World Nomads

Helpful and supportive all the way through the claim

I needed to fly home for surgery and Global Nomads system for helping out was efficient and supportive. They were prompt in their emails, and got on the phone when needed.
They didn't hesitate to pay for flights and got me home as quickly as possible.
Thoroughly recommended.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi JohnB, Thanks for such a great review. It's great to hear that the team were able to help you out when you needed it most. I hope you've well and truly recovered from your injuries. All the best, Matt Customer Experience Specialist World Nomads.Thanks Matt, all recovered and back on the field in Africa with Mercy Ships.

USD$15,000 all covered.

I can't believe the reviews here of people having such trouble with World Nomads and claiming from them. To the point that I have been prompted to do something I don't normally do - review them!
My husband and I backpacked around Sri Lanka, Mexico, Cuba and several South American countries over 9 months over 2015 and 2016.
My husband fell off a road bike in Peru and shattered his shoulder, requiring a shoulder reconstruction (we realise now, that maybe the full reco was not actually required, but that's another story, nothing to do with World Nomads). From teh minute we called them, all was taken care of. They spoke with the hospital and arranged payment. We wold not have even known how much was covered, if not for asking.
To top it all off, turns out he needed another two sugeries to remove his new metalwork once we got to Santiago. With the two weeks between surgeries, we were even permitted to continue our travel plans South and World Nomads flew us (BOTH) back to Santiago for the second surgery.

Oh. And when we got home, we also were able to claim water damage to our camera after my accident-prone husband accidentally dropped it in the ocean!

Read and understand your policy, the paperwork that is required and you will have no problems.
We don't go with anyone else anymore.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi PTS, Thanks for such a great review and for your sharing your story. I'm sorry to read that your husband feel of a road bike in Peru and shattered his shoulder! I can't imagine the pain. I'll pass your feedback to all of the teams involved. I know they'll appreciate it. Thanks for saying 'Read and understand your policy, the paperwork that is required and you will have no problems'. It is something we really try and enforce. It's so great to hear our travellers so aware of that! Thanks again, Matt Customer Experience Specialist World Nomads.

Quick and easy claims process

I had to make a claim for my medical expenses because my toddler fell ill in Thailand. The online claims system was straight forward and the money hit my account within few days. Would highly recommend to families traveling with kids.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Carol, I'm sorry to read that your toddler fell ill in Thailand. As a parent, I know that there's nothing worse than a sick child overseas. It's great to read that you found the claim systems straight forward and that you were able to be reimbursed for your expenses. Thanks very much for the recommendation. We do love our travelling families. All the best, Matt Customer Experience Specialist World Nomads.

Emergency Assistance when you need it

After falling ill in Bali, my wife contacted the Emergency Assistance team in Sydney, who were very professional and friendly. They told us to go to BIMC in Nusa Dua. I was diagnosed with dengue and received the care and treatment i needed. The team also helped rearrange my flights home.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hey Scott, I'm sorry to read that you fell ill in the Island of the Gods. Unfortunately it's quite common for travellers to contract dengue from those pesky mosquitoes in Bali. It's great that the team were able to help you and get you to the care and treatment you needed. I hope you've fully recovered. All the best, Matt Customer Experience Specialist World Nomads.

Great service for my trip in Nepal

I bought trekking insurance with World Nomads in Dec 2016 for my trek to Everest Base Camp. I came down with severe mountain sickness on my trip, and WN covered my helicopter rescue and all of my hospital expenses. They made it extremely easy for me and I am just so happy I went with them. If I hadn't gone with them, I would've been forced to pay around $12,000 for heli rescue as there was no possible way I could walk down. Thanks for your help World Nomads!

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi KKA, I'm sorry to hear that you came down with severe mountain sickness on your way to Everest Base Camp. It can certainly knock you for six. Thanks for giving us such a stellar review. It's great to hear that the team were able to assist you and organise a helievac from the mountains. I hope you've fully recovered. All the best, Matt Customer Experience Specialist World Nomads.

An Insurance Company I Trust

I have been living in Australia on a working holiday visa for the past 18 months and purchased WN insurance at the start of my second year.

A few months later I went to emergency and subsequently saw a GP and had tests done. I was extremely concerned about medical costs so I called WN right away to let them know what was happening. Not only did the lady on the other end of the line provide comfort and immediately start my claim but someone called twice over the next week to ask me how I was feeling.

The claim process was straightforward and the claim emails I received were very helpful. I really liked receiving claim updates on the WN website as well. I was refunded for everything within a month.

