Verified Customer Construction End Date: Mar 2015

Horrible Experience

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 12, 2018

My experience with Arden has been nothing but painful and a big waste of time. I really regret building with them. I moved in March 2015 and when I started landscaping, under the soil there was big chunks of bricks scattered around the backyard under the soil. Half a brick, chunks of brick, a whole brick etc.. So instead of cleaning it all when the build was done, why was it in buried into the ground? Not just one brick but scattered across the whole back of the property under the soil where we could not see it unless you dig up the soil. We removed bricks each time we tried to plant a tree.
The aggregate concrete had a crack. They recently said it was not wide enough so refused to fix it. Said that the warranty on aggregate concrete was 1 year and the crack is currently less than 1.5mm. We told them about the crack within one year but they did not get back to us until after that time and then said we were out of time and also told is that the crack is currently less than 1.5mm. When we first raised it with them nobody said anything that the warranty on it was one year and had to be more than 1.5mm. Go figure.
The major and most painful problem was the fact that the house was making a noise when the wind blows like a loud buzzing ship's horn. When we called them they said it's the wind's fault. So we recorded it and kept contacting them to get it fixed because it went sometimes all through the night and it was coming from outside the master bedroom. No one could sleep. A couple of years of sleepless nights and it still has not been fixed. Their people came in to try to and fix it a couple of times but it is still there. They have no idea why that noise is there or what is causing it so we asked them to get a qualified building inspector to come in because two weeks ago we again recorded the noise. It was still there. No reply.
We had to spend time arguing with them before they did something about it.
Initially this was the reply of their maintenance manager.
I received email from Bayhill in regards to noise front of property, they have advised the noise is wind blowing through gutters and gutters vibrating. The over flows have to be there as part of plumbing code, and these cannot be sealed up to stop vibration. As this issue is caused by high winds we cannot help you any further with this issue.
This is my reply to them.
That is not the case and you know it. If this does not get fixed I will be taking the matter further because it was a brand new house and it should not be making that kind of noise. I do not care for their silly reasons and explanation as it makes no sense. My parent's house was built new, it makes no noises, my sister's house was built new and makes no noises when the wind blows. Both not built with Arden. The wind does not even have to be high to make that level of banging noise at my house. And since your workers came in last Monday and did something, they have made the noise worse. Since I have moved in it has been making that noise to the extent that I cannot sleep. You are welcome to come sleep here in the master bedroom for yourself and see how long you last. Even downstairs you can hear it. Also tell those people in relation to their hand wiping reply, my neighbours house/gutters doesn't make that noise. My neighbour across the road also has no problems. The wind at my place must be worse than theirs or maybe all their builders didn't comply with building regulations hence why they didn't get any gutter noises. My house must be specially built by better Arden contractors that comes with noise when the wind blows. Makes so much sense now. I must live in a high wind zone being Keysborough similar to that of the North Pole. Please ask them to submit to me a wind report saying that there's been high wind problems in Keysborough since I moved in. There must be an invisible shield that protects my neighbours from the special wind they are talking about and somehow that invisible shield doesn't cover my house.
The finally agreed to fix it and said that it was the gutter clips that was the problem. Came in did something to the property but noise still there.
I would give them zero stars if I could. I have called them this morning again to ask for their legal departments details but they refused to provide any information and said someone will call me back.

Chirnside Park

Construction End Date: Feb 2018

Arden delivered our dream home!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 14, 2018

Our overall sales, design and building experience with Arden Homes with nothing short of excellent. From the moment we entered the display home to talk to the best sales lady in the land, the communication, honesty and ability to make changes was easy and exactly what we were looking for in a home builder.

This was our family home and we put our heart and soul into the design and choosing the ‘right’ builder. After our initial consultation, design and preliminary pricing it was evident that Arden was the right builder for us. The inclusions included in the base price are far superior to other builders (volume and custom). The quality of product was also a draw-card for us. All reputable brands with great reviews and quality products on offer. The transition to the office from sales was easy, the contract admin staff were easy to deal with, very thorough and always followed up anything we had concerns or questions about. The paperwork was easy to read, make-sense and also very well documented during the contract stages.

