Model: 250ltr Tank Date Purchased: May 2015

My collector panel is a dud

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 10, 2018

This is about a 22 tube collector panel, installed about three years ago. The unit is in a new house that has been vacant all of that time Apricus installed new tubes two months ago but it didn't make any difference. The manual says that when the collector exceeds the temperature of the water in the tank by 10 degrees centigrade, the recirculating pump starts and displaces the hot water in the collector, allowing cold water to enter. The pump never runs because the temperature difference is always much lower than 10 degrees, the collector doesn't 'collect'. Next door is an identical unit, both face in the same direction and it s always 20 to 30 degrees centigrade hotter than the dud. Could the scaling you are referring to be the cause, how can I inspect it and what is the remedy, chemical cleaning. Does anyone have other suggestions as to the cause of failure?

Brisbane

Model: 315ltr Tank Date Purchased: Oct 2015

Good unit - good service - a few issues fixed immediately

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 23, 2018

I purchased an Apricus 30 tube system in Oct 2015 after a lot of research and have been very happy with it so far (nearly 3 years). I live near Brisbane and it provides hot water most of the year with a little boosting over winter (directly north facing). I had a cracked tube (probably from the original installation) which was replaced under warranty after 13 mths. The glass "inspection value" near the pump developed a leak after about 12 mths and put a lot of water through the house (it is in the laundry and we were out at the time). This was quickly replaced under warranty by a new solid brass version (apparently there was a bad batch of the brass/glass ones - only criticism would be that Apricus knew of this issue when I called and could have been proactive in replacing them with a recall - would have saved a lot of carpet drying !).
A few months ago I noticed another cracked tube (possibly hail damage?) - the original supplier no longer did Apricus so I rang Apricus directly - got a call from the State Mgr almost immediately and he personally delivered a replacement tube plus a spare one free of charge !
I have an electronic logger on the unit and can see the operation in real time plus chart temperatures and pump operation and it is working as expected.
There is quite a lot of criticism regarding Apricus's service support on this site but I've found it to be excellent - perhaps just the location and staff involved?

Model: 250ltr Tank Date Purchased: Mar 2016

Waste of money

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 24, 2018

Get an apricus if you want cold showers. Waste of money. I’m actually furious. Years of ridiculousness and issues. Anyone interested in a class action??? Nearly everything has broken and I don’t know how many Luke warm and cold showers I’ve had to endure. Ridiculous ridiculous ridiculous ridiculous ridiculous.

Penrith

• 2 answers

Model: 315ltr Tank Date Purchased: Jun 2011

Warranty awareness

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 18, 2018

Buyer beware Once the system controller, Sensor, or pump, which carry only 12 months warranty after that period if any above fail and burst the manifold warranty is invalid on the manifold repairs are at your expense even though it states manifold has a 10 warranty. Buyer beware of this product

Verified Purchase Model: 315ltr Tank Date Purchased: Jul 2011

Poor product, poor Warranty, appalling Customer Service.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 14, 2018

I had an Apricus Solar Hot Water system installed 6 years ago and it recently developed a leak in the hot water tank. Water was leaking from the Sensor 2 outlet and there was considerable corrosion (rust) around both Sensor openings.
The installer of the system was no longer trading, so I contacted Apricus directly. It was agreed during my first phone conversation that the tank would be replaced under Warranty. That sounded very promising, however, I would not recommend Apricus Solar Hot Water Systems, nor would I use any of their products again. The reasons…
Product Durability.
The hot water tank developed a leak after just 6 years. When Apricus was contacted, it was agreed almost immediately that the tank would be replaced under Warranty. There did not seem to be any surprise that the tank had failed. I am certain that this was not the first failure of this type that they had had.
Product Warranty
The Sales Brochure states “With 15 years coverage on all key components, Apricus holds the longest warranty of any system on the Australian market.” The reality was that, although the tank replacement was still covered under Warranty, it was only the replacement tank that was covered. Warranty did not cover the cost of switching over the tanks or even the cost of transporting the tank from Sydney to my house. Those costs were only covered for one year. The transport cost charged by Apricus was $310. I have not yet had the plumber’s bill, but I am not expecting much change out of $1,000 for the whole exercise. I was certainly not expecting a cost of that magnitude when the initial Warranty claim was accepted!
That can only be described as appalling! From my 1st call to Apricus, to the time that the replacement tank was delivered, was over 2 weeks. During all that time, there was hot water leaking from my tank. I made more than 10 phone calls and sent 7 emails. On half of the calls, I was not able to speak to the person dealing with my claim. Each time, I left a message, none of those calls were returned. Commitments made to ring me back with updates were never met. I received 1 email, none of the others were responded to. When in frustration I rang Apricus to ask to speak with the Customer Service Manager, the person that I had been dealing with answered the phone, and she told me that she was the Customer Service Manager!! Most of the delays were because of internal administration/documentation. The person dealing with the claim appeared to be incapable of progressing anything in a timely manner.

