As of the 17th of August 2015, Mecu rebranded to Bank Australia.

Great service and an ethical bank to boot!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 10, 2018

We have been customers with ANZ for a long time (my husband for 40 years) and were fed up with their poor offering (although we did have some very good service from some staff, in spite of management it seemed). We also wished to do our banking with a bank that had no investments in fossil fuels. We moved to Bank Australia, a non-profit bank with a very positive ethical philosophy.

The customer service we received was exceptional and we had very prompt responses along the way. There is a shopfront in the city, which is very convenient. We have no hesitation in recommending their services and have done so to many.

My Bank

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 09, 2018

I have been with Bank Australia all the way since its evolution from Education Credit Union.
Obviously, being owned by it customers, the Banks primary focus is on its customers/members and as driven by its members, its environmental and social morality, incredibly refreshing and in stark contrast to the other main stream banks.
The banks customer service is friendly and professional and reflects the fact that the focus is on the customers best interests rather than " how we can extract the greatest profit from them"..

In my opinion, the best bank in Australia.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 06, 2018

Before the bank was created I was a member of one of the credit unions which amalgamated to form MECU. I have lived overseas for over six years now and I have still received excellent service and advice to resolve any problems that have occurred. On a recent short trip to Australia when I had a security problem with my card, after a short call to the call centre and then next day a visit to the local branch where the problem was rectified with the excellent product knowledge and customer service of the staff.

Thanks to some individuals such as Bianca Dellavedova in Bendigo

4 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 04, 2018

I have been with Bank Australia for nearly 40 years. I started with SEC credit union back in the late 70's. I have borrowed numerous times (4 mortgages and several other personal loans). All paid back on time OR early in most cases, except the last which I am paying back quicker than required. Last year I had several issues with the bank, sloppy, slow and service didn't seem to be something they really wanted to show. When I complained, the Bank Resolution people told me I had to discuss the complaint with the very person I complained about.!!!! They actually wanted me to ring and make an appointment, then drive to Bendigo (I live out of town) to discuss my complaint with the person I complained about. Unbelievable!!! This is the Banks answer to complaints. The resolution people are worse than the person/people I had trouble with. Very sloppy and don't want to discuss anything with a customer unless it means you will go away. They are most certainly not interested in making the Bank a better business to deal with. I still never heard back from them with my last email. I then started to look for another Bank. I was about to change to Bendigo Bank when I had the luck to be dealing with Bianca at Bank Aust in Bendigo. Since then I have nothing but great service. Listens, makes things happen when required, gives advice etc etc. Everything you want from a bank. Bank Australia...........be thankful for the Bianca's you have.......but consider the Resolution team you have. At least NOW I get great Service with Bianca. Hold on to her. You don't seem to have too many left. None of the above is a gripe nor exaggerated. Quite the opposite.

Comments
Bank Australia Official

Hi Simon, thanks for your review. We're sorry to hear this was your experience but are very pleased that Bianca at our Bendigo branch was able to help and ensure a positive experience banking with ... read more »

Leading bank in customer service and ethical banking

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 02, 2018

Recently, I went into Bank Australia (Canberra) with a friend who had been shopping around for a home loan. Meeting with Alex from the branch, he had explained the banks values and what sets Bank Australia apart from the rest.
I hadn’t been looking to even change banks, however was taken back by Alex’s approach and service I later that week opened an account online and recently closed accounts with other banks I had previously been with.

Bank Australia are truely focused on making a real difference within the financial sector and not only to tick a box to act with corporate responsibility but to challenge the industry.

Becoming a member of Bank Australia, I’m proud to be part owner of not only Bank Australia but the Conservation Fund put together by the bank and wholly owned by the members.

Comments
Bank Australia Official

Hi Tom, thanks for leaving a review. It's wonderful to hear you've recently become a customer after heading along with your friend to our Canberra branch! We're so pleased you support our values an... read more »

newcastle

Private message

Caring for their customers and where their money goes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 30, 2018

Exceptional customer service and follow up (a special mention to Brad). We felt genuinely cared for during our recent experience changing our home loan over to Bank Australia. We also feel great about our money going to a responsible bank who invests in community projects and affordable housing, and not in fossil fuels and live exports! Highly recommend!

Comments
Bank Australia Official

Hi Laurenn, thanks for leaving a review. It's so great to hear you've recently refinanced your home loan with us and had such a positive experience doing so! We're really pleased you support our va... read more »

Best bank in Aussie

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 28, 2018

The only bank I know of who actually care about people and the environment. Plus they offer good services at competitive prices.

Comments
Bank Australia Official

Hi Xavier, thanks so much for leaving a review. We're so pleased you feel this way and that you support our responsible banking approach! Great to have you as a customer. Thanks, Bank Australia

Verified Customer

Construction Loan - Highly Recommended!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 28, 2018

My partner and I have recently taken out a construction loan with Bank Australia, I cannot believe how seamless the service has been from Glenn and Bank Australia during the construction of our new home. Building a house can be stressful at times and I've seen the dramas that many people experience from a financial side of things. Our experience has been the complete opposite, Glenn made the ‘money stuff’ an absolute breeze for us; he was always prompt when replying to my emails and provided an overall consistent, professional and transparent service. I can honestly say that I will be recommending Bank Australia to friends and family.