The build was a very nervous time for us, but our first-class SS made the process a breeze. His knowledge, attention to detail and care for the house he was building for us was clear from the very beginning. Arden delivered us our 40 square double storey home in just over nine months.
We pick up the keys this week and have done all our final inspections and defects (close to none). The build was near faultless; all issues were communicated and then rectified. All site works were done to a high standard with trades that actually care for their workmanship. We cannot thank Arden Homes enough and the staff we had that have delivered us our brand new family home!

The quality is in the finish and our home looks exceptional! Thank you again Arden Homes!

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Jul 2017

Dream come true!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 05, 2018

Hey folks, we went down the custom builder track based on Ardens display home in Keysborough which we were blown away with compared to other display homes. Initial process was pretty smooth and pain free..... we enlisted their architect to draw up the plans at a fraction of the cost of private architects and he did a magnificent job, could not have been happier. Tender and colour appointments went well and we were excited to sign on the dotted line.
Once soil was turned it was full steam ahead, these guys didn’t muck around. Our supervisor was in constant contact with us due to the unique design which required quite a bit of “on the run” decision making. I believe this method probably eliminated a lot of unnecessary mistakes.
Couldn’t complain about the length of build. We had anticipated 12 months but to our surprise it was wrapped up in 9 months!
After the excitement and stress of moving in we are now currently working our way through the 3 month maintenance period. Usual minor issues to complete which Arden have been steadily working their way through.
All in all we’ve had a very good experience and now have an awesome house all to ourselves (and the many people who stop out the front and take photos!) Cheers Arden, look forward to the next one.

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Mar 2014

OUR BEAUTIFUL ARDEN HOME, EXCEPTIONAL SERVICE AND QUALITY FINISH.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 01, 2018

We chose Arden Homes to build our second home a few years ago and could not have been happier with the finished home. We looked at a lot of volume builders but liked the fact Arden would sit and listen to us about what we wanted in our home and had much better inclusions than most of the other builders. During the build times there were a few issues and we had expected this to occur as we had other friends who had built homes that advised us not to expect all plain sailing. However to the credit of our site supervisor these issues were fixed and in the end our house was what we had always hoped for. We recently sold our home and when we had the estate agent around the best part was he thought that a custom builder must have built it as he couldn’t tell who the builder was and that it was really a credit to us. This resulted in a premium price when we sold as it was just not another volume house. We purchased a new block and have been back to Arden to look at building with them again and must say that we were disappointed as they were unable to help us this time around as our land had too much fall on it for the design we liked. However we would not hesitate to have built with them again.
Trent & Jill Boxall

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Oct 2017

Terrible Experience During Build & Support 3 Months Overdue

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 11, 2018

After reviewing a few different builders we decided to go with Arden Homes due to our ability to custom design the home how we wanted of which we found the design team very helpful. but from there things started to go down hill rapidly having old plans in the final contract signing and missing details (OF WHICH CAUSED MAJOR HEADACHES DOWN THE TRACK)after starting onsite things moved slowly then once the slab was poured things seemed to pick up speed then all of a sudden nothing was done onsite for at least a month or more....oh sorry your supervisor has left Arden (at this stage on our 2nd supervisor) then after they had started back on site we were promised that plaster would start on a particular date, 6 weeks later plaster started!
Everything from then was slow, our Supervisor wouldn't give us a final completion date and kept backing out of the question every time we asked.
Finally after 12 months we have moved into our house......... We have a major list of defects that still hasn't been fixed, with some major things to be fixed inc Kitchen cupboards, No insulation in part of the Roof!, gaps in the roof tiles (now have birds inside the roof), Very nasty flooring as standard of which we will be insisting on getting replaced!
i say make sure you get independent building reports at each stage, Check closely on your Contract and make notes of any discrepancy, don't move into the house until it is complete not half done!!!
And to cap it off, we are still waiting for the rental overdue payment 3 months later!!!

