Yamaha V-Star XVS650 Custom

Yamaha V-Star XVS650 Custom Questions & Answers (page 3 of 5)

Brand Manager for Yamaha Motor? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

90 questions from our users

dannyellabell
dannyellabellasked

Does the platinum air ride suspension fit on a xvs Vstar custom 2009? As i've seen them on the 2007 models any info would be great. Thanks!

Melvin
Melvinasked

Will 2011 xvs650 exhaust fit a 2003 xvs 650? Thanks

John

The bikes remain unchanged to my knowledge. It should fit. I do not know this 100%... but If It was me and that was my choice, I would get it. I don't think there is anything that will keep it from bolting right up.

John from Arkansas

Johnny M
Johnny Masked

I have a 2000 vstar 650 custom, it’s my first motorcycle and I’ve gotten into an accident with it, the gas tank was crushed on the left side but i replaced the tank and the handlebar and the rear fender, now that I got the bike back in one piece... the bike won’t move, I can turn the bike on and it starts up, I can also shift the bike through it’s gears but it won’t move forward or backwards even when it’s in neutral, does anyone else have this problem?

John

Sounds like the impact was on the left side, which is the side your drive shaft is on. It sounds like your drive shaft is broken, the hypoid gear is busted, or your drive shaft is stripped. Look and see that when you shift into gear, if the drive shaft is turning. That will tell you everything you need to know. Glad you made it through your accident in one piece.

John in Arkansas

Mokhtar M
Mokhtar Masked

Hey guys looking at buying a 2008 yamaha v-star xvs60 with 39000 kms. Is that to high for the kms????

Grapes

That's about 2000km a year, not too much as long as it's been serviced correctly.

Charles
Charlesasked

Have a 2002 vstar 650 will a 2008 vstar 650 fit?

fit what?

Bigwazz69
Bigwazz69asked

When getting my XVS serviced, the dealership I purchased it from said to have it serviced every 6K, but another dealership said they did the services every 10K, which is better value for money. I was supposed to have the big service ($800) at 24K but got it done at 25K, am now approaching the 45K service, after having one at 35K. Should I be getting another BIG service at 48K, does anyone know? Bloody bike shops around here like to rip people off so you don't know who to trust unfortunately! Thanks.

Dsp05r  xvs custom
Dsp05r xvs customasked

Hi I have a 06 xvs custom and I want a full sized guard over rear wheel I don’t like the classic shap but was wondering if the 400 dragster gaurd will fit without any alterations to the mounting ?thanks in advance

Stacy K
Stacy Kasked

is it safe to drive the Yamaha V-Star 650 if the muffler has come off?

No and it's illegal.

Santiago
Santiagoasked

Hello... I'm looking at towing my almost brand new XVS650 Classic on one of Fatz towing devices. Do you know if they fit and will there be a problem with gearbox if rear wheel is rolling and engine is not running? Thanks heaps Craig.

James M
James Masked

I have 2009 650 classic really like the bike very comfortable plenty of speed enough power for highway riding 14,000 miles on the bike clutch wants the slip under load pretty much 2nd to 5th gear Range any speed under load always felt the clutch was a little soft even when I purchased the bike knew how many miles should I get before had to replace clutch plates mechanics trying to tell me that could be my problem

Bear
Bearasked

I have had my motorcycle serviced and it is missing when I ride it. I was told by the mechanic that it is because I have vance and hines pipes so this is causing the problem. When I first got them put on i had the same problems. The place that I bought the bike from sorted out the problem but now it is back. I have taken the bike back four times to have the problem rectified but the problem is worse. Will it do any damage riding the bike in this condition?

Steve K
Steve Kasked

I have a Yamaha 650 soft tail 2011 and in the book it says 16L and 3L reserve does this mean I have 19L of fuel and how many Kay’s will I get sitting on 115-120?

damia12345
damia12345

The faster you Go, the faster the tank empties. Probably about 200-210 km but it depends on the fuel and the age of the bike.

Paul B
Paul Basked

I want to change my fuel filter on my xvs650 how do I do it?

Dan
Dan

Check the manuel man.. all simple repairs and maintenance is located in that

Brian
Brianasked

2002 yam xvs650. Engine only starts in neutral. Shuts off when put into gear. Won't even start in 1st, goes completely dead when running and put into 1st gear? Any ideas?

Charlie S
Charlie S

There's a little switch where the stand ends and joins the frame. It just checks to see if the stand is up.
This will stop the bike from running in first. Check it and make sure it is free moving.

Matthew M
Matthew M

Put the stand up has a kill switch on it

Anna H
Anna H

I actually had the same problem with my 1100 V-Star custom and there is a little lever/switch close to where the kickstand is attached. I literally have pick up the Kick stand somewhat vertically with my foot and then bring it back and up.... it's awkward to do but it definitely works. if I just put it up normally it doesn't activate that switch and then it won't start except in neutral.

