1.4 from 2,479 reviews

See the Best Mobile Phone Service Providers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

God no!

I wish I'd read these reviews first. Optus took over my plan when virgin mobile shut down. Worst company ever! I got scammed with the lease change. Got talked into a lease plan then less than a year later they stop leasing. No option to let me out of my contract and can't upgrade without signing another 2 years on a purchase plan. Hope they get sued. (Internet is a sort as well)

Plan Cost per Month: $125.00
Included Data per Month:50 GB

Avoid

Most frustrating experience.
For three months I've been calling them to reduce my plan from 100 to 30/month as I am only using a fraction of what I was paying for. I would not recommend Optus to anyone.
Avoid them if you can.

Plan Cost per Month: $99.00
Included Data per Month:80 GB

Please please read before you contract!!

If you think about contracting with optus, please read this. I’d give 0 star if I could, absolutely worse customer experience from tEch support to customer support, received faulty device, told customer support and confirmed with manufacturer, but denied responsibility or apology to customer regarding this issue, all they did is to scream at you about what you did was wrong. Every department from reps to managers to supervisors, tells lies after lies after lies, intentionally deceive customers about their rights and making up laws to reject your request. I contracted and received a new faulty device, told customer support but they denied responsibility and only offered to repair(they don’t from experience) but offer refurbished devices to customers even though the device was faulty on arrival. Service rep and supervisor(pretentious mofos am I right) denies customer of their consumer rights of returning a faulty product on arrival for a new device and deceiving customers into believing that they are only able to return a faulty device that they receive on the day of arrival.
Atrocious, dishonest and every staff at optus are curry munching liars. If you are reading this go out buy a phone and get a sim from else where. But never contract on a device from optus.

Never sign contract with Optus

Never sign contract with Optus Including Mobile & broadband service. customer service is ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE, they will not fix your problem until you report to TIO. they shouldn't be
telecommunications industry.

Plan TypePost-Paid with Phone

Live chat never tells the truth. Will never go back to Optus again

I was a loyal Optus customer for five years. Network coverage was ok. The price was relatively similar to other service provider, but live chat is ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE. To start with, I was a porting victim and I asked live chat why there was no service in cbd and Live chat told me that there was an outage in cbd (of course live chat lied because my number was ported and they can see that from their end for sure). After that, I started a new phone contract with Optus for another two years. I requested for a call log history at the end of my contract(all the in and out calls history for the last two years). Every time I speak to a live chat agent, they extend the business days needed to turnaround for this kind of request (from 7 business days to 14 business days). It is now the 52nd day from the first day I requested for a chat log, and I still haven’t received anything at all. What really frustrates me a lot is that the live chat agents make so many excuses and lie to customers so they have less job to do.

Plan Cost per Month: $45.00
Included Data per Month:1.5 GB

Difficult to get problems resolved.

Set up is inconvenient, do not use unless you have something very simple to do. Customer service is left wanting. They only have a script to go by and even when the questions are answered if its in the script they keep asking.

I had a slightly strange set up and anything out of the ordinary is too much for them to work out. Set up from the beginning was not suitable and trying to change it has been impossible. Am unable to change email addresses or details from first set up which means I can't log in to change details. Catch 22. In a continuous loop of trying to get assistance. Service is still working as they are taking money out of my credit card but won't deal with me directly - even though I'm paying. Customer service also seems overseas so English isn't great. While this works well in other industries I don't find it ever works well in Telecommunications. They can only deal with the script that they have been handed. No option for them to think outside the box.

I have been able to speak to someone in Australia once before who was great so I will be on a quest to find out how to do that again.

I would highly suggest you go elsewhere and avoid this company. Their setup, systems and customer service are probably the worst I have experienced. Really dissapointing - the company is large enough to do better I would have thought.

Very bad management of NBN service

Please consider using a different service provider if possible.
Relocating to a new house and having the service reconnected was not manged well, then when asked for the service to be cancelled they confirmed it was cancelled after two weeks it was still not property cancelled so I could not connect to another network.
They did wave a cancellation fee and pending bill charges which was nice of them, but if you do use them, make sure that when they cancel your order, they cancell it both on the Optus end and also the Driving Order on the NBNCo's actual portal system, and get it in writing from them. this will save you weeks of waiting.