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Jun 2017

Beautiful and quality Arden home.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 13, 2017

Living the new house since July 2017, we're very happy with Arden homes beautiful design and quality work, the Votivo is the best and efficient design compare with too many display homes we went through...
There are few things we selected Arden homes: 1. The display home is the most closest to what we're looking for and price is not too much different between display home or not display home.
2.Size of the company: Arden homes is not a big company compare with others, which we believe will be cost effective and efficient/fast to build.
3.Easy/clear pricing: Arden homes pricing is quite easy to understand and follow, we haven't had any surprises at all.
4.Quality interior and exterior inclusions, fixtures, fittings, appliances : all quality brand name exactly you saw at the display home, save us lots of time and trouble, you just need pick colour or shape...
5.Local design/plan change: Although the display home fit us almost, we did made few changes on top of the original design/floor plan, back theatre room change to alfresco, swap pantry etc, Arden homes local support did very quick at very reasonable price, it's really good and convenient.
After we met our supervisor Nigel first time, we're really trust him and leave pretty much everything to him, for all building period include handover, we only met about 3 times... we feel very lucky as we're quite less stress compare with others...Thanks so much Nigel, Ellyn, job well done.
Despite all efforts, things might still go wrong, too many factors: trades, weather, suppliers etc, I guess this is inevitable doesn't matter which builders, the same with Arden homes, on final inspection and 3 months inspection, Arden homes rectified most issues very quick, some minor ones (list paint spots, windows sealer etc) left to 3 months.
Looking back, we're very happy that we made the decision go with Arden to knock down and rebuild our new house. Once again, thanks Nigel, Ellyn, John for all the help and excellent work!!!

Verified Customer Construction End Date: May 2017

LOVELY NEW ARDEN HOME !

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 25, 2017

We have been living in our newly built home from Arden Homes now for 4 months. We loved visiting all the Arden display homes and we chose the Votivo 2 story design which we really liked and it suited us best.The quality of the build,all the inclusions,the fixtures and fittings and any upgrades we added were spot on. We had a knockdown rebuild done on a sloped block and Arden took on this challenge.The new house build was a success and the whole process took approx 9-10 months from start to finish with a few bumps along the way as with every new home build but Arden made sure everything was sorted out for us to make us happy and satisfied. Family,Friends and anyone who visited our home were quite impressed with Arden as well. We highly recommend them to anyone who wants to build and can't thank them enough. A very special thank you to Warren and to our first sales consultant Jackie who was really helpful and so professional. 5 STARS

Verified Customer Construction End Date: May 2017

Can’t recommend Arden highly enough!!!

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 30, 2017

This is my second new home build, and I chose Arden for their high quality, very impressive inclusions and their custom home at a rate that I wasn’t able to beat with any other comparable builder. I went down the “custom design” path and designed my own single storey home with Arden. I’ve been in my new home for a few weeks now and couldn’t be happier. Family and friends who have built with the big volume builders have all commented on the high quality of finish and the high quality of all the fixtures and fittings compared to what they got in their homes. The site supervisor Terry was always on top of everything and easy to contact, I never felt like I was being a bother. My customer service administrator, colour selection advisor, tender presenter were all extremely knowledgeable and professional. Thanks to all the staff at Arden!! Another impressive feature I found during the Arden process was their transparency in their inclusions and in their pricing, there were no tricks or hidden surprises like you get with the big volume builders. I got exactly what I was expecting, great value for money and the quality is definitely on par with their display home. Of course there were little speed bumps along the way, if you are building a new home and expect everything to be smooth sailing you are kidding yourself, but whenever there was an issue it was attended to quickly, Arden’s approach was always professional and very fair, it’s clear they value their client’s and treat them fairly and respectfully. I am so happy that I chose Arden to build my dream home.

• 8 helpful votes

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Nov 2016

Started off good and then went horrible. Would not build with Arden again.

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 15, 2017

We have moved into our Votivo house for six months now. The build started off well although careless and silly mistakes arose during the build which I expected as no builder is perfect. The fact that Arden rectified them quickly was impressive. Handover was rushed since they wanted to squeeze us in prior to Christmas.

