Filter By:
  • 1 helpful vote

Useless - waste of money - frustrating - zero support

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 21, 2018

I'll never use them again. Terrible. I still haven't received my package 3 months down the track. Firstly - they refuse to send items that are clearly non problematic, but declare them as such. Defeats the whole purpose of finding an alternate postage system. In other words - you need a friend in the US, or another provider. Useless interface. Incompetent communication.

Not worth it

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 19, 2018

Auspost is a good idea in theory but when they charge you over double the price as you estimated because of cubic weight it’s just stupid. Since when is it the size of the box and not the weight? It was 1.3kg but chargeable at 6.7kg! So $150 to get something not even 2kg because it’s fragile and would’ve been filled with foam. Just ridiculous and the staff didn’t help at all. Repackage it and send it then if that’s the issue. Also it says ‘60 days of free storage’ and still says 33 days of FREE storage but adds additional charges after 21 days. So pretty much tell whoever you’re buying from to package it in the smallest box possible or face the ridiculous charges. Thought we’d go with a trusted service and also thought they’d offer to lower the price somehow but nothing.

Comments
Australia Post Official

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Tash W. We always recommend checking out our FAQs and our postage calculator before you go ahead to make sure our product is right for you and doesn't catch you out unaware: https://auspo.st/2JAKipW

Extortion - misleading and deceptive

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 19, 2018

I’ve never left a review here in my life but have been screwed so much by Australia Post I can only hope others do more research and avoid this service like the plague.

Their advertised costs are totally misleading!

The 20% discount on your first order doesn’t exist as advertised.

You have to specifically request additional ‘consolidation’ services, that’s come at an extra fee, to get it down to a reasonable amount, it’s not as cheap as advertised on their website, they initially wanted $120 to post two books from Amazon!! Are you fricken kidding me!?!? After being encourage to consolidate my order I’m now at $100 for the delivery of two books.... let that sink in for a while... $100 for the delivery of two books...

Sender or Receiver: Receiver

Seriously, do not use... Please, save yourself time and money/

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 13, 2018

According to tracking it arrived on the 3rd, it was uploaded to my warehouse on the 10th, took them 7 days to receive it when they claim it will take 48 hours.
Then wont ship the item.
Customer service is terrible..
DO NOT USE

Comments
Australia Post Official

That's really disappointing to hear though I'm not quite sure what has happened what happened to your item. Please look out for a private message from me requesting more details.

Priscila

Terrible, just terrible

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 12, 2018

Horrible service. I couldn't proceed to the payment and dealt with at least 3 different people while trying to get it resolved, which look up a lot of my time and was a real pain. And then finally I had to call to have it sorted out and they tried to tell me it was my fault for not giving a detailed enough description of my items (how did 3 people not manage to notice that over several days if it was such an obvious mistake?).
And their fees are so unreasonable.
Will NEVER be using this service again

also have you tried using it on a mobile device? Don't even bother.

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hey eyeroll, Thanks for sharing your thoughts about your experience. We always recommend checking out our FAQs and our postage calculator before you go ahead to make sure our product is right f... read more »

Sender or Receiver: Receiver

It's a scam somewhat, double the cost of sent items

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 02, 2018

Never bother with this service, it'd cost so much less to go through some random online sending it to you direct than using the website, every package I've ever gotten through the site has more than doubled the cost of the original product beyond what I'd pay if the item was already in Australia. It's beyond silly to expect this sort of treatment with mail or a service. I'm shutting down my account with them and warding EVERYONE away from using it ever again that i know in Australia. That'll include every pop-culture loving person at every convention in Australia that i'll be alerting to this terrible service being such a scam in terms of money grabbing.

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hey Desmond,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. We always recommend checking out our FAQs and our postage calculator before you go ahead to make sure our product is right for you and doesn't catch you out unaware: http://auspo.st/2rSVycZ

Melbourne

• 2 comments
  • 3 answers
  • 5 helpful votes

Verified Customer Sender or Receiver: Receiver

Couldn't repack an item, overcharged to forward it on

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 30, 2018

I ordered some lacrosse gear in the US and thought Shopmate would be ideal, with the brand-name backing of AusPost being key. The package arrived and was 117cm long, over their 105cm limit. No problem - surely this can be easily repackaged into a new box with a DIAGONAL length up to 117 - that would be a box of 105cm on one side. Nope, too hard basket. Pythagoras apparently never worked in logistics.

