Youi Car Insurance
4.2 from 5,903 reviews

Can't get an online quote - they call you without warning

All I wanted was an online quote. Without clearly disclosing the fact ahead of time, they send a pin to your mobile and once you enter it back in to the web page you are told to get ready for a phone call to complete the process. (I did go back to the web site and check. If you hover over the "Start a Quote" button a hint is displayed stating that they will call you. But if you click quickly it is unreadable).

In spite of the fact the agent says it's all about personal service, there was nothing she asked that I could not have entered in a web form. It was more about pushing through the process with reading out blocks of legal jargon in order to get you closer to the point of signing up.

So,
* it took much longer than I was prepared for.
* I had to unexpectedly talk on the phone at an inconvenient time.
* I even got put on hold at the end while the magic number was calculated (by that stage the number was going to have to be really, really good before I switched from my existing insurer)
* The end price was double what I am paying now! I actually laughed out loud when the agent excitedly told me the premium.

The agent seemed nice. It's not her fault. But still, the worst experience trying to get a quote I've had in 30 years of insuring vehicles.

Five minutes later my niece walked through the door. I say I'm writing a bad review of Youi insurance. She says, "Youi? What did you try them for? They are terrible...." Ahhh, a day that started out with so much potential...

Insurance TypeThird Party Property Damage
Plan covers drivers under 25Yes
Book AgainNo
We understand a phone call is not for everyone Steve. The idea behind it is to make a connection. We feel, by having a conversation, asking more questions, allowing you to ask us questions, there will be higher chance we’ll meet expectations if there is a claim. Not everyone knows all about insurance & not everyone understands the PDS & how it relates to a claim so we provide that personal service. The premium based on risk, calculated depending on how you answered the questions so if we’re double the premium, it shows that we must be calculating that differently to your current insurer. We’re humans dealing with other humans in an otherwise contactless transaction. By calling we get an opportunity to prove that we’re good people who’ll be able to help if ever it’s needed. In saying that, if we need to change because our market is telling us to, then we will. Thanks for commenting Steve, I completely understand where you’re coming from & I apologise we were intrusive. If you have more to say, have any questions, or if you need my help, my direct line is 0731563531 - Jeremy

Beware of YOUI and the 'real like fake people adverts'!

Beware of YOUI be extremely cautious of optional extras like rental car hire and roadside assist!!! it's a rip off!!

I have a comprehensive Cover, with 24/7 roadside assist & car rental cover.
My car broke down on road, called youi for roadside assist, I was told is not covered, since it is not an accident or battery flat.
I had to get Repco tow service to move my car to the repairer.
Then I called back YOUI to avail car rental, for which I had being paying additional premium, since my car is undrivable and under repair, youi then said it is not covered, once again I as told the car rental is not covered since it's not an accident!!
The roadside assist and car rental options which is over $200 additional that I was paying was for nothing and useless. This is a scam and unethical code of conduct, the advertised line at the time of purchase does not say the what you get to know at the time of emergency! Be very careful with this company called YOUI!! Will never ever recommend Youi to anyone ever!
Have cancelled my policy for this dubious and worst misleading company that rips off people's money.

Car ModelBMW 3 Series
Book AgainNo

You only get an online sales quote if you talk to a sales person direct

When you go online and enter your details, the only way to get a quote is to get a call back on your mobile. You don't get any cost details to go through up front. This is not explained at the start of the quite intensive information gathering process on the form. Beware!

Book AgainNo
By calling we have an opportunity to explain details about our cover so you can decide how it works for you. It’s a more personalised service we offer as our quotes are detailed, though I completely understand preferences differ. We let you know you might receive a call in the scripting you accept to continue Karin, I apologise it’s caught you off guard. Your feedback is valued & if you’d like to discuss, I’m here to help. My email is laurenj@youi.com - Lauren

Yuoi is selective on who they insure

Youi should be called Choosi as they only accept clients that are easy to insure. If you are in business or in my case a farmer they wont agree to insure you. No wonder they can offer cheap insurance because they seek out clients that dont drive much and so manufacture a low risk strategy to themselves.
I am not impressed by them at all.