Worst costumer service! Untrustworthy

Optus charged me for a phone that I didn’t keep when I ended my contact. They promised me a refund but I didn’t receive my refund as they said I would. After so many chats and calls I was so upset and angry in the end. They shouldn’t do this to their own customers. It isn’t fair. If Optus changed the customer for something they shouldn’t have to pay then it shouldn’t have to be this difficult to get their refund. So UNFAIR! I have to wait all together 2 and half weeks to receive my money on my bank account. It was not a good experience. Terrible.

Plan TypePre-Paid Sim Only

Worst service ever trying to cancel a service

I would give 0 starts if it were possible. I cancelled my NBN plan due to moving house and going with another provider and was told it was all sorted on first chat. Two weeks later, after not receiving my return satchel for the fetch box I followed up again and was asked when did I cancel my service. The service had not been cancelled and I was told again it would be cancelled that day.
After 3 Chats with 5 people, and two phone calls I think I've finally cancelled my service but I guess I'll see.
Their customer service team left no notes in regards to my wanting to cancel my service and I had to repeat my myself and the situation to 7 different people.

STAY AWAY and use a different provider who actually knows what they are doing.

Local Reception

Worst customer service ever. Continual lies.

If I could give zero stars I would. Attempting to do a simple transfer of address not changing anything to do with the plan at all. Optus failed to complete the relocation and lied about it continually. Then they cancelled NBN technician appointments without our knowledge and lied about that as well. The call centres optus uses are atrocious. They seem to gather enjoyment out of making westerner lives hard and straight out telling lies to us. Optus shareholders, you need to reconsider who you use to represent your company and provide a much better customer service to. Cheap labor won’t win in the end. I’d be embarrassed to have anything to do with this company and certainly would not encourage anyone to use optus and I actively encourage others not to use any of their services. There needs to be a Royal Commission into the telcos, as they’re just as money hungry and shonky as the banks, all to the detriment of the consumer.

Plan Cost per Month: $110.00

Rubbish

After being with Optus for over a year I still am unable to read any of my bills. I get an amount but no itemised bill. The website and phone app are both rubbish and I have wasted countless hours trying to make them work. Chat help people keep telling me some information is missing, but it is not. Not only that they themselves say they have reinstated said missing information but still nothing works. Time for another provider. Don't bother with these. Rubbish.

Plan TypePost-Paid Sim Only
Plan Cost per Month: $35.00
Included Data per Month:4 GB

Poor service trying to connect NBN avoid them

Have spent all week trying to resolve NBN setup , passed around incompetent call centre no resolve as no one knows why the order was cancelled and wrong address details entered

The Worse Service Provider By Far. They Dont Even Deserve 1 Star

The worse provider, poor customer service, poor network, poor NBN service, no luck of experience and understanding from the agents.
They charge you with every cent extra but when you have a problem to resolve the issue the customer is always wrong and your paying for things that was not part of your contract.
Hopeless optus. Don't ever deal with them. Id rather pay extra then to deal with this provider ever. I well take all my business accounts somewhere else

Plan Cost per Month: $250.00
Included Data per Month:0 GB

Remove existing lines (numbers & account number) without notice. A mess!!

Since migrating from cable to Optus NBN early this year, we have been experiencing poor Optus's services from: cancelling of order with order reference erased, delaying installation for months without giving explanation, dishonoring sales incentive while attracting new businesses, poor communications in email and web-chat, Chat history in text not emailed for record keeping- even when the record comes, the text had the numeric blanked off making reference and $ illegible, phone conversation suddenly ended without trace is common, unreliable NBN data feed occasionally stopped & intermittent outages in evenings without warning.
The latest thing happened yesterday is that two existing land line (connecting to our home phone & fax where the numbers have been used for over 20 years) were taken out of service without our knowledge. Their outsourced overseas operators are trained to very limited capacity, unable to deal with many issues. Therefore putting the service provision un-serviceable whilst the business keep on pumping out problems to us the paying clients. Overall, the experience on current Optus's services isn't one I recommend.

