Melbourne

• 17 answers
  • 32 helpful votes

Not so good in Australia

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 18, 2018

I have been an Amazon customer on their USA & UK sites for over 15 years. Never had one problem. I have used their AU site a few times and have run into problems 80% of the time. Damaged goods and misrepresentations. Amazon held back on publishing one of my product review warnings (to alert potential purchasers) until all of the the remaining stock had been sold first. They use Australia Post who are really rough with your goods in transit. I have had to return so many goods that were received damaged. Whilst with their Prime subscription service you get free shipping on select items, it is not worth it with the inconvenience caused in having to return damaged goods. Their marketplace sellers are not scrutinised and freely misrepresent the products they sell. I was excited about Amazon's arrival in Australia, but have been left disappointed. I would recommend shopping around before committing to purchase on their site. Cannot understand why they cannot follow their USA & UK level of service.

Severe logistical problems

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 07, 2018

Despite Amazon prime, I'm now having to drive to the depot to pick up my Amazon ordered product, because Amazon failed to coordinate delivery. Furthermore the tracking has disappeared and indactes I have not made an order. Customer service promised to contact the courier to arrange for delivery that was never attempted (despite receiving an email from Amazon that delivery failed) however having just spoken to the courier they have no record of such. Terrible service and I'm having to pick up my order myself. Too many loopholes, not sags or confident to order from Amazon again. I hope the product itself is better than the service.

Price comparison re- 2nd hand book

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 29, 2018

I found the book (paperback) required easily on both US and Oz sites.

The US had several pages of candidates ranging from US$5 through $US50+ / per item or so. There were 17 new and abt 150 2nd hand.

Oz had 3 items - 2 new - 1 not new (yet undefined) - at AU$70 /item - free delivery. The US site claimed on front page to ship to Australia. Yet when I got to US checkout was refused delivery as I expected. The range of product in Oz was limited with no 2nd hand options.

OZ Amazon has some catching up to do ....I would have paid say AU$20 for a fair condition 2nd hand copy.

Bathurst

Mixed results

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 10, 2018

I've had very mixed results purchasing from Amazon AU. My first few order were successful, good price and quick delivery, however this has changed rapidly, I've had an order that did not ship despite Amazon stating the item was "on its way", the item was never delivered, which resulted in a refund and recently I've ordered items that have taken several days for the order status to change from ordered to shipped, again despite the Amazon AU site stating the item would ship the next day, and this has been for items fulfilled by Amazon in Australia. I've also found that Amazon pricing isn't very competitive. For a company that sells itself as being a logistic power house, my experience hasn't been very impressive. I personally find eBay to be a better place for purchasing online, a wider variety of products, competitive pricing, accurate shipping and delivery information and more established.

Never Again

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 27, 2018

Recently used Amazon Au to buy a few DVD'S. Took my payment and card details then nothing. Logged back into my account shows no items purchased. Then after 2 weeks later my card shows a payment taken by Amazon AU. So I log back into my account shows no purchases. i will never purchase from them again..dodgy dodgy dodgy..

• 1 helpful vote
Private message

Now using Fastway to “deliver”, so expect to have to collect your order from a depot 30km away that’

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 15, 2018

Pricing on the website is not particularly competitive, but some items are cheaper here than elsewhere. But your chances of actually receiving anything you buy is small, as Fastway will either lose your parcel or not deliver it and force you to drive to their depot to collect it.

Private message

Extremely slow and only average prices

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 26, 2018

I signed up with Amazon and bought a product - Stone Benchtop Power Cleaner - from an Australian based company - that ships directly itself. It has been over a week and my purchased product is still not marked as dispatched. I emailed the company about this using the Amazon site and have had zero reply after more than 3 business days. Not even sure what has happened. No communication from the company at all. Will not be using Amazon again, first and last time. Will be returning to my usual reliable site of eBay from now on where I have never experienced these sorts of delays or issues.

Not The Best Prices!

