Optus Mobile

Optus Mobile

Brand Manager for Optus? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

Nick B
Nick BSouth-East, TAS

Laughable company

Ridiculous prices, even worst customer support and straight up rip offs. Had many problems and would spend hours waiting for someone and when you finally got through they would just send you off to a different person who still couldn’t help! I’m glad I swapped as soon as I could!

Claire L.
Claire L.

Rubbish

I had a problem with my SIM for ages. It kept dropping out, so I would lose service for hours. I went to an Optus shop, but unfortunately my SIM was in someone else's name and apparently they needed to be present with photo ID in hand before they could do anything. I even offered to Skype them and have them hold up their ID, but the apathetic sales assistant gave a flat "no." We worked different shifts, so it was borderline impossible for us to find a time at which we could go to a store, but eventually we managed it (by taking the day off). And lo and behold they had switched over to a new system that very morning and couldn't help us!

Nickos
Nickos

Nothing but hassles, dramas and limitations

Local Reception

Flying Fijian
Flying FijianGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Very poor service

Got my s20 ultra on a 24 month plan 5 months ago. Yesterday the microphone stopped responding. Went into OPTUS outlet on Bourke street where i was told the phone needs to go in for repair. The sad part is they said they dont offer any temporary replacement phone although they continue to charge my plan.

Tikiii
TikiiiMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Customer service ok - Phone Insurance is a joke.

Iv been a customer with Optus for many moons now, i will stay the plan i have is pretty good compare to other providers.

what i don't suggest is purchasing phone insurance unless you love being without a phone for 4 weeks when you come to make a claim.

its been 3 n half wees since i surrender my phone to be repaired, still don't have it back and have been told it could take a further 5-9 business days. would make it a total of 4 and half weeks. Mind you the phone isn't being fixed, infact its been replaced with a refurbished phone. Just unacceptable.

Tips for Choosing a Mobile Plan and Service Provider

Wendy Z.21 Feb 2020
tips-for-choosing-a-mobile-plan-and-service-provider

Best Internet & Mobile Phone Service Providers in 2020!

Wendy Z.22 Nov 2019
best-internet-and-mobile-phone-service-providers-in-2020
Ron V
Ron VPerth, WA

Like dealing with the amnesiac club

ADg
ADgPerth

Customer service

Richard
RichardMelbourne

Changed mind - sentence back phone - still paying for it months later

After changing my mind within 24 hours of getting the phone (didnt like it once I could actually hold it) I took it back to Optus and asked to cancel my contract and return to my old one. They accepted and organised for it to be returned. However the warehouse haven't registered the return and I'm not atuck in pergatory with neither the shop or the warehouse knowing what to do and I'm still paying for a phone contract i don't have month later. We try and call but there is always An excuse or issue and they get confused. Very frustrating. Still unresolved.

Plan TypePost-Paid with Phone
Sa Von T.
Sa Von T.

Lost a loyal customer

been with Optus for many years, pre-order the Samsung Galaxy S20 but for some reason was sent to the wrong address even though I remember summiting my current address. overall spent 3 weeks relentlessly trying to rectify their mistake which I lost the ear-buds offer by Samsung because they had to re-order it. in the end, I got really frustrated and now left Optus as my provider. Will be disconnecting my NBN shortly after also, as I do NOT like their customer service/ overseas call centres, they do not understand Australian's.

George0179
George0179Central West, NSW

Second rate service and second rate network

It took nearly 2 weeks to transfer my number from my previous provider. On the plus side there was no downtime, the instant my old service stopped the Optus sim was ready to go. The network coverage is definitely not as good as my previous provider and the Optus 4G doesn’t seem to work as well indoors. The plan is good value, only $49 with unlimited calls, SMS, MMS and a whopping 60GB of data and there’s no lock in contract.

Eddy
Eddy

Poor Customer Service

Poor customer service, call centre workers are useless and they make it impossible to cancel your contract once it’s over.

Literally not allowed to cancel my contract online, instore they won't allow me to cancel either.

Wanderlust S.
Wanderlust S.

I got better signal in the country than I do In Sydney!

I barely have signal at my. Home in Sydney, but if I leave for more remote areas, it's better! It's Backwards! Also, they charged me $1 per MB I used in another country which is my fault for not turning my mobile data off on one day, but this was background data! And I apparently used 246mb within a day. So I racked up a hefty 246 dollar bill on top of my $60 contract. When trying to get answers as to why the charge was so high for roaming when we all know by now the scam that is data roaming (they don't pay extra why should you!) I was met with very unhelpful and cold customer service with no empathy. My contract is finally finished and I will Not be going back to Optus.

Stevie C.
Stevie C.

Decline in service lately

Long story short. When things are working fine, no worries. HOWEVER: The staff seem to be poorly trained. They have limited calling hours. The staff via chat dont read you queries, they just ask nearly random questions. They cant seem to identify issues very well. I did better googling answers. They shift blame where they can, such as to the NBN. 6 weeks into an issue, they sent us a 4G dongle.
I used to LOVE Optus. But their store staff have been rude on several occasions over the years. Some have been great.
It is not a cheap option either. Its pretty middle of the road with below average service on a wide variety of issues over NBN, mobile, prepaid. Useless.

SusanH
SusanHGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Bad Service Delivery

Not a happy camper. 3 attempts to sort out a mobile family shared data plan has ended in a $860 bill insted of an$90 bill. Hours on the phone spent talking to 10+ call centre people and still no joy

AND
ANDGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Poor network and value for money

Expensive plans with poor network. Not the best value for money. Opted out. Customer service representatives not well informed beyond the general queries. Takes long to answer. I used it for 2 years but gradually their network quality and service is declining.