Worked for me

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 24, 2017

Have been 4 months cigarette free, this book made sense and made giving up a whole lot easier by making you think about smoking in a totally different way. Give it a try - what have you got to lose!!

The Miracle Book!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 18, 2017

I'm 27 years old and have been smoking 10 a day since I was 15. I honestly thought I would be trapped by cigarettes for the rest of my life. I truly believed they were my safety net for when I'm stressed, socialising, partying or just plain bored.

I had a very good friend who swore by the book for over a year to me, but it wasn't until I listened to the audio book for 2 1/2 straight days (when I could) that I realised it's true power! I have had the odd craving at random times throughout the last 3 months, but it has been so easy to get past
those moments.

The way that Allen Carr describes everything from the nicotine addiction to how to quit is nothing short of sorcery. The feeling of freedom from that horrible addiction has been liberating, not only for myself, but for people around me too. Having seen me quit, I now have several friends that have also followed suit. The book has changed me, my girlfriends and my friends lives.

Thank you Allen Carr!

Verified Purchase

No need for the book

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 05, 2016

I bought this book in an audio format after 3 days without smoking. I bought it with hopes that it would enlighten me with new information and instructions on how to stay a non-smoker for the rest of my life.

I did not start smoking until last year in college. Things were getting stressful and somebody offered me a cigarette to come down and relax. I was hooked in 2 days from 4 cigarettes. Having smoked for almost 30 years, on and off, I never really enjoyed it that much but did it because people around me were doing it through the 80's, a
nd never perceived myself as an addicted smoker, until someone pointed it out to me that that's who I was. That's when it really hit me and that is the image I did not want to be associated with.

After listening to the book for 2 days, I realized that Allen Carr was telling me nothing that I already didn't know from my previous research. I also realized that it will be strictly my will power not this book's guidance that will keep me a non-smoker. So, if you are expecting some miraculous eureka enlightenment that will totally transform you and make you stop smoking, don't bother buying the book, because it will not do that. What I would suggest instead, is....sit down and write out all the reasons why you smoke and all the reasons why you would want to quit. Then underline the most important reasons why you smoke and most important reasons why you want to quit. Then visualize yourself one year later as if you kept smoking because of that important reason to smoke. Then visualize yourself one year later as if you would have stopped smoking a year ago because of that important reason to stop smoking. Now, compare those two visions and decide which one you would prefer seeing your self in. Having done so, I now realize that smoking or being a smoker is a vision I did not want to see myself in the future, whether it be one day from now or ever. My important reasons to keep smoking vs' stopping were so stupid and immature in comparison to the reasons to stop that I could even believe that those reasons would come from me. I realized that reasons for smoking up until now did not represent who I am or how I perceive myself in my mind and the only way for me to move forward and be able to live with myself in the future is to get rid of that image of me smoking or a smoker.

Good Luck in what ever method or approach you use, but do try and help save yourself for the future.

Amazing !

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 30, 2016

having smoked 25 ciggies a day for 30 years, I knew I could never stop, thats is what Allen Carrs message unravelled for me, i was brainwashed into the fear of failure, fear of withdrawals, fear of life without them, i stopped smoking the second i finished the book, 7 days ago, my mindset is changed, when ive had a craving i know its not me wanting a smoke, i DONT want to smoke, its the nicotine monster trying to get fed, well im starving that critter, and right now as i write this he is desparately trying to get me to feed him, Thanks to Allen i will never feed him again .. Read it !!!!!!!!

Brisbane

• 1 comment
  • 2 helpful votes
Private message

Read this if you want to be a non-smoker. You have nothing to lose!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 26, 2016

I had spent 16 years as a smoker who had at least 20 to 30 cigarettes a day. Before I finished reading the book - I had only 2-3 pages left, I stopped smoking! I was so determined to quit smoking I thought I would read this first before trying Champix. I was not keen on taking Champix because of the high incidence of horrible side effects that happens when people take it.