Everything then went downhill after we moved in. When we provided Arden with a list of all the defects during the three month inspection, I was expecting them all to be resolved in a timely manner. How wrong was!! It has now been two months since we provided the defects list and we're still waiting for warranty matters to be fixed. Yes some items have been fixed but only due to me constantly calling and emailing Arden to fix all items.

Coincidentally, I arranged for my gutters to be installed with leaf guards today and the contractor who went on my roof pointed out that Arden didn't even bother capping the tiles to my roof and I've been living in the house with tine holes in my roof. Emailed Arden building supervisor in the morning and warranty department demanding someone fix it today. They said they'd organise it but surprise, surprise still nothing. What makes matters worse is that during my build, I notified my building supervisor on various occasions that I suspected my roof was leaking. He assured me time and time again that he's had someone inspect the roof and it was all fine.

I've heard horror stories about builders and thought Arden were different but they are the same if not worse. The best way to rate a company is by asking if you would use their service again or recommend them to a friend. In Arden's case, it is a definite NO for me. Horrible experience and can't wait till I don't have to deal with them any longer. Seriously think twice and take your time before you choose Arden Homes. I won't be making this mistake again.

8 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

I would like to provide an update that the roofing problem in my post was not a defect at all. The repairers attended the following day and confirmed there is no leak and no holes in my roof. That part of my review is incorrect.

Gisborne

• 5 helpful votes

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Mar 2017

So disappointed

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 16, 2017

From the beginning it was obvious that Arden were not like the large volume builders. Actually it has felt more like a custom build without the enormous price tag. Our sales consultant gave us honest advice and up front pricing for everything so we had no surprises at tender stage (site costs etc). She was such a pleasure to deal with and we loved that Arden include everything we wanted as standard so if we didn't want to upgrade anything we would still have a beautiful home. Once we went to construction our site supervisor [name removed] was nothing short of superb to deal with. We built in Gisborne and [name removed] was local to the area which I liked. [name removed] was on site daily which I'm told in construction is almost unheard of. Any request we had was listened to and accommodated. Nothing was a hassle and my calls and texts were always answered and responded to immediately. [name removed] and Arden Homes have built us the most beautiful quality home which we are so proud and in awe of. We were so incredibly lucky and blessed to choose them as our builder and if I had to do it all over again, I'd choose Arden in a heartbeat.

* update 6/2/18 - we’ve been in our house almost 12 months and discovered after finding mould and water staining on the ceiling in our laundry that a pipe in our roof was not sealed and water has been pouring in since day dot. Arden sent a contractor to seal around the pipe but failed to follow up on the water damage. After phoning them they came out to inspect the damage and decided that it would be a patch job. They even proceeded to poke at the plaster with a metal key stating that if it was water damaged the key would poke straight through! Nothing has been done since. I’ve been told someone will call me but I’ve heard nothing. After having such a good build I honestly couldn’t recommend Ardem Homes. The worst case scenario (water leaking into our roof) has happened and now I’m left with nothing but disappointment

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 22 helpful votes

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Jul 2016

One of the Best Houses in Brookfield - Inspired Homes / Arden Collaboration

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 05, 2016

This build was via Inspired Homes who have their Displays down at Berwick. Arden Homes subcontracts to Inspired Homes under a bit of a strange relationship.

We have built many 5 previous houses so ensured that everything was included in the contract well before the first sod was turned. This proved painful for the poor staff at Arden and Inspired as I picked up every error in the documentation and required justification of every costing. To their credit the staff took it in their stride and happily obliged although some of the exchanges required follow-up and I did manage to miss one of the requirements in the contract with only minor consequence.

