Tyabb, Victoria

• 5 answers
  • 8 helpful votes
Private message

Acceptance can be poor but good rewards.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 11, 2017

I am an Australian resident. I have had this card since 1977. It is a "no annual fee card", as that was the way it was issued back then and I have since rejected all the Amex offers to upgrade the card because that involves new terms & conditions, some of which are to my benefit whilst others are not. It is used as my "primary" card.
The card has an interest free period for purchases (55 days?).
In Australia the card is quite useable in the city and suburban areas, but it has nowhere near the acceptability of other cards such as Mastercard or Visa. Often business want to charge a surcharge for its use, however I tend not to shop at places that surcharge or do not accept Amex. It is accepted (without surcharge) at most fuel stations, department stores, and supermarkets, as well as hotels and motels in the major cities and suburban areas. In country areas. other than the major chain supermarkets and fuel stations, hotels & motels, the card is most often not accepted. It is often accepted on-line, and can be linked to your PayPal account for all your local and overseas purchases.
Why do I persevere with the card? The only reason is that it is free, and, offers a great loyalty rewards programme where the points do not expire, and the points are very useable as they can be exchanged for store vouchers, products or even payment on your account, as well as travel. However you must have an alternative Mastercard or similar if you do want to avoid payments in cash.
I also use the card overseas purchases and payments when travelling. However there is a 2.5% transaction fee where the transaction is not in your home currency but the exchange rate used for conversion is reasonable.

It is a card that you should pay off in full each month or have the draconian 20% interest charge applied, so watch it if you are travelling and outside your usual "comfort" zone. Customer service is via overseas call centres. I have found them helpful and cooperative, even when I have neglected to pay my account by the due date and have had the 20% interest applied, which they have always reversed, (but it has only happened about 4 times).

Disgusting customer service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 10, 2017

Over 7 weeks ago I accidentally overpaid my Amex Gold card by almost $900. I have been waiting ever since for a refund and have called them more than once. I kept being told that it's being processed.
THIS IS NOT OK!!!!!!

• 2 answers
  • 71 helpful votes

Free Credit Card, but limited use

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 18, 2012

Apesma offer AMEX Gold card with no fees. Overall it is exactly what I wanted, a card that costs nothing if you pay every month and is there when needed for things like hotels, travel and car hire. I avoid using it online unless I trust the website to avoid fraud. It is not accepted in most places in Australia and often the trader charges extra, typically 2-3% and up to 4%, so we don't use it much and pay it off every month.

+ Free, handy for hotels, car hire and travel.

- Not accepted at most shops, many that do charge extra 2-4% so not that useful.

• 1 answer
  • 10 helpful votes
Private message

unacceptable frequency of credit rating checks

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 27, 2012

Have been with american express for over 12 years and am deemed by american express as customer excellent credit rating. Following a recent request to view my credit rating found nearly 70% of of checks was made by american express not annually but monthly. Suggest all those with amex Cards ask for a copy of their credit rating as they may be shocked to find it is filled up by AMEX Equiries monthly. not like other card issuers and banks being 6-12 monthly checks. be aware

+ card usage was good

- excesive credit rating checks other card check every 6 months

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 53 answers
  • 126 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 11, 2012

this was a bit of a waste of my time and after two or three months I decided to give up this card mostly because shop keepers and businesses really hated you to pay with an amex card and often either asked you for an alternative card or they said that they would charge you a high fee if you used it for your purchase

+ it is a nice colour - good for travel

- very few merchants were keen to take this card without charging you a premium for the cnvenience of using it - this card has a bad reputation among merchants.

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Castle Hill, NSW

• 34 answers
  • 92 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 11, 2012

In doing our homework, my wife and I have found that unless you pay out your credit card balance at the end of every month, points never make up for the low interest of non-points credit cards such as the 12% St George or Aussie cards.

