Claims of less water more meat simply aren't true

2 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 19, 2016

Something has changed in recent times....the 4 legs used to have more meat less water but the past 5 occasions I have bought the chicken pasta and vegie rolls they have been full of water and very 'spongy'.

Sad to see a good product ruined through cost savings (adding more water & less meat to recipe)

Comments
4Legs Official

Good Afternoon Sandrita Thank you for your email, we are sorry you have had to experience this with our product and can confirm that we have been adjusting our process in order to perfect the text... read more »

Melbourne

• 1 review
  • 1 comment
  • 2 answers
  • 1 helpful vote
Private message

Chicken Pasta with Vegies Chub

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 01, 2014

Purchased Chicken Pasta & Vegies 1.7kg Chub from Coles Supermarket, I found that the green dye in the packaging has leached into the food, can anyone tell me if this is harmful to My Dog ?
Is it normal for this to happen with plastic wrapping.
She seems to like it but I have to cut away and dispose of Green Tinged section.

+ My Dog seems to like it but I have to cut the Green section away before giving it to her...

- Green tinge seemingly from plastic wrap leeched into product...use by date is 06 October 2014

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
4Legs Official

Hi Barb45, The green tinge on the outside of the roll is actually very common and whilst in might appear to come from our packaging, we can assure that it doesn't. Our packaging is food safe and ... read more »

Thank you for your prompt response...will watch and observe my Dog.

Puppy Food - 3 Meats with Sweet Potato

i have a 6 month old ridgeback cross (unknown what with )she is 12 kilos how much puppy food should i feed her ?

Stella asked on Oct 17, 2017

Lamb, Coconut & Vegies

Hello, I haven't checked the other flavors but bought the lamb, coconut and rice flavour and have found it includes garlic (and has a yummy garlicky smell), but I thought garlic was bad for dogs? It looks like lots of experienced dog owners and a vet recommend this - can you comment on the garlic issue please? Thank you!

merryn asked on Sep 23, 2017

Answer this

Dear Merryn,

Thank you for getting in touch regarding your concerns about the inclusion of garlic in our dog food products.

There are a lot of different arguments both for and against feeding dog’s garlic is small doses. It is of course widely agreed that dogs shouldn't be fed large doses of garlic.
Our vet consultant, Dr Felicity Banks, has determined that the level of garlic used in our food is so low that a dog (big or small) would need to consume twice its own body weight of our food in one sitting before the level of garlic consumed would be of concern. In addition, over the 17 years that our product has been available, we have never had a health issue brought to us by a consumer that has turned about to be related to the garlic content of the food.

Regarding the why, Animal Nutritionist Jonathon Woodroofe has provided the following:
Dogs have been consuming small quantities of garlic as a component of table scraps since they first started associating with humans. In fact, a committee established by the US National Research Council to examine the safety of dietary supplementation of dogs, cats and horses with garlic and other supplements noted that garlic has a long history of safe use with dogs when consumed in small amounts. Garlic has been associated with a variety of health benefits including boosting the immune system, acting as an anti-hypertensive and acting as an anti-infective.
In addition, it contains a number of nutritional valuable compounds, such B vitamins and organic trace minerals. A small, carefully controlled, amount of garlic is used in some 4Legs products. It is, however, important to recognise that many foodstuffs which are beneficial in reasonable amounts can be harmful if consumed in excessive quantities. There have, for example, been cases of toxicity in humans caused by over-consumption of carrot juice (due to vitamin A poisoning). It is true that excessive quantities of garlic consumed on a regular basis can be harmful to dogs.
Much of the present concern about garlic stems from a research trial conducted in Japan involving eight dogs 1. Four of these dogs were fed garlic at a rate equivalent to feeding a 20kg dog 100 grams of garlic a day (i.e. the equivalent of around 15 to 20 cloves of garlic per dog per day). Feeding this amount of garlic led to the appearance of damaged red blood cells but even with this very large dose none of the dogs actually developed haemolytic anemia.
This information along with references is also available as an article on our helpdesk portal:
I've heard that garlic is harmful to dogs, so why is it in your dog food? - https://4legs.zendesk.com/entries/26512713

I hope you find this information helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

My dog's vet thinks my dog has developed sensitivity to a particular protein. After a few experiments and elimination, I have learned that her stomach works well with a bit of boiled chicken breast, rice, and carrots. This looks like a good alternative - just wondering if anyone has experienced this and which variant should I try?

Gracie asked on Aug 22, 2017

Answer this

Hi Gracie, if you would like to try 4Legs, we suggest that the ingredient list be supplied to your veterinarian who can then help you to make a decision on whether the food is suitable. A chicken variety would be the better choice in this instance, for example the Chicken Rice & Vege Meatball 900g tray. However, any dietary recommendation needs to be made by the attending vet. If you'd like more information regarding our ingredients, you can check out our Website at http://4legs.com.au/product/ or you can contact our Help Desk on [email protected] Cheers Christine & the 4Legs Team.

See all 38 questions about 4Legs Natural Dog Food

Your question will be specific to the model that you've selected.

Product Details

The main difference between these flavours is flavour