Model: 400ltr Tank Date Purchased: Feb 2011

Leaking Tank

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 20, 2017

My tank started leaking from the lower senor port and a couple of weeks later started leak out of the return port. They came had a look. they thought it may be a slow leak from where the plumber connected the return to the tank. after replacing the fitting and and checking on it for a couple of weeks.so after determining it was the tank and not the fitting, they replaced the tank straight away.

Comments
Apricus Solar Hot Water System Official

Hello, Thank You for your positive review. It has been a pleasure dealing with you and appreciate the feedback you have given in regards to the warranty replacement. We wish you all the best with y... read more »

Model: 400ltr Tank Date Purchased: Jul 2015

Good service for replacement of faulty tubes

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 16, 2017

Our system didn't seem to be performing very well, but for a long time that was perhaps all we could expect for our location in southern Tasmania. When we realised it really was well under par Apricus were very cooperative in organising for someone to look at it, then they replaced all 30 inner copper tubes. All done at no cost to us and with no further questions or quibbling. Only 3 stars because while the service was excellent the tubes should not have been faulty in the first place.

Comments
Apricus Solar Hot Water System Official

Hello Peter, Thanks very much for your review. We are sorry to hear that these copper tubes weren't performing up to the usual standard, but we are glad that now they have been replaced you should ... read more »

Model: 400ltr Tank Date Purchased: Jul 2016

Quick and prompt service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 15, 2017

We had a minor issue with the tubing for our apricus solar hot water system. I contacted apricus to see what could be done. Within the week, i had the local plumber replace the tubing under warranty and the problem was dissolved. These guys are quick, efficient and in my POV, very customer orientated. Great going guys!

Comments
Apricus Solar Hot Water System Official

Hello Tara, Thanks so much for your five star review - I am delighted that you were happy with the speed and efficiency of our after sales service and you took the time to make this review. We wish... read more »

Model: 250ltr Tank Date Purchased: Jan 2009

Beware!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 15, 2017

Beware of Apricus, on an average they are an ok company just like all the rest. But they have a bad reputation for not honouring their warranties, they will try every trick they can to swindle you out of your claim WHEN something goes wrong with your system. and it will happen. make sure you do your research before signing up with them.

Comments
Apricus Solar Hot Water System Official

Hello, Thank You for your review - I am sorry to hear you were not happy with our After Sales service. Our warranty schedule is very clear and if an item is in warranty then we will honour this, un... read more »

Lancefield

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Model: 400ltr Tank Date Purchased: Mar 2011

Solar Water Heating not without problems but great support by Apricus

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 11, 2017

My wife and I researched all Solar Hot Water systems 6 or so years ago and decided on the Apricus based on extensive research. We found that all Solar Hot Water products had mixed reviews but in the end there seemed to be a common theme with these types of systems e.g. severe frost can be an issue, and that it highly depends on the quality of the plumber that fits theses systems as well as owners having some knowledge of how to check the indicators on a semi regular basis for any issues before they become a major and expense issue ... especial ly if it's out of warranty.

At the time, overall Apricus came up the best option for us and I still stand by our decision... especially with the extremely responsive service from both Apricus and Simon from Macedon Ranges Plumbing recently.

After the severe frost we had here in Lancefield, the comments I made above hold true. We had very poor experiences with our 1st attempt to get a Apricus certified plumbers ( tried two) to come out and determine the cause of the water coming out of the manifold after the frost and 3rd time lucky with Simon. Simon was awesome with his responsiveness and dealing with our stress of the situation. He assessed the situation and advised that the frost had caused the manifold to crack and that the root cause was that the previous plumber, while assessing another issue we had 12 months ago had left the plug unplugged, causing the manifold not to cope with the frost.

After capping off the running water, Simon urgently took it upon himself to notify Apricus of the issue and like any Company that stands by their product, they offered to replace the manifold at their cost even though it was out side of warranty, considering the circumstances. Thanks Nick... outstanding service not being black and white on the problem considering the fact that it was out of warranty. We really appreciate it :).