Thank you for everything World Nomads.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Tammy, Thanks for such a stellar review. I'm sorry to hear that you were sick during the second year of your working holiday - I hope that you're now back to full health. I'll pass your feedback on to our Emergency Assistance team, I know that they'll really appreciate it. Thanks again, Tammy. We look forward to travelling with you again. All the best, Matt Customer Experience Specialist World Nomads.

Very good Insurance

I purchased World Nomads travel insurance for my next holiday in USA. About 20 days before departure, my wife had a medical problem (pregnancy complications) and Doctor said that she was unfit to travel. Then I was forced to cancel my trip. I immediately informed World Nomads sending them all the necessary documentation. They reimbursed me in a couple of weeks . Claim procedure was very easy and clear. In my opinion World Nomads is a very serious company.
Emilio

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi E_milio, I'm so sorry to hear that your wife had pregnancy complications and that she was unfit to travel. I can't imagine the stress that both of you were under - I hope that everything is now fine. Thanks for leaving such an outstanding review and for taking the time to share your story with the travelling community. If we can be of any further assistance, please get in touch with the team. All the best, Matt Customer Experience Specialist World Nomads.

Fantastic Insurance - Wouldn't be Without It - famous last words!

I my last review I wrote how fantastic World Nomads are, and I stand by every word I wrote. Except the title...

Let me explain. I travelled to the Philippines, and as it was just a short trip, I didn't bother with getting the travel insurance I so publicly delcared 'I wouldn't be without'. Famous last words!

I saw a little puppy lying injured on the street outside the house where I was staying. The poor thing couldn't stand properly, and couldn't walk. It was probably about six weeks old, and in danger of becoming pancake shaped... The pup wasn't injured, it was so covered in ticks that it was probably anaemic and quite likely had tick fever.So I gently picked it up to move it to the sidewalk. From nowhere its mother came and savaged my leg through my track-suit pants. My leg was pretty badly torn in three places. I've been vaccinated against rabies, but still had to go to the hospital twice for booster shots. The cost was almost as much as one month's travel insurance. And, of course, with travel insurance I would have airfare protection, baggage coverage and much more.

With my past experiences with World Nomads (two claims over 8 years) I can't recommend them highly enough. If you're thinking, "Oh, it's only a short trip, I won't bother", think about what happened to me when I didn't bother. And I can tell you, when it comes to World Nomad's travel insurance, in future, I WON'T travel without it!

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Russell, I'm sorry to hear that you were bitten on the leg by a dog in the Philippines, particularly as you were trying to help such as young pup. I hope that you've recovered fully from the bite wound and that you're out travelling again. Thanks for your review and your ongoing loyalty to World Nomads, we really appreciate it. All the best, Matt Customer Experience Specialist World Nomads.

I have just been reimbursed for items that were stolen from me on a recent trip to Spain. I found the claims process straightforward and it was approved within a week. Very impressed

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Amanda, Thanks very much for taking the time to leave such a great review. I'm sorry to hear that some of your items were stolen in Spain. However, I hope that the rest of your time there was enjoyable. I'll pass your feedback on to the claims team for you. I'm sure they'll be glad to hear it. All the Best, Matt Customer Experience Specialist World Nomads.

Severely broken wrist in USA, medical costs: $35,000USD+

I severely broke my wrist in the USA after an accident. Rushed to hospital. Had x-rays, and after excruciating pain had extensive emergency surgery. It was a very stressful ordeal. Especially the financial aspect. I was grilled about my insurance because travel insurance is a foreign concept in the USA. In total it cost more than $35,000USD worth in medical costs. All taken care of by world nomads. It was tough, but they helped guide me along the way and kept in prompt contact by email due to the time zone difference and calls being often impractical. Thank you very much for being there when I needed! I would definitely use world nomads again and would recommend to my friends and family.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Sam, Thanks for leaving such a kind review. I'm sorry to hear that you were rushed to hospital on your trip and needed emergency surgery. I'll pass your feedback on to our emergency assistance team - they're pretty great and we're very proud of them. I hope that you're feeling a lot better, and we look forward to covering your family and friends. Thanks again, Matt Customer Experience Specialist World Nomads.

Great cover and easy to deal with!

