Canberra

Private message

outrageous charges - don't charge you for accurate shipping weight

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 17, 2015

This service is a massive rip off. Instead of charging for the actual weight / dimensions they add on weight for some inexplicable reason. Completely unreasonable shipping charges - could have paid FedEx less.
never again.

Ripoff! Avoid this service

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 14, 2015

Charges double what should be. Had 1.9kg parkage and they charged me for 6.4kg! Total charge $80+, website would do it for $40. Avoid and if you need a forwarding company there are plenty cheaper alternatives.

MELBOURNE

Rubbish.

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 25, 2015

They wouldn't bundle my packages together for some reason even after my multiple attempts to find out why. The only answer they had was "That service is currently unavailable for your shipment". The auto notification that my parcels had arrived at shopmate also didn't work so my package was sitting there for days without me knowing. It took me to login to see what was going on to find out that my one of my items had been sitting in their facility for a week. Life your game Australia Post.

Shopmate is disgraceful!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 02, 2015

Everything that Australia Post puts their hands on does not work or has major issues. I have tried to have an item returned from their Portland Oregon warehouse for the last two weeks. Australia Post play a game called "pass the customer" around complaint! Australia Post must have learnt this from "pass the parcel" ! I have spoken to at least six customer services persons at Australia Post, and still no answers. The problem comes from the top employee - CEO - [name removed]. The best solution would be to sack [name removed] and his cronies and then start again!

Brisbane

• 3 comments
  • 1 answer
  • 25 helpful votes

Expensive and impractical. Cheaper competitors

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 16, 2015

Without reading the rules, I accidentally ordered some food from the U.S. and was surprised to see they actually allowed it through knowing the contents inside the package.

However, this service is just too impractical.

1. The AUD is too weak against the USD so if you are buying something in USD, calculate how much it is in AUD and see if it's still cheaper overseas

2. Australia Post is charging a ridiculous amount for shipping back to Australia. You'll find that any savings are completely wiped out by the dollar conversion, and the price for shipping.

Don't expect ShopMate to keep your suite number. Mine changed and I had to call Australia Post twice to get it sorted. They don't even have a dedicated support team, both advisers barely knew what they were talking about.

Finally, expect to wait at least 1.5-2 weeks for your parcel to arrive. You also have to provide an invoice when the item reaches Australia.

What a hassle. Not worth the time or money.

Terrible Customer Service and Expensive

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 24, 2015

I diligently followed the tracking of my items online and they stopped "moving" in Australia. Emailed and called Australia Post, took them a MONTH to get back to me to explain the delay. Still have no products and have been waiting 2 months......

• 6 comments

Shop Mate Service is Crap

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 29, 2015

I joined Shop Mate. Had a parcel delivered to their US address. For some reason cannot log in to declare the parcel and pay. Have called Australia Post twice to assist and all they say is someone will contact me to assist but no-one ever does and they say there is nothing further I can do about it. I will NEVER use this service again and regret ever thinking Australia Post might finally be doing something properly. Avoid the Shop Mate [dis]service like the plague. Sadly nothing lower than Terrible otherwise I would use it.

7 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Now, 5 days on after I posted this review and despite 3 telephone calls to Australia Post and case opened for investigation, still nothing heard from Australia Post. I expect what will happen in d... read more »

Well, it is now 8 July and despite my constant telephone calls to Australia Post all I have had is an e-mail from a no-reply customer service rep. advising me that I should try using Google Chrome ... read more »

Well, its now 13 July and still no contact from Australia Post of its [dis]service Shop Mate. Perhaps they should re-name this 'Don't ShopMate'.

Private message

Please do not use this service!!!! Total ripoff!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 30, 2015

Purchased some ski clothing and use this fraud of a serviced which suggest my 4 clothing item weighed 13kg. Repackage 6.9kg which cost nearly $100. The delivery company from the retailer (UPS) noted the total weigh of the parcel was only 2.2kg from their tracking site. Australian post said there was nothing they can do to investigate. Shopmate I truely hope you go down you pack of scum bags!!!!

sydney

• 14 helpful votes

Verified Customer

SHOPMATE (auspost US forwarding service) : Terrible, Will never use again!!!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 30, 2015

story is real simple.
I registered and bought some stuffs in the America. parcels arrived at AusPost Shopmate US depot 20th June and still sitting there.
WHY? because I can not login. the website login function is not working and I waited for days now as of today 30 June for that to work. I have been calling (believe me) Auspost every day till yesterday but I always got the "our technician will contact you" response.
Yesterday a technician sent me an email saying my browser is not correct and user will be only able to log in using CHROME (not IE not Safari not Firefox). 10 days I have been waiting and this is the solution I've received.
first of all, my hats to whoever built the website for being so loyal to Google.
secondly I have tried every browser available and that is including CHROME. and using Chrome wont help at all. SO still I cant log in.