Worst experience ever

Worst experience ever, I moved from virgin mobile to Optus to get better services but end up with headache and frustration during work. Without delivering the Optus sim card Optus stopped my virgin services which was having 7 days with around 15 GB data. so from last two days I don't have any network and no can contact me. Optus customer representative asked to me go Optus store to get the sim so I went to Optus during my working hours and Optus store customer preventative told me you have bring your passport for activation, who carry passport with them. worst experience doesn't stop here. Optus store gave me replacement sim and told me activate online and when I reached back to my office I found you cannot activate replace sim online you have to call Optus so I borrow phone from my friend and call Optus and explain everything. When I provided replacement sim no to them they told me it's faulty you have to go Optus store again or wait for 3 days to receive new sim, it's so frustrating. Here customer is paying for services and he is only one who is suffering here. Now I have go again to Optus store during my working hours. I cannot believe this is happening with me, it was better to stay with Virgin mobile and instead of staying 2 days without network.

Please give proper and right information. Please make changes in your process where you stopped existing services without delivering sim.

Plan TypePost-Paid Sim Only
Plan Cost per Month: $30.00
Included Data per Month:15 GB

Insurance cover useless

I cracked the screen on my galaxy note9. I pay extra for the "device protect" insurance. I called optus to make a claim and was told by the supervisor Crystal my phone needs to be sent away for up to 10 business days to be repaired/replaced with a refurbished model. I require my phone for work (im on call) and asked if there was a way to receive a replacement faster. This is an if your phone is lost or stolen, a replacement is sent to you within 2 business days. I asked for this option (and offered to pay any extra excess) and was told no. My options are have it sent away for 10 business days, take it to samsung and they will send it away for repair and optus will reimburse the difference, or upgrade my plan/start a new plan and pay out my current plan. I have 12 months remaining on my current plan.
I was with virgin mobile for 10 years and recently rolled over to optus.
Optus mobile offers useless insurance and terrible customer service. I will be leaving optus at the end of this mobile plan.
John Morson.

No 4G or phone coverage in Redfern or Sydney CBD

Data speeds are slow or have deadzones near Martin Place or Redfern stations so calls, Spotify or emails / social media all grind to a halt. Cannot make or receive calls in the Sydney Inner West in a 2015 postcode. Nightmare and will switch back to Vodafone or Telstra as soon as my contract ends. Terrible network - do not even think about it

Plan Cost per Month: $110.00
Included Data per Month:60 GB

Nightmare

Ordered a cell phone from Optus which I could not receive from AU post due to lack of ID proof points. Contacted them soon after and upon their suggestion, I cancelled my online order. They said to walk into any Optus store straight away, and I can get the same phone immediately without any trouble. Unfortunately, I could not get the phone because the previous order was still on the system. I walked into the store couple of times but could not receive the handset. Anyway, everything was fine till here. But after some days, my existing mobile network was cancelled. When I contacted them, they said my order was not cancelled and is on my way and to contact them within a week. This time they would deliver to my home address so that there won't be any trouble. Again after a week, I contacted them, and now they said that my order had already been cancelled.
On top of that, I started to receive messages to pay the monthly bill (during my first cancellation, they had said I don't have to pay any money for this cancelled headset). It took me months to settle this problem. They gave me a nightmare for just ordering a handset. After such frequent contacts, I was successful in getting a cancellation message. And now all of a sudden I am receiving messages from state mercantile to pay that particular bill. I do not know what do I do now. I can't spend my life in settling this issue. This was around Jan/Feb of 2019. It seems like I did a great mistake and I am paying for it till now. So unbelievable, so unorganised, so troublesome. Would never recommend Optus.

AVOID AND DO NOT USE

Went to get a sim card as changing from Virgin to these idiots because Virgin closing down its mobile service. Got it Sunday, still waiting on it to be activated, now Tuesday, had to message chat them online they tell me today after 12.16 and waiting time up to 4 hours thereafter. Thankfully I didn't change my internet plan over as I would have to make smoke signals to contact them. What a joke they are!

Plan TypePre-Paid Sim Only
Plan Cost per Month: $30.00
Included Data per Month:10 GB

AVOID

Never had such terrible customer service in my life. I tried to get a new phone and plan through Optus from Virgin, ordered it online. Waited for 2 weeks and didn't receive it so I called and they told me I had to go instore to do it. I went instore and they called customer service who told me to just put the order through in store. I later received a bill from Virgin who I wasn't even with anymore. I called customer service who told me to sort it in store, then went to the Optus store, and they told me to sort it with customer service over the phone. They are refusing to give me my $70 back even though it was their screw up. Cancelling my plan with optus. FURIOUS. I would give 0 stars if I could.