Volkswagen Transporter

Volkswagen Transporter Questions & Answers (page 4 of 7)

T5.I, T5.II, T4, T6

127 questions from our users

hoss

hossasked

Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

I have a t4[2000] problem;when I switch sidelights on wipers stop working?Anyone any ideas please?

Tonyasked

Transporter T5.I (2004-2010)

what does TDI stand for on VW T5 Transporter?

Turbo Diesel Injected

CGJ

CGJasked

Transporter T6 (2015-2020)

I'm thinking of a new VW Transporter T6 - is it worth extra $5,000 for twin turbo?

Clav

In my opinion the twin turbo is definitely the way to go - you wont be disappointed

Mohammad Gash

Mohammad Gashasked

Transporter

I have a volkswagen transporter 1982 model and I want to change it motor. What is the right motor?

Clav

Sorry wouldn't have a clue you need a VW specialist

Robert V
Robert V

is it a t3 or t4.?? If t3 aircooled stick with it. If t4 model get another T4 . they have a good motor

Justine C

Justine Casked

Transporter T5.I (2004-2010)

hi there, I'm currently looking at a 2004 duel cab turbo diesel it has 245k on the clock and I'm just wondering what I'll bee hit up for over the next servicing, gearbox longevity, doing some extra research in case I end up buying a lemon.
oh I miss my old 76vwduelcab
justine

Tonyasked

Transporter T6 (2015-2020)

I have a 2017 T6 102 Diesel LWB camper van auto 7 speed DSG, what if anything should I fit to elevate any DSG future problems & at what kilometres should I have this vehicle serviced, not yet had first service due to low kilometres (2k)

Clav

Hopefully VW have sorted the DSG glitch that earlier ones had by now. You can do no better than sticking to the VW service schedule in the handbook. My only suggestion is if you have a diesel to replace the fuel filter more often than they say because of the crap fuel in Oz.

Tony

Thank you, I shall do as suggested with the fuel filter, also wondered if synthetic or semi synthetic is prudent with any vehicle with a turbo fitted.
Thanks Clav

Turbo

Turboasked

Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

1996 t4 petrol transporter has a engine misfire under load . New plugs. Please can you advise on other faults other than plugs leads and points

Clav

sorry cant help you as I have a diesel There have been no body or electrical issues, but as mine is a much later model, even these areas would not have much commonality with yours.

A M G

My 1997 T4 used to regularly get water in the distributor. No idea where it came from there is no water lines near it. But every now and then I would have to pull the cap off and the rotor and the little cover underneath the rotor and dry it out with a paper towel or clean rag. It would run perfectly after.
I also had a 2003 T4 kombi that had a crack in the coil. After going through the car wash or on very rainy days it would just stop. After about 5 minutes it would start and go again no problem. One very foggy night it started missing so I popped the bonnet and I could see the spark jumping across the crack in the plastic I removed the coil scratched out the crack and filled it with araldite. No more problems.

Simon L

Simon Lasked

Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

have an 03 t4 TDI and the transmission is losing power and not kicking back into lower gears what could be the problem?

Paul M
Paul M

Hi my T4 carravelle is a great vehicle and we love it, i had the gearbox overhauled in Melbourne by A+B , and they recommended a bigger gearbox cooling system and upgraded torque converter $6.500 AUD.
It was missing changes , not engaging when you put your foot down ( almost got side rammed by a semi when crossing a busy road at it went into neutral ) , VW paid for some minor parts .
Watch the auto heat sensor on gearbox , if its faulty which our s pointed to it plays up and does much of the above

A M G

This is a common problem with T4 automatic transmissions it is caused by the valve body. If the bolts are over tightened only a little they can warp the valve body case causing the valves to jamb causing slow gear changing. It is common for specialists to do a complete rebuild because it means more money for them. The problem is the torque on the bolts holding the valve body is very small 45 inch pounds you also have to use an expensive torque wrench because cheaper ones aren't accurate enough if you have any mechanical ability I would suggest loosening all the bolts and re-torque them maybe to 40 inch pounds. But you would need a good torque wrench.