Comments
Bank Australia Official

Hi Emily, thanks for taking the time to leave a review. It's great to hear you've recently taken out a construction loan with us for your new home. We're so pleased Glenn was so helpful and transpa... read more »

positive action before the talk

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 28, 2018

I have been with the bank since 1985. It has been more personable than any of the big banks and mush,much more customer orientated. With recent necessary changes the banks approach was one of "you need is our priority" expressed by action and follow up.

Comments
Bank Australia Official

Hi Leonard, thanks for leaving a review. Fantastic to hear you've been a customer for more than 30 years! We're so pleased you feel we provide customer oriented service. Thanks for banking with us for so long! Bank Australia

Better than all the rest!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 26, 2018

I have been with Bank Australia since 2012, however previously I was with one of the Credit Unions that joined with this bank.
I have always been happy with Bank Australia.
I don’t call often but nice that the phone is answered within a minute or two. Good customer service.

Comments
Bank Australia Official

Hi Vonny, thanks so much for leaving a review. It's great to hear you've been a customer for several years and that you have always been happy banking with us. Wonderful to have you as a customer! Thanks, Bank Australia

Positive experience

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 26, 2018

Customer experience was one of the best. Brad kept us in the loop throughout the whole process. It was a pleasant surprise to follow on a friend's recommendation.

Comments
Bank Australia Official

Hi Ana, thanks for leaving a review. It's great to hear you've had such a positive experience banking with us and that Brad was very helpful throughout the process. We'll pass your compliments on! Thanks for choosing to bank with us! Bank Australia

Perth

• 1 comment
  • 1 answer
  • 11 helpful votes
Private message

Very happy so far. What EVERY bank SHOULD be.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 26, 2018

We have only been with BA since 15.10.18 and they have been nothing but brilliant. Customer service is impeccable and very professional. Staff are so friendly and very helpful and you don't even have to wait more than 2 minutes to speak to someone.
After being a CBA customer for over 35 yrs, I finally had enough. When they took it upon themselves to increased my interest rate .15% to 4.12% on 4.10.18 against the RBA, that was it for me. I closed ALL my accounts with them and opened an BA account for my company, joint account for the wifey and I and we have just had our refinance loan with BA approved only 24 days from when I applied on the 3.65% rate they have at the moment.
Sonia Lee in the lending department as AWESOME. She worked so hard at getting our lone approved and I highly recommend her to anyone.
As far as the banking is concerned, it is a breeze. The app is easy to ready and understand, but in the evening, the pending transactions disappear and only the amounts show. Perhaps it needs a looking into by the developers.
I absolutely LOVE the ApplePay with my iPhone X as I just double tap the power button, face ID, then tap and go. Takes a whole 3 sec to do. :)
I highly recommend BA to ANYONE looking to transfer from any of the Big (ripoff) Banks to a smaller, much more people friendly bank and get the piece of mind that we all deserve.
Well done BA...BRAVO. (standing ovation)

Comments
Bank Australia Official

Hi Dave, thanks for taking the time to leave a review. It's great to hear you've recently become a customer! We're so pleased that you are really happy with our products and services, including our... read more »

Customer service excellence

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 25, 2018

Been with this bank through its transition from Credit Union to bank over 35 years. Staff always very helpful, informing and advising of new products. Was handy location at UQ St Lucia

Comments
Bank Australia Official

Hi DeeDee, thanks for taking the time to leave a review. It's wonderful to hear you've been a customer for more than 35 years! We're so pleased you continue to have such a positive experience banki... read more »

Sydney

From CBA to Bank Australia

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 23, 2018

My searches for a more ethical bank conducted me towards Bank Australia. I was hesitant at first as I really loved the CBA app. What a surprise that was when I discovered Bank Australia's app... clean, easy to use and has almost all the features that CBA has.

Opening a bank account was easy, I did find the debit card could have been delivered faster but with PayID I have actually managed it for a few days transferring money quickly between accounts.

The account layout is clean and I like that debits are in red and credits in black.... shame there is more debit lines than credits... :-(

Receiving international payments however seems a little more complicated than most banks. Bank Australia does not have a swift and uses WesternUnion Business Solution. You have to fill a form online and an email is then generated with payment instructions you can then provide to the third party paying you. To be honest, I did not like this and instead got paid via Moneygram which was much easier.

Lastly and this is a request to Bank Australia, please change the pictures on your app. "The bank that doesn't lend to the fossil fuel industry"...perhaps a picture of the great barrier reef, and this would work well with your bank name also...after all this is Australia's world heritage.

Comments
Bank Australia Official

Hi Damo, thanks for leaving a review. Great to hear you've recently become a customer and that you found opening an account easy. We appreciate your feedback regarding delivery of your card, intern... read more »

branch staff make you feel like a mate. A true blue Aussie quality.

