Filter By:

Melbourne

• 6 comments
  • 21 helpful votes

Sender or Receiver: Receiver

Cant click checkout, Cant click "declare package". Caused by untested JS error.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 22, 2018

With no adblocker, privacy shield addons and using latest firefox these IDIOTS didn't even bother to test browser compatibility. Clicking buttons simply returns a javascript error, Completely unacceptable in modern computing to deploy code changes with errors like this and communicates a skill level of "enrolled in university but hasn't started yet"

Stinks of outsourced I.T. and the 5000 incompetent Auspost middle managers pretending they know what their doing being paid too much that should be fired.

I currently have no way to get them to send MY PROPERTY. Is this theft? I cant tell yet. They convinced me their product worked, I used it it didn't. The fact they didn't bother to test it means they could not possibly know it works and were fraudulently BSing it does. You cannot lie about a products capability, Its against the TPA! Hello Auspost,... Your not privately owned yet... You actually have to obey Australian legislation...

Verified Customer Sender or Receiver: Receiver

Do not use unless absolutely necessary.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 21, 2018

Incredibly expensive shipping option which is simply capitalising on the fact that Amazon no longer ships to Aus. A key part of the problem is that there is no accurate way to determine how much shipping will cost until your item arrives at their warehouse in the US. For example, I recently shipped a silicon iPhone 6s cover which weighed less than a 100g and cost $17 - the shipping costs were $38.57! Shopmate usually responds to this type of review with a canned response about "reading the FAQ to work out if shopmate is for you" but, really, there isn't actually a way to know what the size and weight of your package will be from Amazon, simply because you never see it until it arrives in Aus. Once your package arrives at shopmate in the US, your options are simply to accept the costs or send the item back to the shipper at your own cost - not an easy process because you can't easily ship *from* shopmate i.e. You are completely at the mercy of Shopmate.

If anyone ever wanted to know whether implementing the ridiculous restrictions that saw Amazon stop shipping to AU had an effect on local pricing only needs to look at the same item on Amazon.com and Amazon.com.au.

This has been incredibly bad for the consumer and allowed everyone in the chain to simply price-gouge; including Shopmate.

Stay away if you can.

Sender or Receiver: Receiver

Ridiculous fees. Don't bother.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 20, 2018

Do not use these ripoff merchants. They charge ridiculous fees. I'm actually forfeiting my items as the shipping and holdings fees are 7 times the value of the goods.

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hey Tim,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. We always recommend checking out our FAQs and our postage calculator before you go ahead to make sure our product is right for you and doesn't catch you out unaware: http://auspo.st/2rSVycZ

Wollongong

• 1 helpful vote

Terrible

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 16, 2018

I was too stunned to reply straightaway at Shopmate's stupidity and incompetence.

I had to cool down before I could write this review.

After a lengthy time, I was advised that my package was 121 cm and as such it was 15cm too long. This is despite the fact that it only weighed 2 kg and was quite thin. They did not think that they could put the item at a slight angle and still fit it into any shipping space that was required.

I am now looking at a different shipping provider from the United States. I should have done this in the first place.

One dissatisfied customer.

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hey John, Thanks for taking the time to contact us to share your experience. We always recommend customers check out our FAQs and Shipping Guides before going ahead to ensure ShopMate is the righ... read more »

Never again.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 12, 2018

What a frustrating experience!
My package was delivered to Shopmate which i knew because the courier alerted me, i waited the 24 to 48 hrs for it to be acknowledged on my account, a week later after still not being marked as arrived on my account i sent them an email asking where it is. I was given a case number and told to wait the obligatory 24 to 48 hrs for it to come up on my account. I waited a few more days and still no response so i sent them another email and waited again. After more days waiting i got a response telling me that they could'nt send it because it was either dangerous damaged or prohibited. So I sent them an email saying that its a five and half horsepower honda motor, a gearbox and a flex drive shaft, what part of those items are either dangerous damaged or prohibited? They did'nt even know what was inside the package! Of course no response came back. Then i started ringing the 1300 number, long story short it ended up being too big and heavy (75kgs) for them to handle, why they never told me that in the first place i will never know. I really need this post hole digger ASAP as my current one is on its last legs, this American company is the only place in the world that makes this type of digger, so much for a speedy replacement. So now they are charging me $360.00 to send it to another freight forwarding company to try and get it to me, i hope this other company is better than Shopmate.
This has put me off buying anything from the States ever again.