So from our perspective, the key to getting the most out of an investment like this is to find a great plumber that knows the system, and as an owner, learn to understand the system indicators (which we didn't) and deal with a company that is not black and white on warranty issues when the circumstances warrant it. The product is an excellent product and has saved us big $ on our electricity bill.

Rick

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Apricus Solar Hot Water System Official

Hello Rick, Thanks for the feedback I'm happy that you have had a good experience from my Head Office staff. The controller is definitely the brains of the system so if there is an issue with this ... read more »

Model: 250ltr Tank Date Purchased: Jul 2015

Customer Service is a waste of time !!!!!!!!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 05, 2017

Comments
Apricus Solar Hot Water System Official

Hello Foss, Thank You for your email and feedback. Our systems do not require costly maintenance and an easily be monitored by the homeowner. Controllers have a green light to display they are work... read more »

Model: 315ltr Tank Date Purchased: Jan 2011

A problem but great recovery service

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 04, 2017

After 6 years the system sprung a leaky through a faulty manifold, probably not unexpected in the below zero Canberra winters. Obviously I was not happy but the service by Apricus in providing a replacement manifold, despite me not being able to provide the exact proof of purchase normally required, was exceptional. They very quickly assessed the problem, accepted responsibility and provided a replacement. Very happy with that outcome.

Comments
Apricus Solar Hot Water System Official

Thanks so much for your review Garry - we are pleased you have been happy with our after sales service.
Kind Regards,

• 1 answer

Model: 250ltr Tank Date Purchased: May 2009

Free from the sun???????

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 30, 2017

I was one of the very first people to purchase an Apricus hot water service in Hervey Bay back in 2009. My gripe, is that while they say "free energy from the sun;" the very truth is, that there is always a hidden cost to these systems. Nearly Two years after installation, my solar pump died, and I rang the installation electrician to get a new one. BLOODY HELL!!!!! A replacement unit cost me a total of $625. Not what I was expecting. To ad injury to insult, he didn't notify Apricus, and my claim for compensation was refused. (not my fault ). I have decreased the load on the unit by switching the pump to the lowest level, and up to now it has been operating successfully for the past few years (fingers crossed): But now the tank temperature is not going to it's max of 70C in the middle of the day,not even reaching 62C and falling off at night to as low as 30C. I assume this has some thing to do with the collector units and heat transfer unit. Now I have to find a "qualified" Apricus agent here in Hervey Bay to check out the heat exchanger unit for me.
I calculated out, that if I had kept my original hot water unit, I would have been better off financially on Tarif 3 off- peak, as I am the only one in my house; so it makes you wonder about all this "green crap" and ALL THE ASSOCIATED HIDDEN COSTS including pump replacements. I woukld strongly suggest anybody needing a pump replacement ensure they get an industrial grade pump - cheaper in the long run.

Comments
Apricus Solar Hot Water System Official

Hello Cliff - Thank You for your review and comments. We are a company that is happy to help with any issues regarding our systems - we would definitely encourage our customers to contact us direc... read more »

Model: 315ltr Tank Date Purchased: Jan 2013

Great Service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 23, 2017

Recently I contacted Jessie West of Apricus about a hot water temperature problem. Even though most of the system is out of warranty, Jessie cheerfully put the hard yards in and came up with a solution in record time. I couldn't be more pleased and I'd certainly recommend Apricus' after sales service on the basis of this experience.

