Pet Insurance Buying Guide

If you're a pet owner, you probably agree there’s nothing worse than your dog or cat getting sick or hurt. But what happens when vet bills are sky high? Pet insurance can grant you peace of mind, helping your pet get the treatment they deserve, without sending you broke.

Read now

2.4

Pet insurance top quartile service

Recent and ongoing service very high. Portal an excellent tool portal is easy to use allows tracking of correspondence I highly recommend Woolworths pet insurance our experience has been positive

Chrisco72

Chrisco72Tweed heads

Absolute rip off

Don’t go near this bunch ! I had insurance for my 11 yr old dog , she got sick and had to have a op ! It’s been 3 weeks and they want full history of everything/ vet she’s been to since a pup !!! I’m cancelling 2 policy’s !! Absolute conn

sue

sue

Highly recommend from my experience.

I have had my dog Archie insured for four years and unfortunately this is the second time he has had to have an operation and I am thrilled with the service from Woolworths. Not only the speed of paying but updating the process, only took a couple of days from start to payment. When you have a sick dog that helps a lot.

Misa

MisaGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Easy claim, easy to use web portal!

The web portal made it very easy to lodge my claim. The service was okay, quick and easy. Though claiming routine checks were easy. Claiming for accident is quite a struggle since it asked my VET back and fort for documents and verification.

Claim DateNovember 2019
Elisabeth L.Woolworths Pet Insurance

Don’t waste your money

Woolworths Pet Insurance ended up being a nightmare to deal with. Their communication is terrible and they only pay out on a very small amount of issues. I cancelled my policy due to being dissatisfied and I was still required to pay monthly instalments after this as I had made claims within the last 12 months OR I was provided the option to pay back the money that was paid out from claims. I paid them almost $1000 in the year to cover my dog and received $445 in claims. Got less than half my money back yet they wanted me to pay it back for cancelling. No insurance company I have ever used has been this bad. Wasted my money!

Nerissa

NerissaGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Absolutely terrible insurance

No benefits paid/unable to claim any money back from them. Absolutely terrible insurance. I never received any benefit from using them. Absolute waste of money! Not worth your money. Chose another pet insurance.

lcpr5249

lcpr5249Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

On their website .... We'll beat any comparable quote .... Price beat.

Elisabeth L.Woolworths Pet Insurance

Fantastic Service

Couldn’t of been happier with the service having been with Woolworths for 6 years my dog Layla spent 4 nights in an emergency vets over Easter with a very expensive bill. I was so relieved Woolworths covered the 80 percent as promised and were prompt with the payment .

Andrew R.

Andrew R.

Amazing service and coverage

Had insurance for my 10 month old puppy for 3 months when we discovered he had severe hip dysplasia and degenerative arthritis.
They have been exceptional. Covered his initial xrays, medication, consultation etc (80%), and have pre authorised his surgeries, the first of which is this week.
Best insurance I’ve ever taken out. Was expecting them to argue any claims etc but the complete opposite. I’m so happy and surprised.

I asked for

I hadn't used my insurance for my pets I no longer gave and asked for a refund since I think it's fair and I was told no and several times and all I can do now is cry

Number of Pets3 pets
Pet Type(s) InsuredCat
Billa

BillaGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

AVOID AVOID AVOID unless you like being ripped off!

I've Been with Woollies pet insurance for many years - thought it was reasonable. Never really claimed much over the years. I Just received my annual premium increase - 25% more! Yup! 25% more.

How they try and justify this 25% increase is a joke.
Nice try at ripping off your long standing customers woollies pet insurance!

Nicholas H.

Woolworths pet Insurance is a complete RIP-OFF!!!!

I've had Woolworths basic pet insurance cover for my Pomeranian for 6 years. She needed surgery to remove a lump that had formed aggressively on her tummy and the RSPCA veterinary clinic also recommended laboratory testing to confirm the lump wasn't cancerous.
Woolworths basic cover clearly states on their website that surgery & lab tests are covered under this policy but my claim has been rejected!!

Absolutely disgraceful!! I feel so let down by woolworths deception. I've been diligently feeding them money so I have cover for my pets and the first time in over 6 years I put in a small claim they knock it back.

Do not take out insurance with woolworths, they will deceive and steal from you like they did to me!!!

Pet Type(s) InsuredCat and Dog
Nicholas H.

Too late. I've just cancelled both policies as of a few days ago. Your policy doesn't provide cover for the most basic items, what's the point. Thanks for taking thousands from my family over the years and giving absolutely nothing in return.

Melea

MeleaSydney, NSW

Avoid

Pet Type(s) InsuredCat
jacpat

jacpatSouth East Queensland, QLD

Massive improvement

I have been a Woolworths pet insurance customer for about ten years and openly admit to being very critical about their service in the early days However i have nothing but praise for them in the dealings I have had with my pet who has to have radiotherapy treatment for cancer at a time when financial security is a worry. They have been prompt in turning round my weekly bills and open and transparent in what they are paying for. Its been such a relief not to have to worry about my pets health too much when everyone around is locking themselves away for fear of the virus.

Claim DateMarch 2018
Disgusted

DisgustedVictoria

Terrible insurance stay away

No help at all every call made told to do online gladly took my money for four yeas then let you know when you claim they wanted my dogs vet history even though he was never sick and couldn’t pay claim without it gave up and canceled my insurance they win again

Claim DateFebruary 2020

Carolyn

CarolynSouth East Queensland, QLD

Outrageous 25% yearly premium increases

I thought Woolworth's Pet Insurance was pretty good. However, with premium rises of 25% it is ridiculous. They have increased my premium by nearly $400 this year - for one dog - and they want over $1800 for one years insurance. I was a fan and recommended them to others - but definitely am not any longer and would suggest you look elsewhere. They know that changing pet insurance is next to impossible so they know they have you sucked in. I used Pet Plan with my previous two Labradors and never had price increases like this - I would recommend checking out Pet Plan rather than Woolworths Pet Insurance.

Maria

MariaSouth East Queensland, QLD

Expensive Renewals and trying to cancel is a nightmare.

Peter MGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Exorbitant Renewal Increase.

Have been with Woolworths Pet Insurance for nearly 9 years and had two dogs insured. I have complained repeatedly about their sizeable increases. Because one of my dogs had a cruciate ligament operation, I can't now go with out. I have stopped insuring my other dog and just put the money aside for emergencies. They say the increases are because I have made a claim through the year. Received latest renewal with an increase of almost 20% and haven't made a claim in two years. How can they justify this extended rip off of customers. Is it because they under paid their staff by millions and have found a way to subsidise their failings.

Dave B

Dave BSydney Surrounds, NSW

Pathetic

I have been waiting on the phone for over 30 minutes just to speak to someone regarding our policy, will be cancelling. Customer service is zero which is typical of Woolworths.

Mags

MagsPerth, WA

Frustrating

I have been with Woolworth pet insurance for 7 years, over the years its been hard work, claims taking too long, not covering the things that are wrong with my dog, Lucy is 9 years old , she has skin issues which they won't cover and has chronic ear disease which they do cover. So had Lucy at vets and had bloods taken etc, some was for her skin but the majority was for her ears, the claim has been in for over 2 weeks and now im being told that it is going to take another 2-3 weeks as they are querying the bill. Im so frustrated and angry, Lucy is covered for a reason and now it makes me wonder why bother.

Claim DateFebruary 2020