Youi Car Insurance
4.2 from 5,903 reviews

could do better

did not beat nrma pricing, but still went with you guys anyway, value was still less than nrma, but you should and could do better than them espically for pensioners

Insurance TypeComprehensive and Compulsory Third Party
Plan covers drivers under 25No
Car ModelHyundai Tucson
Claim MadeNo
Book AgainYes

Three Different Premium Quotes in One Day

I got THREE different renewal premium quotes in ONE day ! This was really confusing as I didn't know what premium I was going to be charged. Although all the people I spoke to at Youi were extremely helpful & polite, I can't help but feel insecure about how they calculate their premium when there were practically no changes from the previous year.

Insurance TypeComprehensive
Plan covers drivers under 25No
Car ModelToyota Yaris XP90.II (2008-2014)
Claim MadeNo
Book AgainYes

Could have been better

I had my car insurance with youi for 9+ years. I noticed the price has been going up every year but that was ok as all insurance put their prices up every year as well. But recently I've moved into my new house. The area was better than my previous area, my car was kept in a locked garage so more safe and secure but youi decided to put the price significantly up for no reason. Spoke to few different ppl over the phone but they couldn't even tell me the reason for higher price, apparently system generated price, so couldn't do anything. Sadly I had no other choice but to cancel my 9 years relationship with youi. Customer service 5 star, guys are awesome every time I use to call them. I have my home insurance with youi at the moment though but wish they were bit less money hungry on car insurance. I'm paying now half of what I was paying to youi on my car insurance.

acceptable

I was surprised after seeing all your adds, that youi is actually dearer than the last insurance company. I only switched because my wife. or ex wife is associated with a competitor, and we didn't get any special deals from them either.

Sneaky charges

Updating my review from 5 star to three.

Appears to be cheaper than few competitors but have sneaky charges as I tried to list another driver (3rd) and they charge you and excess is so high even you list the driver.
Ending up cancelling my both cars and guess what they sting you with a cancelling fee which no one told me when I was joining. Very bad policies to rip off.
Now with better company no charges for adding driver and access is much lesser.

Insurance claim madeNo
Our policies are tailored to risk Pranav & the underwriting is all about statistics. Divers age, licence, demerits, to name a few, are all considerations when reassessing risk & price. The excess is dependent on the age of driver at the time & also if listed or unlisted when claiming. It’s true, insurers all differ with products, cover & service. In terms of cancellation fees, this is common within the insurance industry Pranav. Ours is retained from any refund owing up to $33 per policy when cancelling mid-term. We advise you of this in the documents sent, be assured, we’re not about sneaky charges. Your feedback is important to me & if you’d welcome a call, I’m here to help. Please DM me your details/policy number & I’ll review & call. Thanks - Lauren

Have just taken out insurance so can only comment on initial contact

Intitial contact from representative was very good ( We were having telephone problem ), she perserveed over numerous phonecalls until application was completed
Can not give 5 stars until ( Hopefully not ) made a claim.
2 other insurance companies were within a few dollars of Youi's quote but did not get very good reviews over several review sites re claims.

Expensive

Customer Service is very good, responsive. But getting quote is sometimes annoying as they have to call you even when it is 9 PM.
I was with Youi for more than a year, then they increased the policy. I decided to switch over and able to find other insurers with almost half price.

Also, during my first quote, I did mention to the agent that I am going to move to new address in two weeks. She said it is ok and the policy will remain the same with no extra cost and she happy to update my address. I purchased the policy. But after I moved I noticed She had only updated my billing address and not the residential address. When I tried to update the address myself I had to pay extra for it.

