Perfect and surprisingly quick

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 13, 2017

Looks like my experience is rare, but I found the entire process incredibly easy and highly successful. It took longer for my package to get from it's US origin to the warehouse in Portland than it did to get from the US to Australia. Which just shows how quick AusPost was, as the entire process (from ordering to delivery) took 2 and a half weeks. Price ended up being cheaper than what the estimator provided and everything (large amount of skincare) arrived in perfect condition. After reading a lot of these comments I opted to pay the extra $5 for insurance, and despite having a fantastic experience I would still recommend getting it, just in case. Will definitely use again.

Comments
Australia Post Official

Thanks so much for sharing Liv!

Sydney

Horrific service, lost package

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 12, 2017

Ordered an item from the US which arrived in the Shopmate warehouse no problem however once the item was shipped from the warehouse to Australia the issues started to appear. Firstly, after 10 days, the tracking did not update. I called up and they assumed the package has been lost in transit. I will update if there is any improvements however so far the package is still lost. The only thing the support team said is that they will hope the package will arrive... useless...

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hi Liam,

I'm sorry to hear you haven't received your order yet. Can you please let me know what the case number is from when you called so I can take a look at it please?

12380687 Ticket says resolved, however this is most definitely not resolved

Great communication, far too expensive

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 06, 2017

Communication was great - easy to set up, plenty of emails letting me know when the package was sent and when it'd arrive. Professional.

Cost was another thing altogether. I bought two headphone cords at a combined weight of 60 grams and about 10 cm x 10 cm in a small package. No indication of cost, so I took a punt. It cost me $28. Just too much for such a small package, even considering handling costs.

I'd only use them again if I was completely desperate to get a package sent.

Comments
Australia Post Official

Thanks for sharing this Adam :)

We always recommend customers check out our FAQ section on the ShopMate website which can help with estimating costs: http://auspo.st/1En0OlH

Brisbane

ShopMate = ShopHate close to Zero customer support

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 04, 2017

I set up a ShopMate account, first article that arrived at my suite has been flagged as OVERSIZE... time to bend over and take the ShopHate treatment.
My mistake, I arranged shipping of an article to my ShopHate suite & then checked dimension/weight limits.

After setting up an account & booking the service I then checked the online shipping calculator for an estimate. I realised then that my article could be OVERSIZE according to ShopHate limitations. I contacted the vendor I purchased the item from (Amazon USA) but they had no way to verify packaging size or weight. I did google searches & the item looked like it would possibly meet ShopHate requirements (definitely under maximum weight but I could not confirm dimensional data of the article). I emailed ShopHate as soon as I anticipated a concern to advise the item "might be oversize" when it arrives as I could only estimate the dimensions. I was advised they would consider repackage the articles to meet requirements at a small fee.
I left this phone conversation feeling confident the matter had been resolved.

But..... No surprise when the article was flagged as oversize by 6cm! ShopHate has a 105cm maximum Length (actual length of unconfirmed article size has been measured at 111cm)

I contacted customer support & after no acceptable solution was offered by ShopHate I asked for the item to ship the article domestically to MyUS suite, I also emailed the domestic shipping details & quote to ShooHate under the concern number they provided me (MyUS is the same type of international shipping service but they do not have dimensions limits & charge only by the weight of the package).

The online domestic road shipping quote by FedEx from ShopHate to MyUS was USD$45.17 (Also MyUS international shipping quote to Australia was over USD$50 less than the original ShopHate quote).

ShopHate have now (after several times that I have followed up with emails & phone calls) sent me a domestic shipping quote of AUD$171 to ship by road to MyUS freight forwarder.

I contacted ShopHate again & asked why the item can't be sent with FedEX at USD$45, the response was we only use UPS AUD$171

So in short, ShopHate has be bent over a barrel and doing a remake of Pulp Fiction at my expense.

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hi there, I'm sorry to hear of the trouble you've had with your ShopMate order. If you can please share your case number with me I'd be happy to have one of our ShopMate team members review it and... read more »

12195582

12195582- still MORE problems

I will email AustPost again with details

Dealing with shopmate is like living in a distopian Monty Python novella.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 01, 2017

Sent me a an invoice with arrival date. I paid their fee. Month later nothing. I called them. A jar of metallic paint flakes is being held at the warehouse in the states. After a few calls they asked for a Data Sheet for paint flakes. Seriously? I sent it. No response. Week later, told they'll get back to me. 4th time. Not holding my breath. Pretty bad..Meanwhile, I've got a job on the bench costing me money and a customer waiting.

HERE'S AN UPDATE: See how many contradictions you can pick, also remember they've taken my money and I've sent them all relevant documents.
*Note: this is a single email body of text. "It maka no sense!"

Update for Investigation - 11989367
Hi Steve

Thank you for your patience whilst the team in the Shopmate Warehouse have been reviewing your parcel.

Unfortunately we are unable to ship this to Australia and we are unable to arrange for a carrier to collect your parcel to take it to any other location in the US, as we are unable to confirm that the contents of the parcel are not dangerous.

Dear Steve

Thank you for contacting us about your ShopMate account. I am happy to assist you with information today.

I am very sorry that it has taken us longer than anticipated to get back to you. We are currently experiencing higher than normal enquiry's, and are working hard to make sure that we get back to our customers as soon as we can.

At this point you have three options which are;

1. Request that the full package or only the prohibited items be discarded (a $5 fee applies)
2. Request that the US warehouse returns the package to the merchant - for them to do this you will need to provide us with a returns label. This can be obtained from the merchant. (Postage fees will need to be paid by the merchant or yourself in addition to the Return Handling fee of $5)

For option 2, please also advise the value of the contents of the package and a contact number for the sender

I’m sorry that we are unable to ship this item to Australia for you. Please let me know how you would like to proceed.

Regards,
Andrew E
Australia Post

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hi Stevel,

I'm sorry to hear of the trouble you've had getting your paint order. I've reached out to our ShopMate team and have requested someone contact you as soon as possible to discuss this, so you should hear from them soon.

Private message

It won't accept my Australian address!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 28, 2017

I tried to set up my delivery address. The address fields have a maximum character length of 12 so it either rejects or abbreviates names and street names etc. Totally useless.

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hi Rob, That sounds a little unusual. Is this a Parcel Locker address you're trying to use? As a work around, you could try abbreviating your name to a first initial and your last name, for exampl... read more »

I discussed with the ShopMate team who came up with an abbreviated version that I wouldn't feel comfortable using. Isn't a 12 character limit for a name or address field too restrictive?

Kalgoorlie

Good experience with Shopmate

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 27, 2017

I have been buying in from the USA for about eight years and only recently found out about Shopmate.
I received my first parcel yesterday and will receive my second one today and found the system very good and simple to use.
The poor reviews I read from the 'snowflakes' on here are, I suspect, written by people that are very hard to please no matter what and have unreal expectations of every service they will ever use.

To get from Oregon to me in regional WA in two weeks is an acceptable timeframe and the cost was more than reasonable.
I only took one rating star off for the fact that when the parcel is scanned in at Chullora NSW, it is the last tracking event in Australia until I receive it. This is important to me because often I need to keep a customer informed.

I will definitely use this service again.

Comments
Australia Post Official

Thanks for sharing Brad, appreciate it. Glad you like the service.

Roxy

Just to follow up, my second parcel showed up the next day as expected.

Private message

1 Star is the lowest possible rating that can be given, but that is still incredibly generous

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 26, 2017

Great idea in theory, Australians would have loved this service if it wasn't so poorly managed.

First of all, I had a hard time even logging in to my Shopmate account - then I had a hard time declaring any of my packages on the site. Finding the Shopmate customer service-number was a mission too (on purpose I bet), and then the wait time was pretty long to speak to someone.

Secondly, the item weight-listed is always more than what it actually weighs, even with the packaging. I'm generous, so I let that fly, but THEY WILL CHARGE YOU THE "WEIGHT" BY PACKAGE SIZE even if it's mostly air. They tried to charge me 6X the actual item weight.

You can have your packages re-packaged (for $5) so it will be smaller, and charged less to ship - but that option isn't obviously shown when you are at the checkout. I had to call and wait 15 minutes to get that sorted. Still in the process, but I will keep this updated.

Watch out, Shopmate is a money-grab rip-off.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hi JJJ, Thanks for your feedback on your shopping experience. I'm sorry you had trouble with a few different sections of the website, what browser are you using? We find Google Chrome to be the sm... read more »

Thanks for the heads up, I was using Google Chrome. Why is the $5 re-packaging option isn't shown at the check-out page? You'd think that such an iconic company like Australia Post would have the... read more »

Positive experience

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 22, 2017

Just had a vey good experience with shopmate customer service as soon as I sent an email they were on the phone to me sorting out my problem
All resolved with a discount for shipping even when it was the retailers fault.

Comments
Australia Post Official

Glad to hear that was all sorted out Robert, thanks for sharing!

Roxy

Just had the worst customer experience with Shopmate

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 16, 2017

I have actually used this service several times before and had no issues. But this time it was so bad that I will never use them again (though I was expecting as some point this would happen based on all the bad reviews). FOR ALL those people who say they are not sure why people are complaining about this service - I used to be you once. You may never experience this coz you're lucky or your goods are not dangerous. But the minute it goes wrong, they will NOT give you the service to fix the problem (that is my main issue).

Firstly it's very expensive and is only worth it for bulk/larger items. They don't offer consolidated packaging. Also it does take ages to actually register a product when it arrives (allow another 2-3 business days at least!). I was ok with this because I found it reliable and too lazy to look around.

But this last time - was the strangest experience I have ever had. I paid for 4 packages to be sent back home - only three package made it 2.5 weeks later (although they advertise 5 to 8 working days?) - that's when I realised my fourth package wasn't coming. When I called they told me there were dangerous goods (but never contacted me in the two weeks since I had paid to deliver). I straight away sent invoice and followed up next day - confirmed to discard and send asap (I was also on a two week time limit before I left again). When I still hadn't received a confirmation 72 hours later I called and found out US hadn't given reply. Later that day contacted me that there was another dangerous good. So I told them to discard straight away and demanded refund (which they agreed). Only sent the box the next Tuesday US time (I had confirmed on a Friday day) and money order for refund a week later - so neither arrived before I left (will not be back for another 6 months)..... I had told them I was on a time limit - they all were very acknowledging of it but did nothing to actually help make it go faster.

Am on the hunt for a better services and there seems to be heaps of options out there that are similar price (and maybe cheaper) and offer consolidated packaging. https://www.choice.com.au/shopping/online-shopping/buying-online/articles/shopmate-and-us-freight-forwarding-services

I will never be using shopmate again.. my main concern was not that a mistake occurred but that it seemed ok for them not to handle it or have any obligation to take responsibility. I had to do all the following up and pushing (and that didn't even work!). That's not ok when you are paying as much as you do...

Comments
Australia Post Official

I'm really sorry to hear about your experience Tam. If you'd like to share your case number with me I can definitely take a look at this.

Roxy

Mostly a reasonable experience, this last time not so

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 14, 2017

USPS tracking shows my parcel arrived Oregon on 9 June.
Parcel doesn't show in your system until today 14 Jun
Website not working with Chrone, Firefox or Safari:
Unable to Declare my package's value, hence get it despatched. Case No. is 12018742

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hi Deemac, Looking over your case it looks like this issue has been resolved. If you still need assistance, you can give ShopMate a call directly on on 1300 624 475 between 8am-6pm (AEST) Monday –... read more »

No Complaints

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 10, 2017

Received three packages from the US via Shopmate. Hiccup with one but sorted in a couple of days after I phoned the help desk. Person I dealt with was good.

The only thing I would ask them to do is copy the NZ Youshop screens. Looks like the same freight handling company in the US does AUS and NZ. NZ screen is more user friendly.

Other than that I am struggling to find anything wrong. Will be using Shopmate again.

Comments
Australia Post Official

Thanks for sharing Jack!

Roxy

Not sure why people complaining?

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 09, 2017

Great service. I have used shopmate around a dozen times so far and perfect every time. It is the easiest and best way to use the US ebay site and shop direct from US online retailers. Well done shopmate

Comments
Australia Post Official

Thanks for sharing Tim!

