Weber Baby Q Series

Gas BBQs Buying Guide

A gas bbq can help you get sizzling. But would you prefer a portable bbq or a freestanding one? What about LPG or natural gas? This buying guide will help answer your burning questions.

Read now

Pros

• Compact and portable

• Long lasting and durable

• More affordable than other BBQs

Cons

• Larger Weber BBQs may be more effective

• Preheating Speed
  • Even Heat DistributionYes (0) · No (1)
  • Safety
Wayne P.

Wayne P.Central Queensland, QLD

Doesn't get hot enough!

I like our Baby Q (Q100) which is great for steaks and snags, but it doesn't get hot enough for crackling on a roast pork. Tried many times without success. If there is the slightest breeze around, it even struggles with a few steaks on and ends up broiling them rather than grilling. It needs a bit more oomph!!

Purchased in March 2013 at Barbeques Galore for A$300.00.

Preheating Speed
Safety
Even Heat DistributionNo

"Portability"

I know that Weber Baby Q requires a 4.5kg to 9kg gas cylinder. However, is it still possible for me to use one that is smaller than 4.5kg? For portability, I would think a smaller gas cylinder is more appropriate. For example Bunnings only sells gas cylinders weighing 3.7kg and 8.5kg. I am a bit disappointed that I need to buy a heavier gas cylinder as this compromises the portability of the Weber Baby Q.

George

GeorgeSouth East Queensland, QLD

RUN ITS RACE

Had my Webber just under 10 years. I replaced one grill and now the second grill is shot (rusted). Basically the BBQ went well except for the last 12 months, auto lighter went, the BBQ lost heat, replaced the regulator, and little or no improvement. Tried all the tips on YOU TUBE to reset the regulator but to no avail. My assessment is the BBQ has run its race and is now unreliable. Time for a trip to the tip and look around for a new BBQ.

Date PurchasedSep 2009

Jay K

Jay KAU

Temperature

I have bought the weber Baby q without the thermometer to use on our caravan travels. I can't for the life of me workout to set it at 180 degrees. There is no indication on the dial and I've had too many disasters. I don't want to spend my holidays sitting watching meat cook.

Date PurchasedMar 2018
Harshul

HarshulSydney

Perfect

Works perfect and its fast.
This bbq is easy to use, its a good choice if you want to cook something at home. However, this bbq is not easy to clean. Most of the time my bf need to use too much tissue to clean it but the food.I love mine it cooks food so perfectly better than a normal bbq. When you close the lid it really cooks the food well. They don't take up to much…

Date PurchasedJan 2018
Weber Barbecues A.Weber

Hi Harshul, thanks for your comment. Your Q only has to be cleaned roughly every 5-6 cooks, and it can be scraped into the centre hole using our Weber Q Cookbox Scraper. Hope that helps!

Sarahjane

SarahjaneSydney

Could be better

Bbq is a great size, easy to use but not easy to clean! The white top goes grimy very quickly and especially being outdoors! The grill plates however are incredibly difficult to clean. Any sauce or fat sticks to the grill making it really hard to clean and then in turn peeling off the coating on the grill which can’t be good!!

Date PurchasedDec 2017
Lara

LaraSydney

Great, easily gets grimy

Have to buy a small gas bottle, assembly was easy.

Gets grimy easily due to a small size and the lid especially.

Had many great meals on it, mostly stakes.

Had a flat plate, but never really found it useful.

Compact size, which is great, but if not cleaned Expect a lot of smoke.

Date PurchasedMar 2006
Shandi

ShandiAU

Its OK

We purchased this BBQ for use while travelling in a caravan, it is ok, but could be better, as we find that it could be hotter, even with the lid down. Rather a small cooking surface also. Then I suppose it is only a small unit, and maybe I am expecting more than I should from it.

Date PurchasedMar 2016
SLUSCOMBE

SLUSCOMBEMelbourne

cooks great

Great little BBq but way to expensive for what it is. Gas fittings makes it tough to use wish it was a heat bead charcoal cooker. Lid is hard to open which is a shame and was difficult to put together but the quality of food is great
Yum Yum

Munch

MunchSouth East Queensland, QLD

undecided

Dislike cooking on this

I bought this about 5 years ago for my parents and detest cooking on it when I visit them. The grill is like a food magnet, esp for chicken. It never seems to get hot enough and tends to stew steaks rather sear hem, (Yes lid is down), but it does start reliably, and the cast body will last forever. I recently cooked on a larger Q at a holiday house, and that was a much better experience.

leighb

Thanks Dave. I'll try that next time I'm up there.

leighb

A 15 minute pre heat certainly made a lot of difference. I cooked two large pieces of steak in one session and a small butterflied lamb which both came out much better than previous times.

janelleenglish

janelleenglishQueensland, 4573

Great in the beginning

I was very happy with the Baby Q for almost 6 months before I started having problems starting it. The flicker will would not work so we have always had to use an external source to light the BBQ, which can be a little dangerous at times. Whilst I love the compact size of the BBQ it is a real hassle to clean. The gas jets get blocked constantly.
I'm sure a cheaper model BBQ would work just as well as the Baby Q. Definitely would not purchase another one.

