SMA

SMA Questions & Answers

11 questions from our users

In 1987 my younger daughter could not tolerate S26 milk and I was advised by a doctor at the manufacturers, Wyeth, to change to SMA because it did not have a certain casein in it. Can you tell me which cows provide SMA milk? Kind regards, Patricia Radenkovic zivadin@bigpond.net.au
Your doctor didn't do their homework as SMA infant and s26 infant are the exact same formula only different tins. Same ingredients.Dear Patricia, Thank you for your query. In order to assist you more effectively and provide a more individualised response, could you please call our Careline on 1800 552 229. The Careline is available on Monday to Friday between 9am to 5pm AEDST. Alternatively, please provide your contact details via email at your earliest convenience. Warmest Regards, Careline Team Aspen Nutritionals Australia Pty Ltd Aspen Nutritionals Australia respects your right to privacy. To view the full privacy policy, please go to https://www.bubbahood.com.au/terms/ and https://www.bubbahood.com.au/privacy/ Aspen Nutritionals are a signatory to the MAIF Agreement (Marketing in Australia of Infant Formulas: Manufacturers and Importers Agreement) which governs the marketing of infant formula for infants up to 12 months and it mandates that we can respond to issues or questions raised, provided the response includes a statement to the effect that breastfeeding is best for babies. Important mandatory statement: Breastfeeding is best for babies https://www.bubbahood.com.au/feeding/benefits-of-breast-milk.Dear Sir/Madam, Well at the time there was definitely a difference in the composition because my daughter went from chronic diarrhoea to the opposite within 24 hours. I understood that the milk was from Jersey cows and at the time was imported from England. Thanks. I shall ring during next week. Thank you.

What is the difference between SMA newborn & infacare both recommended for 0-12mths?
Hi AnneMaree, I’m not 100% sure, ive only ever used SMA. But Idid research it shows the same thing, so maybe they have just changed the name and kept the product the same.Hi AnneMaree, Aspen Nutritionals Australia are in the process of transitioning SMA to a new brand “Infacare”. As part of this transition you would have noticed the introduction of Infacare to our SMA branded can. No formulation changes were made. SMA Infacare remains a source of complete nutrition for babies from birth and suitable for continued use from around 6 months of age when solids are being introduced. If you have any further queries, please call our Careline on 1800 552 229. The Careline is available on Monday to Friday between 9am to 5pm AEDST. Warmest regards, Careline Team Aspen Nutritionals Australia Pty Ltd Aspen Nutritionals are a signatory to the MAIF Agreement (Marketing in Australia of Infant Formulas: Manufacturers and Importers Agreement) which governs the marketing of infant formula for infants up to 12 months and it mandates that we can respond to issues or questions raised, provided the response includes a statement to the effect that breastfeeding is best for babies. Important mandatory statement: Breastfeeding is best for babies https://www.bubbahood.com.au/feeding/benefits-of-breast-milk.

My breast milk didn't come out much after birth. I was advised to go for sma. So I switched over to sma three days after birth. My baby takes it well but the issue I'm having now is that my baby is losing weight. Is there anything I can do to correct the weight loss?
Hi I would tke bub to a child health nurse or gp

I have a very hungry baby 6 weeks old currently on 180ml every 3 hours with S26 GOld newborn. Im thinking of changing him Would sma suit hungry babies?
I would think so :). Remember every baby is different and they know what they need and the guide on the tin is just that, a guide.

Has Sma formula been deleted? I can't find it in my local shops anymore
i have a tin but I don't know what its worth?

My 4 week old is on aptamil gold. 2 hours after being fed he is hungry again. Just seeing if any one has tried SMA as it says on the tin keeps tummies fuller for longer? He is already having 150ml bottles and isn't meant to be having that much. he was born a bigger baby at 8 pound 4 oz. Thanks
Hi there. I tried my baby on SMA and she didn't mind the taste and drank it but I personally didn't like the formula. Formulas are made up of a whey to casien ration. Newborn formulas are more whey dominant which makes them closer to breast milk. SMA has more casien than whey which does keep baby's fuller for longer but it's also harder to digest and that's why it's more sutible for older babies (follow on and stage 2 formulas have more casien because they are for 6 months and older) Your little boy sounds like a tank drinking that much! If he has an iron clad stomach and doesn't get much wind or doesn't seem to get constipated then give it a try. They say it takes 2 weeks for a baby to settle into a new formula. I just didn't like it because it was very frothy and didn't mix in very well and is made in Mexico. It made my little girl constipated but my friends baby is on it and he never had problems on it. You can only give it a go. Good luck.

I bought sma keeps tummies fuller for longer and baby loves it! But when I went to by the next tin I noticed the tin said sma for newborns, but not the same phrase keeps baby fuller for longer? Is it the same product just different tin?
I would also like to know this. My baby has been sleeping through the night since being on the keeps tummies full for longerYes it's the ingredients. It's 60% casein and 40% whey where as other formulas are usually opposite ratios. Casein keeps them fuller for longerI would also like to know the answer to this. The ratios as per new tin are 20% whey 80% casein, is it the same with the 'keeps tummies fuller longer' tin?

Hey! i have a 7 week old baby. just wondering which formula is better... s26, mamia gold, or SMA ? i know that SMA has more casein then whey is that a bad thing for a 7 week old?
I've used the s26 and sma, I found the sma made bub have less reflux, also kept her fuller for longer, other benefits is it's usually around $10 cheaper also!Mine was on a different formula at that age and had really bad re-flux and diarrhea the tin say's from birth so it may have more casein than whey and I think it depends on what works for your baby.

I have been using this formula for my little girl from the time she started using formula but now I can not find it anywhere and she is not sleeping through and the other formulas don't seem to keep her full for very long... I was wondering where I can buy it in nsw?
Woolworths and Big W

If you have an open tin how long do you have to use it
4 weeks.I just checked the tin and it says 4 weeks BUT to be honest I would of used one tin over several months in the earlier months with my second bub as he was breast fed most of the way but had formula every now and then :)If it states not to be opened longer than 4 weeks, I wouldn't risk still using it on anyone to avoid any sickness or harm caused. You're best to throw out any unused powder and buy a new tin in my opinion. I'd rather be safe than sorry, especially after carrying a baby inside for 9 months and the hell you have to go through in giving birth and your body changes etc!

Get an answer from our members and Aspen representatives