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hey Mal, Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with is. We always recommend customers check out our FAQs and Shipping Guides before going ahead to ensure ShopMate is the right pr... read more »

Sydney

Sender or Receiver: Receiver

Outrageous postage costs. Impossible to estimate postage costs based on information given on website

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 10, 2018

The postage costs charged by ShopMate are a complete rip-off. What's more, the information provided on the website about postage costs is incomplete and makes it impossible for the customer to a get a realistic cost. For example, the final cost depends on the size of the packing box chosen by ShopMate, over which the customer has no control. In two cases where I used ShopMate, my items came packaged in an oversized box that would have been big enough to hold more than 10 times the volume of the items they contained. The weight category applied was also higher than the weight of the items, presumably because the weight of the huge box and additional packaging bumped it up into the next weight category. On top of all this, ShopMate adds further costs for "GST and local taxes" even though customers have already paid GST on their original purchase prior to the items arriving at the ShopMate 'warehouse'.

Despite poor service on two previous occasions I stupidly used ShopMate again for a purchase from Amazon that would not ship to Australia, and which I couldn't buy in Australia. My purchase consisted of three items of size xs ultralight outdoor clothing that added up to a total of just under 300g in weight, had a value of $200 USD, was free to ship within the US, and would have fitted in a small padded bag or small mailing box. The ShopMate website quotes postage costs as comprising a basic shipping rate of $25.25 + $5.45 for each 500g of weight + GST on the value of the goods and any shipping fees paid to the US retailer. Using ShopMate's shipping calculator I got an estimate of $58, which I thought was pretty steep but was close to what I expected from the basic website information and I decided to go ahead anyway. Once my package arrived at the ShopMate warehouse, however, I was sent a postage bill of $80! There is absolutely no way I would have proceeded with the purchase if I had known the postage cost was going to be this high.

I've noticed that ShopMate has received many similar poor reviews and in each case has responded with the same 'cut and paste' paragraph ("Thanks for sharing your thoughts. We always recommend checking out our FAQs and our postage calculator ..."). It would also appear that they use this cut and paste paragraph without actually reading the reviews. This response is unhelpful and patronising, and fails to acknowledge the lack of transparency in their website information. What's more, there have been no changes made to the information provided on their website so it appears they have no intention of making any real improvements to their customer service standards.

The outrageous postage costs charged by ShopMate cannot possibly lead to a sustainable business. I will definitely not be using this overpriced service again.

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hey BaaBaa, Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I understand your concerns and frustrations. We always recommend checking out our FAQs and our postage calculator before you go ahead to make sure o... read more »

OMG. Did you even read my review? No, I thought not. This response and the response given to other reviews on this site just provides further evidence of the appalling inadequacy of ShopMate’s cust... read more »

Sender or Receiver: Receiver

These days, only if you absolutely have too!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 04, 2018

With the new GST laws now in place, (July 1st 2018), and Amazon.com and UK, (and I assume Japan), no longer shipping to Australia as a result; if it's something you cannot buy in Australia; you have to use Shopmate. (OR SOME OTHER SIMILAR SERVICE. HINT).
I did not have a bad experience with SHOPMATE; but the cost is excessive. You pay to have the item shipped to Portland, then you pay $27, and now 10% GST on top of that, to ship to ship to Australia; and I just read that the Feds may impose a $5 flat tax on each and every parcel coming in from overseas as well.
It can take the cost of a DVD or Bluray, (I buy old SF movies, the titles are unavailable in Australia), up to a point where it's just not worth it. At a time when the Feds gave the BANKS a $17billion tax cut. And more to come.
I guess we have to make up for it.
I'll be curious to read about the sudden and dramatic fall in business Australia Post ShopMate in the USA experiences as people like myself just stopping online shopping completely. Which I have already done. No orders placed anywhere OS since May 2018.

