Yamaha V-Star XVS650 Custom

Yamaha V-Star XVS650 Custom Questions & Answers (page 5 of 5)

Brand Manager for Yamaha Motor? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

90 questions from our users

Rob
Robasked

Hi, I bought a XVS650 in March this year. It is a Classic and I am extremely happy with it, It has 4000km on the clock already. My question is, When the bike is hot the motor has a ticking noise, you can't hear it when riding along but as soon as you slow down or stop you can hear it. (Sounds to me like tappet noise). I have taken it back twice now and the mechanic says that they are a bit of a noisy motor. Can anyone help me out?

Dave

Could be piston slap but i have never had this on mine . Only the cooling down tick after a long ride . Maybe a bearing ? You can get a slight whine from the shaft drive but i think you are being mislead as mine isnt noisy . Sorry cant help much

ron

I have also noticed that my motor at times seems to make some strange sounds. This is my first motorcycle and I don't really know alot about motorcycle motors. However, there is an international group called the - v-star owners group - just run that name on google or some other sersch engine. I believe that they can help you. Like you I love the 650. Be safe and enjoy riding. Go buffslo bills!

BOLTZY
BOLTZYasked

I am looking at buying the XVS650 Custom. I am goin to get the Vance & Hines exhaust fitted. Anyone give input on cruiser or slash cuts would be appreciated?

Dave

I have Vance and Hines short shots fitted to mine and they sound great . Be sure to have it done properly as your carbs have to be re jetted .

Celtic1888
Celtic1888

I'm also looking at getting the pipes changed. Dealership has told me to get it rejected but I've seen on other sites that it's not necessary. Anyone know if it's needed or not. It adds a lotto the cost. Thinking of swapping them over myself.

darth penguin
darth penguin

i tried both the short shot and the cruiser pipes
the short shot are very loud if you want attention you will get it
the cruiser is perfect heads turn but no you tosser looks

there is just the right amount of backfire powering down too sound cool but not enough to think gotta get that tuned

as for fuel consumption short shots sent my$$$$ through the roof and yet the cruisers i found better than the factory ones
never had the carbys re jetted

drewasked

has any one had speedo stop and check engine light come on? s

oliver.blion
oliver.blion

Happened on my 2014 custom today. Will get it checked out asap.

drew

HI Loose speedo cable at front wheel or at speedo on tank

Tim Oates
Tim Oatesasked

My friend has an HD 883 iron and I can't currently keep up with him up hills on my 350cc when where out cruising. Will the v star be able to handle the hills? I just got my P's and want something I can cruise with the bigger bikes a bit easier.

Also can you remove the decals from the fuel tank without having to get it resprayed?

Hi Tim
My yamaha 650 custom handles the hills of the western New York ski region just fine. However, remember that it is a middleweight crusher and has limitations. A good video to watch is the middlewight cruiser motorcycles test (bikes under 1000cc) conducted by Popular Mechanics. In this test the Yamaha 650 custom is tested aganist the 883, the Honda 750 and other middlewight cruisers. The Yamaha 650 custom did very well in this test and was part of my decision making to buy the bike.
I don't know if you can remove the decals from the fuel tank without having to get it repainted. a Harley. Also check out the Yamaha Bolt I took it for a test drive and loved it. Good luck.
GO BUFFALO BILLS

Dave

My XVS handles hills just fine and can do 140kph on the flat and then goes flat. I have Vince and Hines short shots and had the carbs re jetted. Not sure on the decals but would assume its not easy. Bolt gets launched here in Aus on Friday but will probably go bigger when on my opens next year. You will enjoy the xvs650 though and it's pretty comfortable too

Hi Tim
Let me explain what I mean by the 650 custom being a middleweight cruiser with limitations. First of all I really enjoy riding my 650 custom, it gets 50 miles to a gallon of gas, looks great, and handles very well and is afforable. Currently, I use my bike to ride to and from work (100 mile round trip). It is the perfect size bike for my riding needs. However, in the furture I may want to tour the country and would need a bigger bike that has more power and confort for the much longer rides.

manny
mannyasked

How much is a brand new 2013 yamaha v star 650? Brand new?

ron

Curently in the US for $6,999 dollars. I would try to buy a left over model from 2012 or even 2011. A left over is a bike that is still in the box, You should be able to get a left over for about a thousand dollars less. That is what I did. I bought a left over 2011 in 2012 for about $1,000 less. Good luck it really is a great bike. I love it and ride it to and from to work on days that it isn't raining100 mile round trip.

Dave

Just over $10k AUD now I think for a standard model and around $1800 for the bobber kit

BIKER
BIKERasked

Who did the carbie tune....What size jets did they use?

Dave

the dealer did it for me although I am not happy after the first 1000km service as the bike has died a few times while waiting at the lights while idling. i will take it back for them to have a look at it. i am not sure what size jets they used to be honest. I used team moto Yamaha on the gold coast 07 5557 1111. give them a call, they are very helpful. hope this helps a bit

Dave

Ok , I was a bit stupid. There is an idle adjust by the fuel tab. A quater turn to make it idle slightly quicker and it's fine. it was just set so low this was the problem. I asked a mate and he told me what to do. glad I never took i back and looked a complete idiot

WillyB
WillyBasked

Looking for after market pipes for my 2013 Custom. But every website pretty much says that said pipes (no matter what brand) only fit up till 2010 model! How can this be if the bike is the same now as then?

I took my xvs 650 custom 2010 model to a professional exhaust shop in Moss street over in springwood, they did a custom modification on my stock exhausts and made it sound awesome and loud enough to be heard on the road. There are ways around it if you cant find after market pipes to fit, but I wanted to keep my stock pipes on and still have a nice note to it......good luck anyway

Tigerboy
Tigerboyasked

Looking at buying 1st bike, a vstar. But what Kl is to much plus does age matter or just condition?

philmac

Hi Age is not a concern as the VSTARS arent that old What matters is condition and servicing
Phil

bruce93
bruce93asked

My 650 has a rattle noise in top gear when sitting on constant speed u back off it go but then comes back in its only in top gear

philmac

Im not a meachanic. I would check the whole bike for loose nuts or screws.

Double J
Double J

Mine had a similar problem. I found it to be the Visor on the Head lamp was a little loose.

Phantom BMCA MC
Phantom BMCA MC

There is a cradle under the fuel tank which can sometimes work loose and rattle on the front rocker cover. Mine did this until o took it back to the dealer who services it and he put it right for me in about 10th minutes flat.

Alex
Alexasked

Does anyone know if or when the 2012/2013 xvs650 custom will be released? I can't find any Aussie info as all shops only sell 2011 versions still.

Chris Brown58