Date Purchased: Jan 2015

After 14 months major failures

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 16, 2017

Unit warranty not worth a crumpet. Pilot kept going out plumber replaces gas regulator twice and thermocouple at a cost of $350. The unit is only 16 months old. Buyer be ware very poor product quality to fail so quick. I took advice from plumber originally so he discounted the repair price, but should have gone with the Rinnai my original choice.

Purchased at: Reece

• 5 comments
  • 14 answers
  • 18 helpful votes

Date Purchased: Sep 2015

Been fine for me. particularly like the post mix valve.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 07, 2017

I have one of these. Surprised by all of the poor reviews. It replaces a same brand one that was about 12 years old that had started leaking. The hot water pipe into my house is smaller than I would have expected but this is not easy to fix unless one likes taking down brick walls. However the flow rate is good enough and we have three bathrooms. As a 65 yo, I have never had the fortune of living in a house where showers were not affected by other showers or washing machines etc., We do get a minor amount of this sort of issue but it is more to do with the hot water inlet pipe to the house than the how Water heater I would think.

Anyway, it is fine, we never run out of water, the pilot never goes out to date and I will be interested to see if it goes for 12 years like the last one.

The post mix valve allow the tank to be VERY hot and the outlet water to be a safer temperature. Much easier and quicker to adjust than adjusting a thermostat on a huge tank. You can get the outlet temp exactly where you want it in a few minutes and post mixing increases the effective capacity of the system.

I will update this review if it gets interesting. It even looks quite nice. The price is the price delivered alone, I think the Install was about another $100.

Date Purchased: Jun 2016

Totally useless

1 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 07, 2017

This hot water service konks out every month. Have to get plumber in to re-light. Should be replaced with a better HWS. Trouble from the first week I bought it. Feel cheated. My gas bill has gone up since I bought it. It is still under warranty but the plumber still says nothing.
Would you please tell me how to change my profile picture, I didn't choose it.

Date Purchased: Mar 2013

Choose another brand.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 20, 2017

Had a couple minor issues over the years now just under 4 years old and gas controller is busted. Will cost $500+ to replace. Will be installing a new heater of a different brand, not worth the hassle or risk of it happening again in a couple of years. 12 month warranty on such critical and expensive parts isn't worth anything.

Date Purchased: May 1999

Great unit

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 19, 2017

I am a plumber of 42 years and installed over 500 aquamax 390 . They are the best gas hws on the market ! In that time l have only had problems twice ! These other reviews are complete crap ! I recommend these units a 100 percent ! And buy the way l do not work for this company , but reading these reviews make me mad !

Date Purchased: Nov 2013

Don't buy Aquamax !!!!!!!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 11, 2016

I have a Aquamax 250L electric hot water heater, it is a peace of crap! I have had to replace the heating element in it 3 times since buying it not even 3 years ago and now I've just gotten home to no hot water again , Do yourself a favour and stay away from these unreliable pieces of crap !

• 3 helpful votes

Date Purchased: May 2014

This unit sucks! DO NOT BUY! Expect Problems!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 09, 2016

installed may-2014. already i'm having issues. pilot goes out every few days. seems the burner is stuffed! customer service is via rheem and they don't want to help at all. they insist that 12mth warranty is suffice and will charge you for parts and labour. seems like they know these things don't last hence the crappy warranty slapped on them.

when I bought the unit, was also told that it was the "rolls Royce" of all hot water units.... if my rolls Royce proke down like this after 2 years i'd want my money back!!!!!!

either way... do not buy this! totally misleading!

Perth, Western Australia

Date Purchased: Dec 2012

Expect Problems

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 06, 2016

We installed an Aquamax G390SS in December 2012. We were starting to have problems with our old system and I was working away a lot with a young family. I was recommended this one as it was the Rolls Royce of water heaters that would give us no problems. Anyway it was time for Saturday morning showers , no hot water. Checked the pilot light and it was out. Relit and then it went out again. Called Rheem and they advised that unless it was the cylcinder it would not be covered by the warranty. I organised a local plumber to come and see if it was a gas issue. His first comment was urgh an Aquamax. He ulled the burner out to find that it was full of water which was coming from the tank. Nothing he could do as it should be a warranty claim. After speaking with Rheem again they advised that they would need to organise their agent to look at the system toconfirm it was a warranty claim. They gave me the contact details for their agent whom I made contact with and they advised that they were replacing a lot of these systems after 3-5years as the water in the area was not agreeing with the welds. They also advised that they would strongly recommend an enamel vitrous unit which they could replace this one out under warranty with.

