Whirlpool 29L Convection, Crisp & Grill Microwave JQ280IX

Listing monitored by Whirlpool

19 questions from our users

Grace
Graceasked

Hi, this will be our first purchase of a combo convection + microwave.
Question 1 : can you use the convection oven function separately without using any microwaves?
Question 2 : some brands that have been reviewed note that there is quite a bit of condensation inside the microwave. How does this model fare? Much condensation on the inside when cooking?
Thanks so much.

Lane
Lane

Q1. yes you select function of oven you need.
Q2. not much condensation on microwave function, so far I love this oven with all I have cooked in it with all types of functions. I got my at Harvey Norman and saved heaps compared to Good Guys.

Robbie V.asked

We purchased this microwave yesterday then read that it needs 30cm open ventilation above it. We have an underbench microwave cabinet where we planned to install it. Does anyone have theirs in a cabinet and did it cause any issues? We'd only have a 10cm gap above. I'm wondering if that would be sufficient.
Thanks in advance

Hi Robbie,
Due to the heat emitted from this microwave, it needs to be placed on a bench to ensure adequate ventilation. Enclosed spaced like cabinets are not recommended as there is not enough room around and above the microwave.

Robbie V.

Oh no. Not the answer I was hoping for. I watched every tutorial and not a mention of it needing to be on a bench. Nothing in the specs sheet either. I just stumbled across it when I downloaded the instruction book. I certainly don't have anywhere on a bench top to store this so a very costly underbench adjustment would be needed. I'm going to have to return it. Im so disappointed as this looks like THE most amazing microwave on the market

George
George

Ours is on the bench

Jennifer Dasked

My crisp and grill wont let me set seconds for over 10 seconds cooking time .how do i fix this

Hi Jennifer,
To change the cook time setting, just turn the knob after selecting the function that you want to use.
If you are turning the know and the time isn't changing, then there may be an issue with the microwave. It would be a good idea to give Arisit Technical Support a call on 1300 762 219 to see if they can recommend a solution or if they think the microwave needs repairs.

Jennifer D

Thank you so much tried that didnt work

Meg A.asked

I purchased this a month ago and am sure every microwave has a light. This does not or it hasn't worked since purchasing

Hi Meg,
This microwave does have a light. If it is not working then it will have to be replaced by a service agent. Give Arisit Technical Support a call on 1300 762 219 and they can let you know where to take it.

Meg A.

Thank you. I exchanged for another brand at Harvey Norman due to owning it for 3 weeks and not working since purchase

Rebecca D.
Rebecca D.asked

Is there a pre heat function on the convection oven?

Hi Rebecca,

This microwave doesn't have a set function for Pre-heating. However, you can "Pre-Heat" manually. For example, when using the Crisp Function, place the supplied Crisp Plate in the Microwave, select the Crisp Function and select the desired "Pre-heat" time (e.g. 4 minutes) using the control knob.

Please ensure that you use the Crisp Handle when taking the Crisp Plate out of the Microwave.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Andy
Andyasked

Has anyone bought the Whirlpool 6th Sense 90 recipe book?
We have the JQ280IX microwave and have bought this book.

Inside the book, it refers to the chef menu button throughout the book.
However this microwave does not have this button.
Has anyone worked out what the equivalent function button is please?
Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions.
PS We have spoken with whirlpool and they were unable to help.

P.T.P.
P.T.P.

I presume it is the black button with 6th sense printed on it

Hi Andy,
For models without the Chef Button you can still access the same functions. The 6th Sense feature has a wide range of automatic cooking modes that can be used for any of the recipes in the book. When you open the door of the JQ280IX microwave you can see the list of different foods you can cook with the microwave and what mode to use.

pammie23asked

I have the 29l Whirlpool,with it I got a recipe book but it’s Chef’s menu recipes how do I adapt them?
Thanks Pam

Hi pammie23,
The JQ280IX has a range of automatic and manual cook functions that can be used for the recipes in the cookbook. This Quick User Guide has a rundown of all the functions and what they can be used for:

pammie23

Thank you for your prompt reply, the reference guide you sent I received with the microwave ,so are you saying the chef menu is no different to using the recipe straight and ignoring the chef button (that it doesn’t have any way) please explain. Thank you Pam

Anthony F.Whirlpool

The cookbook mentions using the Chef Menu on the JT479 microwave for certain functions, but those functions can also be programmed manually on that microwave, and this JQ280.
If the recipe says to use a crisp function, or steam, or combi-grill then this microwave has the ability to do that. The only difference is you might have to manually select the cooking time, or the weight of the dish you are cooking.

