Model: 315ltr Tank Date Purchased: Jul 2015

Should have got a solar hart

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 21, 2017

System is just over two years old, 12 months ago non return valve replaced under warranty. Today circulating pump not working, rang apricus, sorry only 2 years warranty on pump, 10 years on tank, 15 years on collector but 2 0n pump. I will let you all know what goes wrong next year.

Verified Purchase Model: 250ltr Tank Date Purchased: Aug 2012

Running Hot

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 16, 2017

Some time ago consultant Shane King assisted via the phone our plumber to repair our Therman heating unit. Whilst doing this he advised making several adjustments to the settings of the unit.
These changes have greatly improved the efficiency of our unit. There is consistent hot water regardless of overcast periods throughout the day .We always thought the unit was excellent but thanks to Shane it is even better.

Port Douglas

Purchased at: Reece

Comments
Apricus Solar Hot Water System Official

Hello Jett, Thanks for your great 5 star review and the appreciation of Shane's advise. Shane is our National Sales Manager and is always happy to provide any assistance needed to plumbers or... read more »

Model: 315ltr Tank Date Purchased: Jan 2016

Relentless Dedication to Great After Sales Service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 15, 2017

I am very happy with our Apricus 30 system. It heats the water on days with power from the Sun very efficiently. We can leave the booster off for long periods of time.
We had a problem with a thermo syphoning situation which only became apparent in the colder weather. Even though the system was out of warranty Nick and his team relentlessly followed clues and gave great advice and help until the problem was solved.
I could not recommend the Apricus after sales service higher.

Comments
Apricus Solar Hot Water System Official

Hi Tom, Its been a pleasure dealing with you and we really appreciate the fantastic review you have written. Nick is the best in the business and he is delighted that your system is now worki... read more »

Model: 400ltr Tank Date Purchased: Aug 2017

Very happy

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 30, 2017

We are very happy that it was delt with quick & efficient covered by warranty & the new replacement came we had great customer service. From reporting the leak & damage caused we were fitting a new tank all within a week of the first phone call. Very happy with everything.

Purchased at: Reece

Comments
Apricus Solar Hot Water System Official

Hello, Thanks so much for your 5 star review - myself and our Customer Service team really appreciate you complimenting our great service. We are very happy to hear this could all be sorted ... read more »

Bright

• 1 answer

Model: 315ltr Tank Date Purchased: Sep 2016

Excellent product & service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 11, 2017

We have been very happy with the performance of the Apricus 30 in our new build. The rubber hits the road for any manufacturer when a problem occurs, this is what differentiates brands. We recently had 1 issue and Apricus service was a standout, staff were caring and service process was quick with Apricus checking up on progress and satisfaction as things progressed. I managed an ANZ service network for 40 years and it is pleasing to recognize a vendor, staff and service agent who all aim to provide top tier service.

Comments
Apricus Solar Hot Water System Official

Hello Graham, Thanks very much for your positive review regarding our service - Theo was our Customer Service staff member who was looking after your issue and we strive to make sure we are comm... read more »

Model: 400ltr Tank Date Purchased: Jul 2016

Fast & helpful service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 04, 2017

We live in eastern Victoria , with cold winter temperatures & frequent frosts. When winter set in, we found that the hot water in our newly built house was sometimes going luke-warm, sometimes by mid evening. Being an electrician, I suspected the circulation pump may be at fault, by the fact that it was showing as running, yet made no noise whatsoever & appeared to not be working.

I placed a warranty claim & was promptly contacted by Nick at Apricus. I was unable to talk with him on that day (Friday), but he made time to have me contact him next day on the Saturday. He was very friendly & explained to me that our unit may require some 'fine tuning' to be better suited to our colder climate. He guided me through the very user friendly Apricus control menu, & we changed various parameters that improved our solar gain throughout the day. It also proved that the circulation pump was in fact working, but was literally silent in its operation. He also advised me that the off peak boost temperature could be reduced from 70 to 60degC, which I did (obviously using less power), & still supply adequate hot water back-up overnight.

It's been just under 5 weeks now since now since the changes were made, & the difference was noticeable that night. Our system has simply not missed a beat since, providing piping hot water any time (day or night) without any sign at all of running out & going cold as it had been. I have to say that I'm very impressed with Apricus so far, both in operation & customer service. Couldn't have asked for a better result.

