World Nomads

World Nomads (page 2 of 13)

Poor

Claim form online extremely hard and annoying to fill up. Emergency number not working. I was on a car accident and found out they are not covering anything. Not even sunglasses for some funny reason? The first and the last time.

Avoid at all costs

Pulling teeth is easier than making a claim with this company. From a terrible website that sends you through numerous dead ends when attempting to make a claim to a communications department that will make every attempt to ignore you and your claim. I have been absolutely disgusted by the behaviour of World Nomads and will never insure through them again.

Lying, cheating claims department

After my rental car was broken into during the day in France I did everything right. Reported it to Police, contacted the insurer and submitted my claim when I got home.

I was required to pay for a translator to translate the police report into English otherwise they wouldn't accept the claim.

After several weeks I was informed that I couldn't claim the loss of my passports or high value items as they do not cover for those items stolen from cars. They gave me a measly few hundred dollars for the clothes that were stolen and wouldn't pay the rest of the claim.

When I pointed out the Policy refers to 'non-daylight hours' they said there was another clause excluding high value items and passports at ANY TIME.

The Policy document is 68 pages long and the clause they rely on is two lines long. The policy effectively covers nothing and is inconsistent with itself.

What is the point of insurance when you do everything right, pay huge fees and ask for help in an emergency?
You get nothing.

Do not insure yourselves with this company

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Ben, While the policy document is 68 pages long, all of the baggage cover in the Australian policy is listed across 6 pages. These pages also include including tables. The reason why the tables are there is to try and make the cover as clear as we can. When it comes to high value items and travel documents, there are a few reasons why we have an exclusion around these items and cars. However, the main one is because cars are easy to break into, and those items are usually the prime target for thieves. If you want me to look into anything about your claim to ensure that it's in line with the policy, please email me at help@worldnomads.com. All the best, Matt Customer Experience Specialist World Nomads.

NEVER AGAIN! Not worth the money.

I would not recommend this travel insurance for ANYONE. I understand they have policies and have to detail everything but I have been working on my claim for 6 MONTHS! I had missed flights, medical reports, and accommodation totaling to about $1200. They only gave me $220 of that back. It has taken them the 6 months to finally send me a detailed letter explaining why they can and cannot cover me for certain things. I completely understand why they can't cover certain aspects of my claim but for it to take 6 months, multiple emails, constant scanning of documents, and just a down right awful communication process is ridiculous. On top of everything, their claim form SUCKS! Half the information I added in didn't show up which is why I had to file the claim for the second time, and it is not well explained on the website or when I received my printed document of my filed claim. For me to pay $500 for this insurance and only get a small amount back really blows. Before I had insurance through this company I had paid $30 for basic travel insurance through a small company and they helped 10X more than this one. I also got EVERYTHING I claimed back.

Not worth the money.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Jessie, We've replied to your other review. All the best, Matt Customer Experience Specialist World Nomads.

Absolutely atrocious customer service

After dislocating and breaking my shoulder and damaging my rotator cuff in Australia, I began to submit a claim status for my injuries. The customer service was absolutely horrible - the after hours help line for their American subsidiary/partner, TripMate, was useless. They couldn't provide any information or help. Their emergency line hung up on me when I asked who I could contact regarding questions about the claims forum as well. Rude & incompetent staff, not to mention that their online claim process isn't even online. They require you to print out numerous forms, assume international call costs, and provide non existent customer service during hours reasonable for someone living in Australia. It's like they've designed it to deter people from having the patience to actually submit a claim. It's pretty crappy having to wake up at ungodly hours with serious injuries just to get hung up on by some rude woman who doesn't feel like doing her job.

