Excellent training

5 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 04, 2017

The Sydney Campus of AIPC excelled in their training and delivery of the counselling qualification. The admin, tutors and assessors were very supportive and encouraging and a wealth of knowledge in their role.
The support offered and received from the campus inspired me to finish the qualification
The only negative feedback I can give is the lack of communication from AIPC Head office in QLD, otherwise, I highly recommend AIPC, especially Sydney Campus, based in Parramatta

Perth

Private message

Will bleed you out of your last dollar

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 20, 2017

I would like to warm all potential students to be very careful before signing into an agreement with AIPC. After 3 months of enrolment for a Dip of counselling, I had to cancel or put on hold my course indefinitely and requested this in writing. I am a single mother of 3 on a pension and my situation could not allow me to pay my bills anymore let alone my course payments. After writing to them, I was advised that I COULD NOT put the course on hold and I had to sign a cancellation form agreeing to pay over $4000 to cancel it ( I had already paid over $1000) I advised to them this is an online course, surely there are some compassionate grounds here to warrant my cancellation. It was an online course and I never completed 1 unit and received 1 lot of paperwork over the last few months so what is the justification for this cancellation fee. I was told administrative costs.

This is clearly unfair contract law which the ACCC looks at closely especially with private study organisations ( a current affair has recently done a program on open colleges)

Last week they took my last $209 out of my account after I clearly withdrew my authorisation to debit my card. This was my food shopping money for me and 3 children for the week. After calling them to tell them this, Nausheen Khan responded with "that's not my problem" . For a private organisation that specialises in counselling courses, this was just appalling and uncompassionate to say the least.

I then received an email from Sandra Poletto CEO of AIPC advising me if I was to review them on social media or online , she would undertake legal action for my actions.

I have since contacted my bank who are disputing the transaction and have made an appointment with legal aid who will assist me in my legal matters with them. This conduct is clearly unconscionable and clearly a way to make money out of consumers who are otherwise unknowing of their rights. I have read a few similar reviews online about AIPC doing the same thing to other people so please beware or get in contact so something can be done to stop this business taking advantage of their customers.

Mandurah

• 2 helpful votes
Private message

One of the best courses I have undertaken

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 13, 2017

Having completed my Diploma in Counselling with the AIPC I have to say that this is one of the best courses I have undertaken and the liaison with the administration staff was excellent. The assessors for the workshops were extremely knowledgeable and overall I thoroughly enjoyed my time studying with them. I would recommend this course to anyone contemplating counselling.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Very happy with aipc

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 09, 2017

I am very happy with AIPC and would recommend AIPC to anybody wishing to commence studies in counselling. The staff were always available and friendly when support or information was required, and the format was effective in regards to learning and development.

Tweed Heads

• 21 comments
  • 2 questions
  • 32 answers
  • 4 helpful votes

Tick Tock Now That's A Clock

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 31, 2017

I just wanted to thank AIPC on running a first

Class course, my second attempt, Sandra Poletto

Runs a. Fantastic business that is people

Elle for some reason isn’t at the same office

Very sadly missed!

Oriented, all lovely staff and great value for

Money l challenge anyone to do objectively

better.

Very best wishes

Greg.

• 1 answer

Diploma of Counselling

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 28, 2017

I found the practical focus of this course very refreshing. The study material covers the theory and its practical application to real world situations. Assessment workbooks were marked quickly and feedback given. Help was forthcoming if it was requested. Staff at all contact points were friendly and helpful.
Practical assessment days were invaluable for understanding how to apply counselling skills and different therapies to people with a diverse range of needs.
I thoroughly enjoyed this learning experience.
The practical assessment day facilitators were experienced and knew how to guide the students to help them gain as much as possible from each day through discussion, feedback, demonstration and structuring the assessment task for student completion.

Very rewarding experience

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 22, 2017

The practical sessions I have completed to date have been of great value, they complimented the theory side of the modules. As an assessor David's wealth of knowledge and experience is invaluable. To date I have found my studies worthwhile and I am learning new skills which is benefiting me not only in my studies but also in my everyday life.

I have received exceptional support from AIPC as I progress through my studies, they are always willing to assist with any query and respond in a friendly and timely manner.

First Practical Assessment

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 22, 2017

Last weekend I completed my first practical assessment. Our assessor Michelle was and is incredible knowledgeable and kept us as well as our nerves at ease. It is amazing how much of a difference it makes to join the workshop. It not only helped me to cement the knowledge of these first 2 units, but I also got to experience how other students performed and was able to give and get feedback which is an invaluable experience I believe. This is only the beginning for me, but I'm already looking forward to my next practical assessment.