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hey Betamax2012,

No problems here

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 02, 2018

In the spirit of fairness I've had no big issues with Shopmate. Shipping takes ages but it's always been slightly cheaper than using the default carrier. (Still abhorrently expensive though)
The other complaints here may well be valid, but people don't often leave reviews if everything goes OK so I thought it's only fair to show the other side.
Shopmate is not doing themselves any favours with all these lame boilerplate responses though, especially when they get so much criticism about customer service.

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hey Bjorn,

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback.

Sender or Receiver: Receiver

A necessary service which is User hostile and Overpriced. Use only if absolutely essential.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 28, 2018

This service does what it is described to do. I would not use it again unless absolutely necessary.
I was ordering small electronic parts from Amazon due to the recent Australian site price hikes. This ultimately ended up costing as much and took more time.
I found it unclear to use the website. Hidden charges and re-packing fees at every corner. Restrictions on what can and can't be repacked which are not openly advertised. Slow responses.
I would only recommend using this service if you were ordering an essential costly item that is not sold in Australia, but it is not a viable "cheaper" alternative to order products from less expensive American sites.

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hey Rick,

Appalling dishonesty!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 27, 2018

I bought a baby play mat.
My parcel was marked 4kilo on arrival. I weighed it at just under 3 kilo.
I was invoiced for 11.8kilo weight.
GST was charged for the item and for the shipping charge at the 11.8.weight.
I am awaiting compensation which was offered on contacting Australia post.
Had I posted direct to the babies parents I would not have known the true weights.
Similarly had I not read the invoice carefully(which I only did because I was so shocked by the cost.)
I used this service because it was Australian! Never again!

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hey Redberry,

Sender or Receiver: Receiver

I wish they had a zero star option

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 25, 2018

This service used to be fantastic, but now its terrible! Customer service is almost non existent, and the example pricing they list is not even close. I ordered 1 pair of women's sneakers which the site estimates to be around $42 shipped. My bill when it got to their facility was $88 & when i tried to get help via customer service, they just palmed me off. Look for any other forwarding site, stay clear of Shopmate!!!

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hey PeeWee,

Adelaide

• 2 comments
  • 4 helpful votes

Absolute ripoff

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 24, 2018

Absolutely ridiculous pricing. Bought a set of Hot Wheels collectors cars (value is only AU$50), yet ShopMate want me to pay $47 to send it from their warehouse to my address in Australia. Also, the parcel is only 0.5 kg, but according to them the "chargeable" weight is 1.3kg. The weight charge is an extra $15. For another parcel, which is 0.7kg, they have charged me for 2.2kg. If this wasn't enough of a ripoff, they charge you GST twice - GST for the goods (thanks to the government's new GST laws) and GST for ShopMate "Shipping and service fees".
What a joke. Seriously, the people running this should be ashamed of themselves. What would have cost me $55 at the most (including postage) to get to me, will now cost me double that thanks to this ridiculous GST law and ShopMate's so-called service.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hey Arj,

~Sami

I have used your services before, postage was very reasonable. That's why I thought I'd use it again. But yeah..thanks, will not be using your services again. There are lots of other freight forwarders out there that do a better job for a lot less.

Further to my review above, I finally received my parcel yesterday. On the box it clearly says - "Shipping weight - 0.9kg", but ShopMate have charged me for 2.2 kg. They have also consolidated 2 p... read more »

• 2 helpful votes

Overpriced non delivery

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 24, 2018

After paying the exorbitant fees they charge, my package was sent to my local post office for collection. No notification was given to me to let me know I had a package to be picked up. Around the same time, there were issues with the website and I couldn't log in to track my package. I notified them via email that I was having issues logging in. No response so from shopmate. As I didn't collect my package, they have shipped it back to the sender in the US. It may have been better customer service to either attempt a second delivery or perhaps actually notify me. I have asked for a full refund of the fees paid to shopmate including the get since I was not getting my package. I was told they Auspost couldn't guarantee anything because shipmate is not owned by Auspost, they are a service in the US that they use and it's up to that service to refund my money. So in summary 1. Rip off (postage was $22 then they add in a while lot of other charges to at least double that price), 2. They are negligent in their duties, 3. Theft of monies . 4. On purpose, they are adding complexity to something that was previously done seamlessly. Do NOT use this service, there are other forwarding companies who are more cost effective, reliable and ethical.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hey Mis Shell, It's disappointing to hear that you didn't receive any notification that your article was ready for collection. It's possible your article hasn't been sent back to the US sender ... read more »

