Volkswagen Transporter

Volkswagen Transporter Questions & Answers (page 2 of 7)

T5.I, T5.II, T4, T6
Listing monitored by Volkswagen

140 questions from our users

Sharieff B.
Sharieff B.asked
Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

Vw tdi t4 vehicle starts no problem but dousnt want to idle nor wants to rev. any ideas?

Danielle W.
Danielle W.asked

Service parts required for 1999 model

Priscilla A.
Priscilla A.asked
Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

What can I do? The drive movement is sluggish but the reverse movement is better

Karl V.
Karl V.asked
Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

My 97 transporter drives 30kls then oil light flashers then Stopes .starts again in 20mins does same again any idea

Katie M.
Katie M.

Catalytic converter.

Karl V.
Karl V.asked
Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

I have 97wolwagon transporter I drive it for 30ks oil light flashers then it stops.starts again in 20min does the same again any ideas what it is

Shane R.asked
Transporter

My 2000 t4 transporter starts an then stops I'm replacing ignition switch and a relay box 30 ,any idea's

Vic S.
Vic S.asked
Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

Has anybody had any trouble with t4 automatic gearbox?

Seen transporter t4 77 model advertized ,auto gearbox blown

Paul F.
Paul F.

They are terrible gearboxes.V.W should be ashamed of themselves!! I've had lots of trouble with mine.

Hdavina
Hdavina

Me too. My gearbox has been reconditioned and I still have intermittent problems changing down at inappropriate times and not wanting to change back up again in reasonable time. This is mainly on the open road. It’s unnervingly.

Gary L.
Gary L.asked
Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

I have a 97 diesel 2.4ltr can i replace the engine with a 2.5ltr TD engine of around the same year.

nabil elouahabi
nabil elouahabiasked
Transporter

I’m new to the van and wondered are there any tips of keeping fuel consumption economical?

An.S.
An.S.asked
Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

Hello there, I bought a 1995 VW T4 single cab syncro.
It has no engine, gearbox, transfer case.
I wonder what diesel engine it had fitted as I can't find any info.
Anyone who has a gearbox/transfer case please let me know.
Many thanks, Andree

Rick
Rickasked
Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

I just had a fire in my transporter 94 petrol, I've replaced wiring but my oil light keeps beeping and my temperature gage isn't working,can anyone give me some trouble shooting advice.thanks

Brodz
Brodzasked
Transporter T5.I (2004-2010)

Looking to buy a 2002 twin cab vw 5cyl just wondering how far on a tank of fuel an pulling with 3 motor cross bikes on
An is there any bad thing to look for

yesitsme

I have a 2006 permanently dragging around 1400kg. @80,000kms on, it still gets 750-800km per tankful

Wiremu w.
Wiremu w.asked
Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

I’m about to buy a 1997 Volkswagen transporter with 335000 km on it, is this a big risk on it breaking down and getting problems, the owner says it hasn’t missed a service and just got a new belt last month.
He wants $6000 but I thought that was far to priced and was thinking $4600,
Would anyone be able to let me know much about the van please.
Parts etc if it’s due to brake down with the km.

Cheers

I bought a t4 transporter 2000 model for $1200 ,

Kimbo
Kimboasked
Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

Just recently got a 99 t4. Petrol 5cyl , manual , After turning off the car is it common for the fan to stay on for little while after the key has been turned off.

yesitsme

Pretty normal for any car. Once engine has cooled sufficiently, it will turn off

Baz
Bazasked
Transporter

1996 T4, Installed OEM (possibly Chinese)left hand side driveshaft but the axle is still about 5mm away from the end of the wheel hub splines after torquing to 100 Nm. The inner CV went out of mesh on a sharp incline left hand turn with power applied. I am concerned that the shaft length is the issue and the axle to hub at the spline could be the problem?
THE original German made inner CV seems to have more range?

Nick L.asked
Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

My t4 transporter 2.5 petrol runs rough and splatters especially when it rains. When it does start, It misses and stalls if I don"t keep the revs up, until whatever is happening warms up or dry up. I put a new No 30 relay but made no difference. What I have noticed is that it only does this when its raining. In fine weather it starts first turn 99% of the time, but when its raining, or there is moisture in the air, its the reverse, it struggles to start and runs really rough. i have to ride the clutch to get going with splattering, coughing, and farting along the way. After about 15 mins of driving it slowly, clears up and then it runs fine. I have taken the van to my mechanic, but it starts for him first time and the problem has long gone by then for him to diagnose. He also looked at fault codes but nothing. Anyone else had a similar problem with their VW? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nick L.

I also notice its starts to misfire under load during fine weather, what are the main parts I need to change to know I have done everything I could to get it running right. any help would be appreciated.

Kees
Kees

Hi Nick,
over the past year, my 2001 automatic T4 stalled whilst driving every time it went through a deluge of rain. As yours too seems an electrical issue you might want to verify any exposed cracks or wires etc. We decided to replace the coil just last week. X fingers, will keep you informed. Kees

Pedro
Pedro

Hello everyone, I’m having the same issue. When it rains the car stops and it’s having problems to start again. I tried sealing the windscreen, check the distribution, spark plugs. Also now, revs, Speedo, fuel indicator are not working properly.
I was about to cross to QLD and I got stranded in Glen Innes, the mechanic is trying to find the solution but any information you have on how you solve your problem would be much appreciated. I’m supposed to fly back to my country this month.
Thanks in advance

Zac A.
Zac A.asked
Transporter T5.I (2004-2010)

My 2005 transporter is slipping in gear

Joy C.
Joy C.asked
Transporter

No spark changed ECU distributor plugs leads 1994 vw transporter t4 any help would be appreciated mark

Windsong Cabins G.
Windsong Cabins G.asked

how to check auto oil in 1998 vw transporter t4 2500 petrol motor

Niki
Nikiasked
Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

Hi can i fit 3 seats into the front of a 1994 VW Transporter manual transmission currently fitted with 2 seats? cheers Niki

Alex X.
Alex X.

Did you find out, i would love to know how you went!

Get an answer from our members and Volkswagen representatives

Volkswagen Transporter