They could however forward it on, which would cost under $10USD for one-day priority post with USPS to another freight forwarder also in Portland, Oregon. Nope, they sent it via UPS and charged me $37. Cheers for that.

Turnaround times for customer service were 3+ days per email, requiring follow up before getting a response.. Specific questions went ignored. In the end this parcel took over 13 days just to get forwarded on.

You can be sure I won't use Shopmate again.

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hey VFR Boy, Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It's a shame to hear things didn't go as you expected and to hear some of your specific question were ignored. If you do decided to give the S... read more »

melbourne

• 5 comments
  • 3 helpful votes

Sender or Receiver: Receiver

Shopmate - delivery is missing an item

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 26, 2018

Another failure with Australia Post shopmate. I meant to ship 3 items from the USA. They stopped it because one item contained alcohol. So I asked to discard that one item out of three and I ended up receiving just one item. Not only that but charged for the delivery of the 2 items.

Called to open the case, they played the card of yeah your delivery has been collected so case is now closed.

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hi rekoaus, This isn't good to hear at all. I'd like to get to the bottom of what's happened here and see if we can fix it up for you - I just need a bit more information from you. I've sent you ... read more »

• 1 question
  • 1 answer
  • 1 helpful vote

Verified Customer Sender or Receiver: Receiver

If you love a challenge, then this service is for you!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 26, 2018

If you like a timely and well-orchestrated service, knowing where your expensive items are, being kept up to date with the status of your package or enjoy confidence in a brand you can trust, then don't use ShopMate.

NO REAL NAMES OR ACTUAL TRANSCRIPTS OF CONVERSATIONS ARE USED IN THIS REVIEW

The signs were bad from the beginning. Despite all the terrible reviews, I thought I'd take a gamble; preferring an Australian service from a well know provider for my first attempt at freight forwarding. I mean it's only the people with bad experience that post a review anyway, so surely that skews the results? By god was I wrong on that!

The shipping process is pretty easy, but once your product leaves your supplier and arrives with ShopMate, that's where the trouble starts.

After a short few days, my supplier notified me of successful delivery, but nothing showed up for days on my ShopMate account. Finally, after 4 days and constantly using the "Find my package" option, it appeared, but 'On Hold' for some strange reason...

"If your delivery is on hold for more than 24hrs, send us an email" they say... Well, I did that, and still heard nothing for another 4 days, until finally, ShopMate showed the product as no longer on hold, but as being "Contraband, Prohibited or Dangerous Goods".

Letting you in on a little secret - it was none of those. It was an ordinary garden variety mobile phone. Neither contraband, prohibited nor dangerous (unless you threw it at someone's head, which I honestly felt like doing).

I followed this up with a phone call, and the lady on the other end was quite nice, promising to follow up the issue, and send me an email with some photos and other details...

Finally, I get an email with the following (the only email I received through the entire process): “The cell phones are fine, they are intact, but the manufacturer keeps putting perfectly fine boxes inside of bags that tear easily. Lithium devices need 2 layers of intact protection, and will not transport in bags. All we need to do is remove the bag from these packages and ensure the box inside is closed properly, and it will be safe to ship.”

Wow - all you need to do is remove the bag, and it will be safe to ship! And that took nearly a week to work out...

I figure it went down something like this:

"Hey Bob, this looks like it's in a bag, can you come have a look?"
"Sure, Jim, but I'm a bit busy, I'll have a look before the end of the day."
"Hey Bob, did ya check?"
"Nah, sorry Jim, I didn't have time, but I'll look in the morning."
"Hey Bob, was it in a bag?"
"Dunno Jim, I'm not really good with these things - it looked and felt like a bag, but we'd better check with Frank. Frank knows bags real well."
"But Bob, Frank's on leave until Friday..."
"I know Jim, but Frank's the only one who really knows bags. We'd better be safe and check when he gets back."
"Ok Bob, you're right. We'd better mark it dangerous in the meantime."
"Good thinking Jim. Let's get a beer."

So, to cut a long story short, boxes are fine on their own, but if you put all of that in a bag, you're in for a hell of a ride. I figure there's a bunch of toddlers stumbling around the warehouse, and god-forbid if one of them gets their hands on a plastic bag. Parents, beware!