Plan covers drivers under 25No
Car ModelMitsubishi Triton ML (2006-2009)
I’m sorry if we were unable to provide you cover Bob. You’re quite right, our underwriting guidelines are there to limit our exposure to risk & while we will have our own thresholds, it’s not an unusual insurance strategy. Often there’s an accumulation of risk factors that build to a point that’s outside our underwriting guidelines, there might be more to this than just the farm business use. I’m keen to help, my direct line is 0731563531 & my email jeremyb@youi.com so if you can make contact, I’ll do all I can, even if just to answer your questions – Jeremy

Buyer beware: Premiums jumped from $126 to $201 per month after the first year

Our car was originally insured by Youi for $126 per month. Was told it would go up to $144, it then was increased to $176 on renewal then jumped to 201 when I changed my address (we moved 2 streets away).

Lucky, I'm now with AAMI and if they pull the same trick I won't be with them for long either.

Car ModelMazda 3
Book AgainNo
Any price increase, be it at renewal or a change to the policy is not something to be pleased about Chris. On renewal we review the risk, if there’s claims history, late payments, or we have new statistical data, the premium can increase. Then, if you make a change, like your address, your commute, the storage of your car, they can all impact the risk which goes to calculate the premium. Still, we need to provide you with accurate information & if we told you the renewal was one thing, you didn’t change anything & then it was higher, that should not happen! I’m keen to learn more about what we told you & to offer you my help. My direct line is 0731563531 & my email jeremyb@youi.com so I hope you can help us more than you already have – Jeremy

Terrible

We signed up for a B&C insurance last year, as they offered cover for AirBnB, which we wanted to try out. Very expensive by comparison to our previous insurance, but we couldn't find any other.
A month before renewal they emailed a lot of documents, which I must admit I didn't read properly, because we knew we wouldn't use them again (no more AirBnB). Normally, I get they renewal offers from the insurances and then I make up my mind whether I stay with them or not. If I decide to stay with them I pay otherwise I find another one. Easy!
Little did I know, that YOUI doesn't ask for permission to deduct the premium! No email was sent informing us of the renewal (and deduction!)!
5 weeks later my next CC statement arrives and I finally realize that they took the liberty to deduct the premium. That in itself I consider a violation of my right to choose.(Remember 'competition'... free market?)
If they would have just repaid the money when I called to rectify this, fine. BUT on top, they are charging us for the period plus a cancellation fee (never wanted the insurance for a second time!). If this isn't treating customers badly, then I don't know!
I feel violated by them accessing my CC, I feel cheated out of my right to choose (without lengthy 'good byes') and I feel outraged by their impudence to charge me for the period. Seriously bad customer service - on top of everything else.
So, buyer beware, stay clear of youi, their lies and cheating ways!

Insurance claim madeNo
It’s true, we auto renew if we haven’t heard otherwise & we let you know this in the recorded call, docs sent & remind you once more in the renewal advise emailed prior to the due date. With the busy lives we lead, differences between companies & your mention that you hadn’t properly read through the docs sent, I can see how the renewal could have been missed & I’m sorry to see you’re in this situation. The choice is always yours & you have the opportunity to let us know you’re not wanting to continue if the renewal offer doesn’t work for you. Price all comes down to risk & this is calculated differently between Insurers, still, we aim to remain competitive where possible. With no request to cancel, we’ve continued to provide the insurance which comes at a cost. By cancelling mid-term a fee of up to $33 is retained from any refunds owing & the remainder of unused premium would then be returned. Your feedback is important to me & I’d like to see if I can help. Please email me your policy number/details & I’ll call to discuss. Thanks, Lauren, laurenj@youi.com.

What a joke

customer service is a joke rude and unprofessional, cheap yeah not really BUT repairers they use total disaster! Never again I’d rather pay the $60 difference and have peace of mind and no arrogance or headaches if I need to make a claim! cheap my back side only $60 between them and QBE

Insurance claim madeYes
I’m sorry to hear of your experience Nikki. We provide a quality guarantee on the repairs we authorise & pride ourselves on our customer service, so I’d like to investigate further. Please message me your policy or claim number & I’ll take a look. Regards Michelle

Professional advertising, unprofessional motor vehicle repairs

My first time to insure with YOUI. What an experience. The advertising sounds great but you must remember when you take out motor vehicle insurance, its not about a small man running around telling you how much you are going to save - Its about the quality of service you are going to receive when that time comes and you have to claim!
My situation - My Honda required a new front spoiler resprayed and fitted. Simple repair. First off YOUI send me to a repairer way over on the other side of town, not a good idea. The vehicle was repaired promptly, and thats when I suspected a poor job. Further investigation found that the front spoiler was actually painted the wrong colour, and also the fitment of the spoiler was not correct. The LH side had a large gap due to incorrect fitment, against the front LH guard. Even my partner noticed it.
Here is the big question you have to ask - Why did the repairer, a YOUI repairer release the vehicle in such a poor state. I called YOUI and advised that I wanted it corrected. Returning the vehicle to the same repairer on the other side of town, and yes wasting my time, as this repair should have been done correctly the first time.
Fixed right this time, and the correct colour match.
Its not what you save - its the professionalism of the repair.
I have not re insured with YOUI .

