveshaft but the axle is still about 5mm away from the end of the wheel hub splines after torquing to 100 Nm. The inner CV went out of mesh on a sharp incline left hand turn with power applied. I am concerned that the shaft length is the issue and the axle to hub at the spline could be the problem?
THE original German made inner CV seems to have more range?

Nick L.asked

Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

My t4 transporter 2.5 petrol runs rough and splatters especially when it rains. When it does start, It misses and stalls if I don"t keep the revs up, until whatever is happening warms up or dry up. I put a new No 30 relay but made no difference. What I have noticed is that it only does this when its raining. In fine weather it starts first turn 99% of the time, but when its raining, or there is moisture in the air, its the reverse, it struggles to start and runs really rough. i have to ride the clutch to get going with splattering, coughing, and farting along the way. After about 15 mins of driving it slowly, clears up and then it runs fine. I have taken the van to my mechanic, but it starts for him first time and the problem has long gone by then for him to diagnose. He also looked at fault codes but nothing. Anyone else had a similar problem with their VW? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nick L.

I also notice its starts to misfire under load during fine weather, what are the main parts I need to change to know I have done everything I could to get it running right. any help would be appreciated.

Kees
Kees

Hi Nick,
over the past year, my 2001 automatic T4 stalled whilst driving every time it went through a deluge of rain. As yours too seems an electrical issue you might want to verify any exposed cracks or wires etc. We decided to replace the coil just last week. X fingers, will keep you informed. Kees

Zac A.

Zac A.asked

My 2005 transporter is slipping in gear

Joy C.

Joy C.asked

Transporter

No spark changed ECU distributor plugs leads 1994 vw transporter t4 any help would be appreciated mark

Windsong Cabins G.

Windsong Cabins G.asked

how to check auto oil in 1998 vw transporter t4 2500 petrol motor

Niki

Nikiasked

Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

Hi can i fit 3 seats into the front of a 1994 VW Transporter manual transmission currently fitted with 2 seats? cheers Niki

Alex X.
Alex X.

Did you find out, i would love to know how you went!

Sophie M.

Sophie M.asked

Transporter T5.I (2004-2010)

Have a 2006 TDI transporter 390k in the clock, and the fuel injectors have just gone. The turbo has recently been replaced, with other things (over 11k). What am I looking at for the fuel injectors? Somewhere of a cost?

Riz

Rizasked

Hi
I want to know
Is 1995 t4 2.5 patrol auto transmission will fits in 2003 t4 2.5tdi?
In other words can I put 1995 patrol auto gearbox to 2003 diesel t4?

Cruisediva

Cruisedivaasked

Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

We have Volkswagen Trans auto Campervan ,would like to know if it would be safe to tow a Avan Jack Caravan 17ft tare 1630 kg, ATM 2030 kg

Kane I.

Kane I.asked

Transporter T5.I (2004-2010)

Can you take seats out of 2008 Volkswagen transporter T5 and what 6 speed transmission auto is in one and where can I purchase a new or used auto for one

jay

jayasked

where can I buy a timing cover as I cant find 1 for a t4 petrol

craigs902
craigs902

Wreckers, t4 forums, t4 Facebook pages.

Brett H

Brett Hasked

Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

Hi. I've just purchased a 98 transporter 2.0 for 800 cash. It's registered and running well although it's having trouble getting into second gear. The sale included a separate gearbox if I want to fit it later on. Has anyone else had this issue. Any other upkeep tips would be greatly appreciated. She has about 390ks on her, high I know.

carioca

cariocaasked

Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

where do you get suitable spare shock absorbers and coils (both for rear), VW in Sydney will not even deign to reply?

An English outfit responded offering original parts - but for a 2000 T4. Are they identical? And I haven't even dared check the prices, plus shipping...

My van has just under 90k on the clock, only major repair needed was an engine rebuild because a local "VW"repair shop filled in the wrong type of coolant. $1500 repairs by a cash-only 'specialist'...

Cheers,
LMH a.k.a. carioca

Windsong Cabins G.

Windsong Cabins G.asked

where do i check the auto oil in my 1988 auto transporter

Derek

Derekasked

Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

Have just bought a T4 2.5L Diesel with 195km. Have just noticed the diesel sensor dash light flashing nonstop. Any ideas? Cheers, Derek

Tassman

Tassmanasked

Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

Hi all, I have hear that the 2.5ltr petrol engines are bullet proof. is this the case? I am looking at 177k caravelle for $2k full service history from new one owner never been in a crash, no rust with a slight crunch in first gear if you rush it. Paint is a little down, needs CV's done and a windscreen. Are they prone to leaking oil anywhere? Aircon seems like it will only just cool front passengers but otherwise a very clean unit. Just looking for some feedback as it is 25 years old.

Wanderer
Wanderer

Hi, pitty I didn't see your question a few days ago because you've probably already decided by now. In case you're still looking for advice though, speaking from my own experience with my van it does seem as though these engines are very reliable. Mine has done around 300.000 now and still going strong no matter how hard I push it. It still has the original box too which I was pretty impressed by considering how much work it has done in its life. The only leak I've had in mine is from the sump plug and the filter so if you keep up the servicing you should be ok. I've heard mixed reports about the reliability of these engines from different people so from what I gather they're great as long as you keep the oil up to them. Hopefully the one that you're looking at it has been.

Luke M

Luke Masked

Transporter T5.I (2004-2010)

I have a 2008 Transporter and was wondering if it has a duel mass flywheel or just a single flywheel? Can anyone help with this?

Priit A.
Priit A.

it has Dual Mass, assuming its diesel

Sharif J

Sharif Jasked

Transporter

Can I Upgrade My ( 1994 VW Transporter - Diesel Motor - 1900 CC Turbo - Short Nose - Manual Transmission )
To One Of The New Diesel Motor- Like For Example ( 2.0 R4 16v TDI CR 81 - 176kW - Automatic Transmission )?

Rant

Rantasked

Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

My manual 2002 T4 petrol 2 litre needs a gear box oil change.The underneath of mine appears different to the 2.5 litre box, as mine has a drain plug at the bottom of the diff crownwheel housing, and a filler plug at the front of the gearbox casting. Can anyone add any info to the differences and why they are that way?

Other Utes