Nevertheless, they asked me to sign a damage waiver to take the box out of the bag. I do the same with my groceries at home - bag removal is once of the more complicated and difficult tasks anyone has to tackle - don't get me started on how many tins of malted milk and diet Pepsi I've had to throw away due to an improper bag-removal technique.

Now, signing a damage waiver on an $800 phone is not something I take too lightly; so rather than haphazardly trusting this bunch of buffoons with limited bag-management skills, I sent a reply email asking for more details.

Well having waited a number of days without any reply, so I followed up with another dreaded phone call.

The premise was simple - tell me what I'm signing away, or let's figure a better way to do this.

I'm pretty sure I got Jim on the other end of the line, as Frank would have definitely been able to help a bit better - Jim had no idea whether I was just wavering damage during their bag-removal routine or all damage from the time they remove the bag to the time I receive a broken $800 phone.

"Well, I have an idea", I said. "Why don't you just take the whole lot and put it in another box and ship it?"
"We still have to take it out of the bag."
"No. leave it in the bag, just take the whole lot and put it in another box, bag and all, and ship it. No outer bag. Two layers of protection. Done."
"That will change the packaging."
"No, it won't it's just the same as when you pick up any of these parcels and put them in a shipping crate, the crate doesn't change the packaging, they're still in the same packaging, but they're just inside a crate as well."
"This isn't being sent by ship."
"That's not my point, just pick up everything as it is, packaging and all, and put it inside another box and send it."
"We don't do that"
"What do you mean you don't do that? You have a consolidation and repacking service on your website."
"That's not how the consolidation service works."
"Well, take the whole package, consolidate it with some air and some of those freaking packing peanuts, and put it all in another package, and send it."
"We only reconsolidate when there are multiple items from the same provider into the same package."
"Well don't consolidate, use your repacking service and just repack it into a bigger box then."
"We don't do that, because that might increase the volumetric weight and increase the shipping cost."
"Jim, seriously, I don't care. I'd rather pay $10 extra shipping than have an $800 phone arrive at my door broken."
"We don't do that..."

Well, to cut an extremely long and frustrating conversation short, I told [name removed] to just find the hell out and let me know, as I had an increasingly limited time to just forget about it all and send my phone back to the supplier for a full refund.

The next day, I logged back into my account, and it looks like Jim and Bob worked it out together - I'm guessing Frank must have jumped in to help out - as my package had finally been accepted for transport. Mind you, I still haven't been sent a single email or notification for any of this.

I paid my $42, plus insurance (thank god), and bid my package farewell on its journey home.

You'd think it would all be over now - finally ShopMate have sent my package, and it's in the hands of someone else, someone I can trust with my package, someone who'll keep me abreast of its every movement, someone like Australia Post.

Well, no.

Logging into the AusPost website, my package comes up! Yay, you'd think. Oh no, the best the tracking can tell me is "Started - Customer Enquiry Lodged" Seriously, what? That was a week ago - where the hell is my package? ShopMate told me it shipped 4 days ago, and all you can tell me is that someone's lodged an enquiry? The enquiry that me, the customer, lodged a week ago?

3 days later, another update: "Processing..." Oooo, exciting, let's take a closer look: "Processing - Customer Enquiry Lodged" - Seriously? What the hell is wrong with you people?

And so, it stayed like that for 10 days.

At this stage, I've pretty much given up with this disaster - it's time to check out how to make an insurance claim. Note - this needs to be done within 30 days of shipment, so don't wait around to fill out a form - start filling it out now - what else are you going to do while you wait idly for your parcel?

So, I hit up AusPost and ask for an Extra Cover Claim form, which is the exact form I'm told I need to get - you think anyone knows what one of those is? No. instead, I'm told to fill out a complaint form instead…

Absolute disaster, but at least my parcel arrived in the end - a month after I ordered it - and thankfully undamaged...

Seriously, don't do it. Don't use ShopMate. Sure, you might have a pleasant experience, everything might go perfectly smoothly, but the balance of probabilities is you'll regret it.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hey Simo, Thanks for taking the time to contact us about your experience. We're glad to hear you received your article in the end. We apologise for any inconvenience caused by the delay, we ... read more »

Sender or Receiver: Receiver

Good delivery service but don't ask for anything extra.

