Sydney

• 3 comments
Private message

Waiting for confirmation of package

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 27, 2017

I'm giving this service a 2 because I have used hopshopgo many times in the past and the service was better. I have had 2 items shipped to shopmate (the first arrived last week and I received confirmation very quickly) the 2nd arrived there over a day and half ago and I am still awaiting my notification. I want All my items shipped together and have to wait for this notification. I have emailed an inquiry and am waiting for that also. Considering the shipping fees are not cheap I would expect better service. I want to know where my 2nd package is?

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hi Annue,

Glad to hear you've contacted the team already. If you can kindly share your enquiry reference number with me I'd be more than happy to take a look into it, and have our ShopMate team get back to you.

Terrible experience

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 27, 2017

I just purchased 2 similar sized item from 2 separate suppliers and they are both marine vinyl to use for upholstery, and both worth approx $60US. Unfortunately 1 of them is a bit too long as it was not folded when packed and as a result was deemed too long for shopmate.

I have been in touch with supplier and they will repack item once shopmate sends back. However shopmate want to charge over $80US to send back to supplier (initial postage was only $20US), so the return postage costs more than the item originally cost me!!!!!

Comments
Australia Post Official

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience Steve.
If you still need assistance with this one I highly recommend giving the ShopMate team a call on 1300 624 475 between 8am-6pm (AEST) Monday – Friday for further support.

overcharged

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 24, 2017

I bought a pair of shoes which weigh 303 grams plus the weight of the shoe box etc.
UPS who delivered to the Shopmate warehouse in USA charged based on a weight of up to 3 pounds.
Shop Mate charged me based on a weight of 2.9kg - for a pair of 303 gram shoes!
Ripped off!

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hi Bob, It's very possible that this was the cubic weight of the box, as opposed to the actual weight of the item, which is explained in our ShopMate FAQs here: http://auspo.st/1En0OlH If you fee... read more »

Total Scam

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 19, 2017

Ordered some tools from Amazon as they don't deliver to Australia. Problem 1. Delivered to Shopmate in Portland 9am 07/07/2017 and after constantly asking what happened to my parcel, they finally found it 12/07/2017. Problem 2. Actual weight 1.4kg but calculated it to be 4.3kg for postage to Oz. Problem 3. Then I was told the tools were a prohibited item which according to Australia Post website on prohibited items they are not. I asked which of the seven tools was a prohibited item and got no answer just the usual "refer to our website". Problem 4. I now have to send the parcel (at an extortionate Shopmate rate) to another shipping company in the US that I that I have contacted and they will ship to Australia at a significantly lower rate using USPS. I will never use Shopmate again.

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hi Jinx,

I'm sorry to hear about your ShopMate experience. If you have a case number from when you've contacted us, send it to me in a private message and I'll take a look at it and make sure all correct processes have been followed.

Truganina

Private message

Thank god I read these reviews before joining up!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 17, 2017

This is a case of learning from other peoples experiences. No hope of me ever using this service! Thank you product review and the people who have taken their time to write a review.

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hi Greg,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. We're here to help if you ever need assistance with any of our products.

If you ever want your package - Don't use SHOPMATE

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 15, 2017

I have a small business and which is currently on hold because of this very unreliable and inefficient service. I've been repeatedly told by staff at the call centre my package would be delivered and I've been eating for WEEKS! They promise to return phone and not once have i received a call back. Don't use this service it's a sham and doesn't work and it's seriously affected my small business which is currently unable to function because I can't get a package delivered which is just sitting in Sydney at a warehouse and no one seems to be able to scan the box and put it on a truck - which I would think is a standard function of a delivery service!

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hi FiB222,

I'm so sorry to hear about what's happened with your ShopMate order. If you'd like to send me a private message with the tracking number and your case number I'll have someone from our ShopMate team take a look and get back to you.

