Yamaha V-Star XVS650 Custom

Yamaha V-Star XVS650 Custom Questions & Answers

67 questions from our users

Pablo A.

Pablo A.asked

Can I put Harley Davidson screaming eagle slip-on pipes onto my standard 02 xvs 650 exhaust?

Mark C.

Mark C.asked

I have a 1999 Yamaha xvs 650a euro spec and would a later engine with AIS fitted work ok, or would i have to remove it. Thanks. Mark.

Carolyn H.

Carolyn H.asked

What year carbs will inter change with a 2007 vstar 650?

Candy E.

Candy E.asked

How much does the Yamaha VSTAR 650 weigh with windshield and bags? Aprox.of course.

ronald

I owned a v-star 650 custom and it weighted 515 lbs and with side bags, windshield, sissy bar and rear rack it weighted about 540 lbs. The 650 classic weights about 540 lbs and with the above mentioned additions would likely total about 565 lbs or around there. Hopefully this information is helpful. Remember to always ride safely.

Justin Bubba M.

Justin Bubba M.asked

I'm trying to see what front end parts are interchangeable on my 2004 Yamaha v-star 1100 custom. I need new front forks and I found some from an 2006 650. Will it work?

jerry s.
jerry s.

The XVS650 only has a single front disc, the 1100 had twin discs so 650 forks only have a caliper mounting on one side.

Isaac R

Isaac Rasked

Is 41000kms too much on a Yamaha V-star 650 bobber for 4,600AUD?

Savage Steel
Savage Steel

No, I bought my 2003 XVS 650 at 43000 last year, now has 48500 klm on it.

Hi Issac
I am an American so I will try to answer your question. I had to do a little calculating. Forty -one thousand kilometers is equal to 25, 476 miles and 4,600 AUD is equal to 3,248 US dollars. You didn't mention the year of the bike or if you bought the bike from a dealer or private party. However, that doesn't sound to bad of a price. It's a great bike I put over 80,000 kilometers on mind.

I regret selling my 650 and should have keep it as a second bike. The Yamaha 650 can easily with proper maintenance run well over 160,000 kilometers or 1000,000 miles.
Enjoy the bike and remember to ride safe and wear protective gear.

I currently ride a Yamaha 950, and I am very happy with it. Yamaha makes a good bike at a reasonable cost.

pjeaje
pjeaje

Ease up on the "remember to ride safe and wear protective gear" advice thanks Ron.

JLad

JLadasked

Anybody know what years are interchangeable with a 2009 Yamaha V Star 650 Classic? Im looking for a complete front end, Forks and all.

Doreen L

Doreen Lasked

I have a 650 Yamaha vstar 2006 I broke the carburetor. What carburetors interchange?

ronald

All the v-star year carbs are pretty much the same, the only difference is the float bowls on 06 and later models.

Shane Mac

Shane Macasked

Can someone recommend a good engine oil to use on the 2008 XVS 650? Thanks in advance.

Jenson

Jensonasked

Will a 2005 xvs650 exhaust fit a 2017 xvs650?

ronald

Yes. The bike hasn't changed since it's creation in 97 or 98.

Aman

Amanasked

I Am very confused among yamaha650 and Kawasaki Vulcan . Can U suggest me please?

ronald

The Vulcan comes in the 650 S and 903 models. The 903 models are very similar to the Yamaha 950 models. Great all purpose touring cruisers created in the 2008-2009 era. The Vulcan 650 S is a new model I think created in 2015 very sporty cruiser. It's a little smaller but sportier then Yamaha 650 (1998). However, it is much more modern. I hear that the Vulcan 650 is a great bike.

Petra

Petraasked

I got a v. Star 650 cruiser the front carb is intermittent failing. Changed spark plugs changed fuel filter and drained carborater still no good. Any help?

ronald

I would take the carburetor apart and clean it with carburetor cleaner. If that doesn't work I would replace the carburetor.

Joe

Joeasked

What is the difference between a XVS 650 classic Yamaha MY15 to a MY18?

Rod

Rodasked

How to remove a riser on a 2017 vstar after the bottom bolt head snapped off?