Tim MSydney

Cooks well, but concerned about safety as flame constantly goes out.

The unit does cook really well and is a nice compact unit. I am however very concerned about safety. So many times have I pre heated the unit (located on a covered balcony with no wind), walked inside to get the meat to come back and the flame is out and there is a strong smell of gas (obviously). Unfortunately this bbq requires constant supervision and doesn't allow multi tasking like preparing the salad inside as the meat cooks. Such a shame.

Tim M

Thanks. Yes I have the DVD and NO I do not cook with the lid up. I will give your customer service department a call.

keisha01

keisha01AU

Ok, but flame goes out if there's any wind whatsoever!

In all other ways, the Baby Q is a great (although expensive) BBQ. It cooks roasts REALLY tenderly and juicy with the convection tray and cleans easily. It does cook very quickly, so you need to take this into account if you're not used to this style of cooking.

However, if there is even a breath of wind, it goes out! I have mine on a north facing verandah, so it's fully protected from south & south-westerly winds. I have to turn it around if there is ANY wind at all. I don't know how people go who use them in the open air.

It's a shame, as this ruins what is otherwise a great BBQ.

Ben1515PERTH

No Hot Plate :(

MMCR
MMCR

They make a Large Breakfast plate that will cover most of the grill this would be your best option! think they are about $40

A short gas hose

Well not used the BabyQ as yet but setting it up in the patio area
putting it on our long table so the gas bottle is directly under table away from the bbq. Trouble is hose very short now have to put the gas bottle on a box or small stool (making it unstable) and hard to turn off the gas @ the bottle.

Needs a longer gas hose (looks like I will need to visit the BBQ shop again)

OK

I checked the cost in teh US where it is made and retail for about 1/3 of the price of here. The weber 300q that I brought for $800 in Aus costs $300 in the US. The sole supplier who hold the monopoly on weber in Aus is taking australians for a ride.
Its a great BBQ , cooks well, very effiecient
Its the price, way over priced for what it is

Ian

Ianasked

Baby Q Q100

Are you guys going to bring out a retrofit for the Baby Q for a flame out sensor.? There are a lot of us who have this model and use off a bayonet fitting from the van / motor home.
Now with new Australian regulations, this is no longer legal and I will be mightily annoyed if I have to replace the Que with another brand that does comply.
Thanks Ian

Cossie

Cossieasked

Baby Q Series

We have a weber baby q and the temp on low setting is still around 180 how can you get it lower

Marko

Markoasked

Baby Q Premium (Q1200)

Can this be used with the small screw on non-refillable gas cylinders like Coleman Lightweight 1 lb LPG Bottle in Australia?

Get an answer from our members and Weber representatives

The popular Weber Baby Q Series is recommended for outdoor areas with limited space. This is a portable BBQ that you can take on holidays without it weighing you down.

Features:

• Compact BBQ designed for travel but still large enough to roast a whole chicken
  • More affordable than other Weber BBQs, which are usually around $100 more expensive
  • Stainless steel burner tubes provide an even distribution of heat
  • Available in red, black and cream

Points of praise for the Weber Baby Q Series:

• Winner of the ProductReview Award for the BBQ category for multiple years in a row, proving to be a reliable and trustworthy choice for consumers
  • Longevity was a point of praise amongst reviewers - with one reviewer claiming that they had been using their Weber Baby Q for the past 13 years
  • Many reviewers loved to take their BBQ camping, reporting that it was the perfect size.
Compare all 4 Weber Baby Q Series
Weber Baby Q Standard (Q1000)
  • 2017

Weber Baby Q Standard (Q1000)

Weber Baby Q Premium (Q1200)
  • 2017

Weber Baby Q Premium (Q1200)

Weber Baby Q Q100

Weight10.8 kg11.25 kg
Gas TypeLPGLPG
Number of Burners/Zones 11
Gas Rate 9 mJ/hr9 mJ/hr
Manufacturer Warranty5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)
Release dateSep 2006Sep 2006
Replaced byWeber Baby Q Standard (Q1000)Weber Baby Q Premium (Q1200)
Compare all 4 Weber Baby Q Series