• 1 question
Private message

An inspiring journey of personal growth and achievement....

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 14, 2017

I have learnt a lot of background information about the way counselling operates, its different theories and absolutely loved the workshops. You gain so much valuable information and skills from the facilitators and feedback from others in the group. Also you meet such a wide variety of people from all ethnic and career backgrounds ...I loved this aspect. As far as counselling skills go, you learn to see situations from other peoples perspectives, 'walk in their shoes' for a moment and learn to do what is best for them at this time, not enforce your own personal beliefs and ideas. I think this was a valuable lesson and skill to learn, as it is easy to see the world from your point of view and it takes a conscious effort to regard another persons way in which they view the world around them. That everyone is uniquely individual, just as you are. The academic knowledge obtained throughout the diploma provides you with a broad spectrum of theories and information to draw from and become a well rounded and competent counsellor. No regrets at all about doing this diploma, sometimes a bit repetitive in it's questions but that would be my only gripe. When submitting your assessments, don't get discouraged if you receive a NYC (not yet competent), you are not alone. It is basically a way of making sure you have a clearer understanding of a particular question, not that you are 'stupid'! Don't be apprehensive about calling the help line when stuck or uncertain about what is being asked, I always had positive outcomes and encouragement. Sometimes you just don't get it, especially when you don't have a teacher up the front of the class to clarify things...ring them! It took me about 18 months to finish this diploma, putting in solid blocks for each units, say 6 hours a day, then giving myself a week off as a reward. I found if I left a unit in the middle it was hard to get back into it. Enjoy and grow on your journey....Daniella

Feedback - everyone can improve

4 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 08, 2017

Feedback for AIPC counselling:
The new assessment booklets are highly repetitious and I feel unnecessarily lengthy. They are making me angry and I feel if they are making me angry, they would be turning other people off altogether and the rate of drop out could increase. This is a massive barrier to people who don’t necessarily have higher literacy skills.
The study guides are very informative and well set out. However, the study guides contain several spelling errors and punctuation errors. This has made me really not care too much about my spelling or punctuation in my assessment books. However, I feel it is very unprofessional especially for an institution who claims to be the best in the industry. You would just need an experienced proof reader or person highly trained in literacy skills to read over all of the assessments and correct them. ME! Griffith University paid me to do this for their mathematics program and journal articles in 2015. Additionally, I did it for Education Queensland for new curriculum documents.
If your trainers have their Cert IV in T&A they should understand how adults learn which is very similar to children. This means several opportunities to see and do counselling practices. Studying at home is very different to the pracs and I feel there would be confident counsellors coming out of the course if they were provided with: an opportunity to view example counselling role plays for each prac assessment; prompt sheets with example phrases counsellors could use; example open ended questions counsellors could use; clear 1 pager reminders of each therapy we have studied that could compile a comprehensive folder of what we have learnt for each therapy and use it like a quick reminder for practice. Additionally, I feel AIPC could provide templated documentation for counsellors to use in private practice. These would just be templates and subject to copyright and changing laws but would be a great resource that are in fact provided by other counselling schools. Two of my friends who have completed their Diploma of Counselling have received a booklet of templates on their final prac/graduation. The booklets are amazing.
The girls you have in your office in Brisbane are amazing. Alice and another girl I can’t think of atm have been exceptionally helpful, friendly, nonjudgemental and accommodating. Employees like these girls need regular praise, recognition and critical feedback to grow. They strike me as the types of girls who can handle feedback and would use it to better themselves – which is an asset for any employee for any business and I feel it is a criteria for success. In regards to feedback, getting us to give it at the end of each session is completely subjective and can be linked to handwriting for filling out forms. In my own experience you don’t get the best feedback this way. Maybe think about using an anonymous feedback survey system for pracs like this. While it may be another thing to do feedback can take any business from good to amazing, and honest feedback is the best.
The prac assessment trainers have been good. I feel everyone has room to better themselves but giving feedback needs to be as gentle as counselling, which I am sure you are aware of, but especially a workplace culture of feedback and growth not only makes great employees but also makes the organisation one people want to work for. Trainers are the face of AIPC for me and I feel they are people who may be seen as experts but also need to be included in a feedback system. There have been trainers I have loved and others I have learnt different things from.
I have absolutely loved the content of this course but I feel my learning could have been better with some added and well thought out educational extras that could make AIPC present this course better than any other RTO. I have loved learning what I have learnt and the self paced option. Other things I have loved and I feel you should keep doing are:
• Amazing morning teas
• Sending minties in the mail
• Sending affirmation bookmarks and cards
• Getting emails and phone calls to see how I’m progressing (this happened twice and I loved it. I’d recommend doing this more for so many reasons including making your students feel loved, included, thought of and; to increase the rate of students completing their courses online).
• Giving feedback on our pracs posted out
• Group pracs
• The location is amazing – the house is welcoming and warm.