World Nomads were great. I was travelling from Germany via London and on to South East Asia mainly in Thailand and Vietnam. I purchased the comprehensive cover which included all these destinations. Had a great time in Thailand but became ill just before flying out to Vietnam. Once we arrived I checked into medical centre and found out I had dengue fever. My girlfriend got straight onto the phone with world nomads and they were very easy to deal with and made regular phone calls to check on my status. We did have to pay a deposit before being admitted but world nomads reimbursed this fee so I was completely covered after paying Te excess fee in my cover plan. They even rang after my discharge to finalise the claim and let me carry on my holiday. Over all great cover and easy people to deal with. Thanks Wolrd Nomads!

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Chris, Thanks so much for the wonderful review! I'm glad to hear our team were able to help when things went wrong on your trip. Hopefully you managed to enjoy the rest of your time overseas and recovered well from the fever. Thanks again, Pearse World Nomads

My medical expenses claim was easy and fast

I needed to submit a medical claim for all 5 members of my family, worth about AUD$3000. The expenses were from an illness that struck us all at different overlapping times over a 9 week period in the USA. I called WN to get a case number initially, plus phoned each time we needed to visit another Dr, then submitted all my documents, bills, receipts and medical notes on my return to Australia 2 months later through the online claim page. My claim was paid into my bank in about a week. I did not need to make any claims for the more 'grey' areas of travel insurance (theft, damage, luggage loss, etc.) but for my medical claim they sure were outstanding.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi! Thanks so much for the lovely review. Pity that your trip was interrupted so much by the same illness, but it's good to hear that your claim was successful and that you continued on with the holiday. It's always a good idea to contact us if something happens while travelling and it sounds like you were on the ball in this case. Knowing what supporting documents you need for each expense ensures the claims process is as pain free as possible, which can definitely affect the time it takes to be reimbursed. I hope you all still managed to enjoy the trip despite the interruptions, thanks again for taking the time to review us, we really appreciate it! All the best, Pearse - World Nomads

Easier than I expected!

I had to make a claim a week before my friend and I were going to Peru and the US because I was diagnosed with cancer, the week before Christmas too! So I was expecting absolutely no responses or money back. But with medical notes from my surgeon, I was able to get 99% of my money back (the only things they didn't cover were vaccinations and police checks, which I still could use on my next trip, so no stresses there) by the end of January. The staff were easy to talk to and super easy to deal with! Definitely recommend for trips to the Americas :)

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Rach Thanks for taking the time to post a review and hopefully you are well on the way to recovery. We're so pleased to hear that the World Nomads team were so easy to deal with and didn't cause any additional stress at such a harrowing time. It's also great to hear that you're planning another trip so we hope you have an amazing and safe time when you do head off again in the near future. All the best Kellie - Customer Experience Specialist

Peace of mind on the road.....

Nomad cover gives you peace of mind - we had to have the World-wide cover for travel in the US, Greenland etc - expensive, but worthwhile....I had two dental emergencies and damage to a tablet, all of which were covered by the policy. Excellent communications from Nomads when making a claim and very prompt payments - everything you want when facing problems while traveling overseas.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Kiwi Bob Thanks so much for posting a great review and we hope your dental problems are now all sorted. It's great to hear you had a positive claims experience. We wish you all the best with any future travels. Kellie - Customer Experience Specialist

Wow - WN really came through!

I won't lie - this was my first time purchasing travel insurance, and I was completely skeptical. I'm writing this review for folks like me who, a year ago, was so nervous to drop $500 for a 3-month trip around South America. How could I be sure that if anything happened, the insurance company wouldn't find a sleezy way to back out of helping me? I spent a few hours researching all of the travel insurance options I could find, and World Nomads seemed to be the clear choice -- however, it didn't have a perfect reputation, nor did any of the other options...a few had complained about jumping through hoops to get claims.

SO GLAD I took the leap and bought travel insurance through World Nomads. I spent about $500 for 3-months of health coverage. Sure enough, 2 months into my trip I started to feel some really scary symptoms: tingling throughout my body, numbness in my arm. Uber paranoid it was a virus, I had no other choice but to navigate through a Spanish-speaking hospital in Buenos Aires and drop $2,000 out of pocket on tests to rule out anything serious.

I was sure that World Nomads -- being an insurance company -- would find a loophole and not reimburse anything. Boy, was I wrong. Granted, I meticulously documented the incident, submitted ALL of the relevant paperwork they asked for. To address the folks who have mentioned jumping through hoops...if you need to submit a claim, be prepared to submit all of your receipts, your medical diagnosis (this was vague to me, so sent in all of my test results, even though they were in Spanish), as well as all of your flight itineraries--multiple if your travel isn't a simple roundtrip flight. All of this seemed fair to me - though of course keeping track of this while traveling is a bit of pain.