Comments
Apricus Solar Hot Water System Official

Hello, Thank You for your awesome review of our Training Manager Nick - we are very committed to provided the best customer service we can at all times, and Nick is fantastic in regards to technic... read more »

Model: 315ltr Tank Date Purchased: Mar 2016

Support by Jessie

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 02, 2017

Our initial installation was faulty; there wasn't any water flow through the roof pipes for the first week or more. This installation fault was corrected by the installer.

However, it became apparent that the tubes had been damaged by being left without water, and these were replaced under warranty without question. About three months later, one of the new tubes failed, just as we are about to depart town for a while.

Jessie was most helpful in organising a replacement tube and lining up an agent to fit it while we were away. On returning home, the new tube was there and all appears fine.

Comments
Apricus Solar Hot Water System Official

Hello David, Thanks so much for your positive review - Jessie is a fantastic member of our Aftersales team and we really appreciate you complimenting our great service. We are very happy to he... read more »

Date Purchased: Jun 2012

Canberra not supported

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 25, 2017

I purchased a system less than five years ago, and within just a few years it was continually blowing fuses. I got the electrician recommended by Apricus out and all he did was change the fuse. Apricus kept sending me replacement fuses and left me on my own. The recent cold weather in Canberra has now ruptured the tubes. As the fuses no longer worked, I hadn't been able to use my HWS for six months, and so they can rely on that to say they are not liable as there wasn't any water circulating through the pipes. Their warranty is poor and there is no local representative in Canberra. You are on your own and are meant to be an expert, otherwise they rely on their warranty to not replace the parts. I relied on the advice provided by Apricus over the phone and am now significantly out of pocket as a result. These systems do not seem to be suited to cold environments. Very disappointed after spending thousands of dollars.

Comments
Apricus Solar Hot Water System Official

Hello and Thank You for your feedback. I spoke to you on Monday and as mentioned unfortunately the controller was well out of warranty when you first contacted us a year or so ago. At this point as... read more »

Model: 400ltr Tank Date Purchased: Aug 2015

Faulty heating pipes should ALL be replaced!

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 25, 2017

Our system has finally been restored to what we imagined it would be like and in fact what it was like for the first little while when we had it installed in August 2015!
ALL 44 pipes were replaced (probably out of warranty but with no quibbling because they knew there was a problem) and the sensor has just been moved to the correct end of the system (fault of the original installers.....didn't allow enough wiring)
My concern is for all the other loyal customers out there who aren't aware that there was a faulty batch(s) of heat tubes manufactured about 2-3 years ago - 2014 was mentioned - and who's systems aren't functioning as they ought.
It bothers me that the company knows about this problem but hasn't been proactive in following up people like us who, in good faith, installed a system that was meant to save them power and money. It was only after an increasing amount of electrical boosting that we realised there was a problem. Kind of like the frog in the kettle.....you don't realise there's a problem because it's a gradual deterioration. A quick look at the graph of our power bills last week confirmed the true story!
To their credit, Apricus accepted there was a problem. Unfortunately it then took weeks to finally rectify.
Happy with the system and would've given it a 5***** rating if it had worked as it did in the beginning.

Purchased at: Infinite Energy

Comments
Apricus Solar Hot Water System Official

Thank you very much for your review on our product and providing us a platform to add comment on the importance of simple home owner maintenance procedure of their Apricus Solar Hot Water system. ... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Model: 400ltr Tank Date Purchased: Feb 2011

Leaking Tank

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 20, 2017

My tank started leaking from the lower senor port and a couple of weeks later started leak out of the return port. They came had a look. they thought it may be a slow leak from where the plumber connected the return to the tank. after replacing the fitting and and checking on it for a couple of weeks.so after determining it was the tank and not the fitting, they replaced the tank straight away.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Apricus Solar Hot Water System Official

Hello, Thank You for your positive review. It has been a pleasure dealing with you and appreciate the feedback you have given in regards to the warranty replacement. We wish you all the best with y... read more »

Model: 400ltr Tank Date Purchased: Jul 2015

Good service for replacement of faulty tubes

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 16, 2017

Our system didn't seem to be performing very well, but for a long time that was perhaps all we could expect for our location in southern Tasmania. When we realised it really was well under par Apricus were very cooperative in organising for someone to look at it, then they replaced all 30 inner copper tubes. All done at no cost to us and with no further questions or quibbling. Only 3 stars because while the service was excellent the tubes should not have been faulty in the first place.