+ The spend limit on the card is quite generous, as is the rewards program and the points given per dollar spent. Booklets are posted on a regular basis inviting you to participate in partner rewards programs and bonus rewards purchases, as well as showing what can be bought for specific points balances. If you pay out your balance every month, this may just be the card for you.

- The interest rate is horrific! On a balance of $19,500 you'll pay a staggering $500 per month just in interest. If you are late with your monthly payment you'll get a reminder phone call from Malaysia or the Phillipines and then you'll be stepped up to a penalty interest rate. This penalty interest rate can only be reduced if you don't miss a payment deadline for a number of months (I think 6 months). If you ever need customer service, you never get an Australian call centre - there's always a delay during the conversation, and while they may speak english, their comprehension is very poor. If you ever try to negotiate, ask for mercy, or ask for assistance, you really are treated very poorly!

• 5 answers
  • 61 helpful votes

1 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 11, 2012

Know your rights first before you get one. Then ask yourself the question do I need an AMEX card. Do I mind paying more at the register, more interest. Also, is there travel service better that the rest? NAB & ST GEORGE PLATINUM Cards are good as well plus have local call centres if you have issues.

Mind you if you really want an AMEX nothing I or anyone else will talk you out of it. I was told and was caught. I should have listened.

+ Thinking? Nope cant think of any

- Super High % and penalties. Call centres all are off shore, account disputes are not handled in accordance with the credit act. Need constant reminding of that fact! Hard to teach operators in India the Credit Act and there obligations

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 6 answers
  • 61 helpful votes
Private message

Bad

2 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 11, 2012

No issues for 15 years - i became 2 months overdue on payments due to illness. Tried explaining this to a string of people who had a poor grasp of english. In the end i was treated extremely rudely and my card was cancelled. Along with over 120 thousand loyalty points - which had long been paid for. Nasty way to treat loyal customers.

+ Not very much - well not anymore.

- Had an AMEX card for over 15 years - until i had financial issues a year or so ago.

8 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 4 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 13, 2011

overall quite satisfied with this card and had no major unhappy issues so far. looking forward to clock more points towards redeeming my first reward!

+ no annual fee
good customer service
user friendly website
signed up in a promotion and for a $250 westfields shopping voucher!

- not as widely accepted as visa and mastercard
3% fee charge for international purchases

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Where on this planet do you get good customer Service.
The card is crap cannot use it in many stores, only useful for on line purchases and if your purchases don't turn up, These people run a mile.

Benalla, Victoria

• 12 answers
  • 134 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 04, 2011

If you want a credit card, don;t want to be tied to your bank, and live in a metro area, the gold card is for you. If you spend above a certain amount AMEX will waive the annual fee, and even if you don't spend enough, they'll waive the fee if you ask nicely - which I have.
There red hot on fraud protection too. They called me only hours after detecting an unusual overseas transaction on my card, reversed all charges and forwarded a request for investigation to the federal police. Like I said, red hot.
The only down side is that if your in a regional area it's not accepted everywhere, and some places charge an arm and a leg for the privilege of using the AMEX.
Apart form that, a great card, and like they say, if you've got a gold card, you're having a good year.

+ Excellent customer service.
Quick detection and resolution of credit card fraud.
Sky's the limit.
Classy.

- Not accepted every where.

• 1 comment
  • 7 answers
  • 77 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 13, 2010

Very happy with this card and in particular when you are a victim of merchant error. Amex has all ways sorted out errors with the minimum of fuss needed from us. This is not a card if you roll over amounts month to month as the rate is crippling but given we pay off in full each month this is our card of choice.

+ Good length interest free period.
Burden of proof that transaction occurred not on the card holder that it did not (unlike Visa).
Call centre located in Australia
Good rewards program.

- High interest rate if you do not pay it off each month. Not as widely accepted as Visa outside of USA.
No PIN for credit purchases yet.

• 96 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on May 27, 2010

Generally a good card and good service behind it. But I would prefer if American Express would lower the charges for the business so that the cards reache a larger acceptance. This can sometimes be pretty annoying.

