Vulcan Freeloader Gas Hot Water System

Vulcan Freeloader Gas Hot Water System Questions & Answers (page 2)

Brand Manager for Vulcan? Claim your listing.
P C.
P C. · Freeloader Gas Hot Water System

My system has rusted water coming out from the hot water, I need to flush my system but I can't find any instruction or location the drain valve, please help! Thanks!

Gary
Gary · Freeloader 170L (648170)

How long does it take for water to heat to max temp from cold on heat setting 5

Gary

problem solved. hot water pipe leaking under brick paving

Edwina G
Edwina G · Freeloader Gas Hot Water System

I can't get any hot water through the taps. What do I need to check to get hot water please?

Mal P.
Mal P. · Freeloader Gas Hot Water System

To get hot water does the pilot light stay on

Irish Kev
Irish Kev · Freeloader 170L (648170)

Pilot light on but no hot water.
I checked the relief valve and water coming out of pipe is hot.

mark delmege
mark delmege · Freeloader 135L (648135)

Hi, can I/ should I flush out the tank and or replace the anode after 5 years? thanks

Michael G.
Michael G.

yes, if in doubt, at least pull the anode out and check it to see if it's degraded to the point where it needs changing.
It's mounted in the top of the tank, on the front left side under the insulation (you need to cut some of the insulation away to access it)

Alan G.
Alan G. · Freeloader Gas Hot Water System

HI, what is the pressure relief valve position, groove vertical or horizontal please?

Shaun M.
Shaun M. · Freeloader Gas Hot Water System

My 20 year old Vulcan Freeloader 300 is working fine but periodically makes rumblings sound from inside. Is it over heating, any suggestions.?

Nelz W
Nelz W · Freeloader Gas Hot Water System

I turned my system off a month ago as we went away .... now it won’t relight

Robert John

Turn the gas on and use a long lighter to light the burner

Robert John

Sometimes you need to run the gas through for a minute to purge the line

Marilyn Davis
Marilyn Davis · Freeloader Gas Hot Water System

The water system is set to highest number of 7 and flame is on. However it is not heating up to boiling hot water , only water you can still put your hand under

Davo 767

Heat setting 4-5 is more than hot for me. I would suggest you contact your Rheem Service department ASAP. Rgds.

emilio c.
emilio c. · Freeloader Gas Hot Water System

i did asked a question and please don't answer at Christmas time

emilio c.
emilio c. · Freeloader Gas Hot Water System

pilot light is not lightining

Davo 767

Seems to be a fault with their ignition system. Had to call RHEEM and the man came out and replaced the whole system with a new one. Since then, perfect. Call RHEEM and see what they say. Cheers.

Hongyan Z.
Hongyan Z. · Freeloader Gas Hot Water System

Hi I currently moved to a new home, the pilot I have light it up now, however still nil hot water at home, what could be the problem? Any switch ?

Robert John

Make sure the dial is between number 3 to 6. Get down and look to make sure the flame is big like a gas stove on high not just the pilot light. Try turn to setting 6/max if that does not work

Pootchy
Pootchy · Freeloader Gas Hot Water System

how to light the pilot

Davo 767

Hi there, you will have to go online with the model number and then follow the guide there. Be warned, there was/is a batch with faulty ignitions. I had trouble a few months back and the Rheem man had to comer and replace/adjust pilot. Good luck. Mine was all under warranty and no probs.

Zoey H.
Zoey H. · Freeloader Gas Hot Water System

I read the reviews many problems with its pilot light, and other problems with this heater.

Robert John

I have never had a problem in 5 years with this model. Pilot light has never blown out and the unit has functioned flawlessly.