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 24, 2018

Too expensive. Everything i looked at was far more expensive on Amazon.com.au than just about any other online retailer i compared it to. I thought Amazon were 'supposed' to be the best prices online. No, it seems the opposite here in Australia. I would buy products from there if (if) they were cheaper, but again, i am yet to find that product that is! Maybe over the years it will get better - maybe.

Melbourne

• 7 helpful votes

Overpriced

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 22, 2018

Was looking for a Rega turntable speed regulator motor. Amazon’s price was up to $1200. Brought a new one from a Melbourne audio specialist store for $450. Have used the USA and UK stores before and found them fantastic. Since we are now limited to the Australian site only it has been very disappointing. Have even deleted their app now as I won’t use Amazon Australia

Australian Sticks With Amazon USA

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 11, 2018

I'll be objective and start by saying that I shop a lot on Amazon and have done for a fair while now, but I speak of Amazon USA not the new Aussie one. There's a reason why and that is the range, designer labels and price, even when converted to AUD is about 40% cheaper than here. I'll state also here I have no vested interest in speaking about any retail outlet, so I write this unbiasedly.
To go shop in the USA whether it be Amazon or any store over there who doesn't ship Internationally firstly you need an address there, secondly you need a forwarding company. The forwarding company gives you a suite in their premises with a number and you use their US address, hence any US store will ship it to there, forwarding company handle the paperwork, GST and put it on airfreight for you at a competitive rate and down it comes.

When I first started buying my stuff in the States which I did because the prices and simply because the brands, styles, sizes, choices etc just are not available here because of the cost to retailers to ship down the Australia.

Forwarding I used firstly (I still have a suite there) was MyUS in Sarasota FL but I switched to USGoBuy in Portland OR, who allow me to consolidate for 60 days. I can purchase things I want from all over America and when I've got a load they put everything in my suite in one box instead of sending them one by one and saves me heaps in shipping and airfreight, you have a choice of economy (8-12 days shipping time) through to priority (3-5 days) but that costs.
I have all my goods from Amazon USA shipped directly to Portland and most times it's free shipping to Oregon anyway.

In summary; I think Amazon here has a long way to go and they may improve as time goes on only time will tell, However the difference between Amazon (Australia) at this time and Amazon (USA) is a very LONG country mile and interspersed with pure daylight, so my Amazon shopping for the foreseeable future will remain in the United States of America.

Perth

Unfair

2 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 29, 2018

I brought blouse from Amazon Australia when it didn't fit I had to send it back to Amazon USA cost more than half the cost of the refund Amazon was at fault as there size guide was not correct

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 59 comments
  • 1 question
  • 36 answers
  • 68 helpful votes

Verified Customer

Ok price but slow delivery

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 29, 2018

Found they had a blood pressure monitor for $35 less than Harvey Norman and shipped via Australia post, so decided to order online.

However communication was non existent. They only sent the thing on the day they had promised it would be delivered.

Bloody not good enough, they are a joke. Ebay sellers are far more reliable.

• 6 helpful votes

More than DOUBLE USA AMAZON payed for item at Aus Amazon

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 09, 2018

Old gringo cowboy boots would be considered a luxury item by any standard. They're my achilles heel - i so love them, i have 5 pairs. Amazon USA was my go-2 online store to purchase these; they cost $300-$550 with freight usually around $20! AMAZON AUS have a tiny crap selection of Old Gringo and are charging $1200 a pair. Jesus wept and so did I. i honestly expected nothing less than outrageous prices compared to US Amazon

I have had the Amazon USA account for 15 years and truly, i feel like i have been dropped like a bag of trash. I didn't count the $’s i have spent with them, but i was happy to pay because of the most incredible selection of goods on earth. Not to mention the great freight costs. Aus Amazon WILL NEVER STOCK 1% of the variety of merchandise the US company has. The world outside aus was always there yet aus stores have had virtually no selection of products for years. Amazon Aus will be no different.