Verified Customer

Flexible and supported learning

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 28, 2017

APIC are consistently supportive, encouraging and helpful. The study options are flexible which allows it to fit in with work and family life. The workbooks are thorough and the practical days provide invaluable experience in implementing theory into practice and making contact with other students. The practical assessors spend a great deal of time and effort giving contextual examples of theory and lots of personalised feedback, which is so helpful.

Wyong

• 2 comments
  • 6 answers
  • 6 helpful votes

Buyer beware

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 28, 2017

I am posting this review as a warning to potential students, AIPC engages in misleading advertising & when they tell you it's self paced learning & you can take as long as you need & there's no further charges, you are being mislead. I invested thousands in my course, then not long after starting, life got in the way, relationship breakdown & separation, sick child, father passed & then my own health went, but it was always my intention to come back to the course & I was confident that there would be no problem, as I'd been told repeatedly that time isn't an issue. Boy was I wrong! When I contacted AIPC about restarting my course, I was told it had been too long & they would only give me a 50% credit on what I had already paid, so I would need to invest thousands more if I wished to finish what I started. I was also told that I could take it to Fair Trading, but they won't do anything after 3 years has passed. So obviously this is a conversation that has taken place with other students who have been placed in the same situation & therefore AIPC believes they can mislead people & have no consequences. Extremely immoral & unprofessional. I went through their complaints "process", another thing that is misleading, as they say you can complain to the CEO & then appeal to the board if you're unhappy with the decision, yet it is only one person, the CEO, making the decision in both instances. So of course I complained & raised issues such as misleading advertising on both time & money issues, & also discrimination issues, but to date they have not responded to ANY of these issues & only state that if I wish to continue I can cough up more money. I feel so strongly about this injustice that I will continue warning others about AIPC & if I can help just 1 person from being mislead then fantastic.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Australian Institute of Professional Counsellors Official

Thank you for your comments. It is important that we are all on the same page when it comes to ‘self-pacing’ studies. While full time study of the course is 24 months, self-pacing means a student... read more »

I totally agree that we should all "be on the same page" when it comes to advertising a product & the time for doing that is when a buyer is looking to purchase the product. The application I comp... read more »

Australian Institute of Professional Counsellors Official

We have explained the requirements of self-pacing studies and how your circumstances do not demonstrate self-pacing. Your studies are not active as you have not submitted any work for over 10 years... read more »

Private message

An inspiring study choice!

4 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 28, 2017

Pragmatically speaking, the AIPC offered what I needed in terms of self-paced, on-line study. However, as a student, I have received so much more than that. The workbooks are excellently structured and the reading materials and resources are highly relevant. The written assessment feedback has always been returned in great time, has been of great value and has motivated me to keep working hard. Our prac assessor in Tasmania has been inspiring, sharing an enormous amount of professional experience that truly helped us to understand that we could do this - be a counsellor and help other people with their journeys. All of the staff I deal with at AIPC are responsive and very helpful which is another huge factor in making this a great organisation to study with. I am close to finishing my Diploma and am looking forward to being able to create change in my own life because of it. A big Thank You to AIPC for providing a course that is helping me to cultivate a new pathway as a counsellor! Kind regards, Alison.

Thank you AIPC!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 27, 2017

"The AIPC are really, really, really good at what they do. Their learning/training platform, both affordable and self-paced, in the comfort of my own home, was a wonderful, streamlined experience! As a full-time Mum, being able to study at home in school hours with 24/7 access to materials, resources and fabulous staff was invaluable to me. Post grad, I now look forward to making a difference and enriching peoples lives! With thanks, Amanda J Taylor"

A great launchpad for a counselling career

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 21, 2017

As a mature student living in regional Australia I wanted a course that could be delivered in its entirety online. The AIPC Diploma in Counselling was perfect. I was able to complete all the theory and practicals from home. The course material and assignment feedback was of a consistently high quality. Most importantly, I now feel confident I can embark on my new career as a professional counsellor.