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 23, 2018

I have used shopmate several times and found their prices similar to other forwarding sites. Their delivery times are ok, and while the tracking on the US side is almost non-existent, once it hits Chullora, it's good.
I used their consolidation service for the first time this month, and hopefully never again. My four small boxes were packed into a medium sized one which couldn't close properly, so one small box was a bit squashed. Every single one of the small boxes was slashed on one side, suggesting that no care was taken when opening my original packages. Very disappointing "service"

Comments
Australia Post Official

Thanks for sharing your feedback Odyssey, I appreciate it. I'll make sure your comments regarding our consolidation service is sent through to the product managers for their reference.

Sender or Receiver: Receiver

Lost our parcel, denied it, then overcharged

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 22, 2018

Terrible service, confusing and costs more than shipping direct from the US using FedEx it turns out. Also, we are still waiting for a delivery 4 months after we were supposed to receive it. Huge issues to do with batteries in a consignment which after several weeks came to nothing.

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hi Dave,

I'd be happy to check this out for you and see if I can find out what's going on, I just need a little bit more information from you.
I've sent you a private message, so please get back to me there when you can.

Sender or Receiver: Receiver

Expensive. Inconsistent rules. Untrustworthy website.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 22, 2018

They declared items as dangerous / gun accessories when they are clearly not dangerous and are items that you can legally post within Australia. Shipping back to US retailer was more expensive than the shipping from the US retailer to me! I was not able to open the website with my normal browser with ad blocking, privacy protection etc. It also failed to open on a "standard" browser with default medium protection as it needed to use cookies not allowed by that configuration. Very poor, that alone means I'll never be using the service again.

Comments
Australia Post Official

I appreciate you sharing your feedback with us about your browser restrictions. We don't have a license to ship gun parts or accessories, at all, so you cannot use ShopMate for these items. This in... read more »

• 15 helpful votes

What a Joke!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 22, 2018

Had a package 7kgs heavy and i was written an email by shopmate to say that the item is too heavy to be shipped to me in Australia! unreliable service suggest use usa2me. this will be the last time i use this service.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hi Ian,

This sounds very unusual, as we allow parcels up to 22kgs to be shipped through ShopMate (https://auspo.st/2qVIdyq). I highly recommend giving them a call on 1300 624 475 to clarify this with you.

Very good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 21, 2018

I ordered an expensive phone from America and was extremely worried about its safety on its journey home. Shopmate and auspost in general took care to ensure it got through to me safely. Though a little timely it was well worth the wait

Comments
Australia Post Official

Thanks so much for sharing Emma! :)

Melbourne

• 1 comment
  • 4 helpful votes

Sender or Receiver: Sender

Shockingly Efficient

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 18, 2018

I was prepared to be disappointed due to the many negative reviews of Shopmate here but my first experience was good. The shipping was fee was around the fee estimated by the postage calculator, and the parcel's progress was on time almost all throughout. There was a bit of a delay once it reached Chullora though, but the parcel arrived four days after it was processed there so not too bad. Parcel status was emailed to me all throughout.

Needless to say, I will be using this service again in the future. Good job!

Comments
Australia Post Official

Thanks for sharing Britney, so glad to hear this!

Roxy

No worries, Roxy. Just giving credit where credit is due!

Sender or Receiver: Receiver

USA warehouse pathetic. Australian delivery outstanding.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 17, 2018

I ordered a phone from the USA and it was delivered by FED Ex to the Shopmate USA warehouse promptly. I knew the package had been delivered but nothing came up on my Shopmate account. After two days I had to enter the tracking number on Shopmate's website to have the package seen on their system. For 7 days the package was termed as being 'on hold' for further inspection. No communication. Nothing. I had to raise an email inquiry with Shopmate as to what was happening. Only then was the package available to be paid for. Then for another six days there was nothing on Shopmate to indicate that the parcel had been scanned leaving the warehouse or anything other than the word 'pending'. Damn frustrating and annoying!
However, suddenly I received an update to say that my parcel had arrived at Sydney airport, followed by numerous notifications up till delivery.
The USA side of Shopmate's operation was diabolical but the Australian side was brilliant. Would I use Shopmate again? No. Despite the wonderful service once the package arrived in Australia, the frustration and concern that was caused by the USA operations were too much of a negative. I will go back to using ReShip.