I am literally stuck. my parcel is still at SHOPMATE US depot and I cant log in, hence I cant pay for my delivery fee. and therefore wont receive it.

this is the worst situation a forwarding company can get you to.

very disappointed.
Samantha

9 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Lewiston

• 10 helpful votes

Verified Customer

If it was possible I'd give a zero star rating

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 03, 2015

Rip off and terrible service. They advertise a $5 repacking fee which leads you to believe that you can have multiple items sent and repacked. Not so - on inquiry they only repack if they deem the packaging it arrived in was unsafe. Then they lose a now ridiculously expensive 200g package. Use MyUS - at least they do what they advertise and don't scam users.
ShopMate needs to go - users shouldn't be allowed to be treated like this.

10 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 17 helpful votes
Private message

Complete failure in logistics and customer service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 03, 2015

Do not believe any of the "FAQ" statements on their website (which states processing should take at most 3 days).

My Fedex parcel arrived at their Orlando facility on the 26th, but by the 2nd of July still hadn't registered on the online portal so I called customer service, who told me to wait 10 days (but why??) for it to be delivered. The customer rep couldn't speak english well and couldn't understand that I wanted to know when the status saying that my parcel had at least arrived in their US facility would be updated. So it's a week later after the parcel was delivered, and I have no idea where it is, or what the expected delivery date is, or if it's actually lost.

The company is an actual joke, if the Auspost decides to list you should absolutely short the stock.

17 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Sydney

Private message

Beware using Shop Mate. False and Misleading Advertising. Excessive delivery fees. Then no actual de

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 05, 2015

Beware using Shop Mate. We had a truly terrible experience with Australia Posts' ShopMate service. Firstly, whatever you buy in the US will be calculated at a much higher weight that the actual product. For example I was charged 12 kgs for a 5 kg baby swing purchased from US Toys R Us. Then, the 9 items I purchased online from Toys R Us were not delivered to me via courier, even though I was at home waiting for delivery. Australia post refused to deliver the items and dumped them at 2 different post offices in Sydney. After much stress we had to hire a car because Australia post threatened to return the goods back to the US. Dealing with Australia Post has been a nightmare. This was the resolution provided by Australia Post: Australia Post refused to provide a refund for postage and referred to their failure to deliver the goods as "unfortunate" and the need for us to hire a car to collect the goods from 2 different post offices as "collateral damage".... All in all, a terrible waste of money & time, awful service and an expensive lesson.

9 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Shop Mate Is A Scam

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 06, 2015

I have previously purchased with Shop Mate and has been successful. However this time has been a harrowing experience. My item was delivered to the Shop Mate address in Portland, USA on 26 June. I have documented evidence of the parcel being signed for and delivered. However, Australia Post have not notified me to say the parcel has arrived. Nor have Australia Post answered my email I sent to them on 2 July. I phoned on Friday 3 July and today 6 July with still no answer or outcome on my goods purchased. I would like an answer and a refund for my items purchased in America. I will NEVER use this service again. Judging by other comments from unsatisfied customers, it seems the people in Portland are suffering with kleptomania and Australia Post is refusing to help their customers.

• 2 comments
  • 15 helpful votes

First time using it..

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 08, 2015

I purchased a Kindle through Amazon and had it forwarded to Australia through Shopmate, this was my first time having anything freight forwarded from the US so I thought it safe to stick with Auspost. Be prepared to wait a looooong time for delivery, Amazon were really good with their end of things and were able to get my package to Portland in 2 days but then it sat at the warehouse for ages, even after I went online and declared it. Shopmate also have very high shipping rates compared to other companies and they like to overestimate how much your package weighs.
I guess I'm lucky I actually got my package delivered in the end judging from some of these reviews...
I'll be looking at using an independent freight forwarding company next time.

