• 1 answer

Verified Purchase

Biased against retirees

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 17, 2017

Having recently retired and spending lots of time overseas, I applied for the Bankwest platinum MasterCard as a back up overseas credit card. I own my own house (worth 750k) have a couple of hundred grand in the bank, new car, perfect credit rating etc but what I don't have is an income. I only wanted a 5 or 6 k limit. Not good enough for Bankwest. Ignored all my cash and house value wouldn't give me a card because I had no income. Put up as many roadblocks as they could until I emailed them and said don't bother. Not even the decency for a response. Its as if they believe you are worthless after age 55. Funny, they are not the only bank out there, although they clearly believe they are.

Verified Purchase

No customer service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 23, 2017

Applying for a credit card from Bankwest I waited about 3 weeks and checking on the progress twice by phone and once by email I still have no reply. I told the customer service all I wanted to know was yes or no and they promised to get back to me. Two weeks later and still no reply from them. This is disgusting service to someone with a faultless credit history (this should not matter) to just giving me an update. Nil customer service in this case.

Adelaide

Atrocious Experience!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 05, 2017

BankWest would be the hardest bank in the world to deal with. They absolutely go out of their way to make it too difficult to open up an account with them. The process is onerous, intrusive, and a waste of time. There are better products out there, with Banks that actually WANT your business. I won't ever bother trying to deal with them again, and I suggest you don't either.

• 4 answers
  • 1 helpful vote

BankWest red tape

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 04, 2017

I asked to have my zero MasterCard upgraded to a platinum zero card. Although I'm retired and get a small centrelink pension, I'm relatively wealthy. Unbelievably, BankWest put all kinds of roadblocks in the way to avoid increasing my credit limit from $2000 to a measely $6000. I was not amused especially since I've been a customer for 65 years and I've taken out four mortgages and never missed a payment. Customer loyalty means nothing to BankWest. I told them they can stick their platinum card. I have accounts and credit cards with other banks, none of which have shamefully treated me like BankWest.

• 2 helpful votes
Private message

Bankwest only care about themselves and profit

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 20, 2016

In 3 years had a 20% income reduction, now pay increase for 2 years and none coming. All costs of living have skyrocketed included a recent 20-33% transport fare increase.
Tried to have card cancelled to go on to long term plan. Other provider agreed in 5 minutes.
They said no, have their own set of rules making it impossible. The extortionate interest kept getting charged, the fees are being piled on. Paid more than the minimum required only for it be swallowed by the interest, fees and charges they deem applicable. They ending up charging more than the minimum.
Only want all of their money even if it means going without food for 4 weeks and having to walk over 20km to get to work. Will not take any payments unless its the entire about. Have been fleeced in in $1000's of dollars in interest fees and charges and the card balance it self is under $5,000.00.

Brisbane

• 6 helpful votes

Highly Recommend this-Anything to Avoid 28 Degrees MasterCard

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 26, 2016

I'm comparing my experiences with a previously held product ( being 28 Degrees MasterCard ).
I keep my overseas travel costs on a separate card to the one I use for my Australian life.
This is to protect/minimise fall out from needing to cancel cards due to fraud whilst overseas.
I always pay the full balance owing on an issued statement, at least two business days before the Due Date. Interest Rate % charges are therefore not a concern or factor when I select credit cards. Efficient customer service is one of the leading factors, plus I look for Fee-Free cards. The added attraction with this BankWest card is NO International Transaction/Foreign Currency fees for purchases.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Melbourne, Australia

• 1 review
  • 1 answer
  • 5 helpful votes

Zero Master Platinum - Excellent card

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 05, 2015

FEATURES - annual fee-FREE, travel insurance-COMPLIMENTARY, Foreign Transaction fees-FREE, 55 days interest-FREE. Even though it has higher interest, it does not matter for people who pay their balances in full by the due date. What else do you want? I have just applied for the card and I have recommended the card to many of my friends and most of them have switched over to this card. I will be getting my card this week and I am excited to do the first purchase with this card.
I used my credit card overseas and it was crystal clear and simple. Now I have been using it for the past two years without any hassles. Excellent and simply superb! I am happy that my friends who switched over to this card are having the same opinion as mine! Thank you BankWest!

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

MelbournE

• 27 comments
  • 1 question
  • 11 answers
  • 50 helpful votes
Private message

BankWest is just a pain in the ares

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 02, 2015

Unprofessional dealings on the phone. Calls me on the phone from 'private number' and hung up on me a number of times without leaving a message. Not dealing with them ever again! Stay away please.

+ No Fee, 55 days interest fee period, quick access to customer care

- Interest fee is higher those who do not pay off in full can get affected.