Insurance claim madeNo
I’d like to help & learn more Arthur as you’ve mentioned some concerning points. We have guidelines for appropriate hours of contact & when changing an address, this could present more/less risk so it wouldn’t be fair to commit to any price. As costs increase, so too will premiums at renewal & though we do our best, at times our offer may not work. I’m keen to get to the bottom of all this & provide appropriate feedback to improve. Please DM me policy/contact details & I’ll call. - Lauren

Annoying questions

Just wanted to get a online quote but get called up by a sales member with annoying questions that are nearly are all the same it takes nearly 20mins , luckily they are cheap

Insurance claim madeNo
We understand a phone call is not for everyone & sorry to have annoyed you Bob. We feel, by having a conversation, asking more questions, allowing you to ask us questions, there will be higher chance we’ll meet expectations if there is a claim. Some of the repeated questions are to ensure we’ve identified you correctly to protect your privacy & sometimes we confirm what you’ve already filled out. We’re not always the cheapest, it all depends on how you answered these questions! I’m keen to learn more from your perspective so if you’re happy to make contact, my number is 0731563531. Time is a finite recourse so I completely understand where you’re coming from – Jeremy

Fantastic premiums, ordinary claim experience

I’ve been with Youi for a while, and persuaded family members to make the switch. Saved quite a lot - insurance is a necessary evil, so savings matter.
Until I made a claim against my comprehensive car policy. There was poor communication between assessor and repairer, which left me in the lurch on finishing dates for repairs. I’d spoken to both, and both versions of events which just left me more confused, and annoyed. The assessor finally admitted there could have been better comms all round.
And as I fall into the category of “most people”, I would have thought (as I was led to believe by the claims advisor) there would be comms between her, and the assessor, and repairer. Not so.
All in all, cheaper premiums don’t always mean premium claims experience.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Andrew, I’m sorry to hear of your experience. Your feedback is super important to me & it sounds like we dropped the ball putting you out with repair times for your vehicle. Sometimes situations can arise which cause delays with repairs & you’re spot on this is when communication is key. I could see some last-minute changes needed to be done & again it is about letting you know. I am glad the repair could be done correctly. Your comments have been taken on board & thanks for your time, cheers, KoppoThanks Koppo. I’ll follow up next week with you

WHY DON'T YOU WANT TO INSURE OTHER THINGS WITH US!!!

With other vehicles insured by youi, I called to insure a car in my name following the recent death of my father. The guy on the other end looked at my File and asked if I wanted to insure a trailer. I responded that I was only looking to insure this car and the reasons why but he then went on to interrogate me about my house/contents insurance. I understand "Do you want fries with that?" but I did make it pretty clear that I had a single purpose and wanted to focus on that. I subsequently realised that I should have asked to speak to someone else, but did not at the time, because I just wanted to complete the transaction and move on. Pushy sales staff are a turn-off.

Insurance claim madeNo
You should never feel pushed & if that’s how it is, we definitely got it wrong. Sincere apologies, clearly we’ve got some improvements to make. Like all business, we do like to offer to quote on any other risks you may have, still if you’ve requested for us to move on this is what we should do. I’m keen to address your concerns, still I would need further info, please email robynf@youi.com with your policy details so I can see where we can improve. Look forward to hearing from you, Robyn.

Can't get online quote

All I wanted was to get a quote online to compare with existing and other potential insurers, but it doesn't wotk that way and you get phoned up and have to go through every detail. Fine if you are buying the policy, but not fine if you just want a quick quote!

Insurance claim madeNo
We understand time is precious in today’s busy life, thanks for giving us a go. Sometimes online quotes are possible while at other times we do call & we attempt to warn you of our process before completing the quote. Our tailored quotes work well for many, however we don't win them all, sorry to hear we didn't win you. If you have any queries get in touch at robynf@youi.com & I’ll give you a bell. Robyn.

I have changed back to my previous insurance company

Even though it seemed a good idea to get insurance through Youi at the time I have since found out that things I have to pay extra for are available as standard on my previous insurer for my previous car . I have also found it cheaper in the premiums than Youi. I have saved about $25 a fortnight by changing back. Sorry Youi but you are NOT the competitive company you say you are in the ads.

overly enthusiastic staff

having just returned from a 3.5 month holiday in 9 European countries, hiking, kayaking, skiing and dancing, drinking, i was told by the young DUDE that i was boring,,,,,, because i hadnt planned anything for my weekend!!