Date Purchased: Feb 2015

Aquamax 390ss - very disappointing

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 29, 2016

We bought an Aquamax 390ss about 18 months ago and it's performance has been very poor. Won't survive a shower from one of my kids (who do spend too long in the shower). But even 2 x shorter showers from adults and it runs cold. We had a Vulcan for 22 years and never once ran out of hot water. From what I was told by so called experts at Tradelink, this was the best on the market. We have paid 3 x separate plumbers to set the temperature on this because we thought we were doing something wrong- but no improvement. I had no success talking to anyone at Aquamax, so I emailed my concerns finally got a call a week later, but from a receptionist I believe, who didn't seem to know too much, but said I could have a serviceman come out and have a look at it for a cost of around $170. Rather than throw more money at this I passed. Having had to endure more cold showers and my wife having no hot water in the kitchen. I think we need to get something else that works properly. I note Aquamax have taken this off the market_- no wonder!

Purchased at: Tradelink

• 1 question

Date Purchased: Oct 2015

unsatisfactory, does not meet expatations

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 24, 2016

The AquaMAX 390SS supplies hot water to only one outlet simultaneously, the shower goes cold should any other tap is turned on. The manufacturer advised me that the supply line to the unit should 3/4" instead of 1/2" but the plumber disagrees. So we just have to put up with the inconvenience and ensure that do not do any washing whilst the shower is in use. Purchased and installed October 2015.

Aqua Max Tech was rubbish

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 07, 2016

Installed an Aqua Max 205 (outside unit) 12 years ago. Needed to call the service technician out 1 week after installation as pilot light would not stay lit. No issues with the unit till 3 weeks ago. Pilot light went out, cold shower. Relighted pilot light. One week later cold water again. Called Aqua Max service. Tech. attended. Adjusted gas pressures and cleaned a few things. That cost me $170.00. Two days latter cold water again. Tech. returns and replaces control valve. $204.00 thank you very much. Four days latter cold water again. Different Tech. attends. I'm not home this time and he says to the wife he can't do anything even though everything has been replaced, but Aqua Max will sell you a new unit for $1,277.00. I return home and I say to wife 'nonsense'. I'll sort out Aqua Max tomorrow. Now come on. Gas hot water units are very basic bits of technology so don't try and tell me that if all the hardware except the main burner, the storage tank, insulation and the external skin has been replaced then it won't work. Rubbish!!!

Do Not Buy Aquamax G390SS

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 21, 2016

My Aquamax G390SS was installed in Oct 2014.
Since then the pilot light had gone out several times. At first , I was able to re-light the pilot light and get it going for a few months.
Lately the flame had been going out every few days.
Called the local plumber who came and checked gas pressure , etc.
He said my gas pressure is too low and that I have to call the Gas Supplier to change the gas regulator at the gas meter.
Gas Supplier came and changed the gas regulator and lighted my Aquamax. Two days later , no hot water. Flame had gone out again.
Aquamax G390SS is a DUDE!!!
My previous Vulcan lasted for 14 years with no problems.

Cheapest price

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 15, 2014

My old one use more than 10 years, I look same name hot water system for my family that hope last looger.

• 1 question
Private message

AquaMax 135 - Do Not Purchase!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 05, 2014

Today i farewelled my aquamax 135 hot water system.
I shed a tear as i said goodbye as it was with me for only 6 years!!!
I would never recommend this brand to anyone.
When i called aquamax service, the woman spoke over the top of me and when i said "i am the customer", she hung up on me.
After 5 phone calls, i finally got through to the service manager, noel. After explaining the hot water system was only 6 years old and leaking, he so generously offered me a 20% discount on a new hws.
He made a point to say that plumbers would get very angry should they know this discount was offered to me.
One phone call to an independent plumber and he bettered noel's discount - what a joke!!!
Needless to say, the plumber got the job and i no longer have an aquamax!
Steer clear people!!

South Morang, Victoria

• 2 comments
  • 5 helpful votes
Private message

Follow up service is terrible!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 10, 2014

The unit was purchased 18 months ago with no issues and worked well to our expectations. After smelling gas leak late one evening, I was eventually advised by gas authority workers that the hot water service was faulty and had to be disconnected. I contacted Aquamax service department regarding repair and was advised that the item was no longer under warranty as the 10 year warranty was on the 'drum' only. They offered to repair/replace the faulty part for $600 plus labour. I contacted RACV Emergency Home Assist who advised that they could replace the part for around the same price, but that I had a claim under VCAT as this part was faulty, not damaged or affected by 'wear and tear'. I therefore contacted the Aquamax again to advise that I was submitting a claim under VCAT and had a written report from a qualified gas plumber stating the unit was faulty and illegal to use. I had a call back within the hour from the Aquamax stating they were prepared to fix the unit - I had it replaced and working by the end of that day.

+ Unit worked well to our expectations prior to this incident.

- Disgraceful that you have to threaten with VCAT to get reasonable service and/or repairs under their warranty.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Melbourne

• 1 comment
  • 6 helpful votes
Private message

Worked fine for a month.........