Adelaide

• 2 answers
  • 4 helpful votes
Private message

Awesome credit card for those who pay within the 55 days!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 27, 2015

Platinum version is the way to go, no annual fees, no foreign transaction fees (for international purchases, eBay, PC Steam account, etc.), free travel insurance (look into this one, have not used it yet), 55 days interest free.
Never paid a cent in 6 years for anything, I always pay it off via Bpay from my mortgage account 2 days before due date, fantastic!

Sydney

• 4 comments
  • 4 answers
  • 14 helpful votes

A very happy customer

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 05, 2015

I have been a very happy Bankwest customer for 3 years+, still using their home loan, transaction accounts, savings accounts, credit cards, direct debits, no complaint at all.
One thing I am different from others, I do NOT use phone banking, as human makes mistake. I use internet banking most of the time, and sometimes over the counter. I do not experience any problem at all. The staffs are friendly and efficient.
I find Bankwest internet banking setup is very neat, easy, and can't fault it, only Comm bank is on par. I would rather not use anymore Westpac internet banking. Citibank is ok.
The home loan officer was very efficient, helpful and on time, I didn't encounter any problem at all.
I have used many big four banks' products before, you name it. From my experience, all banks are the same, the main difference comes from the people, it's the staff that you're dealing with, and the staff do move from bank to bank.
Happy banking!

Brisbane

• 31 comments
  • 1 question
  • 47 answers
  • 131 helpful votes

No Fee, No Fuss

3 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 04, 2014

I joined Bankwest after my home loan finished and my Nab Visa was going to start charging an annual fee. I have had no problem with Bankwest, applying online was a breeze and everything so far is good.

The only downside is PayPass, I don't for the life of me know how someone thought less security was a good idea on credit cards. Paypass should be banned. My financial security is worth more than saving a few seconds at a register.

Bankwest (and all banks for that matter) should have the option to have cards without PayPass after all, the customers make your money. Don't we count?

One more thing, showing the Bankwest processing date shown online is useless to customers, we don't care when YOU process it, please change it to the transaction date! It makes it hard to know what some transactions are when the shown date is 2-4 days after the transaction date.

-Deducted two stars for Paypass.

Edit: Two times in one year my card was compromised. Maybe it was bad luck but in all my years of banking, only Bankwest has had this happen. Hats off to the fraud department for catching it before I even knew about it. Well done.

• 9 helpful votes

Incompetence

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 20, 2013

Got a credit card from BW years ago before the new credit regulations came into effect. I had my credit limit increase many times however, there is one time which I through the same process, 2 payslips and letter from manager. After a month, rang them up, they told me they had sent a letter which declined my credit increase which I never had received. I asked them [censored word removed], nobody rang me or advise me in writing. They said, I should have got the letter. They told me to reapply in 3-6 months time. [censored word removed] anymore, applied for other banks credit card and got the product and service I originally expected.

+ Interest free days, low annual fee or zero depending on the type

- Incompetent, rude and lazy staff on the phone

• 7 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 03, 2012

There's a few cards out there with $0 annual fee. I used to have the Virgin (now Westpac Ignite card). This card is great. No annual fee every, 55 days to pay (make sure you pay on time!). Lot of people don't know that Bankwest has now upgraded their product to include a Gold and Platinum Zero card. What it means? That you don't have to pay an annual fee, but enjoy free travel insurance (courtesy of Mastercard), extended warranties and purchase protection. If you don't care about the rewards points, then this has to be the card for you.

+ No annual fee every, only Bank to offer gold/platinum cards without annual fee, 55 days interest free, basic "mates rates" reward program

- Be careful of how balance transfers work, 1% balance transfer fee (conflicts with no annual fee), could be upgraded to include "fully fledged" reward program

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 113 helpful votes

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 09, 2012

This has been a very handy credit card to have as I have never once paid a fee with using it. I make sure that my balance is paid at the end of the month without fail. The credit card comes with no annual fees at all and you also benefit from a lengthy 55 day interest free period on anything you purchase. You do really need to ensure you are paying off your monthly balance though to ensure you do not get slugged with any fees.

+ A great credit card if you are diligent in paying off your monthly balance. A lengthy 55 day interest free period.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

• 1 review
  • 1 helpful vote
Private message

Bad

2 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 10, 2011

If you don't care about what the card looks like or you use paypal for everything it's fine. I live in a city where there is a 7-11 on every corner and because they all have bankwest atm's in them it makes it easy to access my money. Which is primarily the reason I moved to them and it's the reason I will stay with them.

+ You can have your savings account linked to the same card.

- It is one of the most ridiculous looking cards I have ever seen in my life. (the picture on this site is not the new card http://www.bankwest.com.au/noannualfeecreditcard/Images/Backgrounds/zero-classic.jpg)
My original card was plain black but since that stopped working they sent me a new one which looks like it was taken from the set of 'Johnson and Friends' or Play-school. It's actually so outlandish that I have to admit I'm a little embarrassed to pay for things with it. I doubt marketing thought about what kind of image its gives BW with people walking around with a card that looks like a still-image of a young child's vomit. Even my gay house mate thinks it looks like a 'registered clown' identification card. I have called bankwest and asked if there was an alternative such as my original card. They said I would have to change my card type.

Piara Waters, WA

• 18 comments
  • 4 questions
  • 15 answers
  • 185 helpful votes
Private message

Get my name right fellas.

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 29, 2011

I cant put down bankwest for the look of the card afterall in the end is annual fee free which I love it than having to pay some stupid amount of $46.00 from some banks for a card I hardly even use. However, I am having issue with them getting my name right on the card. First of all, the name of my mastercard was different from my bank card which I dont understand why. After sorting it out on both cards what is the name I want to put on they sent me a corrected bank card with the name I prefered and a wrongly named card. I have reported it back, and since I was the secondary holder I didnt have permit to change my own name. Having getting my partner down to varify my name, I was still given the wrong name on the card for the 4TH time! I had to go down personally and showed them all the wasted plastic, and they questioned me "Does the name actually being important?" Honestly, that wasnt spot on, I replied "This isnt the name I often used in my passport, my driving license or at work so yeah it does matter, it is my name. 5th time lucky? I am still waiting.

+ is free annual fee

- careless in handling potential good customers.

• 52 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 08, 2010

This is an ideal card if you always pay your balance off each month. With no annual fee, and a long interest-free period, you can't go wrong if you manage your money well. It's effectively a free money manager. But if you don't do this, you would be better off getting a card that does charge a fee, with lower interest rates.

+ No annual fee and a 55 day interest free period. The Gold card has excellent free insurance options. Competitive rewards scheme. Easy online access.

- Interest rates are not competitive if you don't pay your balance off each month.

• 2 answers
  • 12 helpful votes
Private message

Good

4 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 06, 2009

An excellent card for our needs as we pay off the statement balance in full every month.The interest free days and zero annual fee are therefore a bonus. Had it about 6 months now and so far so good!

+ No annual fee and up to 55 interest free days. Efficient online access. Helpful staff in the many new east coast branches.

- Slow application process (30 days+). There are better interest rates around if you want to 'run' the balance

• 8 helpful votes

OK

3 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 15, 2006

One of the few cards with no annual fee that serves you well

+ There is no annual-how can you go wrong with this card?? So pay off you debt monthly to avoid interest and this card is GOLD

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

How long did it take from application to receiving the card?

Row asked on Feb 08, 2017

Hi, am overseas at present and using the BankWest premium credi card platinum. Every time I us it I am asked if I want to make the charge in euro or ayes dollars. What should I do? Does it matter? Thanks. Roger

Roger s asked on May 10, 2016

Answer this

Hi Roger

I believe it will not matter. Whilst you are overseas, the credit card will take the country's currency for your transactions and it will automatically do the conversion rate to AUD for that particular day and that will reflect on your bill.

I was in India last year. I did my normal shopping with my credit card and all transactions were done in Indian Rupees (INR). Bankwest converted INR to AUD for that particular day and that was seen on my iphone app and the bill. Let me tell you what, it was SPOT ON!! Finally, I was happy, shopping was happy and Bankwest was happy!

Hope I have helped you atleast a bit.

Mathews

Hello Roger.
You should always accept the charge in the local currency where you are, as the retailers (shop, restaurant, etc.) own financial institution, may charge you a foreign transaction fee for paying with Aussie dollars.
BankWest do not charge foreign transaction fees at all, they use the international currency exchange rate applicable at the time of the transaction.
So when in Europe, pay with Euros and enjoy no fees.
Cheers.......Robert.

I have a new bankwest zero gold card which I got for overseas travel. I already have purchased my ticket (not with this card) however if I use it to pay for car rental in England but pay here and it costs over $500 am I eligible for the free travel insurance. That is the only reason I got it and actually wanted the platinum card and somehow seemed to be downgraded to the gold card. I may or may not use the card overseas does this matter?

izzy asked on Mar 01, 2016

Answer this

The International Travel Insurance policy is available to Bankwest World MasterCard, Platinum MasterCard and Gold MasterCard cardholders. The cardholder’s spouse and/ or dependent children also become eligible for this travel insurance policy when they meet the eligibility requirements outlined below:

Step 1. Purchase a return overseas travel ticket before leaving Australia

Step 2. Spend at least A$500 of your prepaid travel costs (includes cost of return overseas travel ticket and/ or airport departure taxes; and/ or prepaid overseas accommodation/ travel; and/ or prepaid overseas itinerary items) by one or a combination of the following methods

Step 3. Charge at least A$500 of your prepaid travel costs to your eligible credit card account and/ or; redeeming your Bankwest More Rewards points; and/ or paying with redeemable travel agency flight vouchers obtained by converting your Bankwest More Rewards points.

Product Details