Thankyou AIPC

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 21, 2017

I am pleased to have completed the first half of my counseling study with AIPC. From the first point of contact to assessors student support team, no matter who I call they are always there to help. Prompt replies to emails are such blessing to those like me who have such little spare time.
The online resources are a great help and easy to access. Study materials are comprehensive and easy to follow. I am looking forward to rest of my study with you. AIPC you have made it pleasurable journey so far. Attending the practical assessments at the Carina campus was such wonderful experience. It’s worth visiting just for the thoughtfully and tastefully catered delicious morning tea. Thank you.

AIPC provided me with excellent facilities to study at home whilst caring for my family

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 20, 2017

I found the tutorials invaluable to practise skills set, meet with
lecturers and confer with other students. I found the study materials
easy to understand, topical and learnt a lot about different aspects about
various counselling techniques.

Make the change

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 20, 2017

I had a career change in mind, after the course i realized there was so much more to learn to become a professional counselor. The skills i learned have help me to start developing my own business as well as change my career to an employment advisor. Still studying with AIPC and would go know where else. Staff in Perth are so supportive and remain in contact even after completing my Diploma. What to know what true education and training is then AIPC is the place to go.

Perfect re-entry into learning

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 20, 2017

My experience with AIPC thus far (I'm a third of the way through my Diploma of Counselling course) has been great. I was looking for a course that not only provided theoretical knowledge, but also provided a chance to 'road test' this knowledge, and to practice applying it. The provision of easy to use and useful tools, very thorough and comprehensive reading materials and, most importantly for me, the chance to apply skills through Practical sessions have proved really effective. I was concerned that I might read lots of theory and never really know if what I'd read was truly understood, or if it would work in the real world. The Practical sessions have left me reassured that what I'm learning is definitely practically applicable, and I find I know more than I think I do when it comes to managing a counselling situation. I've also found my concerns about returning to study as a mature student were overcome with the help of the friendly and supportive team at AIPC - I highly recommend both this course and AIPC in general.

It's a great life experience

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 19, 2017

I really appreciate the service of AIPC from the very first day I enrolled in the course. They were so friendly and supportive. I like their student portal and it was so much user friendly. I also appreciate their academic staff as well as the non-academic staff for their effective service.

1 of 2 pages

Can the course be done part time ? And is Vet fee help available

Debra D asked on Oct 10, 2017

I am thinking about enrolling in Diploma of Counselling and was wondering if former students found gaining employment in Counselling challenging?

Penny A asked on Aug 28, 2017

Answer this

You might consider this a long winded answer but please bear with me.
No qualification guarantees employment these days. How many people have large HECS debts and fairly useless degrees?
This course allows you to "test the waters" without incurring tens of thousands of dollars worth of debt. Frankly for the cost of the course its worth doing it just for a personal learning experience because you learn a skill set that should help you in any type of employment especially with the emphasis on listening to hear.
I did the course to change careers, it is transportable if you move areas and you can be self employed. There are opportunities for employment but you must seek them out yourself, just like any other field of employment.
What we did learn is that companies often advertise for counsellors but ask for a psychologist qualifications. They are not the same and each has an entirely different skill set. Psychologists do a lot of university study and the current training is all about testing and diagnosis and labelling your condition. If you see a psychologist and are diagnosed with a "disorder" you end up with a mental health record. If you see a counsellor you do not. Each profession has its place but given the choice and this information I think many people are seeing psychologists when seeing a counsellor is what they really meant to do.
After seeing the skills of the experienced teacher / assessors in this course I can't recommend this course highly enough. Skilled counsellors can help people without having to label them, there is no magic bullet to fix everybody but if you have ever had a major drama in your life and do this course you will understand how their training can help you help others.
As a bonus you also meet a diverse range of people on the practical assessment days who are also doing the course. The one thing they have in common is they care and would like to help people. I found this incredibly refreshing.
If you wanted extra qualifications then there is the capacity to "upgrade" your qualification later and there is an obligation for you as a trained counsellor to continue ongoing professional development (just like many professions).
This course combines theory with practical skills, just like my original degree did (in another field). I chose not to do psychology within that degree precisely because it did not have the component of practical application of the theory.
Hope this all makes sense.