Insurance claim madeYes
Sorry to hear that you weren’t happy with the repairer’s location or the repairs. An important part of our selection process for our repairers is based on your feedback. I’m happy to hear your car was rectified, we do have a quality guarantee for the repairs as long as you own the car. I would like to see if I can help & learn more from your experience. Can you please PM your details so I can review your claim. Thanks Greer.

Terrible, not good customer service, don't have good qualified repairers

The first year we got a great discount to get us as clients. Very BAD if you have a claim regardless of whose fault it is!!! We had a claim that other party was at fault. Sent us to some dodgy car repairer, Capital S.M.A.R.T Repairs Preston. Had to return the car 3 times to fix it properly and finally when we realized they cannot fix the car, we requested to go somewhere else to which they reluctantly agreed.
The second year they doubled the price, couldn't match any other lower genuine quote, after which we were forced to switch to another insurance, APIA. We re still with APIA.

Insurance claim madeYes
I’m sorry to hear about your experience Marianna, we guarantee all repairs we do & have a lot of faith in our providers, so I’d like to investigate this further. I’d also like to review the renewal we offered as it is unusual for the premium to double, even if there was a claim on the policy. Please message me the policy number & I’ll take a look. Cheers Josh

Online Quote Unobtainable

Answered all of the questions online to obtain quote only to get a message at the end saying "It's best we talk". Tried it again with a different car, received the same message. The whole point of obtaining an online quote is because I don't want to talk on the phone. I'll stick with my current insurer for which I obtained a quote & sign up all online.

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi Eru, I get chatting on the phone & starting an online quote isn’t your cup of tea. We do things a little differently here & in a crowded insurance market this is a point of difference. We prefer to speak over the phone this way we can tailor a quote to your needs. Again, I get it & that’s OK, still thanks for giving us a go & for your feedback today, cheers Koppo.

Don't use online quote.

You have to answer all questions online then they call you and ask you exactly the same questions which you have already answered.
It took 20 minutes to just get a quote!
And the quote was 75% expensive than the existing one.
I wasted my time. Never use YOUI!

Insurance claim madeNo
We do prefer to call, giving you the opportunity to ask Q’s & discuss cover. We aim to put you in the best position to decide if it works for you, ensuring you’re comfortable with the product & services we offer. The Q’s reconfirmed & asked help build your risk profile so it’s essential we have the right info as price is dependent on risk. It’s a shame to hear we weren’t as sharp as you’d hoped Mr Q, we do our best to keep costs low, yet, understandably we won’t save for all in such a competitive market. Still, we’re grateful for the opportunity & your time spent. If you’d like to discuss further please email me your details & I’ll call, laurenj@youi.com – Lauren.

Marketing Trap!

I tried to get a car insurance quote from Youi, after asking questions online, unlike other providers which provide a quote online, Youi gives you no choice other than providing your number. Straightaway you will receive a call (and they won't ask what is the appropriate time for you to talk!! and how long it takes) and then a salesperson starts asking wide range of questions which many of them are personal and totally irrelevant to a simple car insurance quote. He repeated the options several times whereas since the beginning I told him I am looking for a price matching on my current comprehensive option including windscreen repair and car hire. At the end, he put me on hold and in return gave me a quote price over twice as I have been offered by my current insurer. This is an inappropriate way of trapping people to provide all their personal information and try to sell an expensive product over the phone. I thought to give Youi a go after seeing the high rate in Product Review but it was a total unpleasant experience, wasting time and energy.

Insurance claim madeNo
We do ask a few more questions Alex, this is to get to know you & your situation better which generally can save you $$. Calling adds the human touch & allows you to ask any questions you may have, still we understand this approach may not be for all but generally we get a great response from calling. Sadly we’re not always going to be the cheapest as all companies will rate risk differently & charge different prices for it. I’m sorry we weren’t more competitive for you Alex, but we’re grateful you gave us a go. Cheers Josh

Policy Cancellation Fee

Not Impressed Youi Insurance. I have 6 policies with Youi Insurance and you charge me a $33 cancellation fee because I cancel one of my Policies due to selling the insured item. Totally unacceptable and I will be taking my business elsewhere for the remaining 5 policies!

