3.3

3.5
Temperature Consistency
4.3
Heating Speed
Brand Manager for Vulcan? Claim your listing.

Konrad
Konrad3 posts

Poor product. Vulcan system failed after 2.5 years

New hot water system. Failed after 2.5 years. internal fault - No hot water or any water period. Only one person uses the system so very little use. Every other system I have lived with has been 10+ years. Show details
Functionality
Temperature Consistency
javier
javier

rubbish after 7 year need replace

i install a new 135 Lt hot water tank to my investment property in , melbourne 26/5/2016 , today 1/11/2023 my agent told me need to be replace , this time i go for Rheem , i friends with Rheem hot water tank never a problem last longer and easy to fix it . Show details
Perth
Perth
  135L

Under two years and the relief valves need replacing

Vulcan advised that there is only a 12 month warranty on their relief valves. I've called a couple of places for quotes and they say $300 to $400 and recommend replacing all valves at the same time because if one is going they both probably will. I shouldn't have to pay more than 1/4 of the units price in the first 2 years. The quality is not there. Show details
Mick
MickGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

28 years!

We are about to replace our Vulcan Hotshot 135L gas hot water unit. It was installed in 1994. 28 years of fantastic service. What more can I say? Show details
Jen
JenGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC2 posts
  Verified 135L

Vulcan Freeloader 135L lasted 7.5 years

Our Vulcan Freeloader 135L has only lasted 7.5 years, installed in 2014. It was good when it was working, gas bills were reasonably.
Whilst it did last longer than the warranty period of 5 year, one would have expected a new unit would have lasted much longer!
I.e. The previous gas water unit that came with the house looked dated at the time we moved in but lasted another 10 years until this replacement in 2014.
So a bit disappointed with having to replace the system again. Show details
SamJR
SamJRSydney206 posts
customer_first_namec
customer_first_namecSouth East Queensland, QLD8 posts

Lasted 26 years

We've had the Vulcan 135 for 26 years and it's only being replaced with another because of a small leak. We never had an issue and it's never missed a beat. Show details
Aaron formosa
Aaron formosaGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Crap unit

Not happy only lasted us 6 years tank rusted through will not buy one again you would think it would of lasted 10 years minimum to be satisfied with it Show details
Overall
Functionality
Peter Kothstein
Peter KothsteinPerth, WA2 posts

Cheap Hot Water

As a 33 year veteran Licensed Gasfitter (GF8771) Vulcan are the cheapest storage Gas unit at the plumbing supplies store.

2 Main and key elements for trouble free running of your unit is
1) Commissioned by a person Qualified Rheem Agent's

2) Replace your sacrificial Anode after 4 Years. Recommended by Rheem after 5 Years.

3) When going on a extended period of vacancy, Turn Gas and Water OFF, Drain Storage Cylinder .

4) Run Gas control between 4 and 5, this will reduce Gas consumption as the Vulcan will have a 50 degree Temperature Limiting valve installed.

Successful Hot Water Consumption and many years of trouble free running.

Sincerely
Peter Kothstein
West Australia Gasfitter GF8771
0405025476 Show details

Davo 767
Davo 767Southwest, VIC20 posts

Never stopped working

My HWS started dripping rusty water and thought "that's it" time for a new HWS. Discovered from documents left by previous house owner that my HWS was over 18 years old and not once did it falter. Installed a new one the same as before Vulcan 135L and am delighted with it. Have had to turn the temp control down to 4 (old one previously 6-7) as the water was too hot. Great feature of "Vacation" setting where you can turn the system off and leave the pilot light on and it doesn't keep reheating whilst you are away. When you return home, the reheat time for the tank is about 45 mins. My plumber Nigel says they are the best and installs around 5-8 per week. Thank you Vulcan for a great & reliable product.

wayne
wayneperth

Vulcan Freeloader Lasted 23 Years

Our Vulcan Freeloader 260 has finally died after serving us loyally for 23 years without a problem (july 1995). Other than regularly releasing the relief valve, no maintenance carried out during its life. Provided reliable service to family of 4 and its daily demands. Certainly cant complain about its performance and longevity of service.

Robert John
Robert JohnGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC123 posts
  Verified 135L

Excellent for price

Had this model installed in 2014 and it has been an excellent and efficient water heater. On half setting and my total 2 month gas bill is only around $80 to $90 to run it and my gas cooking as well. I will update the post if something goes wrong but as for the performance and efficiency I am very happy with it.
Update 2022, I replaced the anode inside the tank as they need to be replaced every 5 year's. Only cost me about $40 to do. Hot water service is still performing perfectly. Very happy with the quality of this unit. Show details
Pat
PatLangwarrin9 posts

Vulcan Freeloader Hot Water Service

I recently downsized to a unit and the hot water system there kept going out and I was forever relighting the pilot. Although it was only 4 years old I decided to replace it with a Vulcan Freeloader as I have never had any problems with them in the past. I have had 18 years out of my last one with only 1 anode replacement and my hot water was always hot. In summer I always turn the temp down, I think it is senseless having water so hot that you have to use that much cold to use it, apart from using less gas and water I feel that it saves wear and tear on the unit.

LynH
LynHMelbourne

Vulcan Tough? Not mine!

The Vulcan website blurb states that Vulcan is "tough and built with the best".

Well, not the one I have!

After only 2 1/2 years the pilot light went out and would not re-light. Called the plumber who installed it and it was a failed thermocouple. Very poor quality to fail after such a short time - and of course warranty on parts is only 12 months. From other reviews this seems a common problem. Our old hot water service lasted over 12 years. I wouldn't buy Vulcan again.

MLP
MLPPerth, WA5 posts

Poor Vulcan Quality

I've had the product 2 years. Recently had the issue where the pilot light would not stay alight. Had to call Vulcan maintenance who installed a new thermocouple.

Website proudly displays "5 year warranty" but surprise....this only covers the cylinder.

Repair cost me $170. This is poor after just 2 years of use.

The maintenance guy said this was "very unusual" but reviews on this website indicate otherwise.

Peter R.
Peter R. · Freeloader 135L (648135)

how do you turn the water pressure up on freeloader

Jay
Jay · Freeloader 135L (648135)

I replaced my old Vulcan 135L gas hot water system with a new Vulcan 135L unit recently. I note that it takes a longer time for the hot water to come through as compared to the old unit which gave the hot water in just a few seconds. The impact of this I am waiting a longer time for the hot water to come through and also more importantly, I am wasting water while I am awaiting the hot water to arrive.
Why is this ? Otherwise the unit is working properly.

Accounts K.
Accounts K.

Same problem, it’s only luke warm, the unit is going, I press the relief valve on the side and hot water comes out of the unit and appears to fix the issue, Vulcan had no idea when I called them.

Robert John
Robert John · Freeloader 135L (648135)

Has anyone replaced the anode on this unit. I need to know which one is the right one. I was told this would be the correct one but am unsure is it uses a blue ananode. Please help.

Compare all Vulcan Freeloader Gas Hot Water System listings

Extra Information

Brand Manager for Vulcan? Claim your listing.