Wahl 1541

Wahl 1541

4.0 from 1 review

See the Best Men's Hair Trimmers / Personal Groomers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

A good product but not perfect

I've been trimming my beard for the last 50 odd years and this trimmer is as good as or better than any trimmer I've previously used.

The lithium ion rechargeable battery has got plenty of power and maintains its charge well. I recently took it overseas and at one use a week it lasted the month I was away easily and is still going strong 8 weeks after returning.

The cam that drives the oscillation of the blade is made of metal, unlike some other otherwise good trimmers I've owned in the past.

The blades seem to be properly milled and not just made of pressed steel, as is common amongst cheaper units.

Regarding the combs there is mixed news. They are the weakest part of the package. Being made of clear plastic they give the impression of being somewhat fragile, unlike the usual black plastic combs that slide along tracks outside the blades. These have a long arm which slides down a groove at the back of the unit showing trim lengths from 2 to 24 mm. There is a locking control which very securely holds the comb at the desired length, and is not given to sudden disastrous collapse so often found in trimmers.

It may be due to the slacker skin of an ageing face, but I found the sharpness of the leading edge of the 2 different supplied combs to cause some discomfort, and to also prevent me from trimming my moustache, and so i ordered a spare blade to experiment with by filing back. To my surprise and joy the blade which was supplied (part No.1541.7300 was totally different and did not have the problems related to the other 2.

I have recently changed my technique from sliding the combs along my cheeks in the normal (mowing) action to turning the trimmer over and using it in short, rapid strokes, lightly removing unwanted hair.

This is a good trimmer, robust, functional and above all, affordable.

January 1st 2018 Update: Perseverance doesn't always get results

Following on my August 2018 review I persevered with the new comb I bought, which is an improvement on the combs supplied with the unit but after a further 5 months I still think they are not nearly as good as the black combs that used to be standard equipment. The locking mechanism is firm but it is quite difficult to line up the locking notches with the locking button. I have a Wahl trimmer made in the last century that solved this problem.
This looks like novelty for novelty's sake. Pity; it is a weak point in a good design.