Johnasked

Hi I have an 09 xvs650 custom Yamaha I did the oil and oil filter but is it true you shouldn't go through the gears because I did take it for a short ride felt perfect except I had a hard time putting it back to neutral...

John

Actually yeah u shouldn't ride through the gears after an oil change but after a second ride a day later everything was fine...

As above

Little henasked

Gday guys, I've got a 2005 xvs 650, 28,000, custom work been done too it, not by me, from the bars too the pipes, I did a once off burnout on it the other week. Stupid. Now the gears r still selecting, they just haven't got any drive through them, drive shaft is still turning though. Any ideas? Thanks.

Ryan

I would say that you have damaged the clutch plates.

Little hen

No worries mate, it's like they r not catching when it's in gear like they should. Cheers bud. I'm thinking mrs = $ =

buddybfun
buddybfunasked

Will stock exhaust from a 2003 vstar 650 fit on a2000 Yamaha650?

Art
Art

sorry but no idea. Better ask elsewhere, i.e. netrider forum.

Ben Sover
Ben Sover

yes it will

Johnasked

My 99 650 v star classic started acting as it was running out of fuel, plenty of fuel on board. I pulled the carbs and had them rebuilt but it still will not rev, idles fine, starts right up. I dumped all the gas and added some new, rolled it around well and dumped that as well before adding new fresh fuel and filter but the problem is still there? I then brought it up to stalling out and gave it a small shot of starting fluid. This brought the rpms right up until the little blast burned off. So I have rebuilt the carbs, new filter tested the fuel pump wich pumps well. There is plenty of fuel getting into the carbs but not enough to bring the rpms up or ride it faster than idle speed. This problem was spuratic at first and then progressed to continues. HELP!!!

Ryan

Wow, bummer! You would need to take it to a workshop and get a mechanic for this one. It sounds to me like your ignition system is burned out. Best of luck. It should be a straightforward fix

Easy_Rider_FM
Easy_Rider_FM

I lost all throttle past idle and found my needle emulsion plug had been moved from its proper orientation after a cleaning out of the range of the fuel channel. I re seated the emulsion tube and all was back to normal.. when you take off the upper air box above the carbs are the needle emulsion tubes fully seated flush with the walls other than the needle receiver? The emulsion tube has to line up grove to fully seat or your not fully in the jet channel giving you main response above idle. Mine had good startup and idle... It would start out at idle pilot jet but once the main tried to open the bike wold start to stall with no throttle and die.. Easy fix.. if the needle emulsion tube is not correctly installed simply pop the float bowls off pull the emulsion needle retainer and re seat the tube aligning it with the wall pin to the tube grove.

AAron
AAronasked

Hey guys, I am buying a 2002 custom 650. It has 40k on it. I was wondering what oil, gas,exhaust would be best for it without ruining the motor. I would also like some performance upgrades as well, can anyone help me out?

Ryan

Hi Aaron. Use as high an octane rating as possible for fuel. Although the minimum grade is 95 RON use 98 if you can as the engine will run cooler. Oil: use a synthetic oil within the manufacturers specs and change it and the filter every 5000 km. Oil, too, helps the engine run cooler. I have Short Shot pipes on my bike. They don't require any re-jetting or anything and they sound very cool. If you play with the induction ( air cleaner) you will need to re- jet as well. Get a professional to do this unless you really know what you are doing. The best way to upgrade performance is to buy new tyres, then work on the brakes/ suspension then the engine last.

danno
danno

Run 87 Octane, no higher or you will get carbon deposits. Do not use higher octane than recommended. Higher octane burns slower creating carbon. I would use 20w-50 oil if temps are above 50F. If lower than 50F, 10w-40. Synthetic is good, make sure the oil is for a wetted clutch. The owners manual is available online. Get it.

Pauly boy
Pauly boyasked

Ive been riding my xvs650 classic for a couple of months now and really happy with its performance. Its fitted with Vance and Hines shorties and I just purchased a spike air cleaner. I fitted the spike and now the bike is dying under load what should i do? Will adjusting the mixture screw rectify this issue or do I neeed to rejet or fit a GAK Kit . Please help I cant ride her at the moment.

Ryan

Hi Paul. I'm not an expert but any fiddling with the engine's ability to 'breathe' (either intake or exhaust) would require some re-jetting AFAIK.

Are you getting detonation ( marbles in a tin can sound) under load? If so, my guess is that the fuel/air mix is now too lean with the spike intake.

Let us know how it works out ☺

Ryan

Have you tried using RON 95 or 98 fuel?.

Let us know how it works out ☺

Ryan

Paul, Roley gave an answer to Joe's question about V&H pipes. It makes good reading.

Other Cruiser Bikes