Don't waste your money!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 03, 2018

I bought one of these so called possum deterrents and it had zero impact, I mean ZERO, in fact I reckon it attracted them!
I spoke to the company a few times and did what they suggested (relocating it at several different places), but still nothing. It's supposed to deter rats and mice as well, but last week we caught a large rat in a rat trap only a few metres from the Birdgard device.

I reckon anyone who claims to have success with this product must be a relative of the owner!!

Try this.

3 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 06, 2018

I haven't bought any possum deterrent devices but was interested in reading the reviews on the Bird Gard one and the company's response. Before retiring from my profession as a retired Real Estate Agent, we often had complaints from tenants regarding mice, rats and possums in ceilings. I used to get on a ladder with my upper torso into the ceiling space, and throw moth balls to all parts of the ceiling as Jonno said he did. For me, this always worked but as per the reply from the Bird Gard spokesperson perhaps sometimes it doesn't. The other thing which will remove all vermin including spiders is cellulose insulation as it has BORAX in it to make it non flammable - the day after ours was installed 2 redback spiders came down from the vent in the bathroom to escape the borax!! (I put mossie proof wire around the vent in the ceiling the next day). We never have possums, spiders, mice or snakes (used to have night adders) in our ceiling anymore.Alternatively catch the possums in a possum trap (carrots are good bait) and relocate (and yes I have been told that they will die if relocated) or find their entry point and jam it with fine netting wire AFTER the possum has gone out feeding usually just after dusk. As the Bird Gard spokesman said, if you try their product, give it a few weeks to work. Best of luck. Glen

Noise disturbing to neighbours

2 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 20, 2018

I purchased two products. One is working ,but had a neighbour two doors away come to ask me to turn off the device as he could not sleep
with the noise it makes. Now the possum is back, eating the grape vine over my pergola. Not happy. I agree with the review on April 4 2018.

I am not sure this works for possums but the noise is very disturbing to neighbours.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 04, 2018

I had hoped the sound from this variable frequency unit would all be ultrasonic unfortunately the range is very audible and makes it quite unsuitable for a suburban operation. It is a pity this simple fact was not explained in the product specifications or I might have saved the considerable purchase price.

Good Service, Jury Still Out on Product

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 17, 2018

On the strength of 71 reviews, and most being positive, we purchased a Bird Gard Possum Deterrent.
But so far, no impact on possums. They still treat our courtyard as a Club Med for possums, and I am sure the ultrasonic sound just gives them background music to party by. So not yet a happy shopper.
To be fair, they do say Bird Gard can take up to 3 weeks to work, so we await with interest.
Interestingly, my similar review on Bird Gard's website does not seem to have been published.

• 3 answers
  • 6 helpful votes

Great service and product

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 17, 2017

Darren from Bird Gard was very prompt and went above and beyond to help us with an operational issue (not a fault) we had with our possum deterrent device, all sorted now. We are pleased with the outcome and the device appears to be protecting the area we needed it to. We are glad we went down this track.

Effective possum deterent

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 31, 2017

Works well to deter possums from our garden and our neighbors garden. It keeps them off the roof as well.
We now have beautiful roses and veggies that remain untouched.

• 3 helpful votes
Private message

Great help in making possums' life difficult

4 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 27, 2017

I moved to a new house 3 months ago. It is a large house. From the first night, we had possums disturbing our sleep at night: in the garden, fighting and hissing but mostly on the roof, landing loudly and running around. After investigating at night with a torch, it appeared that the main point of entry onto the roof was the power supply line. I should add these are mainly ringtail possums.
I purchased a Possum Deterrent which I positioned at the point the power line reaches our roof… and waited for about 3 weeks, as recommended, before drawing any conclusion. The settings I use: night activation and constant mode.
The effect was not 100% but was very significant indeed: possums still come on our roof but not every night and they do not linger. We can’t hear them calling or fighting, just landing on the roof and passing rather quickly. We also noticed a huge reduction in the amount of droppings left around the house, on the decks and paths.
Because my house is large and because I suspect they are other entry points (tree branches overhanging), I have decided to buy a second Possum Deterrent unit which I will position directly at the branches overhanging the roof. And of course, I have also pruned these branches but possums can jump quite far. I saw one jump about two meters from the roof onto a nearby tree.
In fact, I had the opportunity to witness and interesting behaviour: one evening, I saw a female followed by her joey approaching the house on the power line. The device was already working as it was dark and I could see the red light on. She made her way to the house and stopped about 10 m from the roof, clearly not comfortable in progressing any further.
What happened next amazed me. One of the features of the Possum Deterrent is to stop emitting ultrasounds, from time to time, for a short period. I understand this is done so that animals do not get used to it being on all the time. The moment the device turned off, the female ran and jumped on my roof. Her baby was a bit slow and when it realised its mum had gone, the device was on again. It clearly wanted to follow its mother but after a few steps, it backed up, clearly not comfortable to approach the roof closer. It eventually left.
This, to me, is clear indication that the device works, even on a determined possum which wants to be reunited with its mother. It also shows that these animals are more clever and adaptable than I suspected as I think this mother has learnt that the device stops from time to time and took advantage of it! I observed this behaviour about 6 weeks after I had installed the device.
After discussing with Darren Stutchbury at Bird Gard, we thought one way to get around this may be to switch the device onto motion sensor mode, which l have not done yet.
So, do not underestimate possums: despite their looks, they are intelligent, they are adaptable and they can jump long distances.
All I can do is not make it easy for them. And I believe the Possum Deterrent has helped me done just that. This is why I have purchased a second one and can’t wait to see what effect it will have.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Really brilliantly effective product

5 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 27, 2017

This really works! Super effective at deterring possums and other similar critters. Even our neighbours are grateful!

The guys at Bird Gard are also super helpful and friendly in advising what is needed and helping ensure the setup is just right.

I did have a problem that after about 2 years the power adaptor died, but that's not really their fault, and easily replaced.

Would definitely recommend.

• 1 comment

Doesn't deter ringtail possums

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 21, 2017

Placed this device on a fence to deter possums from walking across it. All settings are correct. Used for 2 months and it didn't stop them. They simply walked up to the device when it was on, climbed over it and continued across the fence. Contacted company - no solution provided.

4 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bird Gard Official

Hello Jillian The last time we spoke you told me that you didn’t know what direction your possums came from because you hadn’t actually seen them walk along your fence and climb over the device. Wh... read more »

Hi Darren

That is incorrect. My email to you said I had seen them walk on the fence when the device was on. I never received a response from you nor any of the advice you have put in you comment.

Verified Purchase

Ineffective device - does not work

1 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 11, 2017

I purchased a possum deterrent in late November 2016. The purpose was to deter the possums from eating my weeping rose, which is being decimated my some very hungry possums.
I followed the instruction to the letter, but to no avail. The deterrent has been set on for possums and on maximun sensor sensitivity and is set on constant.
After using the possum deterrent for 3 months, I have come to the comclusion that it is totally ineffective.
It should also be noted that I emailed the company on 16/3/2016 and attached photos of the devise and it location or proximity to the weeping rose but I'm yet to receive a response from them.
I have received some comments from the neighbour's teenage children who say they can hear it when it is activated...they must have exceptional hearing as I can't!
Overall, not happy at all.

Private message

Great product and great service

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 16, 2017

We purchased one Possum deterrent and it worked so well after just a few months we bought another one. Unfortunately after 8 months the first one stopped working, we could tell because our Magnolia tree was decimated pretty quickly. We emailed Darren at Bird Gard and within 30 minutes he called us and advised how to work out the problem. It was the adaptor, and he immediately organized for another to be sent to us. I would have no hesitation in recommending this product. The fact that the tree was eaten so quickly when the adaptor failed show how great this product is. Thanks for your great service Darren and Bird Gard.

Comments
Bird Gard Official

Hello Rene Good to hear from you again, it is personally pleasing to protect magnolias. It was magnolias featured in our first possum deterrent review. And thanks for your informative review. I'l... read more »

Sunshine Coast

Private message

The veggies are mine again!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 15, 2017

As much as I love them I was sooo over the possums. They had been totally destroying my veggie patch. I didn’t mind sharing some of the garden with them but things were getting out of hand. I found the Ultrasonic Possum Deterrent online and have been using it now for 3 months. It is doing a great job keeping the little critters off my newly planted seedlings, my awesome herb garden and the veggie garden is starting to look happy again. It did take a couple of weeks before they went away but Bird Gard did mention this to me. Thank you for your great service and assistance when I needed it, and thank you so much for helping me save my veggies.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bird Gard Official

Hello Thankyou for doing a review, it is pleasing to hear back from people. I hope the possums are still staying away from from your veggie garden. I wonder if you could tell us what sort of pos... read more »

Newport

highly regarded

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 08, 2017

Had nothing but good results....worth every cent.. the money is long forgotten .. After sales service is personal and prompt...efficacious. Darren and the team get the job done. Many thanks.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bird Gard Official

Hello Les

Thanks for your review, if we can help you in any other way, dont hesitate to let me know

Thanks again

Regards Darren

• 5 helpful votes

What a croc.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 09, 2017

This is not worth buying we bought the most expensive unit it made a terrible irritating sound we were desperate to send the beautiful little critters elsewhere very disappointing to have spent this amount of money on a yet another myth that is marketed?
Regards annoyed