Comments
Apricus Solar Hot Water System Official

Hello Peter, Thanks very much for your review. We are sorry to hear that these copper tubes weren't performing up to the usual standard, but we are glad that now they have been replaced you should ... read more »

Model: 400ltr Tank Date Purchased: Jul 2016

Quick and prompt service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 15, 2017

We had a minor issue with the tubing for our apricus solar hot water system. I contacted apricus to see what could be done. Within the week, i had the local plumber replace the tubing under warranty and the problem was dissolved. These guys are quick, efficient and in my POV, very customer orientated. Great going guys!

Comments
Apricus Solar Hot Water System Official

Hello Tara, Thanks so much for your five star review - I am delighted that you were happy with the speed and efficiency of our after sales service and you took the time to make this review. We wish... read more »

Model: 250ltr Tank Date Purchased: Jan 2009

Beware!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 15, 2017

Beware of Apricus, on an average they are an ok company just like all the rest. But they have a bad reputation for not honouring their warranties, they will try every trick they can to swindle you out of your claim WHEN something goes wrong with your system. and it will happen. make sure you do your research before signing up with them.

Comments
Apricus Solar Hot Water System Official

Hello, Thank You for your review - I am sorry to hear you were not happy with our After Sales service. Our warranty schedule is very clear and if an item is in warranty then we will honour this, un... read more »

Lancefield

Model: 400ltr Tank Date Purchased: Mar 2011

Solar Water Heating not without problems but great support by Apricus

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 11, 2017

My wife and I researched all Solar Hot Water systems 6 or so years ago and decided on the Apricus based on extensive research. We found that all Solar Hot Water products had mixed reviews but in the end there seemed to be a common theme with these types of systems e.g. severe frost can be an issue, and that it highly depends on the quality of the plumber that fits theses systems as well as owners having some knowledge of how to check the indicators on a semi regular basis for any issues before they become a major and expense issue ... especially if it's out of warranty.

At the time, overall Apricus came up the best option for us and I still stand by our decision... especially with the extremely responsive service from both Apricus and Simon from Macedon Ranges Plumbing recently.

After the severe frost we had here in Lancefield, the comments I made above hold true. We had very poor experiences with our 1st attempt to get a Apricus certified plumbers ( tried two) to come out and determine the cause of the water coming out of the manifold after the frost and 3rd time lucky with Simon. Simon was awesome with his responsiveness and dealing with our stress of the situation. He assessed the situation and advised that the frost had caused the manifold to crack and that the root cause was that the previous plumber, while assessing another issue we had 12 months ago had left the plug unplugged, causing the manifold not to cope with the frost.

After capping off the running water, Simon urgently took it upon himself to notify Apricus of the issue and like any Company that stands by their product, they offered to replace the manifold at their cost even though it was out side of warranty, considering the circumstances. Thanks Nick... outstanding service not being black and white on the problem considering the fact that it was out of warranty. We really appreciate it :).

So from our perspective, the key to getting the most out of an investment like this is to find a great plumber that knows the system, and as an owner, learn to understand the system indicators (which we didn't) and deal with a company that is not black and white on warranty issues when the circumstances warrant it. The product is an excellent product and has saved us big $ on our electricity bill.

Rick

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Apricus Solar Hot Water System Official

Hello Rick, Thanks for the feedback I'm happy that you have had a good experience from my Head Office staff. The controller is definitely the brains of the system so if there is an issue with this ... read more »

Model: 250ltr Tank Date Purchased: Jul 2015

Customer Service is a waste of time !!!!!!!!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 05, 2017

We purchased an APRICUS Solar Hot Water System exactly 2yrs ago at a cost of over $4000. A few days ago the MANIFOLD on the roof cracked due to the frost but was caused by the CONTROLER failing ! Because the Warranty on the CONTROLER was only 1yr - APRICUS will not cover the cost of replacing EITHER ! It would therefor appear to cost MORE to maintain these units than the cost of electricity. We have been quoted a minimum of $1000 and the SAME THING COULD HAPPEN NEXT WINTER !!!!!!! It looks like we purchased a VERY EXPENSIVE HOT WATER UNIT as we will not pay to have the Solar componency repaired. Recommend that you DO NOT INSTALL A SOLAR HOT WATER SYSTEM as they are more trouble than they are worth. Just ask a Plumber and spread the word !!