Melbourne

Verified Customer

Misleading service, a total scam.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 08, 2017

The retail outlet in the US (Cabelas) shipped my order to the Shopmate address in 4 separate shipments, as the items i ordered came from different stores across the country. When they arrived at the warehouse i was then informed i had to pay the shipping to Australia on all 4 shipments. They refused to repackage the items together and has now cost me more than what it would have to ship from the retail outlet. Totally misleading and an utter scam. Customer service is appaling and they have no intentions whatsoever in resolving this with me. All they want is their money. If i request the items be discarded (thrown in the bin) they still want to charge me $5 per item to do this. Australia Post you are an utter disgrace. Absolute first and last time i use this service. Would not recommend to anyone!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Australia Post Official

Sorry to hear your experience wasn't what you expected Kris. It is true that we aren't able to pack all items into one parcel. We do always recommend customers read through our FAQs before going a... read more »

Sydney

• 2 helpful votes

Worst experience ever

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 29, 2017

DO NOT USE THEM UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

Absolutely the worst experience I've had with customer service ever. My package was delivered by USPS on a Monday morning and confirmed for delivery via tracking number for the Shopmate freight forwarding service. It didn't show up in the "Your Shopping" area within 48 hours so I emailed once aftee this time. I was told it would be up to 2-4 business days and to wait the extra two days. Where did this 4 days come from? Your own website says "within 48 hours". Fine - I waited the suggested 4 days and it still hasn't shown up. My next email was completely ignored. One week had passed and I called on a Monday morning and requested information from Australia post but they did not give me any definite answers as they said they were not trained in Shopmate and had to call me back. It has been 1 week and I have no idea where my package is. I also don't know how to get compensation for such an expensive item when it is clearly the freight services fault but I need to go through Australia post Shopmate who are completely incompetent and won't even lodge an enquiry until more than double the time. I needed the package 4 days ago. Is the service going to be free since you've inconvenienced me so much? I asked for compensation but there is no guarantee once again. I also cannot call Shopmate as they have no number listed and I have a full time job and cannot afford the time to deal with this issue. I just need compensation for my time wasted and for it to work and be resolved immediately, yet nobody will give me an answer about anything as they are either not trained or uncontactable through other means and won't reply to emails. I am about to lodge and enquiry with the office of fair trading and I suggest you bombard the OFT with complaints if you do not receive your package immediately. There is no point waiting for this service to care about their customers and they clearly do nybor they would have contacted me directly offering renumeration and further help but nobody has done so after multiple requests.

DO NOT USE THEM UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hi ggqq, It's disappointing to hear about your experience with ShopMate and I can appreciate why you'd be frustrated. Have you got a case number that I can take a look at? ShopMate does have a nu... read more »

I have multiple: When I emailed the first two times: 11651626 When I called: 11718495 I don't have time to deal with this anymore. If you are not offering a hasty resolution and further ... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

Excellent as always!

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 28, 2017

Have now completed a number of transactions with Shopmate and not had any issues. The concept is great and I hope AP continue this service as all of the items I've shipped have not been available in Australia and in all cases the vendor refused to ship, even using my DHL or FedEx accounts. I've not reviewed before but in order to bring some balance, I'd like people to know there are very happy Shopmate customers out there too!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Australia Post Official

Thanks for sharing Mikey! :D

Private message

Can't process any of my cards

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 22, 2017

I have tried over the last several days to log in and process my payment. The parcel is waiting at the warehouse in America and Shopmate's website doesn't work! How am I meant to get my stuff? I have tried Australian credit cards (I have 2), Australian debit mastercards, American credit cards (I have 3!) and none of them work in your stupid system. This is ridiculous. I emailed you with zero response. Now I have to call during business hours when I'm working to sort your junk out. You're holding my stuff hostage. Not happy Shopmate.

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hi JJJ,

Apologies for the delayed reply, have you been able to resolve this? If you need further assistance, I recommend contacting ShopMate directly on 1300 624 475 between 8am-6pm (AEST) Monday – Friday.

Roxy

Thank you yes I did apparently your payment portal has a glitch with IOS applications so I did it again through Google Chrome and it went through.
Cheers

Ok so next shipment: Same s*** different shovel! I tried this time through Chrome right off the bat and it won't accept my card. What is going on?!! I am so tired of this.