Will i amasked

Hi, my question is as the magnetron is faulty and not available as a part, is it possible to disconnect the HV transformer (and as a consequence the magnetron) and still use the grill and convection functions of the rest of the appliance? Thank you, await any advice. Will i am.

Hi Will I Am,

Please contact our Technical Support Department on 1300 762 219 to see if this is a possibility.

Kind Regards.

Will i am

Hello Schae P. Thanks for your reply. Has the Tech Support Dept have an email address? If so please forward to me if convienent, Thanks.

Hi Will I Am,

Yes their email address is technical.service@arisit.com

Regards,

John S.asked

1. A reviewer said the clock is not accurate and loses 15 minutes a week. Is this true?

2. If you leave the door open, does the internal lamp turn itself off automatically after a few minutes? Alternatively, can it be manually turned off by pressing a button (eg. Stop) while the door is open.

Hi John,
1. The clock is accurate.
2. The light goes off after about 15 minutes. There is no button to turn it off manually.

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I was about to take your word for it and purchase the unit from Appliances Online, but just now saw a second review on their website also claiming that "the clock lost 16 minutes in a period of only 10 days" (source: https://www.appliancesonline.com.au/product/whirlpool-crisp-n-grill-microwave-jq280ix , user name: RunQuick, review posted 2018-10-11).

Possible explanations:

1. The above reviewer is the same disgruntled customer who wrote the review here on ProductReview. Although this seems less likely from my point of view as the reviews are spaced 2 years apart and are written under different names.

2. There is a small number of units in the wild which have inaccurate clocks. Perhaps the manufacturer switched to a different supplier for the quartz crystal oscillator, or started using a slightly different chipset with a slightly different processor but didn't update the firmware to take into account the change in tick rate of the new processor.

Kruckfamily
Kruckfamily

I have had mine for just over 2.5yrs but I purposefully don't have the clock showing on the front of the microwave..to me it is just another power waster and something to glow in the dark. I have a cheap battery operated wall clock from Ikea that cost $7 and keeps really good time surprisingly.

Hari S.
Hari S.asked

how do I replace the light bulb, can't find access anywhere?

John S.

I've never seen a microwave which has a lamp that is designed to be replaced by the user. It's always behind the metal chassis, deliberately designed so the user cannot get access to it. Boggles the mind. This kind of thoughtless engineering is on par with Samsung's opaque front window and Westinghouse's undefeatable power saving mode. Though I am certain you can access the lamp by removing the outer casing, but that would almost certainly void warranty. If it's under warranty, have them do it, else you'll have to do it yourself. To avoid electrocution, unplug the microwave for 24 hours, and/or wear rubber gloves, and avoid touching any capacitors.

Hi Hari,
For replacement bulbs and details on how to replace them, it would be best to give Arisit Technical Support a call on 1300 762 219.

Kerry S.
Kerry S.asked

Does anybody know if I can buy a new metal tray for the whirlpool JQ28OIX?

Ruth W.
Ruth W.asked

Microwave worked well for the first six months then started to play up occasionally automatically stopping during cooking then progressively got worse now will only work for 1 minute before stopping. No matter what function I use so it is pretty well useless now is there a way to fix it? It was a gift. An is now out of warranty not sure if it is worth paying to get it looked at and fixed.

mellie121
mellie121

Mine was a gift too, purchased in 2018, and is doing exactly the same thing.
Honestly, I know two people other than myself who bought one of these things, and whilst they look fantastic on the bench, they're an appliance that is too complicated for even it's own technicians, too much can go wrong with them. Mine worked a treat for the first couple of years, ( albeit a little underwhelming in the 750kw microwave setting) however in the last 12 or so months, it keeps turning itself off after about a minute or so, I personally think the condensation interferes with it's electricals. I am going to donate ours to our local tip, and will have to confess the sad truth to my relatives who bought this for me as a house-warming gift that it was simply no longer functional and was evenpotentially dangerous.
With the amount of people complaining about them turning off after 1 minute on other review sites, you would have thought Whirlpool would have had the decency to recall them. I believe condensation is the reason for why their lamps stop working also. The units too big for the tiny vents provided. Poorly designed and electrically engineered. Made in.China ?

kelly3670
kelly3670asked

My door case is coming off when you open door. I believe it is part 2 and 3, not the door section that is hinged just the outer case n glass.(The clips that hold it on are broken) Its still in warranty, i am wondering would this be fixed or a replacement microwave be offered.
Kelly

metla2
metla2asked

How can I set timer (not clock)? Only timer without some function.