6 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 2 helpful votes
Private message

Essential to understand terms and conditions

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 22, 2018

I bought online. Make certain to read the Terms and Conditions. I was attracted by an emblazoned ad for 10% off. That particular ad has now disappeared but there are others similar online now. I did not get any discount. Seems I had to spend just under $80 (my order was $65). My second purchase was $56.90, same problem but ALSO would not have qualified if it was over the $79. Reason - “items should be sold and fulfilled by Amazon”. My purchase was from Amazon. com. au, the supplier is number 4 in Amazon.com.au top sellers, but NOT considered as being fulfilled by Amazon. Buyer BEWARE.

Drouin

• 4 comments
  • 10 helpful votes
Private message

Disappointed, will never use again.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 19, 2018

I ordered 2 items which were both 'in stock' last Thursday. Today is Tuesday and my order is still awaiting shipment. This is the 2nd time I have experienced this long wait for an order from Amazon AUS and I will not use them again.
I have never experienced any delivery issues with the e ?Amazon USA site, so why is the local Amazon such a disgrac
Stay away, their service is appalling.

8 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 2 comments
  • 6 helpful votes

Prices to expensive

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 18, 2018

Brought a dress on ebay for $10.00 Amazon wanted $40.00 for exactly same dress. What's with their high prices. Amazon if you want us to buy from you bring your prices down to a level the average Australian can afford.

6 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 3 comments
  • 28 helpful votes
Private message

Too many weird pricing anomalies - $418.51 + $117.41 delivery for some mechanical lead pencils - ser

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 18, 2018

What is going on, Amazon Australia? I have been using the US site for years (and sometimes the U.K. site). Amazon Australia is a disappointment. Here is what I dislike about the Australian version:
- full of pricing anomalies. e.g $17,574.49 for a paperback book. Why is this? Are prices set automatically by an algorithm? If so, it's a pretty crappy algorithm. I've turned one click ordering off, imagine what an accidental click would do to my credit card balance! If you don't believe me, search for a product, then change the display order to 'price high to low'. Maybe they'll fix this soon?
- I miss having a wish list. It was nice to be able to keep track of things I liked.
- I miss being able to access the reviews on the American site. I will often copy and paste to the American site just to read the reviews for a product that I am interested in.
- I used to be able to browse for books that I liked. The American site was quite good at predicting my tastes and I often happily explained that "I hated Amazon" because of all the good books it was tempting me with. I'm saving a lot of money using the Australian site because not only is it quite poor at predicting my tastes, it's also full of rubbish books. Dear Amazon, I am not tempted by $2 deals - I am tempted by quality books even if they cost more.
I hope that as the site matures these things are ironed out.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Private message

why is amazon australia more than ten times the price of amazon us?

2 out of 5, reviewed on May 13, 2018

heartfelt creations paper pad is $24 in usa and $274 in australia, this is why people were still buying from usa, now not many products will ship from usa to aus, so pay a ripoff price or source from somewhere else.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 11 helpful votes

amazon.com.au needs improvement

2 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 07, 2018

I love US amazon.com which is what the Australian amazon.com.au should be like but isn't. It seems as though the AU version just took the name and threw away everything that makes Amazon so successful. At least the eBooks are good to purchase on the AU site because the prices aren't competitive at all in regards to anything else! I compared some of the tech I bought from the US site vs AU and the US Amazon turned out cheaper including delivery and exchange rate. I know amazon.com.au is still in its infancy stage but seriously, I doubt they'll last long if they can't match or beat the prices offered by my local shop and other online stores Australian based or otherwise. Disappointing.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 17 comments
  • 4 questions
  • 2 answers
  • 13 helpful votes

AMAZON AU” review

2 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 29, 2018

I ordered two items of amazon au a week ago and asked to cancel my order as requested and havint got my refund yet sellers are being annoying! Waiting for amz to refund me money
But I ordered a 10 lan cable of a seller 2 weeks ago it’s okay and got messege from seller saying Here is AMZ's answer,please check the photo attached.
!!!!