Packages always get opened by US warehouse

2 out of 5, reviewed on May 19, 2017

It says on the website that from the US it'll be 5-8 days to get to Australia. I find that it is closer to 8 days than 5. My real concern is that they open all my packages and then tape them up again. I don't understand why that is necessary. I think on their website it says that if the box is big and it seems like there is only a small thing inside, they may re-package for a few and without consultation (which also doesn't sit right with me). Bu they have opened my bagged parcels that are stuffed full. I feel like my privacy has been violated and I really don't like it at all.

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hi Ruspo,

Thanks for sharing your feedback. If you'd like to discuss the matter further I recommend calling ShopMate directly on 1300 624 475 between 8am-6pm (AEST) Monday – Friday.

Worst Company Ever

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 16, 2017

Tracking system does not provide any helpful information at all!It takes 15days to clear the customs and 10days for it to be delivered in Australia. Slow and Stupid What a joke!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hi there,

Apologies for the delayed reply. If you still need assistance with this one please let me know what the tracking number is.

Mllthorpe

Private message

Lazy, expensive, yes and stupid too.

2 out of 5, reviewed on May 12, 2017

Tracking information! "Your parcel is on its way." "Your parcel is at an Australiapost facility" That's not tracking information. It's fluff! And it's utterly useless to anyone who wants to know why their parcel hasn't arrived after weeks of transit. Then there's the cost. Is twenty seven dollars okay? ... to ship a parcel, envelope size, weighing three grams, from Australiapost's dispatch centre in Portland to NSW. Or is it a scam masquerading as a public service?

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hi Christy, Our tracking information shows updates from key points within the delivery process but regrettably isn't backed by a live GPS service, so there is usually only a few updates available.... read more »

3 of 25 pages

I am trying to order Bob Ross Artist Oil Paint from his store in the USA and wanted to know if the billing adress is indeed meant to be my private adress? I thought this was the case but it wont allow me to enter Australia as a country. Thanks

Jeff L asked on Oct 12, 2017

Hi Jeff,

The billing address needs to be matching with the details of the payment method you're using, such as your credit card. If the website you're purchasing the goods off won't accept an Australian address, you can contact your bank or credit card provider to see if they can add your ShopMate address as a secondary billing address on your account.

Roxy

Hi there i wanted too try shopmate out but i don't know what to put down as the billing address, i tried looking through the FAQ but nothing really said anything about it, i was looking through this website and a few are telling me to put down my actual address into the billing address section but the problem is that the website i want to purchase from won't allow me to put down my actual address into the billing address section, so i'm asking what do i put down in that section

Frank asked on Oct 08, 2017

Answer this

Your billing address is to connect you with your credit card when making a purchase. You must make sure your billing address is your actual address otherwise the transaction won't go through. If the website doesn't allow your to put your billing address in there is sometimes an option to change the country of your credit card. change that to Australia and it will allow you to put in the billing address.
hope this helps!

Hi Frank,

As Adam has summed up, the billing address needs to be matching with the details of the payment method you're using, such as your credit card. If the website you're purchasing the goods off won't accept an Australian address, you can contact your bank or credit card provider to see if they can add your ShopMate address as a secondary billing address on your account.

Roxy

I have tried twice to use my shopmate address with neiman marcus, and both times they have cancelled my order the following day as they can’t verify the address. My friend had no problems with the same address. Any clue why this company struggles and if there is anything so can change to fix it? Thank you.

Leah A asked on Oct 05, 2017

Answer this

Make sure your Billing address is not the same as your shipping address. Your billing address must be your actual Australian address. On Neiman Marcus the first address it asks you to fill in is your billing address, then at the bottom untick the "use this address as my shipping address" and then enter your ShopMate address. If the option is there, make sure you put your credit card as being Australian. The other thing to make sure is that you put your suite number as address line 2 rather than 1.
Hope this helps!

Hi Leah,

Adam has provided some great tips here! Some companies can pick up on the fact that they're forwarding addresses though and they don't like that - best to also double check with the company itself.

Roxy

Thank you. I am checking with them now, fingers crossed!

See all 73 questions about Australia Post Shopmate