After finally getting around to submitting all of my paperwork (they give you A YEAR to submit a claim, which is helpful for procrastinators like me) they promptly sent me a check reimbursing every penny of this within about 2 weeks. They were incredibly responsive throughout the entire process, too.

If you're planning an extended trip, make sure you have health coverage. If you're evaluating your options, I strongly endorse World Nomads. :)

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Amanda Wow - a huge thank you for this awesome review that would have taken some time to post. It is so appreciated and we are so pleased that we were able to help you and we hope you made a speedy recovery from this mystery illness. You're right in that you'll always read good and bad reviews for most travel insurance companies. It isn't possible to satisfy everyone all of the time unfortunately whether it be because a certain situation is simply not covered (as backed by the policy wording) or reasonable supporting documentation can not be supplied that heavily influences a claim decision. Anyway, we're chuffed you took the leap of faith with World Nomads and our amazing team were available to you when you needed them most.You have done the right thing is keeping all your documentation and it made the process an easy one when you came to submit your claim. Thanks to you also for making it so easy for our claims team to do their job. All the best and thank you again. Kellie - Customer Experience Specialist World Nomads

Truely professional!

I would like to totally recommend World Nomads. Their knowledgable staff accepted over the phone that a pre-existing medical condition had deteriorated, showed heaps of empathy and willingness to understand my new situation. I felt really heard,trusted and cared for once they accepted my claim. Communication was instant, professional and understanding.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Herbie Thanks so much for posting this review and we're so pleased that our amazing team were there when you needed them. Thanks also for being a loyal World Nomad and we hope you have many more adventures. Best wishes and safe travels in the future Kellie - Customer Experience Specialist

Best online insurance for visting developing countries

I have been using World Nomads for all my travels based on recommendation from Lonely Planet & National Geographic for the last 7 years. I have never had to make a claim but seriously that is what we all aspire to when travelling in developing countries , to not need hospitalisation. As for my $ 8000 necklace - don't take it in the first place (should you own one) - there is additional cover available. Many of my 50+aged adventure travelling friends swear by this company and when you see what the likes of RACQ , Westpac, NRMA charge for the same cover ...to sum it up FFS , they are good to deal with and very well priced.Some of the reviews on here are a bit unreasonable , I can only hope that should I ever need assistance while travelling these guys will be there for me..at least till I'm 70 , then you just need to be very healthy, weathly and wise :)

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi Annie Thanks so much for taking the time to post this wonderful review and also to give a few pointers to potential policy holders. And yes, we will be here until your atleast 70 years young so keep travelling safely and get in touch if you ever need help on one of your adventures..we'll be here for you. All the best and thanks again Kellie- Customer Experience Specialist

Robbed in KL

I was a victim of a break and enter while staying at a friend's house in KL - they entered my room while I was asleep and stole $500 cash in local and foreign currencies and my Kindle. I was very shaken up after this and felt violated. I made a query on the Kindle with WN, not expecting to get anywhere due to the Kindle's value (which was less than the excess), and the money lost (which I was not covered for). They advised me to make a claim anyway, which I did. Well, they reimbursed me $341 overall, a respectable amount, and waived the excess too! I've never heard of an insurance company going above and beyond on claims, but this one did! I've been with them before but never had a reason to claim - will definitely stick with them for now on. As a digital nomad I need cover I can trust should the worst happen. Thanks WN.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Susan Thank you so much for posting this positive review. We are so pleased that after such a horrible and scary experience that we could help you out and we hope your travels in the future will be safe and enjoyable. Thanks again Kellie Customer Experience Specialist World Nomads

No worries travel insurance

I always use World Nomads when I travel. Last year I broke my ankle whilst overseas and they were great. Sympathetic and helpful phone assistance, they took care of all alternative travel arrangements, very helpful staff, all went smoothly. No issues with reimbursement of costs. Highly recommended.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Judy. Thanks so much for taking the time to provide this wonderful feedback. It really is appreciated and we do hope your ankle is healed now and you are ready for your next adventure. All the best and thank you. Best wishes Kellie Customer Experience Specialist

I always use Nomads

Clear explanations of what is and is not covered. Cost effective. Well designed website and email reminders when approaching expiration.

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi Russell Thank you so much for taking the time to send us your positive feedback. It's always appreciated and we wish you well on your travels and stay safe. Best wishes Kellie Customer Experience Specialist