Would not ever recommend this company again. Unprofessional, poorly organized, and overly complicated claims process.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Spencer, I'm sorry to hear that you broke your shoulder in Australia. We take your feedback very seriously. The last thing we want for our travelers is a bad customer service experience, especially when it comes to claiming. Can you please send me your policy details to help@worlnomads.com, so that I can speak to Trip Mate management? All the best, Matt Customer Experience Specialist World Nomads.Update: 6 weeks later, I haven't seen a dime. 10k+ in impending bills for surgery, ambulance, hospital, physio, etc. World Nomads subsidiary, Trip Mates is quite literally a hive of villainy, and I don't use that phrase lightly. Half of the time I call I get put on hold for 20 minutes until it automatically disconnects me, while the other half I'm hung up on. Their claims process is equally inefficient and horrendous. It took me 5 weeks for a person to even reply to my claims, despite World Nomads claiming to address them in 10. Trip Mates said it takes 30 days maximum - so both companies failed in their ability to adequately respond. In addition, upon finally receiving a response from Trip Mate, I was told that they cannot "verify my residency", despite the fact that I'm a US citizen (excuse me?). Apparently their logic is that because I received an Australian work visa in Canada (Australia being where I am now, and where I was injured) that I'm therefor "maybe not a US resident". Please, explain how that's possible - my tax return and all official documents disagree. Another equally absurd and shameless action - upon asking for my itinerary to Australia (one month before I even purchased World Nomads insurance), they managed to find a $4.80 surcharge for flight cancellation protection a month before my policy was purchased. They're actually having me "prove" that this one day, expired, completely irrelevant insurance policy doesn't cover my present medical expenses (hint, the only insurance that would cover me is the insurance you were supposed to provide). Basically, I'm apparently not a US resident despite my passport sitting here in front of me, and despite my bank statement and driver's license. It's absolutely disgusting for humans to treat each other like this. I will, like many others in these comments, most likely resort to legal action. Meanwhile, I'll sit here thousands of dollars in debt unable to work, telling every single person I know how disgraceful and unethical this is. Having your entire 1 year abroad in Australia go down the drain because your travel insurance refuses to pay up, thus leaving you injured, broke and in debt, and essentially stranded, is a rough situation. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. And guess what? World Nomads and Trip Mates will lose money. When you've worked at 5 hostels, have a big social outreach, and have been to 50+ countries, travel insurance comes up in conversation A LOT. Hopefully I can prevent enough money from reaching this company just by telling people not to purchase it, and then I can in some small regard do something to protest this situation and right a wrong.

Phone got stolen and they say it's not covered

I used this company for over a year and only made a few medical claims, but a week before my trip ended, my bag which had my phone, credit card, and other ID in it was stolen on the beach in Barcelona. I was in the water but my friends were on the beach watching over our stuff and it was still stolen - they say they can't pay my claim because it wasn't being supervised, but it clearly was. Am I supposed to bring my belongings with me into the water every time I go to the beach or a pool? They keep telling me that it wasn't supervised, when I've made it very clear that it was. I made a police report in Barcelona and have all the receipts and documents showing what was stolen. This is ridiculous, people get travel insurance for situations like just this. I won't be using this company again if they can't even protect my belongings when they get stolen. My laptop also got damaged because someone spilt water on it and they won't do anything about that because "mechanical malfunctions" aren't covered, even though it isn't just a random malfunction but a result of damage. I'm so exhausted trying to talk to this company and explain my situation as I always get the same response back and no help at all.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi PaigeH, Thanks for getting in touch. Can you please send your policy number and details to help@worldnomads.com, and I'll look further into your claim to see what options you have. All the best, Matt Customer Experience Specialist World Nomads.

I won't use them again

Don't choose world nomads. They would not even refund me the remainder of my travel insurance when part way through a working holiday my travel companion/girlfriend had a family emergency. It was her immediate family and she was very upset. Most companies will refund a remainder of insurance if you cancel trip part way through for emergency. Insurance should help you in these unfortunate situations and usually does. But when I submitted a claim they gave me no money, not even refund for remainder of policy. My girlfriend's company had refund policy no questions asked. Please choose another company.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Andrew, We've replied to your other two reviews. All the best, Matt Customer Experience Specialist World Nomads.

Helpful and supportive all the way through the claim

I needed to fly home for surgery and Global Nomads system for helping out was efficient and supportive. They were prompt in their emails, and got on the phone when needed.
They didn't hesitate to pay for flights and got me home as quickly as possible.
Thoroughly recommended.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi JohnB, Thanks for such a great review. It's great to hear that the team were able to help you out when you needed it most. I hope you've well and truly recovered from your injuries. All the best, Matt Customer Experience Specialist World Nomads.Thanks Matt, all recovered and back on the field in Africa with Mercy Ships.

Exasperating and futile attempts to communicate when making a claim.