Busselton

• 3 answers

Model: 315ltr Tank Date Purchased: Aug 2015

Don’t buy.ever!!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 26, 2018

It’s been unsatisfactory since buying it in August 2015. After 3 months of boosting the system in summer Apricus finally believed me and replaced 7 tubes that had corroded. Ever since then we’ve been boosting our system more than our old solar hart Today 2.5 yrs later the heating element went. Great. Stay away from this system!!! Doesn’t save you anything. It cost us 3x more than a solar hart.

Ewingsdale

Model: 315ltr Tank Date Purchased: Jan 2017

Warranty Customer Service is Terrible

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 23, 2018

I have been dealing with Theo from warranty - who was great. However, it appears a week later she is too busy and Ive been pushed to a number of people. Perhaps there are a lot of issues with their systems! After a month of dealing with warranty service, I still have not had a call back to provide any update on when my broken system will be repaired. I have now resorted to calling up every day and have been told by a short and angry warranty person. I will get a call back, but I never receive one. I have explained that I have a new family and hot water is important - doesnt seem to matter for this company!

Model: 250ltr Tank Date Purchased: Nov 2013

Very disappointed

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 22, 2018

I have purchased 5 Apricus hot water systems, and have had nothing but trouble with them. The tubes clogged up within the first two months, even tho the company told me they were suited to our water. We have had to run acid through them to clear the pipes which eventually rotted the tanks...tanks were replaced by the company only for the same thing to happen again. They are now being replaced with Solahart closed circuit systems.

Comments
Apricus Official

Hello Gwen, Thanks for your review I'm sorry to hear your system hasn't performed well. As we are the manufacturer, we have no control over the systems when they are sold and your area does not... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 comment
  • 1 answer

Model: 250ltr Tank Date Purchased: Jun 2016

I'm happy with my Apricus hot water

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 04, 2018

I'd like to thank the technical Apricus team from Melbourne Who fixed my Apricus hot water system when they came to W.A.They were extremely polite and efficient, and put me in touch with their W.A. rep. since been fixed my system has given me as much hot water as I need. Apricus is a fantastic product .It's obvious this product needs to be installed by an Apricus installer.

September 5th 2018 Update: I'm still happy with my Apricus hot water

I live in Southern western Australia,The weather here is cloudy cold and wet in winter and spring. My 30 tube Apricus hot water system is boosted by a 90 litre gas bottle and I have had the same gas bottle which was installed with my Apricus hot water system for 2 years now! and it is still half full of gas! My Apricus is extremely cheap to run. I am very happy with it.
Lucia

Comments
Apricus Official

Hello Lucia, Thanks so much for your positive review for our two reps who were able to visit you when they were in WA recently. We are definitely committed to making sure your system works and ... read more »

Hi Luke McKay,
If more Australian Businesses were as committed as Apricus in taking responsibility and fixing warranties Australian Businesses would florish!

Kind Regards Lucia

Brisbane

• 1 answer

Verified Purchase Model: 315ltr Tank Date Purchased: Apr 2018

Professional opinion on the Apricus range of Hot Water Systerms

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 02, 2018

Our company has been running now for around 13 years and I (Director) have been in the Plumbing industry for over 29 years so you could say we have been around this game for a while!

One of the key areas of our business is the repair and replacement of hot water systems, whether it be Solar, Gas, Electric or Heat Pump we do it.

Apricus systems are not new and we have been installing them for a number of years now - the reason we choose Apricus is that we KNOW they are the most reliable system on the market - bar none! We have had plenty of years installing all the major brand names in Solar and though some of them are not bad they just do not compare with the performance and reliability standards that set Apricus apart.

We have always found Apricus great to deal with and unlike some other brands out there, they are genuine when it comes to their after sales and warranty service!

If you are choosing to go Solar for your next hot water system then be VERY careful of what you buy, we have helped so many people over the years that thought they'd save a quid and put in a cheap hot water system or have a good system installed cheaply then after only a few years they have had to repair or replace it - a good hot water system (installed by a specialist) should give you adequate hot water for 10 - 15 years without any trouble but always remember to have it installed by a reputable company that has a proven track record of this type of 'specialist' work and follow the Service guidlines by the manufacturer.

We rate Apricus 5 Stars - we can't say that for any other Solar Hot Water System.