The build started quite late and I expressed my concern that they would miss the handover deadline of 30/June 16. The slab, frame and roof went up very quickly, there were errors in the framing stage that I jumped on very quickly, two of the walls were not correctly located but the building supervisor had these fixed. The brickwork was next and we were unable to attend over the weekend when it went up. Unfortunately we arrived after all the brickwork had been completed. It was a disaster, none of the joints lined up and walls were built on angles that were just a laugh. There was a 50mm cantilever of one wall at the front of the house forward of the slab. Arden inspected the issue and advised that they had promptly sacked their contractors. There were two options, pull all the brickwork down or render the whole house. After a lot of negotiation and discussion with the engagement of an independent Building Inspector, Arden was very apologetic and to be honest I wouldn't have wanted to be in their position.

I agreed to the full render so long as they also installed rock to the front of the house to complement the facade. Arden also agreed to provide a Jarrah deck to our rear Alfresco and assisted us to come up with new colours all at no additional cost to ourselves. Some minor problems continued throughout the rest of the build but to Ardens credit they finally got there and we are very happy with the result.

As a rental we are well above the standard of 95% of other homes in the Botanica Springs Estate. The house looks amazing and we had tenants fighting to secure it. Our agents believe that the home is one of the very best that they have seen in Brookfield so we are pretty happy and our tenant is very happy to move in.

We have just been through the three month warranty inspection and there is very little movement. The render looks amazing and the expansion joints show no movement. There are a few minor movement issues inside that Arden are scheduled to rectify (DEC 16).

This build may not have been the easiest that we have undertaken but it certainly was not our worst.

If you are reading this considering Arden as your builder, I offer you the following advice, read everything multiple times and insert your own detailed requirements, once you and Arden agree to them don't make changes. Make sure that you can attend the build, every weekend and inspect the property, take a tape measure with you to ensure walls are in the correct position. We have been bitten on numerous builds when we didn't do this so be warned. Arden are not immune...Also understand exactly what fittings and fixtures you are getting, take pictures when you are doing your colour selection and ensure that the detail is carried forward into the contract. Take the contract away an over a coffee read it and ensure you understand what everything means..I had them change multiple things I didn't agree with. In the end the more homework you do, the better your sanity and final outcome.

Quite frankly, you cannot expect any build to be a dream, you will have problems, but Arden have a sympathetic ear and they are professional in their approach to customers. I highly recommend them and would happily consider them as my first choice for any future builds that we undertake.

Regards
Mark B

11 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Officer

Verified Customer Construction End Date: May 2016

Excellent The Best Builder you can find around SE Melbourne

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 04, 2016

The Team at Arden are very professional and helpful, Would build again in near future and would recommend if you planning to build your dream house.
Right from the initial talks to the last stage of your house you will not regret the service, workmanship, follow up after finishing is great.
You always have few ups and downs during the build process but they are dealt very professional and friendly way.

Special Thanks to Andrew from Inspired Homes, Rick,Mez, Magdalina from Arden.

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Nov 2016

Couldn't be happier!

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 19, 2016

Nearly at handover of our Milan and very excited. The design was much simpler and classical compared to others we looked at and the Arden team was flexible and supportive of customisations to suit our family and our block. Our sales consultant was very understanding of our situation and supported us through the initial phase of bringing to life our dream. As we progressed, our customer service admin and site supervisor have been a pleasure to work with - open comms, quality focused and if there is a problem, responsive and solution oriented.

Clyde North

• 11 helpful votes

Verified Customer Construction End Date: Jun 2015

Be careful with quality of fittings and workmanship

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 16, 2016

This is the 4th house I have built and clearly the worst experience, workmanship in most areas of construction was mediocre and in some cases very poor. Clearly used seconds for many fittings and fixtures of which some were changed, low attention to detail and avoidance of repair or replacement if possible.
Make sure you get everything covered in 3 months or they will say it is not their problem, even if the damage or poor quality was there to begin with. Poor followup and attempted disregard for problems. BE CAREFUL.

11 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

So far, so good!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 12, 2016

The customer service as of yet has been great! [name removed] at Point Cook has been extremely helpful and the rest of the staff have been very friendly. The preliminary plans were drawn quicker than expected and was exactly what had asked for. At this point we are extremely happy with Arden homes and we look forward of what is yet to come!