I developed high altitude sickness at a course given at 12,000 feet in Ladakh, India and needed to fly immediately to a lower elevation to recover. In Delhi I made my claim because I could not return to the 10 day course I paid for and had only been there 2 days. The TripMate website that WorldNomads uses for claims quickly demonstrated that there was no intention to sincerely communicate with me. Questions and answers from the TripMate 'agents' did not demonstrate any knowledge of my case; they were generic questions that were asked over and over again. I answered over and over again but never felt that any individual was actually helping me or that any effort was made to read the information packet I sent them which contained all of the requested receipts and letters to back up my claim. NEVER did anyone call me; NEVER was I able to contact an agent in person though I spent hours on a phone line trying to contact a person. TripMate handles claims only using email; very controlled without direct contact with a person. The agents names-first name only- change with every question posted.

My husband was fully reimbursed as my traveling partner within 2 weeks of making his claim using a different trip insurance company. I would never recommend this company and am writing this review to steer others away from making the mistake I did. ABSOLUTELY NO to TripMate/World Nomads.

USD$15,000 all covered.

I can't believe the reviews here of people having such trouble with World Nomads and claiming from them. To the point that I have been prompted to do something I don't normally do - review them!
My husband and I backpacked around Sri Lanka, Mexico, Cuba and several South American countries over 9 months over 2015 and 2016.
My husband fell off a road bike in Peru and shattered his shoulder, requiring a shoulder reconstruction (we realise now, that maybe the full reco was not actually required, but that's another story, nothing to do with World Nomads). From teh minute we called them, all was taken care of. They spoke with the hospital and arranged payment. We wold not have even known how much was covered, if not for asking.
To top it all off, turns out he needed another two sugeries to remove his new metalwork once we got to Santiago. With the two weeks between surgeries, we were even permitted to continue our travel plans South and World Nomads flew us (BOTH) back to Santiago for the second surgery.

Oh. And when we got home, we also were able to claim water damage to our camera after my accident-prone husband accidentally dropped it in the ocean!

Read and understand your policy, the paperwork that is required and you will have no problems.
We don't go with anyone else anymore.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi PTS, Thanks for such a great review and for your sharing your story. I'm sorry to read that your husband feel of a road bike in Peru and shattered his shoulder! I can't imagine the pain. I'll pass your feedback to all of the teams involved. I know they'll appreciate it. Thanks for saying 'Read and understand your policy, the paperwork that is required and you will have no problems'. It is something we really try and enforce. It's so great to hear our travellers so aware of that! Thanks again, Matt Customer Experience Specialist World Nomads.

Extremely difficult to make a claim

I had to make a claim as I fell sick in Lombok, Indonesia. I was advised by the doctor there to return to Singapore for further treatment. It was like blood from a stone first of all getting World Nomads to accept the claims for treatment both in Lombok and Singapore, and they then took an extremely long time - requiring persistent chasing up - to get my claim finalised.

I was challenged by World Nomads when I presented them with my doctors written medical report, and they said they did not agree with his conclusion for me to terminate my vacation early. Like they could judge my condition via a phone call better than the doctor I had been to see in Indonesia. I was shocked that they would challenge the doctors written advice.

Eventually I did get my claim processed, but when they had deducted the excess I may as well have paid it myself in entirety for all the trouble I had been through with phone calls, emails and chasing up the processing of my claim. However if you are applying for travel insurance after having already left your home country as I was, you have limited options. I would not have used them otherwise.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Greg, Thanks for reaching out and letting me know. I'm sorry to read that you fell sick in Indonesia. Can you please send your policy number to help@worldnomads.com so that I can look into what happened? I'd like to review your case and identify any opportunities for training. All the best, Matt Customer Experience Specialist World Nomads.

Not there when they are needed

Similar to the many other bad reviews, I had a bad experience with WN. Fell ill during my travels in Canada and after collecting all the information they needed from the doctors, including the doctor's diagnosis, the complete showstopper was them not being able to confirm my claim had similar history or previous diagnosis in Australia. When questioned whether this was fair, to have the complete claim process for 3 months over this, they stated this is procedure, which is reasonable, but not fair. My claim was for $600. I've been waiting to hear their response for my asthma claim for over 5 weeks, but my hopes are not up. Wouldn't recommend WN to my friends and family. Pricing may be competitive, but why waste all your money to save some if their level of service is severely lacking?

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Mario, Thank for reaching out and letting me know. It is standard procedure for the team to check up on pre-existing medical conditions. Often the hold up can be getting info from doctors. The teams themselves work to strict turnaround times if they've got all of the information they need. Please send me your policy number to help@worldnomads.com and reference this review, so that I can follow up with the team. All the best, Matt Customer Experience Specialist World Nomads.

