Vtech 16650

Vtech 16650 Questions & Answers

17 questions from our users

Renae

Renaeasked

The phone has stopped ringing. Says the line is in use. How can this be fixed?

LDN

I didn’t experience this problem but I would try the usual generic fix for electronic equipment of turning off the power to the ‘phone, unplugging the ‘phone from either the ‘phone jack or the modem, and removing any batteries. I would wait one minute, and the put the batteries back in, reconnect then ‘phone to either the modem or the ‘phone jack and then plug the phone back on and turn on the power. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help. Good luck.

Ela M.

Ela M.asked

Hi,
I need information, can this model run connected to Optus NBN ?
thnaks EM

LDN

Yes, mine was connected to the NBN through Telstra.

Christien A.

Christien A.asked

When I dial, my number is displayed as Private Number on the other person's phone. How do I make my number not private?

LDN

To show your telephone number when calling someone else, dial 1832 before dialing the number you wish to call.

Alice S.

Alice S.asked

We dont have the nbn do we need internet for the vtech 16650 my parents dont want the internet just a normal ingoing outgoing ph

LDN

Sorry but I have changed my telephone system some time ago and I no longer have this product. I Am not 100% sure but I seem to recall that it did work on a normal land line before our area was changed to the useless wireless NBN broadband several years ago.

Margaretasked

How do I add caller id to VTech 16650

LDN

As far as I am aware, you have contact your telephone provider for this, which is an additional charge, and once they enable this, the numbers of those calling you shows up.

Margaret

Thanks LDN, I will give it a go!

Walter G.

Walter G.asked

i want instructions on how to set up this phone

LDN

Whilst I no longer have this ‘phone, from my recollection I simply plugged one end into a power point and the other into my NBN Modem where is was marked telephone, as my “landline” is a misnomer as it is internet connected. Sorry I cannot help you more. I am fairly sure my phone came with an instruction book. If yours doesn’t, search online for the instruction Manual.

Bernadette V.

Bernadette V.asked

Info on the base LCD display isn't working.
Have turned off power - anything else I should do?

LDN

Sorry unable to help you. I have replaced my VTech phones with a much friendlier system.

Loughton

Loughtonasked

Is my current VTech 16550 compatible with the NBN. Thank you.

LDN

My VTech 16550 is currently connected to the NBN Wireless Broadband network in my area. When the NBN goes down, which is frequent, I do not have a telephone. It may be different if you have fibre to the node or cable NBN.

Ed Hughesasked

Can you download contacts from the base to the handset?

Ed Hughesasked

can you download contacts from base to handset?

LDN

It would appear not. I started putting a few entries in but because I have so many, I just put family members in. These entries are visible in the base but do not transfer to the handset. Also, I no longer trust digital phone books as I entered all my contacts in a previous phone system that I had and I lost everything when it broke so I now write everything in a good old fashioned book and use that. Sorry I cant help you but it is not a phone system I would recommend and I am looking for a new one to replace it.

Ed Hughesasked

can you download contacts from base to handset?

Lyle

Lyleasked

My elderly mother-in-law doesn't want an answering machine and wants it to ring longer so she has time to get to the phone as she sometimes doesn't hear it for a few rings. I have switched off the TAM as per the manual, but it stills cuts to the answering machine after 6 rings. I have changed the settings to make it ring 8 times, but it still cuts to the answering machine after 6 rings. Any suggestions?

Henry

Henryasked

My friend has Vtech 16650 corded phone with cordless phone. If an incoming call is answered on the corded phone on the base, can you then press the speaker button on the base to listen hands free? Not using the cordless handset, only the base corded hand piece and speaker button on the base.

yes you can

Rita H.

Rita H.asked

I somehow put Call screening on my phone and I can not work out how to turn it off.

LDN

I am not sure what you mean by Call Screening. If you have Caller ID, then the caller’s number is automatically shown and you scan decide whether to it answer it or not. Regardless of whether you have Caller ID installed or not, if you have the answering machine operating and you wait until the caller starts to leave a message, you can either pick up the phone and talk to the caller, or you can allow the caller to finish their message and hang up.

Alasdair1

Alasdair1asked

I can't work out how to organize call forwarding to my mobile phone from my VTech 16650.

Have you tried 72#?

Karen

Karenasked

Have purchased vtech 16650 for an elderly person with vision & hearing problem. We decided on this ph for the large numbers & stated volume boost & speaker ph. Downfall of this ph for someone with vision problems is the orange screen with black numbers/numbers. This is a very difficult combination & wondering if there is somewhere we can change the background colour. Also disappointed that the volume boost, ph book & menu keys are also black with small writing ( should have checked these). We are really hopeful we can change the orange background but not able to find this option in the manual. Any ideas?

LDN

Sorry, no that it just another black mark against this 'phone, although I don't have a great problem with the orange background when the 'phone rings.

HI,
I'm sorry but I cant help you. Like yourselves, I found the manual next to useless, and no information available online.
Lee

Helen

Helenasked

Unable to get dial tone to call out however can pickup incoming calls however I cannot hear the caller even though ghey can hear me.. Have checked with nbn and they say the issue is with the phone. Any ideas?

LDN

I think you should check how your phone has been installed and whether there is a problem with any of the cords, particularly the clips. Otherwise I would take the phone back to point of purchase and seek a replacement. Although I have bagged this phone, justifiably, it does work for me, albeit not too well.