An inspiring journey of personal growth and achievement....

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 14, 2017

I have learnt a lot of background information about the way counselling operates, its different theories and absolutely loved the workshops. You gain so much valuable information and skills from the facilitators and feedback from others in the group. Also you meet such a wide variety of people from all ethnic and career backgrounds ...I loved this aspect. As far as counselling skills go, you learn to see situations from other peoples perspectives, 'walk in their shoes' for a moment and learn to do what is best for them at this time, not enforc e your own personal beliefs and ideas. I think this was a valuable lesson and skill to learn, as it is easy to see the world from your point of view and it takes a conscious effort to regard another persons way in which they view the world around them. That everyone is uniquely individual, just as you are. The academic knowledge obtained throughout the diploma provides you with a broad spectrum of theories and information to draw from and become a well rounded and competent counsellor. No regrets at all about doing this diploma, sometimes a bit repetitive in it's questions but that would be my only gripe. When submitting your assessments, don't get discouraged if you receive a NYC (not yet competent), you are not alone. It is basically a way of making sure you have a clearer understanding of a particular question, not that you are 'stupid'! Don't be apprehensive about calling the help line when stuck or uncertain about what is being asked, I always had positive outcomes and encouragement. Sometimes you just don't get it, especially when you don't have a teacher up the front of the class to clarify things...ring them! It took me about 18 months to finish this diploma, putting in solid blocks for each units, say 6 hours a day, then giving myself a week off as a reward. I found if I left a unit in the middle it was hard to get back into it. Enjoy and grow on your journey....Daniella

Feedback - everyone can improve

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 08, 2017

Feedback for AIPC counselling:
The new assessment booklets are highly repetitious and I feel unnecessarily lengthy. They are making me angry and I feel if they are making me angry, they would be turning other people off altogether and the rate of drop out could increase. This is a massive barrier to people who don’t necessarily have higher literacy skills.
The study guides are very informative and well set out. However, the study guides contain several spelling errors and punctuation errors. This has made me really not care too much abou
t my spelling or punctuation in my assessment books. However, I feel it is very unprofessional especially for an institution who claims to be the best in the industry. You would just need an experienced proof reader or person highly trained in literacy skills to read over all of the assessments and correct them. ME! Griffith University paid me to do this for their mathematics program and journal articles in 2015. Additionally, I did it for Education Queensland for new curriculum documents.
If your trainers have their Cert IV in T&A they should understand how adults learn which is very similar to children. This means several opportunities to see and do counselling practices. Studying at home is very different to the pracs and I feel there would be confident counsellors coming out of the course if they were provided with: an opportunity to view example counselling role plays for each prac assessment; prompt sheets with example phrases counsellors could use; example open ended questions counsellors could use; clear 1 pager reminders of each therapy we have studied that could compile a comprehensive folder of what we have learnt for each therapy and use it like a quick reminder for practice. Additionally, I feel AIPC could provide templated documentation for counsellors to use in private practice. These would just be templates and subject to copyright and changing laws but would be a great resource that are in fact provided by other counselling schools. Two of my friends who have completed their Diploma of Counselling have received a booklet of templates on their final prac/graduation. The booklets are amazing.
The girls you have in your office in Brisbane are amazing. Alice and another girl I can’t think of atm have been exceptionally helpful, friendly, nonjudgemental and accommodating. Employees like these girls need regular praise, recognition and critical feedback to grow. They strike me as the types of girls who can handle feedback and would use it to better themselves – which is an asset for any employee for any business and I feel it is a criteria for success. In regards to feedback, getting us to give it at the end of each session is completely subjective and can be linked to handwriting for filling out forms. In my own experience you don’t get the best feedback this way. Maybe think about using an anonymous feedback survey system for pracs like this. While it may be another thing to do feedback can take any business from good to amazing, and honest feedback is the best.
The prac assessment trainers have been good. I feel everyone has room to better themselves but giving feedback needs to be as gentle as counselling, which I am sure you are aware of, but especially a workplace culture of feedback and growth not only makes great employees but also makes the organisation one people want to work for. Trainers are the face of AIPC for me and I feel they are people who may be seen as experts but also need to be included in a feedback system. There have been trainers I have loved and others I have learnt different things from.
I have absolutely loved the content of this course but I feel my learning could have been better with some added and well thought out educational extras that could make AIPC present this course better than any other RTO. I have loved learning what I have learnt and the self paced option. Other things I have loved and I feel you should keep doing are:
• Amazing morning teas
• Sending minties in the mail
• Sending affirmation bookmarks and cards
• Getting emails and phone calls to see how I’m progressing (this happened twice and I loved it. I’d recommend doing this more for so many reasons including making your students feel loved, included, thought of and; to increase the rate of students completing their courses online).
• Giving feedback on our pracs posted out
• Group pracs
• The location is amazing – the house is welcoming and warm.