Scam! They won't even acknowledge our claim

To whom it may concern,

It's been over 3 weeks since we filed our claim and no one has been in touch with us. We called trip mate USA and they gave us a fake email when we asked where to send our additional information. I have purchased this insurance more than once and recommended it to so many friends, yet this is the first time I actually need it and it seems like a huge scam.
Acknowledge your customers!! We will be posting this message as a review of your deserving one star, also will recommend everyone who is still on the roads to call their CC and cancel their insurance because it's non existent.

Here are pictures of documents you required a NOMAD to have while traveling in the middle of nowhere. RIDICULOUS!

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Fiona, I've responded to your other review and will continue to email you. All the best, Matt Customer Experience Specialist World Nomads.

They are a scam company -they owe me around $6000 and haven't paid in four months

I took their coverage for medical and emergency evacuation. I am a US citizen. I have submitted the reimbursement receipts and proof of travel. They will keep deflecting and not paying you. They are interested in your money, not in actually being there when you need them, what they CLAIM they are there for. It's a scam company. Do NOT take insurance from them. They are AWFUL and unethical. In the US they'd have a class action lawsuit against them, and I will now explore that option.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Vasu, Thanks for reaching out. I'm sorry to hear that you feel as though the claims team are deflecting you. They work to strict turnaround times, and if all required documentation has been submitted, they have to adhere to these times. Please get in touch with me at help@worldnomads.com, and I'll follow up with the team. All the best, Matt Customer Experience Specialist World Nomads.

Quick and easy claims process

I had to make a claim for my medical expenses because my toddler fell ill in Thailand. The online claims system was straight forward and the money hit my account within few days. Would highly recommend to families traveling with kids.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Carol, I'm sorry to read that your toddler fell ill in Thailand. As a parent, I know that there's nothing worse than a sick child overseas. It's great to read that you found the claim systems straight forward and that you were able to be reimbursed for your expenses. Thanks very much for the recommendation. We do love our travelling families. All the best, Matt Customer Experience Specialist World Nomads.

Emergency Assistance when you need it

After falling ill in Bali, my wife contacted the Emergency Assistance team in Sydney, who were very professional and friendly. They told us to go to BIMC in Nusa Dua. I was diagnosed with dengue and received the care and treatment i needed. The team also helped rearrange my flights home.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hey Scott, I'm sorry to read that you fell ill in the Island of the Gods. Unfortunately it's quite common for travellers to contract dengue from those pesky mosquitoes in Bali. It's great that the team were able to help you and get you to the care and treatment you needed. I hope you've fully recovered. All the best, Matt Customer Experience Specialist World Nomads.

Warning! The worst travel insurance company by far

I live in Cambodia and i specifically asked if i am covered to ride motorbikes. I received a generic email response which is designed to confuse and overwhelm everyday people that are just looking for a straight forward response. I was involved in an accident where i wasn't at fault and as a result they decided not to cover me as i didn't hold a valid Cambodian Licence. After locating the very very fine print, they can even refuse you coverage if you're on a Tuk Tuk or a public bus if the driver doesn't have a licence (Almost all police and citizens don't have or even know they should have one) After saying i would like to cancel the remaining months on my policy and salvage some money from this ridiculous company they told me i can not be refunded on it as i have now made a claim and i have also travelled on it even though they boast its suitable for expat's already abroad. My medical expenses are now in the thousands, and i will now make it my mission to warn other people of the dangers of trusting this company.

July 27th 2017 Update: Do not step foot on a bus or Tuk Tuk or ride a scooter in SE Asia under there cover