Comments
Apricus Solar Hot Water System Official

Hello Foss, Thank You for your email and feedback. Our systems do not require costly maintenance and an easily be monitored by the homeowner. Controllers have a green light to display they are work... read more »

Canberra

Model: 315ltr Tank Date Purchased: Jan 2011

A problem but great recovery service

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 04, 2017

After 6 years the system sprung a leaky through a faulty manifold, probably not unexpected in the below zero Canberra winters. Obviously I was not happy but the service by Apricus in providing a replacement manifold, despite me not being able to provide the exact proof of purchase normally required, was exceptional. They very quickly assessed the problem, accepted responsibility and provided a replacement. Very happy with that outcome.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Apricus Solar Hot Water System Official

Thanks so much for your review Garry - we are pleased you have been happy with our after sales service.
Kind Regards,

• 1 answer

Model: 250ltr Tank Date Purchased: May 2009

Free from the sun???????

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 30, 2017

I was one of the very first people to purchase an Apricus hot water service in Hervey Bay back in 2009. My gripe, is that while they say "free energy from the sun;" the very truth is, that there is always a hidden cost to these systems. Nearly Two years after installation, my solar pump died, and I rang the installation electrician to get a new one. BLOODY HELL!!!!! A replacement unit cost me a total of $625. Not what I was expecting. To ad injury to insult, he didn't notify Apricus, and my claim for compensation was refused. (not my fault). I have decreased the load on the unit by switching the pump to the lowest level, and up to now it has been operating successfully for the past few years (fingers crossed): But now the tank temperature is not going to it's max of 70C in the middle of the day,not even reaching 62C and falling off at night to as low as 30C. I assume this has some thing to do with the collector units and heat transfer unit. Now I have to find a "qualified" Apricus agent here in Hervey Bay to check out the heat exchanger unit for me.
I calculated out, that if I had kept my original hot water unit, I would have been better off financially on Tarif 3 off- peak, as I am the only one in my house; so it makes you wonder about all this "green crap" and ALL THE ASSOCIATED HIDDEN COSTS including pump replacements. I woukld strongly suggest anybody needing a pump replacement ensure they get an industrial grade pump - cheaper in the long run.

Comments
Apricus Solar Hot Water System Official

Hello Cliff - Thank You for your review and comments. We are a company that is happy to help with any issues regarding our systems - we would definitely encourage our customers to contact us direc... read more »

Model: 315ltr Tank Date Purchased: Jan 2013

Great Service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 23, 2017

Recently I contacted Jessie West of Apricus about a hot water temperature problem. Even though most of the system is out of warranty, Jessie cheerfully put the hard yards in and came up with a solution in record time. I couldn't be more pleased and I'd certainly recommend Apricus' after sales service on the basis of this experience.

Comments
Apricus Solar Hot Water System Official

Thanks so much Alan for the great review - Jessie is a fantastic employee and we are delighted you are happy with the service provided by our after sales team. Kind Regards, Luke McKay Customer S... read more »

Brisbane

• 2 comments
  • 2 answers
  • 5 helpful votes

Model: 315ltr Tank Date Purchased: Nov 2014

Disappointed

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 02, 2017

A 30 tube system on the north end of west facing roof only gives lukewarm water, even in Brisbane.
Overly complicated system that has many, many, possible points of failure.
Plumbers avoid it like the plague because of the complexity.
If you think think this is a system that is going to save you money think again. Between needing to boost all the time & paying for service calls, it is a money pit & not a saving opportunity.
Installer(Infinity Solar) who we chose went broke. When service was required Apricus weren't willing to back up their product so we have been left to our own devices to find a service plumber.
After living in a house for 25 years with an Edwards Solar hot water system that needed only 2 service calls in that time, we would recommend you stick with a cheaper low tech set up rather than the Apricus dud we have here.

Comments
Apricus Solar Hot Water System Official

Hello, Thank you for your feedback. My name is Luke and I am the Customer Service Manager for Apricus – I have recently started with Apricus and we definitely would like to help you with this issue... read more »

Apricus Solar Hot Water System Official

Hello again, After our conversation on 10/7 I believe the parts replaced in your system has ensured the issue you were having is no longer evident. I am very happy this has led to the improvement i... read more »

UPDATE: 3 STARS. Apricus replaced the 30 inner tubes and flow control valve under warranty, which seems to have resolved the issue. My reasoning for three stars is because Apricus were not interes... read more »

Canberra

• 1 comment

Model: 250ltr Tank Date Purchased: Feb 2016

Poor Service

4 out of 5, reviewed on May 29, 2017

I purchased a new townhouse with Thermann hot water system. 13 months after completion, glass panel broke in pipe. On a Saturday morning so I did not expect service on weekend. However, on Monday, given complete run around. Insisted I provide original invoice for purchase and installation despite my not being the purchaser. Eventually the builder became involved and provided paperwork, then Apricus told me they would send an email and put a request in the system to have repair done. This was not an oven not working, this was me (in winter and ill) with no hot water for 3 days. Nothing is urgent to them. Eventually plumber arrived Tuesday afternoon to do repair. Builder advised he had issues with other systems in my complex, mine was not the first.