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 02, 2014

Had an Aquamax 200 for 16 years or so and I think the pilot went out once or twice in huge windstorms. Otherwise as reliable as a politician telling lies.

So I replaced it with a new G390SS which I understand is essentially the identical unit with a different mixing valve with a lower hot/mixed water outlet.

Fired it up and thought no more about it till a few days ago - no hot water. Huh!? Had a look and saw no pilot flame, so went through the simple procedure to re-light, which it did instantly. Only problem was that the pilot went out as soon as I released the knob.

AHA! - Must have a thermocouple problem, that could be the only thing. These are usually totally reliable, but could be considered a cheap consumable. Tested the thermocouple and found it to be working perfectly. So gave the thermostat/gas valve a few taps with a rubber mallet, hoping to free up the plunger which might have stuck, but no joy.

The thermostat/gas valve is the only "moving" part in the entire simple system, so had to replace the entire thing. The unit is now operating again with the new valve.

But I expected better than to have to replace the heart of the unit after 4 weeks.

+ It installed pretty much directly into the same location, only needed the hot outlet copper pipe redone.

- It died after 4 weeks.

Aquamax Service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 07, 2013

I recently purchased a Aquamax 390 ss and it had developed a minor internal leak. I spoke to Aquamax customer care on the Thursday afternoon and were very helpful. They sent a technician very promptly(on Saturday) of whom was also very helpful and fixed the problem without charge , under warranty.

+ Professional prompt service from both the service centre and the tradesman.

- none

Very Impressive

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 04, 2013

Just had a new Aquamax Hot Water System installed and i'm very impressed with it, there is more than enough hot water for me the gas consumption is excellent its a 5.3 star energy efficient Hot water system. The guys at veekenplumbing.com.au were excellent they recommended it to me. Very happy with everything from wo to go.

Nolan

+ Cost effective unit, running costs, performance

melbourne

Private message

Shower tap not hot enough

1 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 06, 2013

All the other kitchen, bathroom taps are hot enough. But the shower tap isnt hot enough when i turn to the maximum temperature. took me a long time to figure it out. still dont know why it is like this. can anyone enlighten me how to make the shower tap hotter?

• 2 comments
  • 6 answers
  • 15 helpful votes

Poor Product with Poor Warranty

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 03, 2013

I have an 18 months old Aquamax Solar / Electric Hot water service which developed a water leak from the heater element seal. I contacted Aquamax for a warranty claim only to be informed the warranty was only 12 months and the element was not covered. I consider this period of warranty to be very poor indeed as hot water services are expected to last a long time and 12 months warranty offered by Aquamax reflects badly on their product which must be of very poor quality otherwise the Manufacturer would be prepared to back their product with a decent warranty...I would never buy another Aquamax Product and I advise potentual buyers to always research the product first..

- Poor Quality with a Poor Warranty

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

1 of 2 pages

G390SS has a constant over flow of hot water coming out of overflow valve. How can I stop it?

Margot O asked on Nov 08, 2017

Answer this

There is a spring loaded tap on the overflow valve, operated by a curved silver coloured lever, that one pulls to open the valve and allow water out. I think it can be set to stay open. If you pull it and it was in the close position the flow should increase. If you push it down, the tap should close and the flow should stop. If it only slows then it is probably a faulty valve and you will need a replacement installed. That is probably a job for a plumber. If you open and close it a few time it may seal if a piece of dirt was in the way and stopping it from closing completely. The only other thing I can think of is that you mains pressure is very high and in that case you would need a pressure reducing valve to reduce the pressure to the heater. If it is too high, the valve will oer flow to protect the tank from pressure damage.

I have a gas aquMax G200N unit It I has two hot water outlets. I am only getting hot water in some tapes in the house. How do fix this? Andrew

Andrew asked on Jul 31, 2016

Answer this

I have an AquaMax 390SS but I can get hot water only from one outlet at a time. If the shower is in use, we cannot turn on any other tap as the shower goes cold. An employee of the manufacturer advised me that the cold water supply pipeline to the unit should be 3/4" and not 1/2", but the plumber who installed the unit disagrees with the manufacturer's employee suggestion. The manufacturer's employee would not give me that advice in writing, so you make of it what you want.

Hi Andrew. I can't help you with this question as I only had trouble with the pilot light going out.

Our AQUAMAX gas hot water system was working well for a number of years. But we now notice that the water is leaking in droplets from the drain outlet nonstop. Can somebody help? Thanks.

kvs asked on Apr 04, 2016

Answer this

The drain outlet is actually a pressure relief valve to release any excessive pressure in the system, you will find that this is faulty and is allowing the unit to release water at too low a pressure. It will need to be replaced as these are not repairable.

See all 11 questions about AquaMAX G390SS