Filter By:

Connection Type: ADSL/ADSL2+

Don't have to wait for good service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 14, 2017

I have a landline phone, ADSL internet, emails, business domain and website all bundled with Australia Online. I've been with them for more than 17 years.

I just love that I've never had to wait on the phone to receive good service.

Any time I've had a problem, (usually within a couple of minutes), I am speaking to one of their tech's. Unless it's a Telstra problem, it's usually resolved quickly and to my complete satisfaction in the one call.

This weekend on Saturday evening, I called because there had been no internet for the day.
Got through straight away. They quickly confirmed that the problem was on the landline (probably at the local Telstra exchange). They advised that Telstra wouldn't be able to send a tech out over the weekend, but immediately set in motion a request to Telstra. (Quite understandable).

The Telstra man came this morning, checked things here, then went to the exchange and found the fault was there. All fixed!

Sure beats spending hours on the phone trying to get the Telstra Robot Woman to understand what my issue is and then being re-directed to the (usually wrong) department.

I don't know if the price I pay with Australia Online is good or bad. (I haven't compared it in years). All I know is that I get far more service for the dollar than I'd get anywhere else.

Pleased with the experience

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 03, 2017

Just connected to nbn from adsl with Australia on line and had no problems as is always expected with the guys who work for Lizzy. Always polite in explaining to a non tech like me,helpful and patient fixing any problem I have had and not only could they understand me I could understand them. Being FTTN and a long run of old cable I am pleased with 45mbs most of the time ang 18mbs peak

Sunshine Coast

Connection Type: NBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)

Do yourself a favour and choose AOL

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 01, 2017

We have not had ONE problem in dealing with AOL. Our AOL NBN service is fast, reliable, reasonably priced and the whole process of having the NBN connected was a breeze. After years of having to deal with Telstra in a Telstra only area on the Sunshine Coast (QLD) dealing with AOL is a breeze. We feel like we have dodged a bullet in choosing to go with AOL.

Best internet provider around

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 29, 2017

Have been with Australia online for 5yrs now and have been very very happy with them..Would not go with anyone else..They are very polite and very helpful and understanding...Have recommended Australia online to all my family and friends and anyone who has asked who are a good Internet provider

Brisbane

Connection Type: NBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)

Very disappointing experience, to say the least.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 15, 2017

Very disappointing experience, unprofessional, unreliable, frustrating, inconvenient and happy to be rid of them.

Very inconsistent NBN speeds, unhelpful, unfriendly, discourteous to the point of rude and argumentative customer service/support.

Their NBN FTTN plan advertising and company policy says “up to 12 Mbps” yet we never ever achieved even close to that speed. Most of the time it was slightly above 10 Mbps or lower. In the evening during peak times we were lucky to get even that.

Asking a simple question over the phone or by em
ail was frustrating and annoying with incomplete, impatient, terse replies and/or vague answers often without addressing the primary question. Paying money and trusting a service to be reliable and consistent isn't unreasonable. Drawing attention to a major problem and getting an arrogant, argumentative response several times in succession is.

After recently sending the disconnection notice email with the day we wanted disconnection, etc., per their own policy, then with no response from them per their own required acknowledgment/confirmation. Re-sent it twice more to each email address listed on their website until four days later we received their acknowledgement reply, but without any specific or even approximate time when the disconnection would or could occur.

Having gone over our NBN quota, we were shaped to 256 Kbps. Understood and not a problem, however since giving them notice to disconnect, that almost tolerable 256 Kbps became suspiciously worse and so inconsistent that a YouTube video was impossible to watch, web pages timed out or couldn't load completely and any attempts to use the internet became like a game of roulette instead, wondering if it could be used at all.

Both ozspeedtest.com and speedtest.net results were frequently even below dial-up speed (less than 56 Kbps). Sometimes ozspeedtest.com would simply stall and couldn't complete the test.

After one recent particular phone call, an AOL man obviously too impatient to even care about the meaning of sincere customer service, and our asking a simple question of an approximate time we’d be disconnected, ‘C’ claimed complete ignorance of the procedure and details and fobbed us off to ‘M’ the manager who’s “in charge of all that”. After asking to speak with ‘M’ was immediately interrupted and told he’s unavailable, and we "must reply to their disconnection acknowledgment email" instead..

This makes sense; why ask any questions to someone employed in their customer service conveniently over the phone, who claims complete ignorance of their operations, in order to realize wasting further time by already unreliable email communication is the better method? Thank you.