October 20th 2017 Update: Started off good, now it's just frustrating

Once they did the handover they stopped picking up their phone and would take weeks to reply to messages or calls. The first day we moved into our home, there was a burst pipe behind out cabinetry and the water made it underneath our floorboards which are now completely warped- which is still not fixed, mind you the laundry leaked too. We have a hole in our roof (between the metal roof and the wall) that they have been advised about but still haven't come out to check it out- they just keep using the "3 month" line. Not to mention the paint work... just shocking!!! It's extremely disappointing to see how much they don't care about problems/issues once the handover has been made. I work for a home builder myself, luckily not this one.

Verified Customer

Great customer service and beautiful houses.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 26, 2016

Arden have responded in a fabulous way to our recent building concerns.The Votivo is a beautiful house and the design team allowed us to customize our house plans to suit our family without any extra cost. Building with Arden is simple and easy, it was great that there are no hidden prices to add stone benchtops etc. Arden went above and beyond what was required to make sure our plans complied with building covenants and design guidelines. What you see is what you get with Arden, the display homes are beautiful with big ticks everywhere for what is included!! The inclusions are excellent. We are in love with the Votivo :-)

Verified Customer

It’s been a dream building with Arden!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 05, 2016

After hearing all the war stories about building your own home, we were a little hesitant about the whole process. But we were pleasantly surprised with our amazing home and Arden’s professionalism.

All our concerns and requirements were met from start to finish by the amazing team. Even little issues/concerns were easily addressed and resolved without any fuss. They easily adapted their plans to suit our requirements, all while maintaining the high level of standard of an Arden Home. They made sure everything was correct upfront, so we knew what we were in for, no hidden catches and no over budget surprises!

The build went really well, very efficient and no delays – completed in under 6 months. All their tradies were of high caliber and very pleasant to deal with. The standard of workmanship on the house is exceptional, even impressing our independent inspector and real estate agent friend.

We have been in the house for 6 months now and loving it! Any minor issues that we did find once we moved in were quickly resolved – no dreaded dots on walls ‘to be fixed’, or unfinished parts; everything completed and working (to the Arden high standard).

So glad we chose Arden to build our dream home! We would definitely use them again.

Wall to Wall Excellence

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 12, 2015

A fantastic job by the Arden team with support from the office and great interaction with the site manager made this for a very easy build.
From the first meeting to the final hand over, Arden have been nothing but professional in the way they have managed my build.
I would recommend Arden Homes as your next builder. Drop in and see their displays, you won't be disappointed.

• 8 helpful votes

The Dream Build

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 30, 2015

After doing extensive research and reading reviews on builders, we decided to visit Arden display homes. Since that meeting we have been nothing less than impressed with this company and all the staff we have met on the way. The staff strive to provide excellent customer service, and will go above and beyond to help you achieve your dream house.

We needed to make changes the design of house, this was never an issue. In fact, they worked with us to find the most suitable plan for our needs, making suggestions along the way that would enhance our house. The staff are friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and professional, making the whole process relatively easy and enjoyable.

We are currently at lock up stage, and the build is on track to finish before Christmas. The standard of workmanship on the house is excellent, even impressing our independent inspector. Our site supervisor keeps in contact with us weekly to update us on progress. Any issues or queries are addressed straight away.

We have been so impressed, and enjoyed the experience of building with Arden so much that we have recommended them to several friends who are considering building a house.
I would definitely recommend visiting the display homes and meeting with Arden's sales staff.

Rowville

Exceeding all expectations

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 06, 2015

Just like everyone I did my homework before I chose the builder to build our dream home. We chose Arden and are extremely happy with our decision. Arden have been nothing but a pleasure to deal with from the initial sales paperwork through to construction. They have gone out of there way to accommodate our requests and make us feel like nothing is too much trouble.

The staff are very friendly and professional. And my experience to date has been nothing other than an enjoyable one. We are currently at base stage and my family and I are so excited for our new beginnings. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Arden to anyone thinking of building.

1 of 2 pages