I spoke with someone from your office yesterday who advised that the article had infact been shipped back to the US on the same day it had been picked up from the post office where it had been sitt... read more »

• 1 review
  • 2 helpful votes

Disgusting experiance and overpriced

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 23, 2018

Will not use this awful service every again, disgustingly overpriced, slow, forced GST on items that have already had GST paid on them. Will be using ShipIto from now on.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hey Mick,

Joke of service I wont use again - wish I had read reviews earlier

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 16, 2018

Ever tried doing a masters degree without a textbook?

Purchased a US textbook for uni 4 weeks ago.
- Aus post has now had possession for 3 weeks.
- Shopmate took a week to find it in their US depot
- Charged me $45 for postage (book cost $45)
- And now I've failed my first two assessments because my text book still hasn't arrived and Shopmate can give no indication as to when/if it will.

Assessment - For the ridiculous fee for postage I would expect you to be able to tell me where my item is and when it will arrive, not "ohh just wait a bit longer, it might arrive today or tomorrow".

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hey Ripped off, Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent experience with us. It's concerning to hear that you still haven't gotten your text book so I've sent you a mes... read more »

Pleased my item has now arrived, though I wont be using the service again.

STANHOPE GARDENS

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Sender or Receiver: Receiver

Product arrived damaged, and I was overcharged!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 15, 2018

Tldr: DO NOT use this service, I'd sooner recommend watching a $100 note flutter in the water of my toilet as I flush it away. Parcel arrived ripped open like a wild animal tried to devour it and we got charged for 1.2kg parcel even though the Epost label says 200g.

This was the worst service I have ever paid for, I wouldnt recommend this service to my enemy. We purchased a limited edition item as a gift (value over $200usd), not only did it take longer than advertised to arrive, when we finally received it, the packaging had been cut open with a sticker saying "house opened". When we took the item out of the parcel bag, the item had been RIPPED out of its packaging. Remember how I said this was a limited edition gift? Now the next part that made this whole transaction hurt more was the overcharging, so I completely understand the policy of charging GST, that's fine and not my issue, but I happened to order the lightest computer mouse in the world weighing 30g, with packaging it weighs just over 200g. So WHY was I charged for 1.2kg parcel when the label on the parcel says 200g? Sounds kind of scammy to me.
I also found it interesting that when I asked the Australia post employees, as lovely and helpful as they are, they had no idea what shopmate was, making me feel like I'd been well and truly scammed.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hey Em C, Thanks for sharing your thoughts. We always recommend checking out our FAQs and our postage calculator before you go ahead to make sure our product is right for you and doesn't catch yo... read more »

Hi Sami, First of all, I DID check the information regarding your service and my parcel was small, it came in a padded bag which was the equivalent size of an Auspost PB4 bag. Just to be sure, I ... read more »

Absolute Royal Ripoff

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 11, 2018

Cannot believe the prices these guys are charging. Absolute rort. Then charging GST on items I already paid GST on for eBay. Double dipping at its finest. When I questioned it they said ring ATO. On top of that said after paying if I don't send them the invoice within 24 hours I'd be charged $55 fee. These guys act like ATO absolute legit MAFIA

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hey Ed, Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with the ShopMate service. We always recommend checking out our FAQs and our postage calculator before you go ahead to make sure our ... read more »

Poor service for a premium price

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 10, 2018

I used the service once for a book a vbit on the pricey side
Then I used it to transship some toys and a cd cost of goods 40 the items arrived but in two different packages from different amazon clients this ripoff wanted to charge me 120 postage and wouldn't combine the packages this probably would have resulted in a 60-70 postage instead of a lousy 7.50 decrease I sent them a email saying why can't you combine instead I am now being charged 10 for them to supposedly discard the items. They will probably put them on eBay. I wish I had looked at the choice article comparing such services otherwise I would have went to their competitors. They are trading of the Australian post name and are bloating their profits. Since this I have told my friends of the terrible service and have emailed the checkout this would be a perfect topic for their program. The ocean Australia post is on here is very red and with their current business model compared to their competitors and lots of horrific reviews on this site and elsewhere this venture won't last and their only way forward would be to close this and rebrand with another name but meeting the service levels and lack of price gouging of their competitors