Had to then email ‘M’ three consecutive times asking the same simple questions, even asking if they could disconnect us sooner but each response was either vague, brusque and/or ignored the primary question in the first place.

So instead of being disconnected on the day we requested, and despite their own confirmation email we’d be disconnected on that day, we were still connected to AOL a full day and a half afterwards with average NBN speeds of slower than dial-up. In other words, we were stuck in a limbo technically still being billed for and paying for a service we wanted cancelled, and was practically unusable.

Most likely AOL will comment on this issue by saying they’re not responsible after they forward the disconnection order to NBN. However, if we hadn’t already experienced such deplorable service from AOL overall, the coincidence of molasses-like internet speed since giving notice, plus their subsequent lack of decent communication makes it hard not to be suspicious there may have been no disconnection order placed by them in time, as we initially requested, and instead perhaps playing a vindictive, immature game to inconvenience us even further, because it's just too coincidental.

We were on a month to month no contract plan. Yet AOL billed us for the last entire month and ‘M’ refused to give a partial refund of the remaining 19 days we would no longer be AOL customers after disconnection. Company policy aside, no other word comes to mind here except greed.

We've kept accurate screenshots of every ozspeedtest.com and speedtest.net results for several months, and are considering lodging a complaint with the TIO for false advertising claims and ignoring even the NBN's guarantee of acceptable internet speeds under contract. According to Australian Consumer Law - they've been charging for a service that we would not have purchased had we known about the problems, etc., and to investigate if they’ve been truthful in sending the disconnection order for our NBN service on time for the day we requested, and which they confirmed in writing it would be done.

Being very busy with a FIFO mine site working schedule, plus moving house made lodging a complaint earlier too difficult. But now we have time, and especially given the latest examples of nearly useless, suspiciously slower than dial-up speed service, combined with their version of untrustworthy, unreliable customer service as well.

From other comments here, it appears AOL are quick to defend themselves in some way or offer reassurances that they’re ‘doing their best’. Yet you’ll notice they rarely accept responsibility and still manage to blame someone or something else instead. This is also immature and unethical behavior for any business, and sadly yet another example of how prevalent on average poor services and customer service has become in this country. And ironically they still expect to be paid for it.

They had their chances to show their best towards us but proved the exact opposite of what any paying customer is reasonably entitled to receive. Similar to paying for something and getting slapped in the face instead. With only the facts in mind, it’s guaranteed at least no one we know will consider dealing with Australia Online after explaining our own issues with them, or other negative reviews listed here. Regardless of their previous reputation and mixture of any current reviews, people can change and they’re still the worst we’ve dealt with to date.

Thanks for your patience in reading this. Good luck in your own consideration of AOL, but also consider yourself warned.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Connection Type: NBN HFC (Cable)

Australia on Line provides tech support for Dummies too.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 24, 2017

I can't thank the Australia on Line Team enough, for guiding me seamlessly through my transition to my new internet setup and my Phone line connection, via NBN.
With no technical knowledge at all, this was a task that I'd dreaded but you made it happen with ease.
Thanks again to the Australia on Line Team.

• 1 answer

Exceptional customer service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 08, 2017

I transferred to Australia OnLine from Optus. The longest part of the wait was for NBN Co to come and do the FTTN as Im in a new estate. Had to make a call this morning to get my modem reset and its working perfectly so far. The staff Ive spoken with have been very professional and polite. Whilst Optus told me I would not be allowed to keep my home number Australia On Line were able to transfer it to my new address. Would highly recommend this company to others.

Excellent Service and Price

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 13, 2017

Recently connected to NBN (FTTN) with Australia On Line. All of my dealings with them have been excellent. The package price was very good for what I required, with no lock in contract. Had a couple of technical issues to start, but they were quickly sorted by the helpful support staff who are Australian and speak English you can understand! The most I have had to wait to speak to someone was about 2 minutes. Wow what a difference from the big providers. Thoroughly recommend you give them a go!

South Australia

• 18 comments
  • 20 answers
  • 39 helpful votes

Connection Type: NBN Wireless

Not happy with dial up speeds even though i am on NBN fixed wireless with a speed booster plan?

2 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 26, 2017

Signed up recently for a $59.00 a month plan with Australia online (including the 25 speed booster) which costs an extra ten dollars a month. However has it has become very apparent that Australia online can only provide me with dial up speeds? It has also become very apparently that the speed booster packs (in my case at least) do not work at all? (So what am i paying an extra ten dollars a month for?) Have emailed Australia online requesting that they change my billing to $8.90 a month, (their current charge for dial up customers) as that is the ACTUAL service i am receiving.

Will wait and see what Australia online think of my request. Personally i think a complaint to the TIO might be in the pipeline?

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Australia On Line Official

Hi Lama girl, we are doing what we can to rectify your slow speed issue of getting 5 to 9Mbps on a 25 Speed Boost service, a problem which you advise is shared by everyone in your regional town irr... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Connection Type: ADSL/ADSL2+

Quality service and customer service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 04, 2017

I'm really impressed with both the customer service, and the service, that Australia Online offers. I needed unlimited broadband at home in a regional town in Victoria about three years ago for my work and they were the only company that would offer that at a reasonable price in that location. I've since moved house twice and have stayed with the company as - even if they might cost more than some other company (and I don't actually know if there is anyone offering better prices than them) - I very much appreciate talking to real people who t ake responsibility for solving issues rather than being put into long queues to talk to some (unhelpful) customer service person overseas. The Australia Online customer service guys speak clear, comprehensible English. They also explain IT jargon in simple terms if you're not familiar with the terms they are using. Best of all - they actually answer the questions that you ask, instead of misunderstanding, missing the point, or giving some "formula" reply that is unhelpful. When appropriate they'll also suggest other solutions or give extra information if they think it will help you with your situation. They go out of their way to make sure that things are working for you. Remember the days when businesses prided themselves on providing quality and service to the customers (rather than cutting corners to make more profit for the shareholders)? Well, that kind of responsible attitude is what I've encountered with Australia Online all the time I've been a customer with them.

I've been using ADSL in various regional towns over the last 3 years. The phone quality for talking was lousy (really crackly) at one point so when I mentioned that Australia Online got Telstra to come and fix it as they checked the possibilities and it turned out to be an issue with the physical line going into the house. Then I had a problem with frequent dropouts - they suggested a fix for that which worked straight away, though they had had some other options to try if their first suggestion didn't work. So there can be problems with the service once in a while, but in my experience Australia Online will do their best to get things working for you as fast as possible.

Narrogin Western Australia

Exemplary technical support

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 17, 2017

We've had a week from hell with the website being hacked and the emails blocked. Australia online have gone above and beyond to try and help us get back on track and allow the business to function. Thanks so much for your help and support. It's wonderful to speak to a technical support person who talks my language not IT language as well.

Melbourne, Victoria

• 2 comments
  • 1 question
  • 7 helpful votes

Verified Customer Connection Type: ADSL/ADSL2+

Unprofessional.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 24, 2017

We tried to transfer to Aust.Online but were quite unsuccessful. I am really unimpressed by their lack of professionalism.
I called Ozonline to transfer my ISP from iiNet, after being with them for over 20 years. I spoke to [name removed], who was very friendly, courteous and helpful. He said that i would get a text & email confirmation of the transfer request, and that it could be anywhere between overnight to 5 business days to be transferred. All good. That was Friday 13th Jan.
On Tuesday 17th Jan, I got a text from them saying they couldn
't connect with ADSL2 because there were no ports available and they will connect as ADSL1 (that was expected). However, I thought that getting a text only was a bit odd, and I had not received any confirmation text and email. I was a bit unimpressed about that. I sent an email asking why I had not received the confirmation as promised and [name removed] replied saying that they will keep us updated with the status of our order. He totally missed responding to my question about the confirmation email.
Then on Fri 20th Jan, I got a text saying they "cannot transfer our ADSL service as it is a 'SSS' service. We have cancelled your order and refunded you in full."
What??!!?
Just a text?!
No explanation of what this means?! Do you know what a 'SSS' service is? I don't!
And what's with the "sorry, we don't want you" attitude of this?! No alternatives offered? No suggestions? Just a curt, cryptic text?!
This is so unprofessional!
I had expected to have received a confirmation email: nope, nothing.
I had expected to see some way of tracking our order: again nothing.
I had expected my question to be answered: again missed.
If they were unable to transfer my service I would have expected a reasonably detailed email explaining exactly why, what our options are and what Aust Online could offer us. Instead we got a short cryptic, unhelpful text!
I emailed them to ask for more detail about this and [name removed] just sent a a brief email saying what 'SSS' is. No offer of any alternative, no mention of what we could do.
[name removed], I presume you'll ready this. I am REALLY UNIMPRESSED and disappointed in your service, in your lack of professionalism. If my money is not good enough for you then forget it, I'll go to one of the other ISPs that are also ranked highly here and on forums such as Whirlpool.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Australia On Line Official

Hi Greg, I'm sorry our communication wasn't more descriptive. After an amount of to and fro placing orders through to Telstra it became apparent to us that the only option for supplying the service... read more »

Hmmph. Only now have you told us that the only option available was to cancel the existing iiNet service and doing a new connection. If you had advised us of this then we would have considered it, ... read more »

Adelaide

• 2 helpful votes

What a difference.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 23, 2017

Connection NBN to the Note
Set up without problems except former provider IINET would not release my old phone Number so had to wait for new number.
Speed usually a bit faster as before but sometimes slows right down.
Customer service till now excellent, quick, polite and professional.
Would not change to IINet if it was for free.

Melbourne

• 8 helpful votes

Good customer service.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 18, 2017

I use their NBN. I am not sure about the speed, but i think it is okay. The best part is their customer service, the phone call will be answered in few seconds (really a human). I know my friends is using other provider and it takes around 7-10 minutes to answer the phone call

Connection Type: NBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)

Best service, best customer service.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 06, 2017

Perth

• 13 helpful votes

Verified Customer Connection Type: ADSL/ADSL2+

Best ISP in Australia, highly recommended, local tech support.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 13, 2016

Been with AOL (Australia on line) since I don't know when, maybe 10 years or more.
Started when 256 ADSL was available, have been progressively upgraded over the years without any prompting from me, presently we have ADSL2+ Line Speed 9.93 Mbps, Download Speed 1.24 MB/s and we're 3km from the exchange on an old Telstra copper wire service. We can watch/download 3 movies simultaneously, that's better than some who have NBN.
On the occasion when I have had to call them with tech issue most times it gets directly answered, rarely do we have 'wai
t music' and the tech is Australian, based in Melbourne and speaks English and they know what they are doing.
Never had any issues with billing.
Always try their best to resolve tech issues even when it's not their responsibility.
Once the Telstra tech broke one wire of my service (in the pit out the front) phone was out of action for 10 days but internet still worked, just slower.
If you sign up to any of their plans with a modem, the modem they send you will be preconfigured by their tech department, how easy is that?
Malcolm certainly made a poor decision when he sold his share in this company as they would have to be the best ISP in Australia.
Reliability 10/10
Account service 10/10
Tech support 10/10
What amazes me is this company hasn't got as big a following as what it deserves, you won't find a better ISP here in Australia.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 2 helpful votes

Connection Type: NBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)

Fantastic service ,great ISP.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 18, 2016

Member with 'Australia Online' since 2001 , excellent ISP, great helpdesk, very helpful in transitioning from ADSL to NBN. . NBN themselves created hassle in connection but 'Australia online' were persistent to resolve error. 2 weeks transfer time because of the NBN group. High recommend 'Australia online'

Connection Type: NBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)

AOL - Fine organisation to deal with.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 19, 2016

I had an NBN service connected in July 2016 but I ran into all sorts of problems caused by Telstra and Spintel when trying to transfer my phone number to Australia On Line (AOL). Telstra refused to transfer my phone number to Australia On Line (AOL) as Spintel had applied to transfer the number to them and Telstra refused to tell me who had blocked the transfer. After a lot of work over two months, including letters to the ombudsman,Telstra and Spintel, AOL resolved the issue.

The installation and set-up was very quick and straight forwar
d. I plugged in the modem as soon as it arrived and I was able to log onto the internet immediately.

I have had the service now for 3 weeks and I have had no problems. I opted for the basic 12/1 Mbps speed knowing that I can bump it up to a higher speed should I need to. I am getting on average 11 Mpbs and whilst this is a little slower than the ADSL broadband service I had before switching to the NBN, I find it sufficient for my needs.

I should point out that AOL staff are a pleasure to deal with.

• 4 helpful votes

Connection Type: NBN Wireless

Couldn't be happier, bye bye Telstra.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 04, 2016

Recently my Telstra contract expired and I decided to give Australia Online a try after reading many reviews on this website. The setup was easy and even the NBN part of the process went smoothly. My connection is fixed wireless at 25 mbps and I consistently achieve speeds of around 23 mbps dropping to 14 mpbs during peak times, which is to be expected. I also have a VOIP phone which has been trouble free. I have rung a couple of times and usually have Michael or William answer the phone after a wait of a 1 or 2 minutes. Great service - Thank you.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes