Toronto

Verified Customer

Cheap MBA but not credible and very limited teaching

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 20, 2017

I am surprised at all the positive reviews by other students. I belong to a group forum and everyone dislikes the limited teaching format by AIB. When such comments are posted AIB marketing responds very cleverly and ask them to contact via personal message. Most of the courses taught have little to no learning. There are some webinars but they focus on assignment and exams. I have teachers accept that AIB is short on providing teaching. They will provide you a sound cloud link which is basically an audio version of concise text. They do everything to fulfil the basic TEQSA (Austrailian framework of secondary education). They structure the exam easy so they have a higher pass rate again because they do not provide you any teaching. If you need an online education try Fitchburg University which is much cheaper than AIB provide real teaching from professors.

Comments
Australian Institute of Business Official

Hi Hon_d12. Thanks for sharing your feedback. As our MBA is delivered online, it does require a certain level of autonomy from students, however, our new learning model has been rolled out this yea... read more »

Hello AIB, thank you for taking time and responding. I am the newest current student studying your newly designed courses, although enhancements are made they are still poor. Absolutely minimal tea... read more »

Flexible and relevant

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 09, 2017

Balancing the demands of a senior full-time role with an MBA is a massive challenge, however AIB's delivery model makes it achievable for students. I found the course to strike a great balance between the relevant theory with real-world application, which is able to be completed flexibly around work and family commitments.

I completed the course solely through online learning but found it was relatively easy and efficient to receive one-on-one phone or Skype support from academics where required. The learning materials are easy to digest and access. The pace of the course definitely isn't for everyone, but neither is doing an MBA. I would highly recommend this course to management professionals looking to take the next step, provided you have the self-motivation and drive to dedicate the required time and energy.

Comments
Australian Institute of Business Official

Thank you for reflecting on your study experience with AIB, Michael. It’s great to hear that our practical approach and delivery worked well for you, and that our Academics were supportive througho... read more »

International Student

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 02, 2017

I cannot recommend this MBA enough! My learning center is School of Higher Education in Trinidad and Tobago and I must say that the staff and lecturers there have always been very helpful so far in this program (I have not yet completed but soon would). It is fast it is intense and if you cannot find time to study, this program may not be for you. It has opened my eyes I a way that no other level of education has ever been able to: it has made me wiser! Seriously! I can look at a company's profile and tell where it is heading and what it is doing wrong, I can better interpret a lot of business strategies which may have escaped me before, my eyes are opened to so much that I cannot thank AIB or my learning center enough! But best of all, since then, to my greatest delight, I have been asked to sit on the board for a local company as a Director! One of my life's dreams is now a reality because of my progress in this MBA program.

I have one concern but related to the MBA but another program and would like to be contacted about this please. I'll prefer not to make it public as it does not impact this program at all.

Comments
Australian Institute of Business Official

Thank you for sharing about your study journey Richard. It’s fantastic to hear that you’re achieving your goals, and have been able to do so before even completing the degree. Congratulations! We ... read more »

Flexible and interesting

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 31, 2017

Due to my current employment that involves overseas travel for approximately 50% of the year, I found the AIB MBA perfect because of the study flexibility and quality of the learning materials and subject textbooks. This enable me to establish a study plan and stick to it from the beginning through to the end. After 30 years of working in business management, I found the knowledge I gained from the study has increased my skills, and has enabled me to improve my output and more importantly the quality of my contribution. I strongly suggest to those who are contemplating starting a study program to consider the products and services offered by AIB.

Comments
Australian Institute of Business Official

Hi Menjo. Thank you for reflecting on your study experience with AIB. It’s great to hear that our programme allowed you the flexibility to fit study in no matter where in the world you were. Thank ... read more »

MBA complete

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 30, 2017

The attraction of the MBA with AIB was the achievement of an MBA within 12 months. I'd previously completed part of a Master's Degree in the UK but moved to Australia before I could finish it.

As a previous reviewer indicated, it is a personal marathon because you have to learn the unit material so you can write an assignment within 2 weeks and then sit an exam a week later and this can be really challenging, particularly whilst working full-time (and trying to be a mum). However, once in a routine, it did get easier and I looked forward to receiving the e-mail alert to say my results were online. I am glad I completed the MBA prior to the change to 7 weeks.

You do need to be dedicated for distance learning due to the schedule. There are student led forums out there which I found to be really helpful having not studied for 12 years. The MBA for me was for personal reasons (and perhaps a desire in the future to do my DBA) so achieving the MBA hasn't changed my career but it has opened my eyes to exploring options outside of my current industry, which I wouldn't have considered before.

Comments
Australian Institute of Business Official

Hi Annie. Thank you very much for sharing your MBA experience with AIB. It’s great to hear that our 4-week format worked well for you and that the support from your fellow students made the journey... read more »

• 3 helpful votes
Private message

Exactly what my career needed

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 24, 2017

The MBA with AIB was perfect for me, I could study when I needed to and it worked around my full time work easily. They help you so much by giving tips and hints at the start on how to set up your study hours and the academic advisors were invaluable.
The knowledge I gained as a result has helped me so much in my career already and I can’t wait to see where else it takes me!!

Comments
Australian Institute of Business Official

Thank you very much for sharing your MBA journey here, Jess. It's fantastic to hear that the course was workable with your schedule and is proving to be beneficial to your career already. We're sur... read more »

Great way to get a degree

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 23, 2017

I recently completed my MBA with AIB, and highly recommend it to others. The course material was concise and the lecturers were always available for a call if needed. The course fits well with a busy lifestyle and provided you are disciplined enough to ensure you study and prepare well, then graduating with an MBA is achievable.

I strongly recommend AIB and am now looking to continue my studies.

Comments
Australian Institute of Business Official

Congratulations on your MBA Effex! Thanks for recommending AIB and sharing your experience - it's great to hear the course fit well with your lifestyle. All the best with your future studies!

A significant grind but a positive outcome

4 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 12, 2017

I have just completed the last of the four-week per unit 12-unit MBA with AIB. They have now transitioned to a seven-week per unit model. I completed the course in 13 months (I took two months to complete the final Capstone project, so required an extension of one month).

The Course was basically a personal marathon. Distance learning is a hard method, particularly for a course which like an MBA which is really geared around collaboration. You can create those opportunities for yourself via the student network etc, but there wasn't any direct support from AIB for this. It was really just personal course work. From what I can see the new method is geared more towards collaborative approach, with students assigned to classes and a wider variety of assessment tasks. I think this is a good thing.

I found the workload manageable even with a significant senior executive role. AIBs estimate of a minimum of 20 hours a week is about right - as a minimum. The exams were tedious - four handwritten essays in three hours. It was quite a trial to have to write longhand for that long! I have a new appreciation for high school students sitting their finals! At any rate, the exams now appear to be a smaller component of the assessment grade under the new model, so that will be slightly less burdensome for new students.

There are mixed reviews in the Student forums regarding support from AIB. Personally, I had no difficulties at all and found anyone at AIB both easy to reach and highly responsive to my requests. Always had a response to any email within a day or so and times for calls with academics were easy to schedule. The input from the tutors was also very helpful.

At the time I signed up AIB called itself "The Practical MBA" but now market as "The Agile MBA". I think they were listening to their own lecturers as, really, there wasnt anything practical in my learning. It was entirely course work based (assignment + exam for every subject). It required no practical application and, frankly, on a four-week turnaround there wouldn't have been time anyway. It was, however, very agile in that if you are focussed and prepared to prioritise the study over everything except your day job, you can in fact get it done in 12 months. At least you could, I think the new format will require closer to two years, but I think the learning will be much improved.

The price was fine. Well below what you could pay. For the price paid, I think the outcome was perfectly valid.

So long to AIB with my thanks for their help. I did the course for personal growth rather than with any expectation that it will lead me anywhere. I can't say I enjoyed it - rather endured it - but I do not regret it.

Definitely worthwhile if you assess an MBA is something you need.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Australian Institute of Business Official

Congratulations on completing your MBA! Thank you for sharing your experience studying via our 4-week model – it’s great to hear it has been a valuable endeavour.

If you want your MBA handed to you on a platter... Look elsewhere, you earn this one!

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 21, 2017

I completed the MBA at AIB in 2015, 14 months of hard yakka at 65. Great experience, luckily I have the self discipline to do the 24 hrs a week plus a full time management role. Yes, the handwritten exams were full on. Supposed to be! I can see where someone who had mum do everything for them would struggle. That's good for those of us who didn't. Am doing a second masters at the moment that is much easier, not sure it will have the same searing memories of early morning study before work. Would not hesitate to do it again.

Good luck to all you prospective battlers, go for it!

Comments
Australian Institute of Business Official

Thanks for reflecting on your MBA journey, Flash. It’s great to hear that, two years on, you value the time and effort you put into the MBA. All the best with your second master’s degree. You sure like to keep busy!

Brisbane

• 7 helpful votes

Self paced-self learned

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 19, 2017

Hi,
Its good institute to do MBA yourself. No help from Lecturers in regards to teaching. It's good only if you can do it yourself

Comments
Australian Institute of Business Official

Thank you for your review Jol. While online study requires a certain level of autonomy, Academic support is particularly important throughout the MBA journey, so we’re sorry to hear you have not re... read more »

Adelaide, SA

• 2 answers
  • 14 helpful votes

Verified Customer

Excellent program for self-paced learning very helpful administration

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 09, 2017

Recommend this course to anyone wanting to enhance their learning of upper management, enhancing your resume or making yourself more appealing to change industry. What i believe is that anyone with 10+ years work experience would be able to breeze through this course with relative ease. I do take my hat off to the kids doing this straight out of school as they have little/no experience to draw on. I found relating each subject to an actual experience very helpful. Content perhaps a little old with online video's and course topic notes to download but overall no complaints. Being able to allocate time between home, work, studies was challenging but do-able, i managed on all weekend studies and a few hours mid-week where possible. Make sure you join the Skype groups and class webinars - very very useful to get opinions and ideas from your peers.! Now i am on my last two subjects and just the project to go soon then i will be done. I had a medical/compassionate event that AIB were very helpful with, so i had one subject delayed. Assuming i pass each subject first time it will be all up 16 months as not all my elective subjects aligned to be available in consecutive months. Do it.!! Very rewarding...

Comments
Australian Institute of Business Official

Thank you for sharing about your MBA experience with AIB. It's great to hear that you've found applying the course content to your professional experiences helpful, as this will assist in making th... read more »

Kaikoura

A terrifically rewarding experience

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 09, 2017

I started the AIB MBA course as I retired from formal employment at the age of 66. I was concerned that my age (concentration, memory etc) may be a disadvantage. The opposite was the case. The study was stimulating, fascinating and satisfying. The whole process was delivered in an extremely professional, helpful and well-planned way. I thoroughly enjoyed my experience and look forward to donning the Mortar Board and Gown in November. Thank you AIB!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Australian Institute of Business Official

Hi David. Congratulations on completing your MBA! We're sure your practical career experiences played a big role in making the MBA journey so enjoyable as you were able to apply the learning to per... read more »

Personal reward

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 09, 2017

I had the best time with this, the whole team at AIB were committed to helping me achieve my goals. Work-life can get in the way of what you seek in personal achievement but the people at AIB, from the guys in student support to senior Professors work with you (sometimes even on weekends) to assist you.

Comments
Australian Institute of Business Official

Thank you for posting about your MBA journey with AIB, Paul. We're delighted to hear that our support staff and academics were there to help when needed and that the experience overall was enjoyabl... read more »

Highly recommended

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 08, 2017

I have thoroughly enjoyed my learning journey with AIB and couldn’t recommend them highly enough. I have been challenged and supported from the start and the team have been extremely helpful whenever I’ve needed assistance. Keep up the great work! I think this is the way tertiary education should be delivered, well done.

Comments
Australian Institute of Business Official

Congratulations on completing your MBA Jacobus! It's fantastic to hear that you've enjoyed the learning approach at AIB and recommend our MBA programme to others. Thank you for your kind words.

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote

The Agile MBA with credibaility

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 08, 2017

When researching for the best MBA to invest my time and money in the AIB MBA program delivered on everything I was hoping for. Many MBA programs from Universities are traditionally a networking program where assignments are completed in groups without really testing your understanding of the subjects. I believe the 4 ½ hour exams for each subjects provides the AIB qualification with higher credibility due to the fact that 75% of your marks depends on passing the exam. The MBA was stressful and hard work. If your motivation is just getting an MBA by participating in group projects and getting a piece of paper for career advancement then this one is not for you!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Australian Institute of Business Official

Hi Jacques. Thank you for leaving a review about your MBA experience - we're glad to hear it met your expectations. It's certainly hard work, but a worthwhile journey in the end. Congratulations on completing your MBA!

Trinidad and Tobago

• 2 comments

Verified Customer

AIB does not care about its International students

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 04, 2017

I first enrolled for AIB's MBA Programme in 2015 after going to an info session where an AIB representative discussed the pros of doing the accelerated Programme and its high ranking. They spoke of a highly-flexible program and an ideal MBA for working people. It was unfortunate for me that on the heels of my first exam I caught 'chikungunya' - the crippling virus as it is known, which impaired my ability to function in the exam and I subsequently had relapses for the other courses I had enrolled for. I subsequently stopped the program, as I was losing money until I was physically and mentally able to resume my studies (because AIB was unwilling to take into account my medical report and stuck to their policy). I later re-enrolled in the latter part of 2016. Since being in this program it's been a downhill battle with this institution. They are the most inflexible school, I've been in. I have never heard the word, "policy" used so many times in my lifetime. They say they are understanding, but seldom do they favour the student. They seldom take into account mitigating circumstances to make an informed decision and I don't think they grant the teaching centre (TC) autonomy or give them the space to mediate or present a case for the student. AIB sees the bottomline; they're highly procedural and policy-oriented to a T, but they are NOT student-driven. Another point to mention, AIB has no system in place for late enrollments and neither do they treat with financial issues.

Every month there seems to be an issue with this institution. Of late they have been making a lot of technical changes and re-structuring of courses. When I re- enrolled no one informed me that as a resit student, certain changes in the course would not be applicable to me. So when I was enrolled to do Strategic Management a few months back, from inception I was sent learning materials and informed of AIBs introduction of group assignments, which was now mandatory. I was placed in a group by the lecturer on the first day of class and this set the tone of how the class was conducted. I was put as the group lead, however when I attempted to submit our assignment, there was nothing on the system granting me access to do so and subsequently my colleague had to submit. I wrote the TC and AIB to get my grade (as none was assigned to me), which was eventually awarded. However in the midst of everything I fell ill and was unable to successfully complete my individual assignment, which affected my final grade. Although I passed both the group and the exam, it was insufficient. I wrote AIB on this. Subsequently I was told that I had to resit the exam and assignment and pay the 275AUD. They wanted me to pay for a review but I could not afford it. I asked about re- submitting the assignment and was told that nothing could have been done as the query time had passed. I replied and stated that my correspondence was sent on 'x' date and they told me to get in touch with my TC for re-enrollment.

To date it's been no end of issues with this institution and my latest problem has been with AIB's militant approach.
1. There's nothing in place for late enrollment - I had a financial setback, contacted the TC but the persons who spearhead the MBA were out of the country. I wrote one and he replied to me on whatsapp stating that they could make the arrangement. However, due to a few things this was only done when they returned of which time the invoice expired and I received a notice from AIB stating that it was rejected because the deadline for enrollment had passed (by a day or two). I was unable to do this month's module.
2. To add insult to injury, they wrote me saying to enroll for the next month; my TC also wrote me. Upon enrolling, a few days later AIB sent a rejection letter stating that I have now passed 3yrs and will have to apply for an extension to continue the MBA. AIB I assume has a student profile in their database; I have sent medical reports, letters and the lot over time to AIB. As was mandatory and their policy, my TC had to write them last year October of my re-entry into the Programme. When I contacted my TC, they informed me that this was AIB policy and they've tried in the past and AIB stands on its procedures and policies.
3. To whose benefit? AIB's approach to everything it seems (where its international student body is concerned, at least) is to be difficult and militant. This goes against its purported flexibility and student-focus.

I cannot recommend an institution like this. It is anti-student and not beneficial to education or progress. I regret ever applying to this school.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Australian Institute of Business Official

Hi Nomi. We’re very sorry to hear that your experience studying via a teaching centre has not met expectations. We would like to assure you that the MBA journey for all students, regardless of thei... read more »

Good day, I'm not seeing an area to private message you.

Australian Institute of Business Official

Thank you for letting us know. We have sent you a private message via Product Review. If you're still unable to access the message, please email socialmedia@aib.edu.au. Thanks again.

Melbourne, Victoria

• 3 helpful votes
Private message

Flexibility, hard work and satisfaction

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 17, 2017

Commuting between Sydney & Melbourne for work, a senior executive role and studying an MBA all together is a challenge but the self satisfaction is enormous.

I like the flexible study patterns the course offers and the content was relevant to my career and future plans. One suggestion is to do it for yourself...not the job, the boss, the money or the prestige. This makes it so much more intrinsically rewarding. The other things will come from the success.

Comments
Australian Institute of Business Official

Congratulations on your MBA Rohan! It's great to hear that it's been a rewarding experience for you and that the structure of the MBA worked well with your busy schedule. We hope to see you at Graduation in November. Thank you!

melbourne

Serioulsy Old-Fashioned. AVOID.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 05, 2017

- An online MBA business course that has no online lectures? Seriously.
- The course has PDFs topic guides to download and read. Or one can listen to a voice-over artist read it aloud. Sadly, these topic guides were written as audio scripts and long-winded are a seriously weird way to educate and let alone inspire.
- The main teaching effort was to explain ad nauseum the convoluted assignments set.
- AIB only allows paper textbooks into open book exams. ( E-books ? Duh!)
- The two-hour exams must be handwritten - pen on paper ! Seriously old-fashioned. (Quill and frilly cuffs anyone?)
- Sure AIB is based in backwater Adelaide, but even so, the AIB MBA business course has the cheek to brand itself as 'Agile', when the only 'Agile' aspect of AIB is the delusions of their marketing department.

Avoid AIB. try Griffith University MBA (well rated) or look overseas were real innovation and 'agile' delivery of online education is authentic.
- AIB- maybe they should specialize in 18th Century history & technology.

Mick

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Australian Institute of Business Official

Hi Mick. Thanks for your feedback. We’re sorry to hear the learning experience was not as you had hoped. From reading your comments, it sounds like you may have studied or are still studying subje... read more »

Hi AIB thanks for your frank self-assessment of what will be. I agree absolutely -prospective students should wait three-years until you modernize! In the meantime look elsewhere. Your current o... read more »

The reward was worth all of the hard work

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 14, 2017

Working full time and studying is always a challenge. I found the AIB MBA format allowed me to manage my study time around both work and family time, the format of the workbooks allowed me to breakdown the work into manageable blocks which in turn allowed me to plan my days to ensure I maximized all available time.
I really enjoyed completing the MBA and have been able to incorporate the theory into both my short and long term decision making at work. I have and would recommend undertaking an AIB MBA.

Comments
Australian Institute of Business Official

Hi Dale. Thank you for sharing your study experience with AIB. We’re delighted to hear that our programme was the right fit for you, and that it’s adding value to your career now and in the long te... read more »

Ferntree Gully

Private message

A hard road travelled, but worth every minute

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 27, 2017

I moved across to AIB to complete my Masters of Business Administration, initially I was apprehensive about the workload and scheduling, but after completing in April, have found that not only was my capability much higher than I expected, the experience has really proved to me that I do have the understanding, skills and experience at the tertiary level of Masters. I highly recommend the AIB Masters program, knowing that if you are truly at that level, this is the way to do it.

Comments
Australian Institute of Business Official

Thank you very much for posting about your MBA experience Therese. It’s great to hear that our programme was challenging yet rewarding, and ultimately the right fit for you. Congratulations on completing your MBA!

1 of 6 pages

Hi why are the assignment questions so convoluted at A.I.B, there is an assignment webinar where they discuss formats of submission, but no specifics of the actual question. Recent webinar for an assignment, explain the processes used in your work place or a business you know,then back up what the research says, the research of what exactly. I backed up the theories we were using but was marked down as i didn't explain every detail of the processes used. If i was supposed to do that, why not, just say that rather than, leave it up to your imagination as to what they mean. when you get marked the lecturer seems to get specific, but prior to your submission, they cant seem to be, they should explain in detail the kind of information they are looking for and not be so generic in their approach. Communication is imperative in this model of study and i wish that it was better addressed by the school. Thanks for your time

LULLLM asked on Oct 13, 2017

Answer this

Hi Lulllm. Sorry to hear of your concerns with your recent assignment. We’d recommend booking in a time to talk with an academic about the past assignment and what can be done to better prepare for future ones. If you’re interested in doing so, please get in touch via student admin.

The AIB MBA is truly one of the best learning programs I have encountered. But it would be quite interesting to ask: Is this MBA accredited/valid in New York and Ontario?

Brian O asked on Aug 02, 2017

Answer this

Hi Brian. Thanks for your question. Great to hear you're enjoying the learning experience! As our MBA is accredited by the Tertiary Education Quality Standards Agency, the governing accreditation body in Australia, the programme is internationally recognised. Head to our website for more information on accreditation and memberships - http://www.aib.edu.au/about-us/accreditations/

I am doing Advance diploma in hospitality management in Gateway college.Which is located at kathmandu, NEPAL. And they said that this college is affiliated with this AIB, and they said that we students could easily get admission to your college? would u please me explain me in detail? hope to see your reply soon. Thank you

sharad asked on Jul 30, 2017

Answer this

Hi Sharad. Thank you for your question. AIB is not affiliated with Gateway College. There are a number of entry paths into our MBA programme, however, one of which accepts a recognised Advanced Diploma or Associate Degree (AQF Level 6) and at least 3 years relevant work experience. If you are considering an MBA as your possible next step, you can find more information on our programme and entry requirements on our website - http://www.aib.edu.au/study/agile-mba/

See all 53 questions about Australian Institute of Business (AIB)