Australia

• 6 helpful votes

Verified Customer

Avoid ShopMate Entirely. They Are Not Australian. They Charge an Arm and a Leg for 3rd World Service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 22, 2015

They declare my Bear Gryll camping/survival knives as dangerous. I've been collecting and importing these knives for years through DHL without any issue.

Its legal to import/export these knives according to Australian/US Customs and State laws. I even directed them to all the relevant laws and acts. So I assumed these are self-restriction for handler's safety, which if true is fair, but when you check their schedule on "Dangerous and Prohibited Goods and Packaging Post Guide (620kb) (PDF)." There are provisions for these sharp objects if they are properly packed.

These knives are straight from the factories in their original packaging - bought straight from Walmart! Tried explaining it to their support reps but its like talking to a brick wall.

The first support rep sent me a URL to the PDF above and links to Customs import laws, which they obviously haven't read, because if they did they would know that its OK. She then closes the ticket without answering further inquiries. The second support rep apologizes for the action of the first support rep then send me the same freaking URL and links. I decide not to continue the fight with these halfwits and have my package redirect to a different US freight forwarder - BoxHop.

For redirection postage within the US they charge me a whopping $47 dollars! Walmart delivers the package for free, I should have avoided this banana of a company that is shopmate from the very beginning.

The reason I looked into them in the first place is because of the Australia Post branding. I've been paying premium prices for DHL for years and after hearing about Australia Post ShopMate - thought its a good idea to support Australian even if the pricing is premium - because I could at least expect the same premium services.

How wrong I was! The service is abysmal. Additionally, Australia Post is actually just subcontracting it to Singapore Post. Not very Australian! This is very misleading. The Australia Post branding is definitely tarnished.

Avoid the disappointment. Its a trap.

Pleasantly surprised!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 22, 2015

It was by default that I chose to utilise Shopmate..
(An American company informed me that 2 out of 3 of the items I had on order were unable to be shipped internationally due to marketing rights...)
I had heard that Australia Post had a new forwarding facility; so instead of shopping around, I decided to go with a known company as I urgently needed the products.

To my dismay I read the reviews online after I had informed the merchant of my US address provided by Shopmate.

I prayed that my package would be handled fast and professionally and lo and behold! just hours afterwards I received a notification from the merchant that the parcel had been delivered - I received an update from Shopmate (OIA Global Forwarding Service) that my parcel was ready to be shipped.

Perhaps I was just lucky to have a lightly packed parcel, but the shipping cost came to AU$48 as opposed to the initial US$60 quoted by the seller.

3 days later, I received another update that my package had arrived in Australia from Vancouver.

Total transit time from Shopmate warehouse to Sydney totalled 5 days.

Again, maybe I was just lucky or perhaps the previous reviews here were teething problems from a new project launched during the Christmas rush.

Anyone else with a positive experience?

Private message

Horrific Service. Outsourced postal service with no accountability. AVOID AT ALL COST.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 29, 2015

Purchased a watch from Amazon in the US, and the item arrived in Portland within 2 days. 3 days later, I receive notification that the item has arrived in Australia.

3 weeks later, I'm no further. Following 2 formal inquiries, 8 calls to Auspost, and as many veried versions of where the item is now sitting.

The Aus post representatives locally have limited knowledge at best of the outsourced service, and Shopmate have no direct line of contact other than email!

Absolutely appalled at the quality of the service. Will NEVER use it again. Extortionate cost for absolutely nothing. I wish I had read these reviews first!

