Yamaha V-Star XVS650 Custom

Yamaha V-Star XVS650 Custom Questions & Answers

Brand Manager for Yamaha Motor? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

90 questions from our users

gvik2008
gvik2008asked

If I put short shot exhaust pipes on my 2009 v-star 650 do I have to change jets in my carbs

Michael H.
Michael H.asked

I have a 2000 v star 650 . when I turn on my turn signals all the signals flash at once. Why is it doing this?

Cynthia C.
Cynthia C.asked

Can I put 03 Vstar motor in a 05 classic Vstar my clutch was stuck in 5 th gear couldn't get lose now found 03 motor to put in it will it work?

Mark w
Mark wasked

Do xvs 650 have limiter on them

James L.
James L.asked

I have a 2019 xvs custom dragstar, looking at the Vance and Hines exhaust short shots to put in it, only ones I can find say they got the 2003-2015 model of my bike, would they still fit?

ronald

The 650 v-star came out in 1998 and as far as I understand never changed, however I thought that the v-star was discontinued in like 2016 or 2017. I currently have a 950 V-Star and I believed all the v-stars are now discounted there great bikes so this really confused me. The Vance and Hines would be a great addition and as far as I know should fit.

Stevie
Stevieasked

Just recently purchased a brand new 650 custom. Still getting used to it after having not riding for many years. I'm having gear changing issues with some clunky noise changing up and down. Is that normal or is it me needing more practice?

Hi Stevie
I owned a custom 650 for 5 years and put over 50,000 miles on the bike and I loved the 650. Believe it or not I even felt separation anxiety when I traded it in for my 950, until I got used to the 950. If you ever desire a bigger bike look no further then the 950.
There is some noise when changing gears on the 650 but its not that loud. The 950 which I own now is somewhat quieter when changing gears.
If I were you I would have a mechanic that you trust that is familiar with the Yamaha 650 take it for a test ride. My gut feeling is that you are talking about the normal sound made when changing gears. But have it checked out just to be sure.

Stevie
Stevieasked

I just purchased a brand new xvs 650 custom. I 'm running it in and still getting used to the bike but gear changing is an issue for me. I'm getting this clunkiness changing up and down. I'm wanting smooth gear changing. Is this normal? Or will it take practice to get it "right"?

Paul S.
Paul S.asked

Will a rear seat of a 2016 V star xvs 650 custom fit a 2008 V star xvs 650 custom ?

Spinner A.
Spinner A.asked

Hi I have a 07 xvs650 just wondering if they have pumpa carbs on them and if not does anyone know where to buy some

Jay E.
Jay E.asked

Will a 2006 vstar motor fit on a 2007 vstar?

Cindy H.
Cindy H.asked

I have a 1999 vstar 650 classic. one of the bolts that hold the back of the fuel tank on fell off.
Does anyone know what size the bolts are so I can replace it? I ordered some from partzilla but they are not the right size, they are very small.

Melanie drew F.
Melanie drew F.asked

I have just bought a Yamaha V Star 650 Classic, what petrol do I put in and can I mix???

Savage Steel

I have used premium (91 octane) and regular (87 octane) but I find that our bike ran at its best with regular fuel.
Keep up with your maintenance and you will have no problem at all. My bike have 54,000 klm now, I have taken her to Sturgis 2 yrs ago and that is over 2000 klm round trip from where I am, she may not be the fastest in our group but no breakdown, One of the HD in our group broke down twice.

Ray B
Ray Basked

burbles and pops on deacel with vance and hines pipes?

Deane W.
Deane W.

block off all your pipes with egr thing , which is easy to do , and go up a few jet sizes in carb , will seattle popping down considerably

Brent H.
Brent H.asked

Need to put stock exhaust back onto my 650 (learner legal laws and what not) currently has V&H on, can ones of an 1100 work or not? Thanks

Graham S.
Graham S.asked

Have a 2015 v star 659 classic, thinking putting VH exhaust. Will the slip on work? Or do I need whole set up?

ronald

Yes, slip on or complete.

Savage Steel

Absolutely, I have V & H Cruze on mine and I love it. Can be a little annoying to some but other bikes are louder.

Shaun C.asked

How fare will i get on one tank of fuel

Hi Shaun
It really depends on how you ride and where you ride. I treat all my machines easy and normally don't ride to hard so if you ride hard you will get less. The tank if I remember on the v-star 650 is 4.2 gallons ( I now ride a V-Star 950 Tourer) so the math reveals that I was getting between 200-220 (average about 210) miles per tank on the back roads and about 160-200 (average about 180) miles at highway speeds. By the way great Irish name. Hope this helps. Have A GREAT DAY! Go Bills! That's the Buffalo Bills of course.

Cheers mate

Shaun C.asked

How fare will my bike go on one tank of fuel

Savage Steel

I always fill up at 150 klm for good measure, ran out of gas before and that's no fun

Cheers mate

Kevin s.asked

Will a 2007 vstar 650 motor fit a 2006 vstar 650?

Savage Steel

Yes, Its the same motor and same bike.

Yes, bike is unchanged from its creation in 1998,

Kevin s.

Thx appreciate the feedback from you both

Kenneth B.
Kenneth B.asked

Will tryni g engine back words through timing Cain off?

Colten L.
Colten L.asked

Can I put 2005 yamaha vstar 650 exhaust on a 2003 of the sam model? Are the flanges the same size or would they be completely wrong

Other Cruiser Bikes