• 4 helpful votes

Horrifically expensive

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 14, 2017

I needed a replacement part for an insulated drink bottle that only ships within the US. Total weight maybe 100g wrapped. ShopMate only shows you the cost of your shipment after it arrives. They weighed the package at 500g and estimated $27.90 to ship it. The drink bottle itself cost less than that to ship from the States, including the purchase price. I will use a different remailer service in future. Please warn your parents against ShopMate because they are surely its target market.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Perfect and surprisingly quick

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 13, 2017

Looks like my experience is rare, but I found the entire process incredibly easy and highly successful. It took longer for my package to get from it's US origin to the warehouse in Portland than it did to get from the US to Australia. Which just shows how quick AusPost was, as the entire process (from ordering to delivery) took 2 and a half weeks. Price ended up being cheaper than what the estimator provided and everything (large amount of skincare) arrived in perfect condition. After reading a lot of these comments I opted to pay the extra $5 for insurance, and despite having a fantastic experience I would still recommend getting it, just in case. Will definitely use again.

Comments
Australia Post Official

Thanks so much for sharing Liv!

Sydney

Verified Customer

Horrific service, lost package

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 12, 2017

Ordered an item from the US which arrived in the Shopmate warehouse no problem however once the item was shipped from the warehouse to Australia the issues started to appear. Firstly, after 10 days, the tracking did not update. I called up and they assumed the package has been lost in transit. I will update if there is any improvements however so far the package is still lost. The only thing the support team said is that they will hope the package will arrive... useless...

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hi Liam,

I'm sorry to hear you haven't received your order yet. Can you please let me know what the case number is from when you called so I can take a look at it please?

12380687 Ticket says resolved, however this is most definitely not resolved

Great communication, far too expensive

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 06, 2017

Communication was great - easy to set up, plenty of emails letting me know when the package was sent and when it'd arrive. Professional.

Cost was another thing altogether. I bought two headphone cords at a combined weight of 60 grams and about 10 cm x 10 cm in a small package. No indication of cost, so I took a punt. It cost me $28. Just too much for such a small package, even considering handling costs.

I'd only use them again if I was completely desperate to get a package sent.

Comments
Australia Post Official

Thanks for sharing this Adam :)

We always recommend customers check out our FAQ section on the ShopMate website which can help with estimating costs: http://auspo.st/1En0OlH

Brisbane

• 2 comments

ShopMate = ShopHate close to Zero customer support

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 04, 2017

I set up a ShopMate account, first article that arrived at my suite has been flagged as OVERSIZE... time to bend over and take the ShopHate treatment.
My mistake, I arranged shipping of an article to my ShopHate suite & then checked dimension/weight limits.

After setting up an account & booking the service I then checked the online shipping calculator for an estimate. I realised then that my article could be OVERSIZE according to ShopHate limitations. I contacted the vendor I purchased the item from (Amazon USA) but they had no way to verify packaging size or weight. I did google searches & the item looked like it would possibly meet ShopHate requirements (definitely under maximum weight but I could not confirm dimensional data of the article). I emailed ShopHate as soon as I anticipated a concern to advise the item "might be oversize" when it arrives as I could only estimate the dimensions. I was advised they would consider repackage the articles to meet requirements at a small fee.
I left this phone conversation feeling confident the matter had been resolved.

But..... No surprise when the article was flagged as oversize by 6cm! ShopHate has a 105cm maximum Length (actual length of unconfirmed article size has been measured at 111cm)

I contacted customer support & after no acceptable solution was offered by ShopHate I asked for the item to ship the article domestically to MyUS suite, I also emailed the domestic shipping details & quote to ShooHate under the concern number they provided me (MyUS is the same type of international shipping service but they do not have dimensions limits & charge only by the weight of the package).

The online domestic road shipping quote by FedEx from ShopHate to MyUS was USD$45.17 (Also MyUS international shipping quote to Australia was over USD$50 less than the original ShopHate quote).

ShopHate have now (after several times that I have followed up with emails & phone calls) sent me a domestic shipping quote of AUD$171 to ship by road to MyUS freight forwarder.

I contacted ShopHate again & asked why the item can't be sent with FedEX at USD$45, the response was we only use UPS AUD$171

So in short, ShopHate has be bent over a barrel and doing a remake of Pulp Fiction at my expense.

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hi there, I'm sorry to hear of the trouble you've had with your ShopMate order. If you can please share your case number with me I'd be happy to have one of our ShopMate team members review it and... read more »

12195582

12195582- still MORE problems

I will email AustPost again with details

Dealing with shopmate is like living in a distopian Monty Python novella.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 01, 2017

Sent me a an invoice with arrival date. I paid their fee. Month later nothing. I called them. A jar of metallic paint flakes is being held at the warehouse in the states. After a few calls they asked for a Data Sheet for paint flakes. Seriously? I sent it. No response. Week later, told they'll get back to me. 4th time. Not holding my breath. Pretty bad..Meanwhile, I've got a job on the bench costing me money and a customer waiting.

HERE'S AN UPDATE: See how many contradictions you can pick, also remember they've taken my money and I've sent them all relevant documents.
*Note: this is a single email body of text. "It maka no sense!"

Update for Investigation - 11989367
Hi Steve

Thank you for your patience whilst the team in the Shopmate Warehouse have been reviewing your parcel.

Unfortunately we are unable to ship this to Australia and we are unable to arrange for a carrier to collect your parcel to take it to any other location in the US, as we are unable to confirm that the contents of the parcel are not dangerous.

Dear Steve

Thank you for contacting us about your ShopMate account. I am happy to assist you with information today.

I am very sorry that it has taken us longer than anticipated to get back to you. We are currently experiencing higher than normal enquiry's, and are working hard to make sure that we get back to our customers as soon as we can.

At this point you have three options which are;

1. Request that the full package or only the prohibited items be discarded (a $5 fee applies)
2. Request that the US warehouse returns the package to the merchant - for them to do this you will need to provide us with a returns label. This can be obtained from the merchant. (Postage fees will need to be paid by the merchant or yourself in addition to the Return Handling fee of $5)

For option 2, please also advise the value of the contents of the package and a contact number for the sender

I’m sorry that we are unable to ship this item to Australia for you. Please let me know how you would like to proceed.

Regards,
Andrew E
Australia Post

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hi Stevel,

I'm sorry to hear of the trouble you've had getting your paint order. I've reached out to our ShopMate team and have requested someone contact you as soon as possible to discuss this, so you should hear from them soon.

Roxy

Hey Roxy, what happened to my contact? Do I get a refund yet?

Private message

It won't accept my Australian address!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 28, 2017

I tried to set up my delivery address. The address fields have a maximum character length of 12 so it either rejects or abbreviates names and street names etc. Totally useless.

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hi Rob, That sounds a little unusual. Is this a Parcel Locker address you're trying to use? As a work around, you could try abbreviating your name to a first initial and your last name, for exampl... read more »

I discussed with the ShopMate team who came up with an abbreviated version that I wouldn't feel comfortable using. Isn't a 12 character limit for a name or address field too restrictive?

Kalgoorlie

Good experience with Shopmate

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 27, 2017

I have been buying in from the USA for about eight years and only recently found out about Shopmate.
I received my first parcel yesterday and will receive my second one today and found the system very good and simple to use.
The poor reviews I read from the 'snowflakes' on here are, I suspect, written by people that are very hard to please no matter what and have unreal expectations of every service they will ever use.

To get from Oregon to me in regional WA in two weeks is an acceptable timeframe and the cost was more than reasonable.
I only took one rating star off for the fact that when the parcel is scanned in at Chullora NSW, it is the last tracking event in Australia until I receive it. This is important to me because often I need to keep a customer informed.

I will definitely use this service again.

Comments
Australia Post Official

Thanks for sharing Brad, appreciate it. Glad you like the service.

Roxy

Just to follow up, my second parcel showed up the next day as expected.

Private message

1 Star is the lowest possible rating that can be given, but that is still incredibly generous

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 26, 2017

Great idea in theory, Australians would have loved this service if it wasn't so poorly managed.

First of all, I had a hard time even logging in to my Shopmate account - then I had a hard time declaring any of my packages on the site. Finding the Shopmate customer service-number was a mission too (on purpose I bet), and then the wait time was pretty long to speak to someone.

Secondly, the item weight-listed is always more than what it actually weighs, even with the packaging. I'm generous, so I let that fly, but THEY WILL CHARGE YOU THE "WEIGHT" BY PACKAGE SIZE even if it's mostly air. They tried to charge me 6X the actual item weight.

You can have your packages re-packaged (for $5) so it will be smaller, and charged less to ship - but that option isn't obviously shown when you are at the checkout. I had to call and wait 15 minutes to get that sorted. Still in the process, but I will keep this updated.