Brisbane Plumbing and Gas
www.brisbaneplumbinggas.com.au

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Apricus Official

Hi Billy, Thanks so much for your review of our overall systems and company. We really appreciate all your support and are committed for that to continue well into the future. We wish you all ... read more »

Date Purchased: Dec 2015

Good warranty service.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 23, 2018

After reporting the problem, the service personell very promptly repaired the unit.
I am very impressed by the standards exhibited by both administration and technical services.
Very impressed all round. The unit is very efficient and works as advertised.
Our Apricus system has earned a recommendation from my wife and myself.
Well done to all!

Comments
Apricus Official

Hello Ned, Thanks so much for your 5 star review and comments about our system. We are very pleased that you are so happy with the service after you needed help with an issue as we do pride our... read more »

Model: 250ltr Tank Date Purchased: Jan 2016

HWS excellent - service abysmal!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 09, 2018

I had my system installed just over 2 years ago because I had used this brand at a previous house and found it excellent. I always had a good supply of hot water since installation, but did not realise that what I thought was the fuse switch in the fuse box, was actually the booster (not labelled as booster and no separate switch as in all previous solar systems). It was only when I turned that switch off when I went away for a few weeks, then when I got home, it was the middle of summer, so expected the water to be hot - not so - barely tepid! I contacted the installer - took an email and three phonecalls before I got any response - and no help at all apparently too far to come and have a look but not too far to take my money for the initial purchase and installation! After over 2 weeks, in desperation, I contacted my local plumber to have a look - he discovered that when installed, the temperature setting had not been changed from the factory setting of 31.4 degrees, so no (or extremely little) input from the solar component as it cut off when the water reached 31.4 degrees, thus needing to be further heated by the booster, even in the middle of summer on a hot day! Not happy at all the electricity I have wasted heating the water in my "solar" HWS. Also not happy that after paying all that money to purchase and install, no-one from the company that installed was willing to have a look to see why it wasn't working properly, even after I explained that I hadn't actually been any evidence of the water being heated by the sun, ever!

Comments
Apricus Official

Hello Lully, Thank You for your review and I am sorry to hear your installer did not install this to our standards and didn't attempt to assist you after your correspondence with them. Apricu... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Model: 400ltr Tank Date Purchased: Dec 2018

Lazy

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 20, 2018

6 times I've emailed these people with an inquiry about where I can purchase one of their systems. I get the automated response saying, 'Will contact you within 2 days', and then nothing. Even drove out to their place at 7 Hills, complained to the manager who said "Gee, that's odd. These are flicked to the sales and they should have got back to you."

Well, guys, you FAILED!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Apricus Official

Hello John, Sorry to hear you made contact so often without response - I am the Customer Service Manager. Our only email received was on 12/1/18, and the response was on the 3rd business day fr... read more »

• 2 comments
  • 9 answers
  • 23 helpful votes

Model: 250ltr Tank Date Purchased: Sep 2016

Poor quality components with poor quality warranty

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 12, 2018

Our controller failed after 14 months of use, I rang Apricus and was advised that the controller only has a 1 year warranty period, Apricus refused to assist in any way. Our next door neighbour also has an Apricus Solar System and he said that his controller also failed within the same time frame. I can only assume that the components in the Apricus Solar Hot Water System are of poor quality as the warranty period would reflect.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Apricus Official

Hello Steve, Thank You for your feedback. As communicated in our warranty schedule, this part has a one year warranty and you are outside this timeframe. This particular part and the less exp... read more »

gold coast

• 3 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Model: 250ltr Tank Date Purchased: Jun 2011

Apricus do not stand by their warranty

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 07, 2017

My advice as a plumber, is do not buy apricus. I installed a system in my home and the tank failed within the 5 year warranty time. Apricus claim the anode should have been replaced within 3 years and used a warranty document written several years after my purchase, despite the warranty document supplied at time of purchase having no such clause (fine print). The agent I purchased the unit from approached Apricus on my behalf, with a similar rejection. My plumbing supplies manager approached the Apricus rep 3 months ago on my behalf and is still waiting for a response. My strong advice as a consumer and plumber is do not deal with a company like Apricus who do not honour their warranties. Go anywhere else!

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Model: 315ltr Tank Date Purchased: Jan 2010

Apricus evacuated tube

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 18, 2017

Apricus solar systems are brilliant. Solar hot water is to be installed correctly by correct solar accredited plumbers .
I have a system 7 years old and only turn my booster on after 2 days of cloud. My family use approximately 200ltr of hot water daily.
I have replaced one pump at a cost of $400.
My pump uses 50 watts running an average 8hrs a day
Cheap hot water even with a replacement.