Verified Customer

Flexible and supported learning

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 28, 2017

APIC are consistently supportive, encouraging and helpful. The study options are flexible which allows it to fit in with work and family life. The workbooks are thorough and the practical days provide invaluable experience in implementing theory into practice and making contact with other students. The practical assessors spend a great deal of time and effort giving contextual examples of theory and lots of personalised feedback, which is so helpful.

Wyong

• 2 comments
  • 6 answers
  • 5 helpful votes
Private message

Buyer beware

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 28, 2017

I am posting this review as a warning to potential students, AIPC engages in misleading advertising & when they tell you it's self paced learning & you can take as long as you need & there's no further charges, you are being mislead. I invested thousands in my course, then not long after starting, life got in the way, relationship breakdown & separation, sick child, father passed & then my own health went, but it was always my intention to come back to the course & I was confident that there would be no problem, as I'd been told repeatedly that time isn't an issue. Boy was I wrong! When I contacted AIPC about restarting my course, I was told it had been too long & they would only give me a 50% credit on what I had already paid, so I would need to invest thousands more if I wished to finish what I started. I was also told that I could take it to Fair Trading, but they won't do anything after 3 years has passed. So obviously this is a conversation that has taken place with other students who have been placed in the same situation & therefore AIPC believes they can mislead people & have no consequences. Extremely immoral & unprofessional. I went through their complaints "process", another thing that is misleading, as they say you can complain to the CEO & then appeal to the board if you're unhappy with the decision, yet it is only one person, the CEO, making the decision in both instances. So of course I complained & raised issues such as misleading advertising on both time & money issues, & also discrimination issues, but to date they have not responded to ANY of these issues & only state that if I wish to continue I can cough up more money. I feel so strongly about this injustice that I will continue warning others about AIPC & if I can help just 1 person from being mislead then fantastic.

Comments
Australian Institute of Professional Counsellors Official

Thank you for your comments. It is important that we are all on the same page when it comes to ‘self-pacing’ studies. While full time study of the course is 24 months, self-pacing means a student... read more »

I totally agree that we should all "be on the same page" when it comes to advertising a product & the time for doing that is when a buyer is looking to purchase the product. The application I comp... read more »

Australian Institute of Professional Counsellors Official

We have explained the requirements of self-pacing studies and how your circumstances do not demonstrate self-pacing. Your studies are not active as you have not submitted any work for over 10 years... read more »

An inspiring study choice!

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 28, 2017

Pragmatically speaking, the AIPC offered what I needed in terms of self-paced, on-line study. However, as a student, I have received so much more than that. The workbooks are excellently structured and the reading materials and resources are highly relevant. The written assessment feedback has always been returned in great time, has been of great value and has motivated me to keep working hard. Our prac assessor in Tasmania has been inspiring, sharing an enormous amount of professional experience that truly helped us to understand that we could do this - be a counsellor and help other people with their journeys. All of the staff I deal with at AIPC are responsive and very helpful which is another huge factor in making this a great organisation to study with. I am close to finishing my Diploma and am looking forward to being able to create change in my own life because of it. A big Thank You to AIPC for providing a course that is helping me to cultivate a new pathway as a counsellor! Kind regards, Alison.

Thank you AIPC!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 27, 2017

"The AIPC are really, really, really good at what they do. Their learning/training platform, both affordable and self-paced, in the comfort of my own home, was a wonderful, streamlined experience! As a full-time Mum, being able to study at home in school hours with 24/7 access to materials, resources and fabulous staff was invaluable to me. Post grad, I now look forward to making a difference and enriching peoples lives! With thanks, Amanda J Taylor"

A great launchpad for a counselling career

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 21, 2017

As a mature student living in regional Australia I wanted a course that could be delivered in its entirety online. The AIPC Diploma in Counselling was perfect. I was able to complete all the theory and practicals from home. The course material and assignment feedback was of a consistently high quality. Most importantly, I now feel confident I can embark on my new career as a professional counsellor.