Bilasked

Hi There,
I'm driving a T4 97 (415000 km on Bord) I'm experiencing a problem and I need help.
The engine is stopping randomly in traffic and then starts again no problem.
I did change a lot of parts and sensors, no result.

Steve

I don't know you'll have to take it to your mechanic

Michael

You'll probably need a mechanic but perhaps your idle is too low causing it to stop on you...
Could try keeping your foot on the accelararor while idling and see if that helps...

Bil

The mechanic did some changes on the electrical part, new coil sparkplugs/leeds etc ,and the problem is still reacquiring.

Candice

Candiceasked

Transporter T5.I (2004-2010)

are there anchor points for a childs car seat?

Steve

No designated anchor point that I'm aware of.
I have a bench seat in the rear of my car so I used the seatbelt anchor points and bolted the child restraint bracket to The seatbelt anchor point .
I hope that makes sense .

hec

hecasked

Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

I have my self alittle problem with 1995 transporter t4 front wheel drive.out put drve is leaking gear oil baddly and theres' alot off movement in that area is it.easy to fix my self and how can i go about this and repair it ?

freecamper

Mate, there are many, many, many gear linkages in a 95 T4 vehicle and I do not recommend that you fix it yourself.
I just bought a 1995 T4 and the previous owner tried to fix this very same problem himself.
He got it apart but could not get it back together and had to SOS his mechanic for help :) Sooooo funny.
It is not an easy job to fix as you may think. Get a mechanic to do the job and save yourself a few grey hairs.

freecamper

It will also save you more cost.

DingaDan

DingaDanasked

Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

Hi there - I'm looking at purchasing a 2000 transporter van - and am looking for advice and an owners manual please...

IanM

Are you looking for auto or manual, petrol or diesel?

The house of ms

Hey after having a couple of my own- I would (me) not buy another 2L again UNLESS it's cheap lol. My 94 has a 2.5 with 492,000klm and it still shots all over my 97 -2L with appropriate 250,000klm. Don't get me wrong I love the 97 but if you want aircon and climbing a hill you have to be prepared to drop back about to 80klm without floggings. And I got very similar miles out of the 2.5 compared to the 2L. But again I'd choose transporter over any jap van every time. 1. The motor is up front- sitting on your motor in 40 degree heat is INSANE. T3-4 are easy to get parts for- they all fit each other- one issue of this model is the window winders (interior) but vice grips work just as well lol. There simple to access and work on- just depends on what you want it to do for you. But going up the highway- there a good cruise without air on m

Try Ebay for a Manual

Goddess

Goddessasked

Hi I am looking at buy a vw transporter SWD Van/minivan 1995
& was wondering what I need to look for re: the engine

Steve

I would be looking at the usual things eg: oil leaks, has the oil been changed regularly .
Does the engine run smoothly.
I would be looking at the condition of the timing belt.

I agree with Steve.
Timing belt should be changed every 7 yrs or 105,000kms. Never go over that as it is made of rubber with compounds added which break down automatically with either use or age. If belt breaks, then your engine is immediately cactus and so damaged it wont start. All belts have a sticker on them re date and kms at change.
Belt needs to be replaced religiously on time to avoid a major cost of a new engine. VW engines are not cheap.

Never buy a vehicle without getting it inspected first. I have found that NRMA Pre-Purchase Inspection checks about 10-12 items more than Redbook does (Carsales Inspection Option).

If there is no NRMA in your new vehicles area, find a mechanic that has a hoist long enough to lift the car (no, don't laugh. I found many in a large CITY whose hoists were not very long) and send him the NRMA Checklist. It is similar to a Brown Slip for trucks.

You can find the NRMA detailed checklist here

Copy and paste the headings (half way down the page) and what they all involve, save to Word, then email to mechanic.
He can inspect the vehicle off that list.

Hope this helps.

Gabriel

Gabrielasked

Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

where is fuel pump position for vw transporter t4?

freecamper

I saw this video on how to remove a fuel pump. Didn't say what model though.
The car pictured was a left hand drive. Not sure what you have, but it is apparently under a front seat.

A M G

R/H drive remove front passenger seat. Pull up floor covers if needed there is a cover held down with about 6 or 8 screws under the cover is the access cover to the fuel tank. Unscrew the big nut/ collar. It's about 4" in diameter inside the fuel tank is the swirl pot grab hold and turn anti clockwise about 1/4 turn. The whole swirl pot and fuel pump assembly will lift out. Then comes the fun part unscrewing the swirl pot. Fuel pump is inside. And costs only a fraction of the price of a complete unit.

Mark Volgren

Mark Volgrenasked

Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

I am looking to buying a 1995 - 1998 vw transporter van 2.5 cc , could anyone have an idea how much weight the van can carry? ideally am looking at a van than can carry atleast 1 ton

Steve

I thought that all transporters have a one tonne pay load .

For a 1995 T4, 2.5L (which I have):

1.1 tonnes

Malafaķa

Malafaķaasked

Transporter T5.I (2004-2010)

Did the engine have a problem?

Steve

The engine has never had any problems, still like new.

murray j

murray jasked

Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

Good'ay guys 1995 t4 2.0l 4cyl petrol running rich 2.l/per100k anyone have a suggestion to fix it?

Steve

Not sure, Take it to a VW specialist that's what I do .

The house of ms

Hey I have a t4 97 2L and average 500klm per tank and I have a great mechanic altho he's not done much work with vdub's- I would suggest a good tune but I'm sure you have already done that but I know by the klms I get when I need a tune

Chris

Chrisasked

Transporter T5.I (2004-2010)

Is somebody able to give me a rough price on a new clutch install for a 2009 VW Transporter T5 dual cab,manual.I had it serviced 2 months ago and as I drove it out it sounded different.Two months later my clutch is gone and the same mechanic is telling me it will cost $2500.00 labour and parts.Is this right,please help.

My recommendations:

1. Phone your local VW for both part and labour costs as separate items. This is your ceiling cost.
2. Then google for a new clutch online.
3. Get a few different mechanics to quote on labour costs.

Your current mechanic is having a go at you.

Parsoasked

Transporter T4 (1994-2003)

Help plz I'm loosing water out of my 1995 transporter and have to stop all the time to top it up I can't see any sign of water leaking anywhere out the top or underneath and there is no water in the oil plz help I'm stumped

SeanMc
SeanMc

Hi. Not on a T4 but my 4.0ltr Falcon wagon had the same issue 2 yrs & 20,000km ago. It was the head gasket leaking to the outside under pressure. Only tell-tale sign was a slight trickle mark on the engine. I was filling the header tank once per week.
One shot of "Aluseal" (or similar) miraculously cured it and only this weekend does it seem to be drinking again. I'll try another dose.
I've always been skeptical of magic potions but I used something similar a few years back on a V6 Camry and it was still fine when I traded it 6 mths later.
Beware, some do not work if Glycol is present at the time of treatment. Fine afterwards. Good luck!
Sean

Parso

Thanks mate I tryed that but got worse result in the shop now cheers

Vince
Vince

Check the bottom radiator hose near the aircon pipes. Mine rubbed through and 2 garages failed to find the the leak. I found the rad hose had rubbed against the the aircon hoses and was self-sealing except when the engine moved enough.
Also check the junction box on front of the head. These are plastic and crack with age.
I use Penrite coolant now and any leak shows up with tell-tale white streak stain.

stanasked

hi
have a 2007 diesel auto transporter
with 150000ks starting to grindout in 3rd i have to backoff the eccelarator
then it jumps back in to gear
not a good feeling
can someone hep please stan

IanM

If you are like a lot of transporter owners and have never had your auto trans serviced, then you are probably due for an expensive lesson. Volkswagen are telling a lot of owners that the transmission is sealed for life. You'll need to get it checked out. What area are you from?

The house of ms

Auto transmissions must be serviced else trouble sorry can't help with much other advice

I live in Bondi