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 23, 2018

As a customer of a number of years now, I feel that the interactions that staff at the glen have with the customers is something to be championed. The sincerity and warmth they all show to all customers is genuine, every visit one where i leave smiling and with a laugh.

Comments
Bank Australia Official

Hi Dan, thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We're so pleased to hear that you've had such a positive experience banking with us through our Glen Waverley team. We'll pass your compliments... read more »

Ethical, flexible and good client service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 20, 2018

I have just transferred to Bank Australia from one of the larger banks seeking a more ethical Bank. In addition to this I have received excellent customer service that is friendly, flexible and very responsive. Lots of communication and kept to timeframes.

Comments
Bank Australia Official

Hi Anni, thanks for taking the time to leave a review. It's fantastic to hear you've recently become a customer and that you've had such a positive experience with our customer service so far. Than... read more »

Great and easy banking

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 20, 2018

Have been with this bank for three weeks now and setting up my account was really easy. Great customer service in person and through telephone, received my card quite fast, and app works well.

Comments
Bank Australia Official

Hi Duka de Vos, thanks for leaving a review. It's wonderful to hear you've recently become a customers and that you found opening an account really easy. We're really pleased that you've had a posi... read more »

Private message

Banking made easy - and I have been with a few!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 19, 2018

Over 5 years and I can always get to talk to a someone about any issue I may have. Excellent customer service and I feel they are always working toward a good outcome for me.

Comments
Bank Australia Official

Hi Faith, thanks for leaving a review. It's great to hear you've had a positive experience banking with us and that you feel our customer service is excellent. Thanks for choosing to bank with us - it's great to have you as a customer! Bank Australia

Perth

• 5 helpful votes

Modern Ethical Banking

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 14, 2018

I have only recently switched to Bank Australia after The Royal Commission into Misconduct in the Banking, Superannuation and Financial Services Industry. I have found them very transparent and offer rates similar to the large commercial banks. I have yet to interact with the staff as the online account creation was quick and painless. They support all the new banking technology such as Apple Pay and Osoko PayID. I have no regrets with making the switch and I am proud to be a customer of a bank that is trying to help society no be a vampire.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bank Australia Official

Hi Liam, thanks for taking the time to leave a review. It's wonderful to hear you've recently become a customer based on our ethical and responsible approach to banking! We're really pleased you h... read more »

Bulleen

Best bank in Australia

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 14, 2018

I've been with Bank Australia since it inception. The bank has never let me down and the customer service is second to none

Comments
Bank Australia Official

Hi Henk, thanks for leaving a review. It's fantastic to hear you've been with us from the start and that you've continued to have such a positive experience throughout the years. Thanks for choosing to bank with us for so long! Bank Australia

1 of 19 pages

Hello! Do you have any Small-Business specific banking products? I am a freelancer, and looking for a bank with the lowest fees possible, and a debit/credit card. As I mostly transact online, it's important to accommodate international sales without additional fees. I would prefer a bank that would also allow upgrading to eftpos facilities once I start selling physical products. Thanks!

Ani asked on Nov 27, 2018

Answer this

Hello! We have a Commercial Access account which is designed for our business customers who want to transact with a debit card. This account has an $8 monthly fee with unlimited transactions, including online. In terms of the international sales we'd need to chat through your requirements to provide suitable information. We don't offer our own eftpos facilities however we can refer you to our partner, First Data, to assist when the time comes. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help with finding the right product for you. Thanks, Bank Australia

Can someone please tell me about their ATM fees? As far as it seems, only RediATMs are fee free? I can't find their fees for the other more common ATMs anywhere. Also, what happens if I don't have $5 in my account to pay the monthly cost. As I live overseas, I don't always have a reason to use my Aussie bank. Will they just close my account outright if there's nothing in it? How's the experience for overseas residents? I'm really interested in being a member because of their ethical background, but I'm not sold on the idea as a person living primarily overseas.

Danpas asked on Nov 15, 2018

Answer this

Hi Danpas, all rediATMs are currently fee free for Bank Australia customers and will remain so until 31 December 2018. From the new year, fee free withdrawals will apply to Bank Australia branded ATMs and all of the major banks’ ATMs. The $5 fee is waived if you deposit $2000 or more into your Everyday access account each month, however given you live overseas we would suggest that you consider a non-transactional account such as our Bonus Saver or Online Saver. These types of accounts don't attract a fee. For more information visit https://bankaust.com.au/personal/save/savings-accounts/.

I am looking at changing banks - where is my closest Bank Australia Branch. I am located in Coogee Western Australia

Me6 asked on Oct 18, 2018

Answer this

My contact was only for a small home loan with BA, which was by phone and Internet to Morwell Victoria, so I didn’t use a branch and can’t answer your question. We use Bank First which has a great savings account service and you access Commonwealth Bank branches and facilities and I haven’t paid fees for years.

Hi Me6, thanks for your question. We don't currently have any branches located in Western Australia, however we have several customers who live there and bank with us using our phone and internet banking services. Thanks, Bank Australia

See all 7 questions about Bank Australia