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hey Grumpy customer, It's disappointing to hear you didn't receive the service you expected. Our ShopMate service does allow you to consolidate up to 5 parcels from the same USA retailer but as... read more »

Do not use this service! Can I put less stars? 1 is too many for Shopmate

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 07, 2018

Gonna try and simplify my Shopmate experience:
- Ordered my product. The tracking said it had arrived, but no word from Shopmate within 48 hours
- Contacting them by email is a joke. In 4 days I had 1 reply
- Calling Auspost wasn't painful, they were very nice, but clearly there was no communication between Aus and the U.S
- finally "arrived", after several days and no help from customer service. But due to the cubic weight shipping method, my 1.2 kg parcel is now 5.4. Costs almost $100 Aud to ship. Almost double the value of the initial item

Do not use Shopmate if you like a user friendly experience, helpful customer service, fair prices, and actually knowing where your item is

Do use Shopmate if you're a masochist I guess.

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hi Jack,

I'm very sorry for the frustrating experience with your Shopmate delivery, I can understand your disappointing especially with the price! I'm glad you have your item now though!

Priscila

Melbourne

• 4 helpful votes

Verified Customer Sender or Receiver: Receiver

Yeah, don't use these guys.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 07, 2018

I have made two purchases that went via Shopmate. I’ll run you through both to demonstrate the differing levels of service you should expect to receive.

First off, it is not cheap. However, postage from the US isn't anymore. So don't be under the illusion that you will be paying under $40au for anything, no matter how small. I don’t know how this stacks up against other companies but in my experience any postage from the US is high at the moment.

The first item I bought was marked as delivered and didn’t display on my Shopmate portal for 3 days (they advertise 2). I can live with that. I paid (a little more than expected) and it was sent with 24 hours. I received tracking info and had the item in about 5 business days in the condition it was sent. Not bad.

The second item is where I got the full experience. I brought this item from the same seller 1 day after the first item. I had the option to consolidate the packages but decided against it as I was impatient. I’m glad I didn’t consolidate considering what followed.

The second package was marked as delivered but didn’t appear on the portal for 5 days. I made contact to ask if there was a delay. The next day, I received an email saying my package was not at the warehouse and I would have to contact the seller to investigate. I wasn’t too pleased with the email as it felt a bit dismissive. I had a bit of back and forth with the Aus Post guy as I was stressing (the item itself was not cheap) but I was told it must have been delivered somewhere else and to contact the seller. So I went and asked the seller to follow up. The next day, the item appears in my portal. So, basically they just gave me the run around. Not really pleased but could have lived with it if that was the end of it.

Once again, I paid for the postage and sat back and waited. I got an email saying that it was sent (3 days later due to weekend). I was provided a tracking number but when I go and type it in, the parcel shows as pending. It has now been showing as pending for 9 days. A bit concerned, I contact Shopmate again to enquiry. A line from the email I received back ‘Looking at you Invoice, the estimated delivery time frame is (date) until (date). Beyond this time frame if you do not notice tracking results, please contact us and we are more than happy to assist you’. So basically I paid full price and only got part of the service and I’m told, ‘yeah, you’ll just have to wait’. How do I know it has left America? How do I know that it is coming to Australia and not Burkina Faso? What bothered me most about this is you are paying a lot for the service and there was no acknowledgment or concern that they haven’t provided the service you paid for. No apology for someone not doing their job, nope. Just wait until it doesn’t show up. Advice, if you use Shopmate, pay for the insurance. I have a feeling I will need it.

All in all, Shopmate is a terrible service. Even the good item delivery I had with them felt budget and reeked of lack of care and good process. The US has plenty of competitors that have much better ratings. I’ve now signed on to one of them.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hey Mike,

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on the Shopmate service, it's a shame to hear that you didn't receive the service you were expecting.

~Sami

Hi Sami, When you pay over $50 for a delivery of an item, a tracking number being scanned on dispatch should be a given, not an expectation (especially since you advertise we can track the item).... read more »

1 of 31 pages