Comments
Apricus Solar Hot Water System Official

Thank you for your feedback, we are glad the issue is now fixed. We received notification of your problem on Monday afternoon from the retail outlet that sold the system and we had arranged a serv... read more »

You received notification from me when I rang you on Monday morning.

1 of 4 pages

315ltr Tank

We have 30 tube system and the manifold has had a fault and was replaced but can someone tell us how the plumber can extract the collector rods/ heat pipes out of the manifold without braking them?

PatB asked on Sep 16, 2017

Answer this

The authorized service plumber changed ours over and managed any issues directly with Apricus, it would be best to get your plumber to contact Apricus and discuss.

Many thanks Graham

315ltr Tank

I am not sure if the brownout caused it but we have only luke warm water and have had to use booster for the last two weeks. Could a blackout or brown out cause a problem with the temperature or controller of the water system??

Ant asked on Sep 15, 2017

315ltr Tank

Hi i live in Bendigo Vic with west facing roof Peter Carr Plumbing have suggested a 22 Tub 315 Lt Electric Boost Apricus system, I have had a New Energy System that lasted one year , now an Eco Smart it has just not worked and hard to get any help to fix it had it for 7 Years , my concern is all these Solar hot water units have cost me a lot of money so for with little to no cost savings, ? can i get Government rebates on a new system and will this system be good for me

Rinke asked on Jul 02, 2017

Answer this

Hi Rinke
Firstly, from my own experience, I think all this green crap is just that: CRAP! We do not have sufficient development of of materials to do what a good clean coal powered generating station can do AT THIS TIME IN OUR DEVELOPMENT TO POWER OUR HOMES. Having said that, i did invest in an Apricus Solar Hot water system, as it impressed me with the way in which it operated. I only got 1 1/2 years out of it before the electric water pump died - and left me with a huge $625 bill for a replacement. That was a very costly 18 months for hot water. I found that by lowering the flow rate to "minimum" put far less stress on the pump, and touch wood, this has now been going for the past 3 years without problems. The system works exceptionally well; but the water pump is its Achilles heel. Also about every 6 to 7 years you will have to have the insulation packing at the end of the tube array going into the heat exchanger replaced to maintain performance. I would not suggest getting a separate floor tank unit, as this still provides water pump problems - as well as consuming electricity. A suitable roof unit would be ideal. It certainly works on dull days, and in winter very well. If you use hot water for more than 1 shower in the early morning, I would suggest you engage the meter box timer to heat the water tank for 1 hour before the sun rises. This would be very important in colder climates down south.
All in all, it is far better than the majority of units I have looked at. with the provisos I have explained. Site the unit on the roof in a NW orientation, as this will give the best results.
I hope this helps you.

Hello Rinke,
An Apricus Solar Hot water system has market leading warranties to protect the customer from what you have been through with the other manufacturers. If there are any issues with our system pre and post sale at any time you are encouraged to call us on 1300 277 428.
Apricus evacuated tubes have been installed through your area and have a lot of happy customers there.
We would recommend 30 tubes with a 315L tank to get sufficient winter efficiency.
Government rebates are not available but STC rebates through companies like Greenbank are available and equate to around $1000-1200 depending on what system you buy.
Kind Regards,
Luke McKay
Customer Service Manager
Apricus Australia

Would recommend that you DO NOT INSTALL an APRICUS system . Our system is exactly 2yo but the Manifold on the roof has split with the frost! However the Controller ( with only a 1yr warranty ) has also failed so WE HAVE NO WARRANTY COVER whatsoever. APRICUS have stated that the cost to replace will be over $1000 and the same thing could happen next winter ! It would be cheaper to pay for your electricity than the cost of maintaining one of these systems.

See all 14 questions about Apricus Solar Hot Water System

Your question will be specific to the model that you've selected.