Astronomical premium quote

I wouldn't normally write a review about a product I haven't purchased, but the quote I got earlier today from Youi for car insurance was just so crazy that I want to save anyone from taking out insurance with them before making at least a few comparisons. These guys claim to have your interests at heart but, when it comes to the annual premium, they certainly don't!

It was time for my annual ring around as my car insurance is due for renewal in a few weeks' time (and my current insurer's premiums seem to creep up each year). This year I included Youi due to their persistent advertising on TV promising lower premiums if your car is garaged for most of the week, "we get you", etc. I was stunned to be quoted $1144 with a $400 excess to insure my Mazda 3 2012 hatch - almost double or triple that of the others who quoted me, eg. SGIO $343, QBE $638, AAMI $443, RAC $734, GIO $491. All these other quotes were for the same agreed value and similar excess. The salesman (who annoyingly had phoned me when all I wanted was an online quote) also seemed surprised by the price differential and told me it must be because I live in an area which has been assessed to have a higher risk (Perth's western suburbs), which is rubbish. As I'm in my 60's, have never had any at fault claims, car is always garaged, and drive a very low annual mileage, I assume this astronomical premium quote was just Youi trying it on to see if I'd done my homework. I'm sure a lot of people just go with the first quote they're given and don't shop around, and it appears that Youi preys on their ignorance.

Ultimately I decided to stick with my current insurer with whom I have a $0 excess for $563.

Insurance claim madeNo
I’m sorry if our quote came as a shock Arcadia10! We calculate the premium based on risk, for there to be such a difference, it not only shows that insurers use different methods but also, as you’ve stated, it’s worth shopping around. It’s a fine line, we’re keen to win your business in a very competitive market, at the same time, we need to be profitable enough to pay claims, all with a high level of service. I’m sorry if by calling we annoyed you, especially since the premium was higher. For fear of wasting more of your time, I’d be keen to look at your quote, to help, even if only to provide you with a more details explanation? My number is 0731563531. - JeremyThanks for your offer, Jeremy, but you've already had your chance to provide me with an acceptable quote. The fact that you're now offering to try to reduce the premium to win my business appears to bear out what I said in my review about Youi trying it on with a ridiculously high initial quote, hoping that the poor dumb customer hasn't shopped around first. Coming back for a second attempt adds insult to injury. In addition, I've read enough negative reviews on this site to put me off Youi forever. I think your policy of automatically deducting annual premiums without first asking the policyholder if they wish to renew is unethical, as is your practice of charging a policy cancellation fee. To my knowledge, none of the other car insurers I phoned do this. People must be mad, ignorant or completely misinformed to insure with Youi!An error crept in to one of the figures provided above for a competitor's quote - and I can't edit my review now that a company official has responded to my original post. The figure the RAC quoted for the same agreed value and similar excess was $353. The $734 quoted by the RAC was for a $0 excess.

Extremely Rude Consultant

I have been with You for many years now and phoned the other day to change my address and policy to my new car. I was amazed at the high cost of transfer.
Yesterday I phoned to cancel my policy as got really great insurance from another company
The consultant rated You on time it took to get my call answered. That is not what insurance is about. This English speaking consultant was very curt and did not really want to help me. His total demeanor changed when I wanted to cancel my policy, which is a shame as others I have spoken to were friendly in tone of voice.
AT ENDBOF CALL HE CUT ME OFF MID TALKING AND YOU COULD HEAR THE LOUD CLUNK AS HE OBVIOUSLY SLAMMED HIS PHONE DOWN.
You you need to deal with this attitude of this consultant....not a good look for your company

Insurance claim madeNo
I’m sorry to hear about your experience Zoe, I’s certainly not the service we expect you to receive. I’d like to investigate this further, please message me your policy number & I’ll have a listen. Cheers Josh

Useless don’t do it

I got a quote with youi but not only were they more than any other company the wouldnt insure me as I live within 3,000,000,000kms of the beach.

Insurance claim madeNo
Sometime we win them, sometimes we lose them Jonnii, I’m sorry we weren’t more competitive for you. It all comes down to risk, however the proximity you’ve given to the beach puzzles me, could you message me the quote number or mobile you used & I’ll take a look. Cheers Josh

Hope you have all day to get a quote

They call you back and ask so many questions you get tempted to just hang up. But I persevered only to get a more expensive quote. The consultant then went away and spoke to someone and gave me a better price but still not as good as I previously had. A total waste of time.