Dave
Dave

Unfortunately there is no timer,wish it did and just went through my manual again and again and no info on a timer at all.Hope this helps take care.

hawker69asked

Does anyone have a problem setting the clock? It's normally a very simple operation where you open the door, power off or hold in the stop button for a few seconds. When I'm at the stage where the hour is flashing, the knob where you turn it back or forward does not acknowledge? I believe this is the only way you can manipulate the time functions?

Judy

Seems you have a problem then. Turning the dail surrounding the 6th sense button should change the numbers appearing on the clock set up.
The numbers flash as soon as you press and HOLD the stop button which then enables you to change the time.
Important to press and hold initially!

hawker69

Yes, I have done all essential functions in order to resolve this issue. I believe there is an issue with the dial?!

Val S

definitely sounds like an issue with your dial and that you should return the microwave to the place you bought it. Whenever there is a query on clock setting I always have to go and get my manual and then try the steps. Open door, hold stop button until the hour digits flash then dial to the required time, hit the sixth sense button to advance to minute digits and then dial the required minutes. Final step is to hit the sixth sense button again. But as it would appear you're doing all this then take it back where you purchased or contact Whirlpool. Good luck as it really is a gem of a microwave in my books and meets my needs so hope you can get it sorted quickly.

Smoothysan
Smoothysanasked

Does the JQ 280 microwave have a known problem with the clock/timer? I can't set the clock to the correct time. Turning the adjustable knob causes it to advance by only 1 unit and then to zero again ad infinitum. Same when I'm trying to set/change the cooking time, it advances by only one unit.

Judy

Not the easiest knob to adjust as it is rather loose but apart from losing clock time I have had no problem since Whirlpool replaced the knob unit as it kept falling apart

Val S

I've not had any issues with mine so just went and adjusted my clock to follow manual instructions to check for you. They recommend you open the microwave door whilst setting the clock as it gives you more time to set the clock. If after you hold the stop button for a few seconds the hours setter should flash and then turn the adjustable knob to the required time. To advance to the minutes, hit the stop button again which will advance the setting to the minutes. Dial to the required minutes and then hit the stop button again which will set the clock. If this doesn't work then sounds like there is a definite fault with your microwave, in which case give Whirlpool a call. Hope this is helpful for you.

maddieasked

I purchased jq280ix on sunday i cant get it to stay on it turns itself off every minute does not matter what mode I am in . what could be the problem? looks as though I will have to take it back. so glad I purchased a replacement warranty on this oven

Paul J

I would definitely take it back. It wouldn't matter if you purchased the replacement warranty or not, they are obliged to take it back regardless if it is faulty. Also you can still return items for repair even after the warranty period expires if something has an unreasonable fault for its age (i.e if a fridge broke down after 2 years and was out of warranty they should still repair it as normal life for a fridge is at least over 5 years regardless of warranty period). My Whirlpool is still going strong so I hope the replacement you get is just as good as ours.

maddie

thankyou rang to good guys this morning they were more than happy to give me a new replacement microwave .they said it looks like a timer problem .haven't used my replacement yet will try tonight keeping my fingers crossed
lyn

maddie

okay here we go again timer is turning off after one minute it has a little red temperature light displaying on the right side of the machine. looks as though I will have to return this one also. could be a faulty batch of microwaves .or I there anyway to adjust the timer?
Lyn

paulbelcher99
paulbelcher99asked

Where can I buy the JQ280ix ?

hectic77

The Good Guys, however not sure if they still sell this model anymore though.

Paul J

Yeah as Hectic said I got from the Good Guys but was told they wouldn't be getting any more stock so had to buy the floor model. I also saw someone selling factory seconds on ebay so you could have a look there.

Paul J

Just noticed good guys have this back in stock again and I recommend to anyone, still loving mine after 6 months

cathiasked

I just bought one. set the clock okay but when I try to "jetstart" I can run through to the weight thing but then it just double bleeps. I have tried whirlpool FAQ with no success. How do I get it to microwave a cup of tea?

Hi Cathi,

It's quite simple. Simply turn the dial/knob to the desired the time required and press the middle button to start.

tried that - no go

Daggs
Daggs

Place cup with liquid in microwave push the Jet Start button 4 times for hot, 5 times for you no longer need the inside of your mouth.

Get an answer from our members and Whirlpool representatives

Other Microwaves