After reading the book it only took me 4 days until I was free from having cravings. Now two years later I'm still not smoking and I don't ever want to. My fiance smokes an
d this does not entice me at all to put a cigarette in my mouth ever again.

I have read some reviews where people have said it hasn't worked for them but it has worked for some. I believe that with anything in life if you have no motivation to complete something, if you don't put your mind to achieving the goal and having the determination to succeed then obviously you are not going to succeed.

Reading this book will not get rid of your addiction unless you do the work on yourself. Quitting requires strength and this book gives a smoker the encouragement they need to completely succeed. I have known people who have quit and started again a month later or a year later. This won't happen to you if you read this book assuming you have the willpower to back it up.

I'm so happy I'm not a smoker anymore. I feel like I was never a smoker, ever, because I don't even have the slightest inclination to smoke during times I get stressed. When I smell the cigarette smoke from my partner I start to feel sick I need to leave the room that's how disgusted I feel about it now. This book has not worked for some people but it definitely worked for me and I am so glad it did.

Lismore

• 3 comments
  • 2 answers
  • 6 helpful votes
Private message

Infantile and very uninformative.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 12, 2016

I have read this book several times. It only addresses the myths we tell ourselves to justify our smoking. These can be all summed up in two pages of better books available and most of us know all of this anyway. As a long term smoker, there is nothing in it that I didn't already know and stress about daily. (We all hate smoking...No news there) Absolutely no help whatsoever in managing cravings or dealing with addictive driven behavior. In fact I found much of it non factual and/or out dated. The book relies totally on keeping up your own qui t party which often doesn't last long for most quitters.
If its supposed to be hypnotic, it wasn't.
There are better books and even free online resources out there now about managing addiction and accepting cravings or "Urge surfing" that make much more sense than just exclaiming "Yippee, I'm a non smoker"...........This wears pretty thin after an hour or two in my case.
I don't believe the success rate judged merely on money back guarantees or the amount of books sold. Failed quitters don't tend to report back. In fact they rarely fess up to failing even to get a refund. Its far too humiliating.
After reading the authors testimonial page on his website, I discovered most of the success stories had quit for 1 day or less. Some, 1 hour.
I'm not sure how that constitutes success, but gee, I can quit for 8 hours at once while trapped in the office on stormy days or merely going to bed for the night.
Yippee! I must be a success!

• 42 helpful votes

Terrible

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 29, 2015

My husband heard about this book from a friend and I hunted it down in the local bookshop. After reading it and sending me silly listening to the CD in the car, he quit for a whole five days. He then re-read it a few months later and stopped smoking for a month before starting again. Pity that unlike the authors seminars this book doesn't come with a money back guarantee.

+ That my husband actually read it.

- That it didn't work.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 1 review
  • 5 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 29, 2015

I have tried a few methods, have quit for a couple of years even in the past. Each time was hard and I always wished I could have just one. I finished this book a couple of weeks ago, and have not even thought about it. Allen approach is different, and it works. The guy frankly is a genius. And being an ex-smoker himself, it is not patronizing, doesn't use scare tactics and has geniune empathy for people that smoke ciggerettes. I wish I had read it twenty years ago.

+ It did what it said, I escaped from the smoking trap so easily - I even went to a party that night, all my friends were smoking and I didn't think about lighting up. It's been a few weeks now and I will never go back to it, and I'm very happy about that.

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 23 helpful votes

OK

3 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 29, 2015

I would be willing to give it another try and see how I go since Allen Carr has helped a lot of people. The book says that as soon as you finish it you will stop smoking, even if it takes you ten years to do it. I sat down by myself and read it all in one sitting. It made me want to quit and feel confident in making the decision to do it but I only lasted for a couple of days.

+ It was very informative about smoking and I felt that it made me understand my addiction a lot better.

- I followed what it said but I didn't succeed in giving up smoking.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes