Filter By:

Sydney

• 1 review

Sender or Receiver: Receiver

STAY AWAY, MANY OTHER SERVICES FOR SHIPPING FROM US TO AUS THAT ARE MUCH BETTER!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 16, 2018

This is an example. I bought two swimming underwear which weight 0.7kg combined. After some recalculations they are weighing it in as 1.75kg. And the costs of shipping is $78!!!!!!!! shopmate takes GST and further GST for the government
Breakdown:

Chargeable weight:
Package value: 1.7kg
Base charge:$22.95
Weight charge:$19.80 (what the?)
Extra Cover$7.50
GST for value of good:$21.06
GST for ShopMate shipping and service fees:$5.03 TOTAL $76.34

I have used bongous before and shipito, so far shipito has been the best and they actually care. I call shopmate and the man couldnt give a stuff, even scoffed and said well you can return it back to sender.

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hey Kate, Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I've done some calculations and have calculated that this amount is correct. Our ShopMate shipping rates are made up of: ... read more »

I just want people to be aware that aus post should go off the actual weight not some cubic weight rubbish so that you can charge more. You dont have to pay GST to the USA retailer for an overseas ... read more »

Verified Customer Sender or Receiver: Sender

Shockingly bad

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 16, 2018

My package was considered "banned" as it had vitamins in it. So, I could return it (at a cost) redirect it (at a cost) or dispose of it (at a cost).

Another service would ship it, but ShipMate changed $40 to send it internally to them, yet the goods were $20 delivered.

Avoid, shocking, try myus.com

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hey Heathster, Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. Some substances like vitamins cannot be imported or exported without permission of the Commonwealth Department of Heal... read more »

Sender or Receiver: Receiver

Amazon customers, avoid like the plague!!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 10, 2018

I wish I could've rated this 0 stars, the service is abhorrent. I used it as I needed a quick mail forwarding service for Amazon after the change on July 1. I bought a simple PS4 which originally Amazon would charge around $4-$7 to deliver to Australia. These shopmate scumbags charged me $36.04 for a game which weighs less than 500 grams. Good Lord, I wish I read the reviews here before using that cursed piece of crap. Please avoid, I implore you. You'll regret this. Use UstoOz instead.

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hey Ahmed,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us regarding your experience. I'm sorry to hear that our service didn't suit your needs.

Exorbitant delivery cost

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 09, 2018

Way too expensive delivery cost and almost impossible to know how much the delivery will cost based on the Shopmate shipping calculator. I’ve had much heavier and larger so called ‘cubic weight’ items delivered from overseas using other delivery companies for about 1/12th the cost I was charged for a delivery from the US. Shopmate needs to significantly lower these costs or this service will likely cease to exist. I thought I’d try this service, but regretted doing so when I received the Shopmate delivery invoice, but by then I was committed to proceed with the purchase. Surely, Shopmate can lower these delivery charges and still make a profit.

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hey Shazam,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

Shopmate is a rip off

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 01, 2018

$71 AUD to post 6 pairs or socks from the states - what a rip off. This is the last time I will be using this service. Waiting for the standard response: "We recommend reading our FAQs and using our shipping calculator before using our service..."The shipping calculator is crap - listen to the customers, your service is a rip-off. I'd expect to pay half this price for shipping socks - price is not fair never again.

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hey J_B,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and feedback with us, we're sorry to hear that our service didn't meet your expectations.

Melbourne

• 6 comments
  • 22 helpful votes

Sender or Receiver: Sender

Cleared customs and sat in warehouse for 6 days without sending.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 11, 2018

I had to rewrite this review as this service, Australia post and their employees are so incomprehensibly bad it disgusts me to my core.

They didn't even bother to proof their documentation as it clearly states that charges are 500g increments from 500g onwards.. Yet they charge a jump to 1500g. This is serious breach of the TPA, I wonder who was on coffee break with our tax dollars while this was supposed to be getting proof read?

Every time, I login to Shop mate or the Australia post portal, I have to reset my password (to the same one) , It works, Then the next day the same password fails.. How could they not have found that in testing? Its staggering.

How any modern I.T. team could deploy this broken garbage is beyond me, The worst company I ever worked for could not screw up this bad if they were trying.

Worse still, They are using our tax dollars despite not even bothering to test deployments, On NEWRELIC... literally the most expensive over the top analytics solution on the market,... Yes dumping tens of thousands of tax dollars into a performance tool , Before even deploying a working application in production!!!

Maybe get your focus right guys... Some I.T. middle manager did a shiny presentation about how great it was I'm sure while 2000 support tickets screamed completely broken. Great waste of money guys.

So my Shopnate delivery cleared customs 6 days ago and I have not even seen it yet. E-Parcel takes 3 days to get here so... Is this what happens when you complain... Someone "loses your package"?

**UPDATE**

I just tried to use "report a missing package" for an item that was sent to Australia a week ago that Aupost bodged scanning. The agent on the contact number lied to me and told me Auspost doesn't scan them customs does... Seriously? Your telling customers that? Auspost works directly integrated with customs AND IS responsible for pre customs scans.

When I tried to lodge a missing item on the website form, I filled out every field. It then told me (afterwords) I needed to login. I click login (i of course will have to reset my password again on this broken trash) instead of giving me a login in context, It takes me to a SIGNUP page with no way of going back, It DELETED 10 minutes of the text I wrote into the forms!!!! ...

Seriously! Guys.,. Every part of your website is broken and you deployed it in production!!!!
Every part of star track is broken, every part of auspost is broken! can you do a single thing correctly!??!?!

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hey there, It's a shame to hear that you have had such a difficult time with our services. Depending on the service used to send your article we may not be able to investigate it's whereabouts.... read more »

Verified Customer Sender or Receiver: Receiver

Slow rip off use other to avoid GST rort

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 05, 2018

It's expensive. No fast option. They impose the new mandatory GST on all low value imports which is a rort since some things are not available from local suppliers. Use another forwarder service to avoid GST rort just not "shipito" they knock things off.

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hey Bob the Builder,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us about your recent experiences. It's a shame to that the service didn't meet your needs.

Sender or Receiver: Receiver

You have to email your invoice in 48hrs on pain of $55 fine - no one else does this

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 02, 2018

I have no particular complaint of a bad experience or excessive costs (though my tiny package of a few weightless objects costing $35 is not easy to swallow) but the fact that PostMate will charge you $55 fee if you don't email your invoice (an absurd security risk in any case) within 48 hours is the only reason you need to not use them

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hey Peter, Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We always recommend checking out our FAQs and our postage calculator before you go ahead to make sure our product is right... read more »

Worst service Total rip-off

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 23, 2018

This is the biggest rip-off service I have ever encountered. I could not get a proper quote for how much it was going to cost to ship to Aus. I fell off my chair when I was charged three times by this service as three Amazon packages arrived on the same day but Shopmate refused to repack them despite offering this service. Steer clear. Don't use.

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hey Mink, Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. Unfortunately we can only repackage a ShopMate shipment if all packages are from the same sender. Although you may have purcha... read more »

mstrathmore@outlook.com

• 1 review

Verified Customer Sender or Receiver: Receiver

Do not use unless absolutely necessary.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 21, 2018

Incredibly expensive shipping option which is simply capitalising on the fact that Amazon no longer ships to Aus. A key part of the problem is that there is no accurate way to determine how much shipping will cost until your item arrives at their warehouse in the US. For example, I recently shipped a silicon iPhone 6s cover which weighed less than a 100g and cost $17 - the shipping costs were $38.57! Shopmate usually responds to this type of review with a canned response about "reading the FAQ to work out if shopmate is for you" but, really, there isn't actually a way to know what the size and weight of your package will be from Amazon, simply because you never see it until it arrives in Aus. Once your package arrives at shopmate in the US, your options are simply to accept the costs or send the item back to the shipper at your own cost - not an easy process because you can't easily ship *from* shopmate i.e. You are completely at the mercy of Shopmate.

If anyone ever wanted to know whether implementing the ridiculous restrictions that saw Amazon stop shipping to AU had an effect on local pricing only needs to look at the same item on Amazon.com and Amazon.com.au.

This has been incredibly bad for the consumer and allowed everyone in the chain to simply price-gouge; including Shopmate.

Stay away if you can.

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hey Mstrathmore, Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. If you are unsure of the size of your article due to the sender not listing it in their store you can always contact them to ob... read more »

Thanks for coming back to me Sami. Realistically, if you transact on Amazon (or eBay) often you will know that the entire ecommerce engine is structured around the automated sale up front. Contac... read more »

Sender or Receiver: Receiver

Ridiculous fees. Don't bother.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 20, 2018

Do not use these ripoff merchants. They charge ridiculous fees. I'm actually forfeiting my items as the shipping and holdings fees are 7 times the value of the goods.

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hey Tim,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. We always recommend checking out our FAQs and our postage calculator before you go ahead to make sure our product is right for you and doesn't catch you out unaware: http://auspo.st/2rSVycZ

Wollongong

• 1 helpful vote

Terrible

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 16, 2018

I was too stunned to reply straightaway at Shopmate's stupidity and incompetence.

I had to cool down before I could write this review.

After a lengthy time, I was advised that my package was 121 cm and as such it was 15cm too long. This is despite the fact that it only weighed 2 kg and was quite thin. They did not think that they could put the item at a slight angle and still fit it into any shipping space that was required.

I am now looking at a different shipping provider from the United States. I should have done this in the first place.

One dissatisfied customer.

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hey John, Thanks for taking the time to contact us to share your experience. We always recommend customers check out our FAQs and Shipping Guides before going ahead to ensure ShopMate is the righ... read more »

I have noticed that as part of your usual response, you say that you always recommend customers check out your FAQ's and Shipping Guides. Why not just fix your problems! John Flanagan

Never again.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 12, 2018

What a frustrating experience!
My package was delivered to Shopmate which i knew because the courier alerted me, i waited the 24 to 48 hrs for it to be acknowledged on my account, a week later after still not being marked as arrived on my account i sent them an email asking where it is. I was given a case number and told to wait the obligatory 24 to 48 hrs for it to come up on my account. I waited a few more days and still no response so i sent them another email and waited again. After more days waiting i got a response telling me that they could'nt send it because it was either dangerous damaged or prohibited. So I sent them an email saying that its a five and half horsepower honda motor, a gearbox and a flex drive shaft, what part of those items are either dangerous damaged or prohibited? They did'nt even know what was inside the package! Of course no response came back. Then i started ringing the 1300 number, long story short it ended up being too big and heavy (75kgs) for them to handle, why they never told me that in the first place i will never know. I really need this post hole digger ASAP as my current one is on its last legs, this American company is the only place in the world that makes this type of digger, so much for a speedy replacement. So now they are charging me $360.00 to send it to another freight forwarding company to try and get it to me, i hope this other company is better than Shopmate.
This has put me off buying anything from the States ever again.

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hey Mal, Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with is. We always recommend customers check out our FAQs and Shipping Guides before going ahead to ensure ShopMate is the right pr... read more »

Sydney

• 3 comments
  • 2 helpful votes

Sender or Receiver: Receiver

Outrageous postage costs. Impossible to estimate postage costs based on information given on website

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 10, 2018

The postage costs charged by ShopMate are a complete rip-off. What's more, the information provided on the website about postage costs is incomplete and makes it impossible for the customer to a get a realistic cost. For example, the final cost depends on the size of the packing box chosen by ShopMate, over which the customer has no control. In two cases where I used ShopMate, my items came packaged in an oversized box that would have been big enough to hold more than 10 times the volume of the items they contained. The weight category applied was also higher than the weight of the items, presumably because the weight of the huge box and additional packaging bumped it up into the next weight category. On top of all this, ShopMate adds further costs for "GST and local taxes" even though customers have already paid GST on their original purchase prior to the items arriving at the ShopMate 'warehouse'.

Despite poor service on two previous occasions I stupidly used ShopMate again for a purchase from Amazon that would not ship to Australia, and which I couldn't buy in Australia. My purchase consisted of three items of size xs ultralight outdoor clothing that added up to a total of just under 300g in weight, had a value of $200 USD, was free to ship within the US, and would have fitted in a small padded bag or small mailing box. The ShopMate website quotes postage costs as comprising a basic shipping rate of $25.25 + $5.45 for each 500g of weight + GST on the value of the goods and any shipping fees paid to the US retailer. Using ShopMate's shipping calculator I got an estimate of $58, which I thought was pretty steep but was close to what I expected from the basic website information and I decided to go ahead anyway. Once my package arrived at the ShopMate warehouse, however, I was sent a postage bill of $80! There is absolutely no way I would have proceeded with the purchase if I had known the postage cost was going to be this high.

I've noticed that ShopMate has received many similar poor reviews and in each case has responded with the same 'cut and paste' paragraph ("Thanks for sharing your thoughts. We always recommend checking out our FAQs and our postage calculator ..."). It would also appear that they use this cut and paste paragraph without actually reading the reviews. This response is unhelpful and patronising, and fails to acknowledge the lack of transparency in their website information. What's more, there have been no changes made to the information provided on their website so it appears they have no intention of making any real improvements to their customer service standards.

The outrageous postage costs charged by ShopMate cannot possibly lead to a sustainable business. I will definitely not be using this overpriced service again.

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hey BaaBaa, Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I understand your concerns and frustrations. We always recommend checking out our FAQs and our postage calculator before you go ahead to make sure o... read more »

OMG. Did you even read my review? No, I thought not. This response and the response given to other reviews on this site just provides further evidence of the appalling inadequacy of ShopMate’s cust... read more »

Sender or Receiver: Receiver

These days, only if you absolutely have too!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 04, 2018

With the new GST laws now in place, (July 1st 2018), and Amazon.com and UK, (and I assume Japan), no longer shipping to Australia as a result; if it's something you cannot buy in Australia; you have to use Shopmate. (OR SOME OTHER SIMILAR SERVICE. HINT).
I did not have a bad experience with SHOPMATE; but the cost is excessive. You pay to have the item shipped to Portland, then you pay $27, and now 10% GST on top of that, to ship to ship to Australia; and I just read that the Feds may impose a $5 flat tax on each and every parcel coming in from overseas as well.
It can take the cost of a DVD or Bluray, (I buy old SF movies, the titles are unavailable in Australia), up to a point where it's just not worth it. At a time when the Feds gave the BANKS a $17billion tax cut. And more to come.
I guess we have to make up for it.
I'll be curious to read about the sudden and dramatic fall in business Australia Post ShopMate in the USA experiences as people like myself just stopping online shopping completely. Which I have already done. No orders placed anywhere OS since May 2018.

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hey Betamax2012,

No problems here

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 02, 2018

In the spirit of fairness I've had no big issues with Shopmate. Shipping takes ages but it's always been slightly cheaper than using the default carrier. (Still abhorrently expensive though)
The other complaints here may well be valid, but people don't often leave reviews if everything goes OK so I thought it's only fair to show the other side.
Shopmate is not doing themselves any favours with all these lame boilerplate responses though, especially when they get so much criticism about customer service.

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hey Bjorn,

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback.

Sender or Receiver: Receiver

A necessary service which is User hostile and Overpriced. Use only if absolutely essential.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 28, 2018

This service does what it is described to do. I would not use it again unless absolutely necessary.
I was ordering small electronic parts from Amazon due to the recent Australian site price hikes. This ultimately ended up costing as much and took more time.
I found it unclear to use the website. Hidden charges and re-packing fees at every corner. Restrictions on what can and can't be repacked which are not openly advertised. Slow responses.
I would only recommend using this service if you were ordering an essential costly item that is not sold in Australia, but it is not a viable "cheaper" alternative to order products from less expensive American sites.

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hey Rick,

Appalling dishonesty!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 27, 2018

I bought a baby play mat.
My parcel was marked 4kilo on arrival. I weighed it at just under 3 kilo.
I was invoiced for 11.8kilo weight.
GST was charged for the item and for the shipping charge at the 11.8.weight.
I am awaiting compensation which was offered on contacting Australia post.
Had I posted direct to the babies parents I would not have known the true weights.
Similarly had I not read the invoice carefully(which I only did because I was so shocked by the cost.)
I used this service because it was Australian! Never again!

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hey Redberry,

Sender or Receiver: Receiver

I wish they had a zero star option

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 25, 2018

This service used to be fantastic, but now its terrible! Customer service is almost non existent, and the example pricing they list is not even close. I ordered 1 pair of women's sneakers which the site estimates to be around $42 shipped. My bill when it got to their facility was $88 & when i tried to get help via customer service, they just palmed me off. Look for any other forwarding site, stay clear of Shopmate!!!

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hey PeeWee,

Adelaide

• 2 comments
  • 11 helpful votes

Absolute ripoff

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 24, 2018

Absolutely ridiculous pricing. Bought a set of Hot Wheels collectors cars (value is only AU$50), yet ShopMate want me to pay $47 to send it from their warehouse to my address in Australia. Also, the parcel is only 0.5 kg, but according to them the "chargeable" weight is 1.3kg. The weight charge is an extra $15. For another parcel, which is 0.7kg, they have charged me for 2.2kg. If this wasn't enough of a ripoff, they charge you GST twice - GST for the goods (thanks to the government's new GST laws) and GST for ShopMate "Shipping and service fees".
What a joke. Seriously, the people running this should be ashamed of themselves. What would have cost me $55 at the most (including postage) to get to me, will now cost me double that thanks to this ridiculous GST law and ShopMate's so-called service.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hey Arj,

~Sami

I have used your services before, postage was very reasonable. That's why I thought I'd use it again. But yeah..thanks, will not be using your services again. There are lots of other freight forwarders out there that do a better job for a lot less.

Further to my review above, I finally received my parcel yesterday. On the box it clearly says - "Shipping weight - 0.9kg", but ShopMate have charged me for 2.2 kg. They have also consolidated 2 p... read more »

1 of 31 pages