Volkswagen Transporter

Volkswagen Transporter (page 3 of 3)

T5.I, T5.II, T4, T6

• Boot Size
  • Features
  • Comfort

2001 Space Shuttle

Impressive space, luxury, comfort in a performance vehicle. 2.5Tdi auto ex ambo with seats curtains, tint dual air all windows LWB just went round Aus at 100mph. Try doing that. 80l tank helps heaps. Eats up highways , bit of a slug in town but economical @ 10l/100km. Engine diesel noisy but whisper quiet cruising. Fuel additives help.Likes tyres and oil changes esp transmission. Get prof service on majors and quality techicians, this is not a Japanese or holden and so has quirks that need knowhow. 190,000km and ready to do it again
Luxury and performance with economy
Expensive parts, frequent service, bad service

h.s

h.sQueensland, Australia

The best commercial van, if fingers cross there are no problems

Engine Size2.0L Turbo

How did this pass QC??

Engine Size2.0L Turbo
VW Weary
VW Weary

Useful Comments - can you recommend a good reliable van? - Im going to have to sell my T5 - im now scared to drive it as expensive things keep breaking at 170 000km.

Pete

PeteIllawarra, NSW

1996 T4 Semi-camper

T4, 2.5L 5 cylinder petrol, manual - bought new in 96 and converted to semi-camper by TRAKKA. Travelled 220K over 7 years with 40K towing a 1.5 tonne caravan. Some minor problems but all in all a very good, reliable vehicle. Still had original clutch and rear brakes when sold.
Pretty fuel efficient for its size - average 11L/100K overall (16L/100K towing)
Nothing major

the passengers perspective

Doc
Doc

Try a ford transit passenger seat obviously passenger seat comfort is a secondary thought in vans most of the ones I have owned had horrible passenger seats
I know this from all the complaints I received from passengers LOL

T5 Auto Transmission knackered 115,000km

Dion
Dion
Barrington

BarringtonOcean Grove

I run 3 VW Transporters, 2 are sitting idle with gearbox problems

A real winner

We bought our Transporter T5 new in 2008 & could not be happier. It was a 77KW manual SWB model with barn doors, to enable loading of pallets. The fuel economy is great, reliability great, very comfortable and road manners terrific. If your in the market for a good quality van I would recommend a VW Transporter. We have just ordered another this time with the 103KW 6 speed manual transmission.
Fuel economy

usedtobevwfan
yellow75

yellow75sydney

8 grand to fix

These vans are unreliable i have had my van for less than a year and it is a 2007 model.... and it now needs a new gear box. The transmition on this van is horrible. While i drive it goes into safe mode, i have taken it back to VW and they apparently fixed (in their dreams) as it still goes into safe mode while i drive.... well not at the moment considering its parked up at a mechanic waiting on a gear box!

gear box and safe mode

Very bad unreliable vans

Unreliable vans expensive to fix so disappointed from VW . I bought VW because I thought its german cars they more expansive than other cars like Japanese cars so they have to be better but I was so wrong . Personally I will never buy VW anymore I will stick with Japanese van they reliable vans like the hiace they very good van , Im a tradesmen I got two vans for my business VW transporter and 1999 Toyota haice running 298000km just fill up petrol and normal service
Driving it got a lot of power
Gearbox problems for auto

maximusthrashamus

maximusthrashamusnsw, 2044

only buy them new

auto gearbox nightmares

i have a love hate relationship with vw's
i love the van overall,but hate their reliability
no wonder the germans lost the war
gearbox drops into neutral as its going up through the gears from 1st to 2nd and to 3rd when engine is hot,ok when cold
my t5 with 78,000k's needs the auto gearbox rebuilt,cost is going to be aleast 3 to around 6 grand,my mechanic insists its due to not changing the oil in the gearbox,recommends it should be done every 40,000k's
solid,drives more like a car than a van
expensive shithouse gearbox,doubt i would ever buy another

Ant47
Ant47

Hi I have the same problems as you with my 2005TD5 a nightmare nowdays

Dean20
Dean20
MrsCackle

Sorry to hear of the problems you are having. Is it a manual or an auto? can you be more specific as to what lets go. We have sold our T4 and are looking at a T5 - some of the comments are making us a little nervous!

Terrible

volkswagen
volkswagen
jajuco
jajuco

We have just had the exact same thing happen to our transporter, 6 months out of warranty and 103,000km's - they are charging me $14,500 for the transmission! Surely they can't keep doing this?

lorrian
lorrian

There is obviously a fault with that model gearbox.Maybe we could start a class action against VW to recover our costs. Send me your thoughts.

ajayvius

ajayvius

OK

This vehicle has an excellent cargo carrying capacity with a wide opening rear door and ability to store a large amount of material in the back. The engine is very reliable though it is a bit heavy on fuel. Suitable as a round town delivery vehicle though not so good on the open road.
Solid, dependable, reliable German engineered vehicle.
The heater has got stuck on at times which makes it very hot inside the cabin. The drivers seat is stuck in a very upright erect position which can make it very uncomfortable to be driving this vehicle over long distances or sitting in it over long periods of time.

MrsCackleAU

Bad

Andy_P

Andy_PMelbourne

Just keeps getting better

So i got the last one of the 2009 VW Transporter 4Motion in Australia in late 2010 and it was A LOT CHEAPER TOO ($14K), this is my 3rd VW now and it's been very good much better than the older ones. Its my first 4Motion and i love it, a lot better than the standerd but slow of the mark but a lot faster in the top end and handles like a sports car. If you buy a Transporter at all you must buy the 2.5lit in Manual too not Auto.
4 wheel drive, 6 speed, top end speed
Take of is a little slow but makes up for in the top end

John b