Review rating:

• 7 helpful votes
Private message

Very functional

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 24, 2015

I was a little hesitant to buy this item because it's a brand I hadn't heard of and somewhat of a niche product. I'm very glad I did however because it's proved to scan books very well.

The scanner and the software that comes with it are both slightly dated-looking, but that's misleading because the functionality is very good. I was also a little concerned about reliability but I've had it a couple of years now and there's been no problems. Admittedly I have only scanned a few books with it over that period though.

It is quite fast, taking a couple of seconds to scan each page at 300dpi greyscale or colour. There's certainly no finger-tapping as I have experienced with some cheap flatbeds. The claim is that it will scan to within 2mm of the spine, and I can verify this. I just started scanning a book that only has about 5mm margin and it is accommodating that without issue. The edge of the bed is not 90 degrees; it falls away at about 120 degrees but that is fine for books with even quite stiff spines, and does not require you to flatten or strain the book.

Aside from those essential physical characteristics, the accompanying software is also surprisingly good. I didn't expect that it would even have special software but the program is aimed specifically at scanning books and has many features to facilitate that. It auto-sizes the page and allows you to easily flip the image and trim the edge shadows and speckles that you invariably get when scanning books (through no fault of the scanner). The resultant output is neat and high quality.

I think in fact there are loads of ways to optimize the configuration of this software. I've pretty much just used in the most obvious and straightforward way but if you do a lot of scanning it would no doubt be worthwhile to actually read the manual (it comes with a printed manual, btw) and find out how to get the most out of it. It has a lot of options.

Scanning books is necessarily laborious with a flatbed - there's no getting away from picking up the book and turning the page each time. I reckon this product and it's accompanying software make it about as easy as it can get though. I'm very pleased with it.