Thankyou AIPC

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 21, 2017

I am pleased to have completed the first half of my counseling study with AIPC. From the first point of contact to assessors student support team, no matter who I call they are always there to help. Prompt replies to emails are such blessing to those like me who have such little spare time.
The online resources are a great help and easy to access. Study materials are comprehensive and easy to follow. I am looking forward to rest of my study with you. AIPC you have made it pleasurable journey so far. Attending the practical assessments at the Carina campus was such wonderful experience. It’s worth visiting just for the thoughtfully and tastefully catered delicious morning tea. Thank you.

AIPC provided me with excellent facilities to study at home whilst caring for my family

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 20, 2017

I found the tutorials invaluable to practise skills set, meet with
lecturers and confer with other students. I found the study materials
easy to understand, topical and learnt a lot about different aspects about
various counselling techniques.

Make the change

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 20, 2017

I had a career change in mind, after the course i realized there was so much more to learn to become a professional counselor. The skills i learned have help me to start developing my own business as well as change my career to an employment advisor. Still studying with AIPC and would go know where else. Staff in Perth are so supportive and remain in contact even after completing my Diploma. What to know what true education and training is then AIPC is the place to go.

Perfect re-entry into learning

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 20, 2017

My experience with AIPC thus far (I'm a third of the way through my Diploma of Counselling course) has been great. I was looking for a course that not only provided theoretical knowledge, but also provided a chance to 'road test' this knowledge, and to practice applying it. The provision of easy to use and useful tools, very thorough and comprehensive reading materials and, most importantly for me, the chance to apply skills through Practical sessions have proved really effective. I was concerned that I might read lots of theory and never reall y know if what I'd read was truly understood, or if it would work in the real world. The Practical sessions have left me reassured that what I'm learning is definitely practically applicable, and I find I know more than I think I do when it comes to managing a counselling situation. I've also found my concerns about returning to study as a mature student were overcome with the help of the friendly and supportive team at AIPC - I highly recommend both this course and AIPC in general.

It's a great life experience

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 19, 2017

I really appreciate the service of AIPC from the very first day I enrolled in the course. They were so friendly and supportive. I like their student portal and it was so much user friendly. I also appreciate their academic staff as well as the non-academic staff for their effective service.

Verified Customer

Learning and loving it!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 19, 2017

I am currently studying a Diploma of Counselling with AIPC and I am very happy and impressed with the support I receive from all staff. Assessors have extensive experience in counselling and a range of community support sectors. Study materials are relevant, evidence-based and easily accessible through a user-friendly eLearning environment. If anyone is considering studying a degree in Counselling, I would highly recommend AIPC.

Great envorinment for anyone with fear of failure

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 18, 2017

My experience with AIPC was ...for someone who had not studied since high school and as a mature (40+) student being fearflul of failure... that this was a very supportive environment; I felt supported, {and mentored in a way}, to continue with my study despite any NYC I received. I developed a resilience that I never knew I had. I graduated with my diploma and have found my future is now opening up to lots of possibilities for me... Thanks to all at AIPC for the new found direction in my life

Wonderful

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 18, 2017

The team at AIPC are truly lovely people, highly professional and friendly. Every step of the way they have always had the time to address any and all concerns I may have had and it has truly left a great impression on me. When I took my first practical assessment I was pretty nervous, (as pretty much everyone in the group seminar was I imagine), but the facilitator made us feel welcomed, comfortable and was very reassuring. The facilitator gave us plenty of opportunities to ask questions and answered any and all concerns we had. The space the facilitator created was beautiful, very non-judgemental and warm, allowing us in the group to feel comfortable and at ease with performing our role plays for the assessment in a mature way. We were encouraged to evaluate our performances in a positive light, where we recognised areas for growth as well as all the things we did right - it was very positive. It was a truly wonderful experience being a part of such a supportive group and rather than being anxious I now can't wait to do my future assessments! I would recommend the AIPC to anyone considering learning counselling skills or wanting to go into the field of counselling, the content is great and the people are awesome. 5/5