Yamaha TT-R230

Yamaha TT-R230

Pros

• Good top speed

• Affordable maintenance costs

Cons

• Rear drum brakes are weak

• Seat uncomfortable for long rides

Display Name

Display NameBrisbane

Great bike for farm work

Date PurchasedDec 2017
    Hunter

HunterLockhart

Reliable bike

I'm 15 and I've had the 230 over 5 months now its an 07 it runs great I'm 5'8 120 pounds so it fits me. I haven't had any problems with it besides normal wear and tear. This is my first bike definitely has power but not too much to scare you. Especially since I like tighter single track sort of enduro type rides this bike is great. Watch the front forks on downhills though they tend to dive. Besides that really tough bike cranks every time I hit the starter.

Date PurchasedJune 2007

Seat was uncomfortable and the drum brake the motor was bullet proof I rode the piss outta it and i

I loved the bike I've had a yz 250 crf 450 both great bikes but the ttr i dont have to worry about my friends when they come over to ride it jerking the slobber out of there mouth im looking at purchasing another ttr 230 just to beat around on in the woods I have a raptor 700r a rzr 900s and I still find myself missing my Lil ttr

Goofy

GoofyFakeville

Getting way too big for the bike at 6' 4'' but it still runs great!

I think in my previous reviews I forget to mention that the bike is a 2007 model. Many would think that a bike of that age would be showing a little bit of wear. Apart from some small suspension issues and longer warm up time, the bike is still running great! i recently opened it up flat stick in 6th gear and it absolutely flew! Defiantly not a toy.

love the bike and never had any problems wit it other than wear parts

i have a ttr230 2011 and i love it, never had any problems other tham wear parts and handles. i fell a lot when i just got it. it was my first bike when i was 14 and it had a lot of power for my age and still does! it is excellent to control and can do some awesome stuff!!

awesome bike

I got this bike new six months ago. I love it, engine has lots of torque and power. Very easy maintenance, engine runs smooth and after gearbox breaks in (4-5 hours drive time) gear changes are really smooth.i do lots of single track riding and its perfect for that. I plan to keep it for a long time.
    tough,powerful, good ground clearance.
    rear drum brake can be weak,seat gets uncomfortable after a day of riding

jayzonk

jayzonkTORONTO

Riding it in snow??

I've had several bikes in my time, and you cannot just take a stock bike and ride it in the snow - you need different treads, or spiked tires. As for sand, it's the same issue - you have to set the bike up for deep sand riding, no matter what type of bike you have. It's unfair to blame the TT-R230 for that. Just get it equipped right, and it will work!!
    I do lots of tight singletrack here, and the bike is incredibly nimble. Just the right combination of power and handling.

awesome trail bike

The ttr230 I an absolutely great bike for trail riding and off-road in general. I've had to do very. Little work if any on it and overall a great starter bike

Awesome trail bike

I recently just purchased a 2015 ttr230 and I absolutly love it. I'm 5'8 and fit this bike perfectly. It's got good power to lift the front wheel in third and make a rut while you're cranking through the gears and a nice note for a trail bike. No complaints about this bike other then the seat's a little uncomfortable and it's cold blooded but other then that, it's a great bike.

Russ

RussSydney

Great first Bike!

After owning 2 ttr230 s the second being a rego version {[ttr230a]. Good points : low seat; bullet proff engine,easy maintance,great in the bush,looks ok ,100ks till you hit reserve, second hand around 3 gs rego cheaper for none rego Not so good points : bit heavy 116kg wet suspenshion can bootom out on big er jumps .
    all in all fully recomend this bike to start out on

Brilliant first bike.

I reckon a ttr230 is an excellent choice as a learner trail rider. Easy to ride and smaller frame and low power. Awesome build quality. This is one tough bike. I've bailed off mine a few times without major problems. Keep in mind this is a learner bike and the idea will be to step up to a more serious dirt bike once you learn some skills. I'd advise upgraded handlebars and bark busters.
    Electric start, Japanese quality, looks reasonable, low seat height.
    No factory headlight, kick start, speedometer of any kind or horn. Front shocks are a bit average.

simply the best for an all rounder

i just bought 1 the other month and i ride allmost every week
    very strong and reliable and affordable
    i love it cuz it can do all i still havent figured out what to do like enduro trails MX SX ect but it might just be me getting of a 110 or the front end is a bit heavy but overall i give it 10/10
    very strong and reliable and cheap
    nothing

Huston209

Huston209Lisbon Falls, Maine

I hate it...

I just got this bike one year ago. I am in the garage more then im out side riding. it is to heave to even corner good. it's terrible in snow and sand. but if it is the price you are looking at that is still wrong because you will have hundreds of dollars to repair it ever time you ride
    Price
    Heavy and reliability

xXSmoogersXx

i think it is a good bike you probably cant ride it properly

paulie.illuitok
    paulie.illuitok

Agree. I'm working on it more then im riding it.. parts are expensive.

Best bike to buy if you like enduro.

Solid Bike

Got it Christmas, had it about a month now and i am very pleased with it. When i first threw my leg around it floored it and i got a shock! This thing can move! Everyone told me how this bike would suck but when they rode it they were very suprised, this thing has taken me through some rough spots and pushed its way out just fine!
    Great Power, ultra reliable, Good speed, very very good bike
    I found it heavy but i can now pick it up very easy and im 13!

The other guy
    The other guy
    xXSmoogersXx

its not about the power its about the rider, my friend has a drz125l and he can beat his dad and his dad rides a drz250

true

bit big for a first?

overall great bike, no maintenence, bulletproof and enough power to keep up with the bigger enduro bikes. people see this bike and scoff at it but they dont know the true potential of it.
    wow. this thing can really fly. has great power and i can whip the back wheel out pretty much wherever i want. corners and handles great in single track, and will handle small jumps pretty well.
    slightly heavy.

Karl K.

Karl K.asked

How much does it cost?

dakotamrsasser

dakotamrsasserasked

I have a 2019 Yamaha ttr230 and after an hour of trail riding the bike cuts out and wont start after an hour or so.(it has been awhile since an oil change) does anyone know how to fix this problem or cool it off faster besides an oil change?

Connorasked

I have a ttr230 2014 model and when i adjust the chain it is fine but when i go for a ride one side pulls and the chain comes out of adjustment how can I fix this?

Stable
    Stable

Get someone who knows about bikes to look at it.
    Could be a heap of things, either simple or complicated.

Righto thanks

Features

The Yamaha TT R230 sports a single cylinder, 4 stroke, air cooled 223CC motor. This is a carbureted motor which means this is a simple and low cost fuel feeding system, helping with a low cost of maintenance.

You also have an electric starter, 29.46cm (11.6 inches) of ground clearance, front disc brakes, and rear drum brakes. Standard tires include MX-Style wheels and tires, which means the TT R230 is ready to head off-road straight from the factory.

And for additional protection, you have rubber tubing protecting the suspension forks and seal, and grippy foot pegs that are designed to keep your boots secure to the bike in slippery conditions.

Points of Praise

• Great dirt bike for farm work
    • Compared to its competitors, it has a better top speed, holds its value due to demand and is light enough to pick up if you fall off it or drop the bike in slippery conditions.
    • A reliable bike, and easy for beginners to ride.
    • Basic servicing is easily carried out by one’s self if you live in a remote area.

Pain Points

• Front light position angle hits too high off the ground, requiring a custom bracket to bring the light position further down to increase ground visibility
    • Rear drum brakes can be weak, which can increase braking distances.
    • Seat can get uncomfortable after a day of riding.
    CategoryTrail Bikes and Learner Approved Bikes