Watch out, Shopmate is a money-grab rip-off.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hi JJJ, Thanks for your feedback on your shopping experience. I'm sorry you had trouble with a few different sections of the website, what browser are you using? We find Google Chrome to be the sm... read more »

Thanks for the heads up, I was using Google Chrome. Why is the $5 re-packaging option isn't shown at the check-out page? You'd think that such an iconic company like Australia Post would have the... read more »

Positive experience

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 22, 2017

Just had a vey good experience with shopmate customer service as soon as I sent an email they were on the phone to me sorting out my problem
All resolved with a discount for shipping even when it was the retailers fault.

Comments
Australia Post Official

Glad to hear that was all sorted out Robert, thanks for sharing!

Roxy

Just had the worst customer experience with Shopmate

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 16, 2017

I have actually used this service several times before and had no issues. But this time it was so bad that I will never use them again (though I was expecting as some point this would happen based on all the bad reviews). FOR ALL those people who say they are not sure why people are complaining about this service - I used to be you once. You may never experience this coz you're lucky or your goods are not dangerous. But the minute it goes wrong, they will NOT give you the service to fix the problem (that is my main issue).

Firstly it's very expensive and is only worth it for bulk/larger items. They don't offer consolidated packaging. Also it does take ages to actually register a product when it arrives (allow another 2-3 business days at least!). I was ok with this because I found it reliable and too lazy to look around.

But this last time - was the strangest experience I have ever had. I paid for 4 packages to be sent back home - only three package made it 2.5 weeks later (although they advertise 5 to 8 working days?) - that's when I realised my fourth package wasn't coming. When I called they told me there were dangerous goods (but never contacted me in the two weeks since I had paid to deliver). I straight away sent invoice and followed up next day - confirmed to discard and send asap (I was also on a two week time limit before I left again). When I still hadn't received a confirmation 72 hours later I called and found out US hadn't given reply. Later that day contacted me that there was another dangerous good. So I told them to discard straight away and demanded refund (which they agreed). Only sent the box the next Tuesday US time (I had confirmed on a Friday day) and money order for refund a week later - so neither arrived before I left (will not be back for another 6 months)..... I had told them I was on a time limit - they all were very acknowledging of it but did nothing to actually help make it go faster.

Am on the hunt for a better services and there seems to be heaps of options out there that are similar price (and maybe cheaper) and offer consolidated packaging. https://www.choice.com.au/shopping/online-shopping/buying-online/articles/shopmate-and-us-freight-forwarding-services

I will never be using shopmate again.. my main concern was not that a mistake occurred but that it seemed ok for them not to handle it or have any obligation to take responsibility. I had to do all the following up and pushing (and that didn't even work!). That's not ok when you are paying as much as you do...

Comments
Australia Post Official

I'm really sorry to hear about your experience Tam. If you'd like to share your case number with me I can definitely take a look at this.

Roxy

Mostly a reasonable experience, this last time not so

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 14, 2017

USPS tracking shows my parcel arrived Oregon on 9 June.
Parcel doesn't show in your system until today 14 Jun
Website not working with Chrone, Firefox or Safari:
Unable to Declare my package's value, hence get it despatched. Case No. is 12018742

Comments
Australia Post Official

Hi Deemac, Looking over your case it looks like this issue has been resolved. If you still need assistance, you can give ShopMate a call directly on on 1300 624 475 between 8am-6pm (AEST) Monday –... read more »

No Complaints

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 10, 2017

Received three packages from the US via Shopmate. Hiccup with one but sorted in a couple of days after I phoned the help desk. Person I dealt with was good.

The only thing I would ask them to do is copy the NZ Youshop screens. Looks like the same freight handling company in the US does AUS and NZ. NZ screen is more user friendly.

Other than that I am struggling to find anything wrong. Will be using Shopmate again.

Comments
Australia Post Official

Thanks for sharing Jack!

Roxy

Not sure why people complaining?

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 09, 2017

Great service. I have used shopmate around a dozen times so far and perfect every time. It is the easiest and best way to use the US ebay site and shop direct from US online retailers. Well done shopmate

Comments
Australia Post Official

Thanks for sharing Tim!