+ The 55 days interest free, of course the reward points and a few other services like travel insurance when you buy the tickets with the card. Very useful if you trade internationally.

- Not always accepted or sometimes with extra charges. Credit cards tend to be tempting because you are likely to spend more money than you actually have.

• 47 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 27, 2010

All in all it works well and they offer 55 days of interest free which gives you time to pay for your purchases. It is not as attractive as other credit cards but it does what is needed and is accepted almost everywhere.

+ It is well recognised and I trust American Express. It is simple to use and they are very punctual at helping you with anything you need. They offer online internet banking free so it saves you a lot of time and money.

- There is an annual fee charged after the first free year which is a bit of a nuisance. It is also a shame that it is not an Australian reconised credit card.

• 29 helpful votes

3 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 27, 2010

It has decent rewards as my st george visa (which we mostly use to keep track of business expenses) has no reward system. It is accepted by most bigger retailers but some are starting to charge a small % fee but not a problem yet. Amex really want your business so if you threaten to cancel your card because not widely accepted or whatever, they will usually offer you a better deal (they offered me more points, some people its no annual fee). If you are disciplined with you spending and repayments then I recommend it as a good way to get rewards and any extra benefits they offer. Research carefully all that you are entitled to as an amex member.

+ the rewards program. its why i have it. the customer service seems good. they offer extras like travel insurance

- annual fee. not widely accepted. must pay on time or $30 late fee plus interest.

Mernda, VIC

• 70 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 27, 2010

I have had this card for nearly 10 years and do not have any complaints. I pay it off each month so interest rates do not bother me.
In addition to the rewards programme they have shopping partners for bonus points and deals on various insurance (home, car, personal), loans (home, car, personal), travel and the like.
Will most likely cancel this soon and stick with my linked CITIBANK VISA and DINERS cards as other better rewards and deal overall.

+ cheap or low fees (on mine if $10,000 or more spent on card per year then there are no fees), 55 days interest free, rewards programme

- some stores do not take AMEX, not as convenient as VISA, high interest rate, my CITIBANK VISA has a better rewards programme.

• 5 comments
  • 7 questions
  • 9 answers
  • 48 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 11, 2010

I had this for was free from fees. Not only that, I was also given a free travelling bag being a member. This was my first AMEX card and I used a lot at that time. The redemption program was good no doubt I have not claimed anything from them. They have a good call centre based in India whose staff are attentive and polite. When it comes to activation of the card, it is as easy as "1 2 3" weith no hassle. Would definitely suggest this card to others

+ Available for free and good redemption program

- high interest and not widely accepted.

• 7 helpful votes

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 05, 2010

The only reason to have this card is because it is free, if you have a gold charge card. It is good as a "secondary" card, if you want to seperate some transactions, or provide a free secondary card for your other half.

+ I get this card for free, because I have a Gold charge card.

- There is no reason having this card, if you already have a charge card. Does not give additional benefits.

• 7 helpful votes

3 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 15, 2009

This is a great card whith a decent spend limit and is accepted in alot more places than it used to be. The points system is one of the best and easy to redeem and my reward was delivered quickly. The website is one of the better ones and shows due dates and payment amounts clearer than other cards. I would recomend getting one of these as well as a mastercard or visa just in case they dont accept AMEX. Iam considering upgrading to the platinum card for better features.

+ Good Styling
Great website
low annual fee

- Still not accepted in many places.
High interest rate.

• 22 helpful votes
Private message

Bad

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 09, 2009

Only kept it a few months as lots of business didnt except it and i need it for emergency which makes it not reliable

+ 55 days interest free

- not accept in many places

• 1 answer
  • 10 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 21, 2009

I like my Gold AMEX - easy to shop (when it accepted) and accumulate points, up to 55 days interest free gives me ability to pay the total amount without collecting interest. normaly use it as a back-up card.

+ Looking great, NO annual fees, electronic access.

- not accepted in some places, higher fees.

1 of 2 pages