Davo 767

Hi Zoey, sorry for delay, the email went into the junk file for some reason. Strange you mention the Pilot light. After writing my review, went on holiday and turned unit onto "vacation"and when I returned could not relight the unit. The Rheem man (thank you Bob) came promptly and replaced the lighter system and had a fiddle around with the pilot and since then (4 months) it has been perfect. Hope this helps. Am still giving this HWS a high rating. Cheers

Tony C
Tony C · Freeloader 135L (648135)

How do I ensure that no hot water leaks when I turn off the cold water main to replace washers in a leaking hot water tap in the shower recess? The water heater is a Vulcan freeloader Gas 648135 NO. Reply to [email removed]

Regards. Tony. I rent

Quoc D
Quoc D · Freeloader Gas Hot Water System

Had a 10 years old vulcan gas water, now rusted hot water keep on coming out every time i use it?

Robert John

It's rusted out in the bottom. Time to buy a new one.

Peter
Peter · Freeloader Gas Hot Water System

Vulcan 300 does running water turn the pilot flame back on?

Robert John

No. If the pilot is out you will need to follow the steps to re ignite it.

Davo 767

Hi Peter, NO ! There is a temp dial and recently was away for 3 weeks so turned the marker to the DOT after temp gauge 1 and this will leave the pilot ON but not reheating through the thermostat and thus saving gas for having hot water when you are not there. When I returned I moved the dial to 4 and boom (you could hear the gas igniting) and within 17 MINUTES, I had hot water again. So much so, that after a day I had to turn the dial down to 2 as the water was far too hot especially for the shower. Best $1200 I have spent in years. Hope this helps. rgds David.

Gary · Freeloader Gas Hot Water System

We have a Vulcan Freeloader 300 Super 10, mains pressure gas hot water unit. It is 21 years old and has been trouble free except for the pilot light. Over this period pilot light went off about 5 times due to strong wind and after several attempts pilot would finally light up. Today the pilot went off again during strong wind and after many attempts lasting up to an hour it would not light up this time. Would anyone know what the problem might be? Does a part needs replacement? Thank you for your advice.

Pat

Hi 21 years is a great effort for your Gas Hot Water. Going by my experience from many years ago you could possibly need the thermocouple cleaned or replaced and I think it would be the latter, but either way you need a plumber. I hope this helps. Pat.

Gerrit
Gerrit

Our Freeloader Super 10, 300 had problems to at times have the pilot light going out. While I have been using it for over 20 years, it was already years before me in use. I, about 10 years ago, had the anode replaced. I about 7 years ago had RACV Home Service and well the plumber made clear that the unit was leaking water and needed to be replaced. I disagreed and RACV then got another plumber to attend. He too told me the entire unit needed replacing. I disagreed. I decide to purchase for $25.00 a new element and RACV then had this plumber coming back, albeit making known the plumber knew his job, and while the plumber made clear I had wasted my monies (the $25.00) nevertheless he fitted it. Except for twice the pilot light going out in since then, due to wind, it is still working great. I now contemplate to change over the anode, as this is important to seek to prevent the unit to rust away, but to me it is a success story. While the plumbers were correct there was water at the bottom of the unit, this however was not a leak at all but simply the overflow. Within the cabinet itself there is not a single drop of water as to indicate any leak! It is very important for users to understand that the anode is to seek to reduce/prevent the container to rust away. As such, better to replace it at times then having to replace the entire Hot Water Heater. Regretfully no labeling I could find on the unit indicates this about the anode.

GeeCee
GeeCee · Freeloader Gas Hot Water System

We have a Vulcan 300......quite a few years old. The other day we thought we had a gas leak inside the house so turned the gas off at the meter to check if we had a leakage and which in turn shut the water heater off. We were able to re-ignite it but today for some reason, it has turned off and we cannot re-ignite it. Does the igniter needed to be replaced or is it more serious?

Pat

You don`t mention how old, it could just need the Thermocouple replaced you would need to ask a plumber to have a look.

Select a listing for your question
Vulcan Freeloader Gas Hot Water System

Extra Information

Brand Manager for Vulcan? Claim your listing.