• 6 helpful votes

Worst service possible

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 30, 2015

I totally agree with everything Dan K just posted. There is a problem EVERY single time I make the mistake of using them. NEVER again. My latest experience was the same. Regular order delivered in 3 days (from one side of the US to the other) then nothing and I had proof of delivery from Fedex. I lodged an enquiry and then heard nothing. 17 days and several emails later, they have apparently located my package but have labelled it dangerous goods (and it isn't - 3rd month in a row they have done this). You can't contact them except by email and they just ignore those. I sent a long email telling them I will be lodging complaints with EVERY relevant authority in both the US and Australia and package is now available to send but the price has risen dramatically. My order was for $55 US and they have just charged me $37.80 to send that. Ridiculous, considering that I could have paid $16.95 US and it would have been here 2 weeks ago. My package still hasn't left the US so will still take another almost 2 weeks to arrive if they get here at all. They are damaging Australia Post's reputation and please don't believe what read on their website. They do NOT charge by weight, they can hold your parcels to ransom, don't bother querying how they have calculated the charge because they won't respond, it takes weeks for anything to be delivered (the worst was 5 weeks) and they have on one occasion - taken 2 amounts of $30.90 from my credit card and so far have refused to refund the money they owe me despite 4 requests to do so. They are also under the mistaken impression they are Australia customs and they are NOT! I have a work colleague that has received a threat via email regarding extra charges from AQIS that are not applicable to her purchase and she has checked with them. I will be lodging those complaints. I have had enough of their horrendous customer service. Their website claims regarding delivery times are also untrue and should be taken as a "guide" not a service standard. I live in Western Australia. Once you lodge an enquiry and they "find" your package, it takes a minimum 5 days for it to arrive in Australia by air, a day or two at (so far) 2 different places in the Eastern States, then it gets dispatched to WA and they allow themselves 7 days to get here as advised by email. It usually is around 6 days. One package took a 2 week trip around NSW before they sent it to WA. No explanation given when asked why. They just ignore you. Don't bother calling Australia Post in Australia because they seem to have no idea what is going on. I have tried this many times and last week, I was told that I would "just have to wait until Shopmate sent me the notification email" . He also refused to provide a direct email address or contact number for them. It is nothing but extreme frustration dealing with them. I also wish I had read these reviews first. Don't use them. It has been the worst online shopping experience I have ever had and I do everything online these days. I purchase electronic cigarette pre-filled cartridges monthly and they label them "tobacco" despite the fact they do NOT contain tobacco. They are NOT illegal to import into Australia. I have sent advice from Customs, information from the relevant websites, lists of the ingredients and been through 4 different Acts of legislation which I have copied parts and sent to them but still get the same crap every month now. I have NO issues if I order and have them sent direct and Customs regularly open and inspect them - they only get delayed by 1 day when that happens. I only got sucked into using this service because of the falling Australian dollar and their rates are cheaper but it is definitely NOT worth the aggravation, the time it takes for delivery and poor service. I would now rather pay the more expensive postage and have them shipped direct. It is MUCH quicker and less stressful. I will be closing my account when this order arrives. I am very disappointed. I thought I was doing the right thing by supporting an Australian business but they have sub contracted to a Singapore business and don't seem interested in responding to consumer complaints.

Canberra

• 2 comments
Private message

DO BELIEVE THE NEGATIVE HYPE (SEE COMMENT BELOW)

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 04, 2015

Ok, I had one successful delivery and thought the same as Matilda below. 'Twas very silly of me.

It turns out the overwhelmingly negative online comments are entirely fair. My next delivery was delivered to Shopmate by couriers a month ago, but they seem to have lost the package. 2 emails (each of which took them a week and a half to respond to) later and they're no closer to locating it. It's also worth mentioning the email contact details were nigh impossible to locate, and there's no contact phone. I have no faith that the package will ever be found. The moral of the story is that the unfavourable comments reflect Shopmate's awful service, even if they occasionally blunder their way to making a successful delivery. AVOID!!!

7 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Update: the parcel has been found, so it's not lost. I just wanted to reassure people in similar situations that their parcel will probably be found eventually (although mine was still a month late).

• 3 comments
  • 1 answer

Shopmate is Woeful!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 13, 2015

My first Shopmate experience went off without a hitch so a few weeks later I ordered some tiles I had been dying to get my hands on for about a year. By the time they had arrived to Shopmates address in Portland I couldn't log into my account. I've filled out their new password email several times and have not received an email with log in details. I've contact Australia Post on three occasions in the last 7 days and still nobody can help me. Apparently Australia Post don't have anything to do with technical support, it all goes through Shopmate who are incompetent at best. I'm kicking myself that I didn't just pay for regular postage from the shop provider.

Simply put, DO NOT DO IT. Find another company.

7 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

I just want to say that is now 15 days since I first contacted Australia Post about the issues I'm having with Shopmate and still NOBODY has called me back. There is no customer service whatsoever.

1 of 25 pages