Comments
Apricus Official

Hello Silvo, Thanks so much for your great review of our system from a long time user. We appreciate your feedback and showing how good our systems are after many years of use with only a small... read more »

• 1 review
  • 2 helpful votes

Model: 315ltr Tank Date Purchased: Jan 2017

Very disappointed.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 12, 2017

We are very disappointed with our evacuated tube solar HWS...we have had so many problems with our system since it was installed-pump, tubes, valves-looks like we will have to replace our system at considerable expense to ourselves. We have had so many plumbers looking at our system with no outcome. There was a time a company stood by their own product if they trusted they had a good product, not Apricus though which does not give us much confidence. I suppose they are too busy blaming everyone else. Disappointing

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Apricus Official

Hello, I am sorry to hear you are disappointed with your system - if this is a genuine warranty claim we would be more than happy to help and you may contact us on the email address or phone num... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Model: 250ltr Tank Date Purchased: Mar 2017

Problem System

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 10, 2017

Evacuated tubes explode when being fitted into manifold...2 already...not trying anymore...obvious problem with the manifold...apparently not covered by warranty...cost a few thousand to purchase...looks like we have wasted our money. We have an incomplete system on our roof but according to Apricus we are not losing much by not having a complete system...not the point.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Apricus Official

Hello, I have communicated with you multiple times over the past few days and sorry to see you have posted this review.Apricus are only responsible for items under warranty - you have been very ... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Model: 315ltr Tank Date Purchased: Jan 2007

Terrible service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 06, 2017

My mother is an elderly lady with an Apricus hot water solar system installed. We have been having issues with it on and off for 2 years, my mother called and asked to speak to someone about it. They told her that they are not plumbers and can't diagnose the problem over the phone. I called back and asked to speak to the manager who seems to be the gentleman commenting below on everyone else's reviews and I was told his comment was to email him as he couldn't take the call. There was a lot of laughing and carrying on in the background, no idea what kind of business they are running. My husband has decided to rip the whole system out and go with a solar hart system.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Apricus Official

Hello Alicia, I am sorry to hear you did not receive the excellent service we have been known for by the previous reviews in the past six months since I started with Apricus. I was not aware that... read more »

kerang

Model: 315ltr Tank Date Purchased: Jul 2015

Should have got a solar hart

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 21, 2017

System is just over two years old, 12 months ago non return valve replaced under warranty. Today circulating pump not working, rang apricus, sorry only 2 years warranty on pump, 10 years on tank, 15 years on collector but 2 0n pump. I will let you all know what goes wrong next year.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Apricus Official

Hello Pippy, I am sorry to hear you are unhappy with our warranty periods. Apricus use parts from many different suppliers and all suppliers have differing warranty periods. Our roof component... read more »

1 of 5 pages

315ltr Tank

Tempering valve is it adjustable summer to winter?

Ferret asked on Aug 25, 2018

315ltr Tank

I am in the New England area on the slopes I had my 30 tube system installed in 10/09, I say it is a good system when it is working, But in that time i have dad to replace the pump and controller 3 sensors to top manifold 2 sensors to the bottom tank. Now the top sensor has failed again and the with the extremely cold change we had last weekend the manifold has been damaged by frost because of the sensor falling. So new sensors have been installed but now the controller keeps throwing the elcb out. If either sensors are removed the circuit doesn't throw out, so the fault now is in the controller so another new controller required. So all up in parts alone in 9 years almost $900 and now due for another controller another $320.Plus the manifold. Is this normal? .Or have I just had a bad trot ? Ross

Ian asked on Jul 20, 2018

315ltr Tank

My 30 tube system is not heating, i only get hot water if the over ride power switch is on at night. I tested the cycle pump for 240 power it ok but i don't think the pump is working certainly doesn't seem like it. The led light pump power light is on showing it is pumping but it can't be. Should get a new pump or check for something else first. The plumber has bled the air from the line last week on the roof but still no hot water at the end of the day. Any ideas? Live in SE Qld.

Breeny asked on Jul 17, 2018

Answer this

I'm no plumber Do you have ants when it's cold they like warm on the side of water tank sensor shorting circut my plumber cleaned and puffed a little baby powder anound ants do like it. If your panel shows SSD instead of temp more than likely pump.

You should be able to hear the pump cycling. Stand outside the heating system and see if you can hear it. When it does cycle the float value which is yellow and has some kind of spring in it rises to the top. When the pump is off it sits on the bottom. It cycles all day. Last cycle will be when theres not sun.You can also see the temp of the water by taking the cover off the box. This is helpful as it shows what temp the water is. Press the plus sign to record the temps. One temp is whats cycling through, one temp is the heat on the tubes and one temp is what the temp of the water is.If you have any further questions Ill go and tell you exactly what the readings mean by having a look at ours. You should have hot water all year round in QLD. Have you called Apricus? Forget the plumber go straight to the company.
How old is the system?

See all 25 questions about Apricus Solar Hot Water System

Your question will be specific to the model that you've selected.