Insurance claim madeNo
The quote process is met to be simple & we understand time is precious in today’s busy life, thanks for giving us a go. We attempt to advise one of our Team will be calling before completing the quote on line, sorry for the surprise. Insurers will look at risk differently, hence why there is such a variance with the premiums, I'm sorry that we weren't competitive. If you’d welcome a call email robynf@youi.com & I’ll be in touch. Robyn.

In my view Youi car insurance is an online scam

After clicking Start a Quote on Youi website you will see 3 tabs, Car & Usage, Policy Holder and Quote. In the first 2 they will ask you for all your details and when you finally get to the 3rd one, you WILL NOT see the quote, instead they will call you and keep asking for more personal details that are not even relevant for the quote. They will also start to 'verify' you on the call even when they have called you (you did not call them) to get even more personal info.
I do not mind Youi to setup any process they wish to, but they should clearly spell it upfront and not mislead customers just to collect personal details.

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi Pav, I’m sorry you felt our online quote system was misrepresenting our intentions. Most of the time we do call, not always, it depends on the time & day of the week. When we call, the additional questions we ask are identifying questions & risk associated questions. Your personal information is protected so we verify who you are when we call, a stranger may pick up your phone or a wrong phone number was entered into the online quote & we don’t want to share the details you’ve already given us. I understand a call is not for everyone & I’m keen to answer any question you might have about storing and using your information, my direct line is 0731563531 - JeremyYou missed the point. Your website is misleading by naming the 3rd tab Quote whereas your website actually does not provide quote at all. As stated previously, have what ever process you want but state it upfront. Do not promise quote online if you do not have capability to provide it.I’m hearing you Pav. When we have “Start a quote” you’re feeling we should be clearer & state that we may need to call you before providing you with a priced quote, & we will need to call you before purchasing the policy. Your feedback is valued & I’m sorry if I didn’t acknowledge that part of your comment. I’m here if you would like to talk about it, you have my number – Jeremy

Dont bother with Youi unless you want to give yourself a headache.

I considered switching to Youi about 5 years ago when I bought a new car. I wanted to get a quote online but I was never given an amount after I filled in all the necessary info. Doing this, enabled their sales team to bombard me with phone calls. I got 17 missed calls in 3 hours. They were very aggressive in their sales approach which was annoying cause they bothered me while I was at work. I never called them back. If a company has to try this hard for a sale then their insurance is obviously crap.

After reading their PDS I noticed there were several exclusions on their comprehensive car insurance product. So if I decided to switch over to them and I made a claim I would be only covered basically for dents and scratches, not fire or theft, or even punctured tyres in the event of a car accident. If a company has to do so much advertising - PAY ATTENTION, they are trying to fool you. Go with a trusted and very reputable company and don’t choose Youi.

Insurance claim madeNo
I apologise MD2413, that is an excessive amount of calls, & while we still choose to call & finish off the quote to get to know you better & answer any questions, I can assure you we’ve learned a lot in the last 5 years & have processes in place to limit the amount of calls we make. As for the cover, I’m not sure what the reference is to dents & scratches covered only, depending on the cover selected there are many insured events covered with Fire & Theft included in our Comprehensive Cover & Third Party Fire & Theft Cover. I’m happy to go through the PDS with you, or here is a link to our current PDS for you to review: https://www.youi.com.au/GetPDS?riskType=VEH . Cheers JoshYoui left a bad impression on me and I would never consider you guys ever again! I don’t care how much your company has learnt, you don’t approach a sales opportunity like that EVER! I have extensive experience in sales and insurance so don’t try and educate me like I know nothing. You can’t pull the wool over my eyes like your company has done with several other people. Youi is disgraceful and deceitful. You all should be ashamed of yourselves.

These Reviews are Fake

Sorry, I haven't used this company but I wouldn't trust these reviews for a second. RAC & HBF have only between 20 to 100 reviews. How did Youi get 4000+ reviews then? I got suspicious when I saw that most the reviewers do not have facebook connections nor have made other reviews. They are all talking about outstanding customer service. Outstanding marketing don't you mean?

Insurance claim madeNo
Hey Lehanii, rest assured the reviews are very real, we welcome all feedback both good & bad as it helps us find out what works well & what could use a little work. We have technology in place that allows our customers to leave feedback on various sites/forums, this being one of them. We’re all about providing awesome service & this is a good way to keep in touch with our customers. If you’re curious & want to give us a shot, we’d love to look after you, or if you’d like to discuss, please give me a call on 07) 3852 7868. Thanks - Lauren