You are not covered If you are a passenger in a Tuk Tuk public bus or if you ride your own Scooter. Please refer to my review on the 24th of July for more Info.
They are more than happy to spend time in the product review with unhappy consumers but if you ask them direct questions about important policy information at the start than they will just bury you in about 3 different links that are overwhelming and unclear and yet they are happy to have their staff belittle you on here. What a shame they don't invest more time in making their customers satisfied from the beginning rather than abandoning customers when they need them the most. If they really cared about their customers they would make sure your initial questions are answered correctly.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Hannah, I'm sorry to read that you were involved in an accident. We do require our Nomads to be licensed correctly in both their home country as well as in the country that they're travelling/living/working in. The reason is because we want to discourage people from putting themselves at needless risk. We also don't want them to break the law. I hope you're recovering well. All the best, Matt Customer Experience Specialist World Nomads.Wow yet another robotic inhumane response. Thanks again World Nomad. Thanks again for your heartfelt well wishes. I have had my bike licence for 15 years which is literally twice the age of the school kids riding over there. If World Nomad truly cared about their customers they would simply choose not to insure anyone in that country if that was the case. Instead they would rather receive emails asking direct questions and then evade answers by throwing confusion at regular consumers like myself who isn't trained in the art of catching out deceitful companies like world Nomad. My issue is now warning people of the dangers of even setting foot in a Tuk Tuk or public bus or Taxi or any other mode of transport. As they stipulate in their minuscule fine print that no one is safe in their cover! Without my private insurance cover the doctors estimate a year minimum for my recovery as the public system won't rush to surgery. So now I have nothing but time to warn all the unsuspecting travellers who believe they are safe with their policies. Next stop, consumer affairs.Hi Hannah, I'm sorry if you feel that you're not getting the answer you want. We try to make our coverage as clear as we can, both in the policy and in our helpdesk section. I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'they stipulate in their minuscule fine print that no one is safe in their cover'. We understand that policies can be difficult for people to read, so we wrote the Australian policy (as well as others) so that there is no fine print - all the text is the same size. If you wish to take the claim further, please get in touch with the team that you've been dealing with, and they can help you with that. All the best, Matt Customer Experience Specialist World Nomads

Typical insurance company

They tell you they'll be back to you in a week, they get back to you in 3. I found not only were they slow, but quick to do anything they can to not help you. Can't say I'm surprised, they're an insurance company. They exist off of your fear of the unknown and do everything in their power to do the opposite of what you are told.

Terrible!!!

Wasted 300€ on this insurance.
They won't pay you for anything.
My GoPro camera got stolen from my bag that i was carrying in the Philippines and our car got robbed in Israel so I lost my iphone&headphones. I had receipts for my devices but still no money back from this terrible insurance. They won't reimburse you for anything!!
Not recommended!!!

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Kiki, I'm sorry to read that your GoPro camera got stolen and your car got robbed in Israel. All of our policies provide coverage for theft, however it does depend on the circumstances. If you believe the outcome isn't in-line with the policy, please email me at help@worldnomads.com and I'll get the team to look into it for you. All the best, Matt Customer Experience Specialist World Nomads.

Worst Travel Insurance. They'll take your money and not reimburse you for anything!

I purchased this travel insurance because honestly it was one of the first links that popped up on Google. I was traveling to Indonesia. I purchased this mid-trip. A day after I purchased the insurance, I was in an accident that required a trip to the ER. I had to have stitches and some dental work done. The whole thing came to couple hundred USD, so I paid out of pocket. When I got back home, I submitted ALL of my documents, thinking that it'd be a simple process. I had a medical claim that fell under their policy, so they should cover it, right?

It's been more than a month since I filed my claim. They send me pointless messages, informing me that they are reviewing the case. They've asked for document after document (i.e. they even wanted me to submit this international medical bill to my insurance. Why the hell would I buy travel insurance if my home insurance covered overseas expenses?)

It's as if they are finding excuse after excuse to delay the process. I've had enough with this nonsense. I'm going to ask that my credit card company reverse the charges because it's obvious Travel Nomads are scammers that'll take your money but not reimburse you for valid claims.

I regret not reading these reviews before making my purchase.

Avoid at all costs!

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Jenn, Thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry to hear your claim hasn't been as fast as you were expecting. Please send your policy number to help@worldnomads.com and I'll follow it up for you. All the best, Matt Customer Experience Specialist World Nomads.Hi Matt, While I appreciate the follow up, I noticed that you've written this in response to all the negative reviews here. Are you actually going to be able to speed up the review process and do something about it or is this all a PR stunt that your company is making you do in order to mitigate the negative reviews. Actions speak louder than words. I sent you my policy number. I'm going to update this section so others know how long it takes you guys and whether you will follow through on your responseHi Jenn, We're not in the business of PR stunts. The response is written as I do what I can to help our travelers if there is something out of line with the policy they purchased, or the turnaround time is not what it should be. You're welcome to keep updating this section as your claim progresses. All the best, Matt Customer Experience Specialist World Nomads.