11Volkswagen Transporter

Volkswagen Transporter Questions & Answers (page 3)

Gary L.
Gary L. · Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

I have a 97 diesel 2.4ltr can i replace the engine with a 2.5ltr TD engine of around the same year.

nabil elouahabi
nabil elouahabi · Transporter

I’m new to the van and wondered are there any tips of keeping fuel consumption economical?

An.S.
An.S. · Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

Hello there, I bought a 1995 VW T4 single cab syncro.
It has no engine, gearbox, transfer case.
I wonder what diesel engine it had fitted as I can't find any info.
Anyone who has a gearbox/transfer case please let me know.
Many thanks, Andree

Rick
Rick · Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

I just had a fire in my transporter 94 petrol, I've replaced wiring but my oil light keeps beeping and my temperature gage isn't working,can anyone give me some trouble shooting advice.thanks

Brodz
Brodz · Transporter T5.I (2004-2010)

Looking to buy a 2002 twin cab vw 5cyl just wondering how far on a tank of fuel an pulling with 3 motor cross bikes on
An is there any bad thing to look for

yesitsme

I have a 2006 permanently dragging around 1400kg. @80,000kms on, it still gets 750-800km per tankful

Wiremu w.
Wiremu w. · Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

I’m about to buy a 1997 Volkswagen transporter with 335000 km on it, is this a big risk on it breaking down and getting problems, the owner says it hasn’t missed a service and just got a new belt last month.
He wants $6000 but I thought that was far to priced and was thinking $4600,
Would anyone be able to let me know much about the van please.
Parts etc if it’s due to brake down with the km.

Cheers

Shane R.
Shane R.

I bought a t4 transporter 2000 model for $1200 ,

Kimbo
Kimbo · Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

Just recently got a 99 t4. Petrol 5cyl , manual , After turning off the car is it common for the fan to stay on for little while after the key has been turned off.

yesitsme

Pretty normal for any car. Once engine has cooled sufficiently, it will turn off

Baz
Baz · Transporter

1996 T4, Installed OEM (possibly Chinese)left hand side driveshaft but the axle is still about 5mm away from the end of the wheel hub splines after torquing to 100 Nm. The inner CV went out of mesh on a sharp incline left hand turn with power applied. I am concerned that the shaft length is the issue and the axle to hub at the spline could be the problem?
THE original German made inner CV seems to have more range?

Nick L.
Nick L. · Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

My t4 transporter 2.5 petrol runs rough and splatters especially when it rains. When it does start, It misses and stalls if I don"t keep the revs up, until whatever is happening warms up or dry up. I put a new No 30 relay but made no difference. What I have noticed is that it only does this when its raining. In fine weather it starts first turn 99% of the time, but when its raining, or there is moisture in the air, its the reverse, it struggles to start and runs really rough. i have to ride the clutch to get going with splattering, coughing, and farting along the way. After about 15 mins of driving it slowly, clears up and then it runs fine. I have taken the van to my mechanic, but it starts for him first time and the problem has long gone by then for him to diagnose. He also looked at fault codes but nothing. Anyone else had a similar problem with their VW? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nick L.

I also notice its starts to misfire under load during fine weather, what are the main parts I need to change to know I have done everything I could to get it running right. any help would be appreciated.

Kees
Kees

Hi Nick,
over the past year, my 2001 automatic T4 stalled whilst driving every time it went through a deluge of rain. As yours too seems an electrical issue you might want to verify any exposed cracks or wires etc. We decided to replace the coil just last week. X fingers, will keep you informed. Kees

Pedro
Pedro

Hello everyone, I’m having the same issue. When it rains the car stops and it’s having problems to start again. I tried sealing the windscreen, check the distribution, spark plugs. Also now, revs, Speedo, fuel indicator are not working properly.
I was about to cross to QLD and I got stranded in Glen Innes, the mechanic is trying to find the solution but any information you have on how you solve your problem would be much appreciated. I’m supposed to fly back to my country this month.
Thanks in advance

Zac A.
Zac A. · Transporter T5.I (2004-2010)

My 2005 transporter is slipping in gear

Joy C.
Joy C. · Transporter

No spark changed ECU distributor plugs leads 1994 vw transporter t4 any help would be appreciated mark

Windsong Cabins G.
Windsong Cabins G. · Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

how to check auto oil in 1998 vw transporter t4 2500 petrol motor

Niki
Niki · Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

Hi can i fit 3 seats into the front of a 1994 VW Transporter manual transmission currently fitted with 2 seats? cheers Niki

Alex X.
Alex X.

Did you find out, i would love to know how you went!

Sophie M.
Sophie M. · Transporter T5.I (2004-2010)

Have a 2006 TDI transporter 390k in the clock, and the fuel injectors have just gone. The turbo has recently been replaced, with other things (over 11k). What am I looking at for the fuel injectors? Somewhere of a cost?

Riz
Riz · Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

Hi
I want to know
Is 1995 t4 2.5 patrol auto transmission will fits in 2003 t4 2.5tdi?
In other words can I put 1995 patrol auto gearbox to 2003 diesel t4?

Cruisediva
Cruisediva · Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

We have Volkswagen Trans auto Campervan ,would like to know if it would be safe to tow a Avan Jack Caravan 17ft tare 1630 kg, ATM 2030 kg

Kane I.
Kane I. · Transporter T5.I (2004-2010)

Can you take seats out of 2008 Volkswagen transporter T5 and what 6 speed transmission auto is in one and where can I purchase a new or used auto for one

jay
jay · Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

where can I buy a timing cover as I cant find 1 for a t4 petrol

craigs902
craigs902

Wreckers, t4 forums, t4 Facebook pages.

Brett H
Brett H · Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

Hi. I've just purchased a 98 transporter 2.0 for 800 cash. It's registered and running well although it's having trouble getting into second gear. The sale included a separate gearbox if I want to fit it later on. Has anyone else had this issue. Any other upkeep tips would be greatly appreciated. She has about 390ks on her, high I know.

carioca
carioca · Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

where do you get suitable spare shock absorbers and coils (both for rear), VW in Sydney will not even deign to reply?

An English outfit responded offering original parts - but for a 2000 T4. Are they identical? And I haven't even dared check the prices, plus shipping...

My van has just under 90k on the clock, only major repair needed was an engine rebuild because a local "VW"repair shop filled in the wrong type of coolant. $1500 repairs by a cash-only 'specialist'...

Cheers,
LMH a.k.a. carioca

Get an answer from our members and Volkswagen representatives

Select a listing for your question
Volkswagen Transporter