Insurance claim madeNo
Wow Shayne, great example of why we shouldn’t make assumptions! I’m sorry for the experience & would like to review this call, please message me the quote number or mobile you used & I’ll track it down. Cheers Josh

Direct Debit or Nothing

Spoke to a nice lady regarding changing my car policy. Prior to finalising and getting a quote I was informed I had to pay the new and future premiums by "Direct Debit" I said I could pay by Bill Pay or Bank transfer not Direct Debit. As a consequence we could not do business. Pity I was not told this before I wasted about a half hour. This is the first time I have been refused goods or services because of the way I wish to pay. I think a refusal like this would be found illegal, it is certainly a poor business practice.

Insurance claim madeNo
G’day Bazza, I’m sorry we didn’t have your preferred method of payment. It’s true we have direct debit which can be from either bank account or credit card. We choose these methods as other forms can be costly which in turn can raise premiums. Thanks for your feedback & I’m sorry we couldn’t be on the same page this time, cheers Koppo.Thanks Koppo, I am personally unaware of additional charges for the financial services (Bill Pay and Bank Transfer) you will not accept. As that is the way you do your business I suggest you tell potential customers before wasting their time.Thanks Bazza, noted, sorry to waste your time this time, Cheers for your input. Koppo

The amount of time you spend talking is just totally unacceptable.

Look nice lady but in total, over an hour and half, answering the same questions over and over again, as I was interested in 3 vehicles. They almost seam happy to WASTE your time.
I still also do not know, if like AMMI, I have a rating 1 for life?
They need to make the process much more simple and stop wasting peoples time.

Youi variable

Despite Youi wanting to let the world know about potential savings ,they do not even try to lower any policy that comes in way above other insurers . No mention of this is given in their feedback questions. Full disclosure , please !

Insurance claim madeNo
Sometimes we are beaten in price by other companies, this is because everyone will assess risk differently & charge different amounts for it. Sadly, we don’t price match as this is what we believe the risk is worth, still I’d like to find out how far off we were. Please message me your details & I’ll be in touch. Cheers Josh

youi or whoi

Easy to deal with at the time of taking money. Havnt experienced dealing with a claim.
Always easy to set up. Hopefully as easy to claim.
Great service again my turn to pay,. Youi asked me to review when I paid policy. Will they ask me to review if I claim? Time will tell.

Insurance claim madeNo
Good Morning hopefull & thank you for posting. Awesome service is what we strive for & this is far more than great service when you’re paying your premium. We strive for a quick turn around time on your assessment & repairs to ensure you are back on the road as soon as possible. If you lodge a claim, we’ll ask you how we went. Wedo this to keep on track & to make improvements along the way. We always welcome feedback hopefull & looking forward to more from you :) ~ CamCam I havnt had a claim from any insurance for more than 30 years. I have read about claims from your posts,. you asked me to comment. I only go by what I have read. Your sales are well respected your claims stink. You asked I answered. Hopefull.I hear what you’re saying Hopefull. I appreciate your comments & I hope you enjoy your stay with Youi. ~ Cam

Impressive at the start disappointing later

Someone run into my car in front of my house while parked ( I am 100 % NOT AT FAULT) luckily I wasn't inside the car at the time.
My car was written off, the claim process with YOUI went very smooth and full credit to them it was impressive.
However when insuring my new car again with YOUI the premium went above by 300 % even though conditions didn't change, that is not fair..

Insurance claim madeYes
Thanks for talking with me earlier Hayrullah & I sorry to hear of your tough time recently. I’m glad we made it on service at the start, not so good we couldn’t come up trumps with the new car :( We measure risk depending on, among other things, the costs to repair particular models, age of drivers which can cause premium fluctuations. I appreciate your feedback & if there’s anything else I can do for you I’m only a phone call away :) Robyn.

Have difficulty with opening the attachments from my policy!

I did phone again and hopefully I will get another email :) !!!! I am wrinting no more words, the problem is my older computer :) Have a good day !

Insurance claim madeNo
Thanks for taking my call Marja, I’ve sent the document, this time direct from my email so now I’m hoping you can open it? Please let me know how you go. Cheers, JeremyYes, I can see the document now! Thank you, Jeremy

Always good to get another quote

Thought i could have been offered a better rate as i have 4 other policies with YOUI. Customer support was fine and policy set up was ok. Will still review all of my current insurances to see if i am getting great value or not for insurance services that i have with YOUI.