Jeffasked

I have a 2007 VStar 650 custom. When I try to take it for a ride I can get a block away then it wants to bog down and die, then I can't keep it running. When you first start it up it starts fine and idles fine. But I can only go about a block when it dies on me. I bought it like that and the owner had two people look at it and one even took the carbs off and checked the jets and neither one can find anything wrong. Do ang one think the carbs needs sinked together?

John

I think you need a new petcock assembly. It sounds like you are running out of gas... and I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting you didn't open the petcock correctly. On a previous bike I had, the fuel petcock became really {REALLY} gummed up after the bike set up for a year or so. I had to remove it and clean it, breaking both strainers in the process. My suggestion is to take the fuel hose off the carbs, open the petcock and see if you are getting a constant supply of fuel {catch it in a bottle or something}. If not, there is your problem. There is one other possibility I just thought of... your fuel tank may not be venting properly... causing a vacuum to form in the tank as gas is sucked in the carbs. In a short time the negative pressure in the tank will overcome the pumps ability to pull gas out of the tank, which would also cause your problem. I suppose you have checked the fuel pump to make sure it is functioning?

Good luck Jeff, hope you get it going. It is a great bike and I love my 2005.

Jeff

As soon as I can I will check the things you suggested and get back to you. Thanks for your info.

Anna H

Anna Hasked

Got in an accident on my 1100 V-Star and went down on the right side. Once I picked up my bike oil just poured out of the air filter cover but it did start up and I rode it the mile-and-a-quarter home and parked it so I could inspect the the damage. There is a hole in the air filter cover and outside of some dents and the mirror being out of whack that's all I could find anybody out there have any idea about what could be wrong with it and in all honesty, I need to know is it worth fixing or should I just get a new bike?

John

You have probably taken action on this already but here goes. 1.] Glad you are ok. 2.] Your bike must have laid down a while for oil to get into the air filter. 3.] Refill your oil to the proper level, replace your air filter (and housing, if you don't like the hole) and continue riding. It may smoke for a few minutes out of the exhaust until all of the oil burns out of the cylinders. This is assuming your 'accident' was not a collision, and you just laid your bike down. If you collided/crashed into something... check your front end and triple tree very well. Make sure nothing is bent or cracked or loose. You don't want to ride on a bike that has been structurally compromised.

Hope this helps Anna,

John in Arkansas

dannyellabellasked

Can anyone tell me what happens if an air filter screw gets into the whole of your crank side cover?

John

If it gets pulled in past the throat of one of the carbs and makes it into the cylinder.... a major catastrophe. Hopefully this has not happened to you.

dannyellabell

Thanks no problems yet i went on a 700 ks ride had no problems rode anothe 200 ks no problems so i know i dropped it because it was in a room and it couldn't of gone anywhere else so its algood so far ....thanks for the reply john

dannyellabellasked

Does the platinum air ride suspension fit on a xvs Vstar custom 2009? As i've seen them on the 2007 models any info would be great. Thanks!

Melvin

Melvinasked

Will 2011 xvs650 exhaust fit a 2003 xvs 650? Thanks

John

The bikes remain unchanged to my knowledge. It should fit. I do not know this 100%... but If It was me and that was my choice, I would get it. I don't think there is anything that will keep it from bolting right up.

Johnny M

Johnny Masked

I have a 2000 vstar 650 custom, it’s my first motorcycle and I’ve gotten into an accident with it, the gas tank was crushed on the left side but i replaced the tank and the handlebar and the rear fender, now that I got the bike back in one piece... the bike won’t move, I can turn the bike on and it starts up, I can also shift the bike through it’s gears but it won’t move forward or backwards even when it’s in neutral, does anyone else have this problem?

John

Sounds like the impact was on the left side, which is the side your drive shaft is on. It sounds like your drive shaft is broken, the hypoid gear is busted, or your drive shaft is stripped. Look and see that when you shift into gear, if the drive shaft is turning. That will tell you everything you need to know. Glad you made it through your accident in one piece.

John in Arkansas