Volkswagen Transporter

Volkswagen Transporter Questions & Answers (page 4 of 7)

T5.I, T5.II, T4, T6
Listing monitored by Volkswagen

140 questions from our users

Yantra
Yantraasked
Transporter

Hey do 1998 transporter parts fit a 2004 transporter?

Christopher C
Christopher Casked
Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

can I get a roo bar to fit my 99 dual cab transporter?

Rob
Robasked
Transporter

How often should a 1994 Transporter 2.5 petrol be serviced?

sinar63
sinar63

Hi Rob, for me 15000km is the interval, I do everything myself and have nearly done 500000km. It is all straight forward simple engineering made for the professional. Change the oil every 15000km (I do check also every time I fuel up routine as VW uses oil) check breaks and electrical system and you will have great and inexpensive motoring

A M G

I believe sinar63 is right the book says 15,000 but this is with fully synthetic oil. If you are using standard oil like GTX or shell helix 15w40 I would recommend changing more frequently minimum of 10,000 kilometres 7,500 would be better. I did over 200,000 kilometres in my 03 T4 kombi without any issues whatsoever. I used valvoline XLD 15w40 at 10,000klm intervals.
You can get filters on eBay Sakura brand for $22.00 ish. Pretty good filters. (I wouldn't buy anything cheaper they probably have nothing inside). Beats the $40 plus at auto parts store. Make sure it's the right one they have a big nut on the bottom you usually need to tighten with a socket 27mm so they don't leak there is a cheaper alternative that doesn't have the nut but they can't be tightened easily and usually leak from the gasket.

les
lesasked
Transporter T5.I (2004-2010)

Have a 2008 Transporter Blowing water out of top tank would it be a blown head gasket has no water in oil.

Tristan Edwards
Tristan Edwardsasked
Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

Hi dose anyone no where the computer is situated on th T4 1996 Volkswagen transporter 2.5ltr petrol 5cylinder and what model code reader will adapt to the plug if somone could email me plse [email removed] as the van is starting then cutting out 3 seconds everytime thanks.

Brett W.
Brett W.

hi i am having the same problem can you give me any information on what you have done please

Momo
Momoasked
Transporter T5.II (2010-2015)

My vw transporter is losing oil and lost a lot of power. What could be the cause?

Big M.
Big M.

If oil not visibly leaking anywhere mine was getting blown out of one of the turbos ( tdi 400 bi turbo)
the main larger one

Dave
Daveasked

Who sells water hoses for 1996 VW Transporter? VW has deleted them in Australia

Angela
Angelaasked
Transporter T5.I (2004-2010)

Where is the Child seat anchor for rear facing child seats?

Paul R
Paul Rasked
Transporter

Any problems with water flooding of front of campervan 2013 VW frontline vans?

Adam G
Adam Gasked
Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

Do 98 model's have back seats?

A M G

My 98 caravelle has back seats.

Michael Marcuse
Michael Marcuseasked
Transporter T5.II (2010-2015)

I brought a new t5 2015 4 motion 2 liter twin turbo duel cab. Lacks power but for a 2 liter what do u aspect. But some days it stores on U when u drop into 2 gear still moving 10 k'a plus to take off again. It's a very annoying. Is it a fault and what else can go wrong when I taken it for its service they can't fine any problems but it only happens sometimes & sometimes it's more?
Mike

Tarek salah
Tarek salahasked
Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

I have a T4 camper 2,5 TDI manual and i need to switch to automatic transmission , pls help with all needed parts to buy used in good condition

A M G

Stick with the manual T4 automatic transmissions are well known to have issues. Good automatic transmissions are very rare and you can pay around $3500 for a good one. That doesn't include all the other stuff you will need or fitting. There are a lot of forums on changing T4s to manual transmissions for that reason.

Paul F.

T.4 Auto gearboxes are rubbish...Vw should be ashamed!

Deborah Masked
Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

I have just recently purchased a 96 VW Transporter auto camper on the clock) it had air con probs (fixed by a fuse) new car battery, it’s now in at the auto electricians as the red engine light came on I could smell the heat coming off the engine, pulled over immediately. Loads of water in the container, RACQ said possible fan probs... had van towed to my auto electrician. Waiting for a verdict.... question.... should i now get my transmission oil checkedor changed....as I e read autos can have a problem. As I’m wanting to have trips (not around Oz) I want to trust this campervan ..... any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Trev
Trev

check water pump. plastic impeller so times snaps in half ,

Deborah M

You are correct... that was the problem... thanks for your input

Correct..

hoss
hossasked
Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

I have a t4[2000] problem;when I switch sidelights on wipers stop working?Anyone any ideas please?

Tonyasked
Transporter T5.I (2004-2010)

what does TDI stand for on VW T5 Transporter?

Michael

Turbo Diesel Intercooled

CGJ
CGJasked
Transporter T6 (2015-2021)

I'm thinking of a new VW Transporter T6 - is it worth extra $5,000 for twin turbo?

Clav

In my opinion the twin turbo is definitely the way to go - you wont be disappointed

Mohammad Gash
Mohammad Gashasked
Transporter

I have a volkswagen transporter 1982 model and I want to change it motor. What is the right motor?

Clav

Sorry wouldn't have a clue you need a VW specialist

Robert V
Robert V

is it a t3 or t4.?? If t3 aircooled stick with it. If t4 model get another T4 . they have a good motor

Justine C
Justine Casked
Transporter T5.I (2004-2010)

hi there, I'm currently looking at a 2004 duel cab turbo diesel it has 245k on the clock and I'm just wondering what I'll bee hit up for over the next servicing, gearbox longevity, doing some extra research in case I end up buying a lemon.
oh I miss my old 76vwduelcab
justine

Tonyasked
Transporter T6 (2015-2021)

I have a 2017 T6 102 Diesel LWB camper van auto 7 speed DSG, what if anything should I fit to elevate any DSG future problems & at what kilometres should I have this vehicle serviced, not yet had first service due to low kilometres (2k)

Clav

Hopefully VW have sorted the DSG glitch that earlier ones had by now. You can do no better than sticking to the VW service schedule in the handbook. My only suggestion is if you have a diesel to replace the fuel filter more often than they say because of the crap fuel in Oz.

Tony

Thank you, I shall do as suggested with the fuel filter, also wondered if synthetic or semi synthetic is prudent with any vehicle with a turbo fitted.
Thanks Clav

Turbo
Turboasked
Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

1996 t4 petrol transporter has a engine misfire under load . New plugs. Please can you advise on other faults other than plugs leads and points

Clav

sorry cant help you as I have a diesel There have been no body or electrical issues, but as mine is a much later model, even these areas would not have much commonality with yours.

A M G

My 1997 T4 used to regularly get water in the distributor. No idea where it came from there is no water lines near it. But every now and then I would have to pull the cap off and the rotor and the little cover underneath the rotor and dry it out with a paper towel or clean rag. It would run perfectly after.
I also had a 2003 T4 kombi that had a crack in the coil. After going through the car wash or on very rainy days it would just stop. After about 5 minutes it would start and go again no problem. One very foggy night it started missing so I popped the bonnet and I could see the spark jumping across the crack in the plastic I removed the coil scratched out the crack and filled it with araldite. No more problems.

Get an answer from our members and Volkswagen representatives

Volkswagen Transporter