Comments
Australia Post Official

I appreciate you sharing your experience with us here Eddie, and I'm glad at least one leg of your phone's journey was smooth. In future if you do ever need assistance with a ShopMate enquiry, I d... read more »

worst ever

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 16, 2018

VERY VERY EXPENSIVE.
They charge 3 times much than other shipping company.
Do not waste your money for late delivery.

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hi there, I appreciate you sharing your thoughts here. We always recommend customers read our FAQs and check our postage price calculator (http://auspo.st/1En0OlH) before they purchase, to make su... read more »

Sydney

• 1 comment
  • 1 question
  • 1 answer
  • 8 helpful votes

Rip off.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 14, 2018

I have used shopmate twice in the past month and both times the AUD shipping cost has been almost exactly what the value of the item was in the first place.

For example, the last item I purchased was a pair of trousers off Amazon.com. These aren't available in Australia or I'd buy them from an Aussie seller or bricks and mortar shop. Value of the item? US$33 Cost of shipping the item from shopmate's US warehouse to my front door? AUD$42.75, which at today's AUD-USD exchange rate is... wait for it... US$32.57. Dodgy.

So all their little calculations on size and weight of the parcel are bogus. For low value items such as these trousers, we don't even have the option of entering in estimated dimensions/weights/etc. they are simply charging you what you paid for the item as their postage cost to ship it two Australia. This means that we, the lucky Australians, get to pay double, thus our US$33/AUD$43.31 purchase becomes an AUD$86.06 purchase once it's landed.

There's no such thing as a coincidence - I thought it was odd the first time I was charged the same for postage as I paid for the item, but now it's become a clear pattern of gouging.

Don't use them.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hi there, We definitely don't just double the value of your item and make that your postage price. We have a couple of calculators on our website which will give you an idea of what to expect base... read more »

Yep. Uh-huh. Right. OK. Experience has proven that the charges for the items I sent through your "service" were simply calculated to be the same as the stated value of said items. Like I said... ... read more »

Verified Customer Sender or Receiver: Receiver

They'll do anything to take your money!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 12, 2018

I've had problems with-
1. Importing liquids: I was asked to provide chem safe paper work. I did that. Then they refused to send it anyway.
2. Consolidating packages: Can't be bothered sharing this extremely long winded story, however I was overcharged and through many emails I was refunded. Still felt ripped off at the end of the day...
3. Being charged for a 4.8kg when my package is 2kg: There's no repackaging option for this reason (SO THEY CAN RIP YOU OFF!)

Overall I find the whole service tedious and weary. It gives me that feeling when shopping in a third world country, always skeptical of where and how they're trying to get more money out of me.

I can't wait for the new GST to come in because SHOPMATE (yeah mates rates huh... lol) will see its downfall. People will resort to grey market posting through friends/acquaintances. This will mean that SHOPDODGE will crash which means less money in the Aussie economy. And you know what... I can't wait to avoid that tax and shopmate!

Comments
Australia Post Official

Thanks for sharing your experience with us Adyn. We always recommend checking out the FAQs which let you know what you can and can't send, as well as what postage prices you can expect: http://auspo.st/1En0OlH

Sydney

• 1 review
  • 3 comments

Sender or Receiver: Receiver

The worst and the most dishonest shipping service I have ever used! Will not use again!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 10, 2018

I have been using Shopmate several times and I never really paid attention on how the shipping costs are calculated.
Until last week I ordered a pair of boots and their weight is 2 kilos. According to the website, the shipping should cost $42.75. However, they charged me $52.70. I already paid for it and I don't want waste my time on getting my money back because the customer service is useless. My parcel has arrived at the warehouse for two weeks and they did not notify me. I contacted the customer service and they told me they didn't have my suite number on the invoice. I gave them my details and it took them almost a week to find my package. And After I paid for the shipping cost, they demanded I send them the invoice within 2 days otherwise they will charge $55 for administration fee. If I have not checked my email within 2 days, I will be charged more money for already overcharged shipping. It's the long weekend and I am going out on holiday. It totally ruined my mood. I will never use Shopmate EVER!

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hey Maggie,

~Sami

Did you actually read my comment? I checked the postage calculator and a 2kg parcel should cost $42.75. At least you should explain why you charged me for $52.70 instead of just copy and paste scri... read more »

Judging by what you said, I think it's very clear why I think your customer service is useless.

1 of 29 pages