Comments
Apricus Solar Hot Water System Official

Thanks so much Alan for the great review - Jessie is a fantastic employee and we are delighted you are happy with the service provided by our after sales team. Kind Regards, Luke McKay Customer S... read more »

Brisbane

• 2 comments
  • 2 answers
  • 5 helpful votes

Model: 315ltr Tank Date Purchased: Nov 2014

Disappointed

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 02, 2017

Comments
Apricus Solar Hot Water System Official

Hello, Thank you for your feedback. My name is Luke and I am the Customer Service Manager for Apricus – I have recently started with Apricus and we definitely would like to help you with this issue... read more »

Apricus Solar Hot Water System Official

Hello again, After our conversation on 10/7 I believe the parts replaced in your system has ensured the issue you were having is no longer evident. I am very happy this has led to the improvement i... read more »

UPDATE: 3 STARS. Apricus replaced the 30 inner tubes and flow control valve under warranty, which seems to have resolved the issue. My reasoning for three stars is because Apricus were not interes... read more »

Canberra

• 1 comment

Model: 250ltr Tank Date Purchased: Feb 2016

Poor Service

4 out of 5, reviewed on May 29, 2017

Comments
Apricus Solar Hot Water System Official

Thank you for your feedback, we are glad the issue is now fixed. We received notification of your problem on Monday afternoon from the retail outlet that sold the system and we had arranged a serv... read more »

You received notification from me when I rang you on Monday morning.

Model: 315ltr Tank Date Purchased: Nov 2014

A couple of issues but good service from Apricus in the end

4 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 24, 2017

Have had two warranty issues in two years- both have been resolved well. First was when system was new- ptr valve (pressure relief valve) on the tank constantly dripping. This was resolved (replaced) very quickly by Apricus. Second was 2 years down the track when I noticed a marked drop off in temps especially in summer. I have been a little disappointed that a 40 tube 315L system didn't perform a little better but mine is set at a 45 degree angle so better suited to winter conditions (although there is less insolation in winter in Melbourne an yway- damn those grey days). Turns out the heat pipes were failing (these are the copper tubes inside the evacuated tubes that heat the manifold). Apricus quickly sorted the warranty although their dept is a little confused as although they no longer sell a 40 tube version, they were convinced that they were going to send 44 new heat pipes. Thought that they would just replace the entire tube but instead had to pull out and replace 40 heat pipes on the roof hence labour costs were high. To Apricus' credit they helped out here, though. System is now running a lot better (almost hotter than summer even though it is now Autumn).

So to sum up- even though I have heard some bad things about Apricus customer support been very happy so far. As another user mentioned though- hope these heat pipes won't be an ongoing issue as although the warranty is 10 or 15 years this does not cover the high labour costs to replace them down the track. If system is not performing it seems that this and checking the connection to sensors on manifold would be first places to check. Vacuum in tubes can also go.

One area that could be more consistent is installation. I asked the installer what the tape that was attaching the insulation on the pipes outside on the roof was and he said it was a 'uv' rated duct tape. I'm sorry but I don't see this sticky tape still being there in 15 years, let alone another 5.

A good system but unfortunately payback is probably longer than the life of the system (with stainless tank) as the utilities have always got you with connection charges rather than what you actually use. Being with gas booster- summer is great use no gas but this is charged at offpeak anyway. Winter, less solar- onpeak gas prices. I guess electric boosting is a little different though.

1 of 5 pages

315ltr Tank

Hi i live in Bendigo Vic with west facing roof Peter Carr Plumbing have suggested a 22 Tub 315 Lt Electric Boost Apricus system, I have had a New Energy System that lasted one year , now an Eco Smart it has just not worked and hard to get any help to fix it had it for 7 Years , my concern is all these Solar hot water units have cost me a lot of money so for with little to no cost savings, ? can i get Government rebates on a new system and will this system be good for me

Rinke asked on Jul 02, 2017

Hi Rinke
Firstly, from my own experience, I think all this green crap is just that: CRAP! We do not have sufficient development of of materials to do what a good clean coal powered generating station can do AT THIS TIME IN OUR DEVELOPMENT TO POWER OUR HOMES. Having said that, i did invest in an Apricus Solar Hot water system, as it impressed me with the way in which it operated. I only got 1 1/2 years out of it before the electric water pump died - and left me with a huge $625 bill for a replacement. That was a very costly 18 months for hot water. I found that by lowering the flow rate to "minimum" put far less stress on the pump, and touch wood, this has now been going for the past 3 years without problems. The system works exceptionally well; but the water pump is its Achilles heel. Also about every 6 to 7 years you will have to have the insulation packing at the end of the tube array going into the heat exchanger replaced to maintain performance. I would not suggest getting a separate floor tank unit, as this still provides water pump problems - as well as consuming electricity. A suitable roof unit would be ideal. It certainly works on dull days, and in winter very well. If you use hot water for more than 1 shower in the early morning, I would suggest you engage the meter box timer to heat the water tank for 1 hour before the sun rises. This would be very important in colder climates down south.
All in all, it is far better than the majority of units I have looked at. with the provisos I have explained. Site the unit on the roof in a NW orientation, as this will give the best results.
I hope this helps you.

Hello Rinke,
An Apricus Solar Hot water system has market leading warranties to protect the customer from what you have been through with the other manufacturers. If there are any issues with our system pre and post sale at any time you are encouraged to call us on 1300 277 428.
Apricus evacuated tubes have been installed through your area and have a lot of happy customers there.
We would recommend 30 tubes with a 315L tank to get sufficient winter efficiency.
Government rebates are not available but STC rebates through companies like Greenbank are available and equate to around $1000-1200 depending on what system you buy.
Kind Regards,
Luke McKay
Customer Service Manager
Apricus Australia

Would recommend that you DO NOT INSTALL an APRICUS system . Our system is exactly 2yo but the Manifold on the roof has split with the frost! However the Controller ( with only a 1yr warranty ) has also failed so WE HAVE NO WARRANTY COVER whatsoever. APRICUS have stated that the cost to replace will be over $1000 and the same thing could happen next winter ! It would be cheaper to pay for your electricity than the cost of maintaining one of these systems.

315ltr Tank

We have just had our tubes replaced as they were not functioning efficiently, I noticed some of the removed tubes had scale on them similar to annealed copper before quenching. As an engineer this tell me these were not transferring heat, the unit was only installed in late 2014 so I would expect much longer life from these. What is the anticipated lifespan and how long is the warranty for the new tubes? Regards Ray George

RPG asked on Feb 14, 2017

Answer this

Had exactly the same issue as yourself. Found that just after 2 years the system was running at least 10C cooler on average than it had been at the start. I actually had my controller installed inside the house so I picked this up quite quickly. I assume many people wouldn't even know this as they do not think about it. Anyway, the system was topping at at around 65C in the middle of summer which is pretty poor as I have a 40 tube 315L system. Apricus eventually admitted that there had been some bad heat pipes from that vintage (2014) although I have read of issues with others from 2012 perhaps. Anyway, getting to the point- when the heat pipes were replaced I noticed exactly the same black scale that you did. Some pipes were still completely shiny as if new and others with peeling black scale. Plumber said black corrosion was normal but I found it interesting with the complete contrast. Apricus eventually helped out with the warranty (appreciated) and system is now running 60C in middle of Autumn which is much better. As you mentioned- I'm hoping this is just a bad batch rather than an ongoing issue as labour for removing and replacing 40 heat pipes was around $400 which I would not want to cover myself. I just assumed that they would replace the entire tube which would be a lot easier- but more expensive in parts for them.

I contacted Apricus following the replacement of my tubes and they indicated that the new tubes would still be covered by the 10 year warranty. I have to say they were very responsive in supplying the tubes and labour given it was over the Christmas period.

315ltr Tank

My 30 tube 315litre ss system has started a high pitched resonating noise when the water is turned on lately. I live in Northern NSW so rarely have to use the electric element but this noise is annoying any thoughts?

Alan asked on Dec 09, 2016

Answer this

Is the noise coming from the HWS or the water pipes?

I believe it is coming from the piping

Hi Alan,
Can you please call me about your system on 02 8789 6000.
Thanks,
Johann

See all 12 questions about Apricus Solar Hot Water System

Your question will be specific to the model that you've selected.