5 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

vegetables at last!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 31, 2017

After not being able to grow vegetables for a few seasons without the possums enjoying them before we did -we bought one of your Bird Gard Possum deterrents - amazing! we now have tomatoes - carrots - herbs and are looking forward to planting a lot more. We are very pleased and have just invested in 2 more. Happy customer from Victoria

Possum troubles

5 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 25, 2017

I have a large garden in Sydney and possums are causing damage and digging up my plants. I also have large macadamia nut tree and this attracts water rats from the harbourside park, visit annually when the nuts ripen. I tried possum traps, tree guards, spikes and rat baits to incomplete results.
I had heard of Sonar instruments as a deterrent and as a scientist I investigated the various instruments and research available and the good and bad comments. Therefore I purchased with some scepticism. In the first 3 weeks, to my amazement possums were deterred on the area I focused on in the front garden. We then moved to the back garden and again found success by not finding further nuts being eaten.
Although it involves a financial outlay I am considering a second unit to keep each permanently guarding the danger areas. I urge users to consider it like a torch beam and focus on the point of entry and attack you identify by possum and rat evidence – I set for nights only. Congratulations to the makers.
Adrian Dunn Eastern Suburbs, Sydney, Australia.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Bird Gard Official

Hello Adrian Thankyou for your thoughful review, much appreciated. I wonder if you would add to the public knowledge by letting us know (if known) what species of possum you had, was it the larger... read more »

Money well spent!!

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 08, 2016

Our problem was possums using the fence as a thoroughfare to their feeding grounds sending our dogs into a tailspin and keeping us (and the neighbours awake). So after trying pretty much every remedy shown on the internet, I have purchased a possum deterrent earlier this year which did exactly what it is meant to do, it keeps them away. I now have 3 devices providing good coverage for our garden. Sure it it’s a bit of money, but you can’t put a price on a good night sleep. Money well spent!!

Possums gone

5 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 04, 2016

My first bird gard possum deterrent was for a children's centre. Every morning possum droppings were all over the yard. The second one was to protect an avocado tree that was being stripped of leaves and fruit. Put a friend onto the possum deterrent as his lemon tree was being destroyed by possums. With a bit of trial and error and ensure the machine is on the right setting and right position, possums are gone.

Should have bought earlier

3 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 17, 2016

Didn't work in the roof space (big roof). Put outside where the possum gained entry, slows the possum which has given me enough time to try and scare it but it still comes in the roof. Unfortunately the possum has been in the roof for at least 12 months so I can't expect miracles (we have nice wool insulation - I wouldn't leave either).

1 of 4 pages

Will these devices annoy my dogs?

Bernadette V asked on Jul 11, 2018

Answer this

I don't believe so. This one didn't annoy our kids dogs at all, but then again it didn't deter possums. Best to ask the seller tho.

Hi Bernadette,
I believe your dogs will not be annoyed by the Possum Deterrent. The frequency used to repel Possums is different to the frequency used to repel dogs.

Just about had enough !!!! We like most people on this forum have a Possum problem, and the Possums use one side of the house as a highway fortunatly they are not able to get into our roof cavity but I'm sure they have tried.... Are the units waterproof? as I would like to place a unit at the top of our roof in the path of the pesky Possums, They generally come from one direction to cross our roof one unit will paced strategically high and in the path of the animal or will I require two units to stop access from both sides... My next mission if this does not work will be to coat one side of the roof (possum highway side) with the hottest chilli powder in the world..

Paul Phillips asked on May 21, 2018

Hello Paul
The possum deterrent can be used outdoors in the rain, but the 240 adapter is not weatherproof and does need to be installed undercover. NOTE the optional 10 and 20 metre extension cords we have, they are thin like speaker cable and 9v so you cant electrocute yourself. The extension cords are very handy if you have to install on a roof. How many devices you will need I can only guess with the info available. If the possum always came from one direction then the odds are higher that one device will be sufficient. Possums will use trees, powerlines, sheds etc to get onto a roof, any idea of how your possums get onto your roof ?
Every customers house is different and could have one or more possum entry points to a roof. Sometimes all but sometimes only one entry point will need to be defended. Lets say you have a tree that the possums use to jump onto your roof. You yourself might not know that but you might hear the thump or crash on your roof so you will know that area needs to be defended. The possum deterrent would be best installed in that location and pointing at the tree.
Some people just wont know exactly what the possums are doing so they will do just what you have suggested in your question. It is always worth trying to solve the problem with one device and see how you go, and if one device is enough you wont need a second unit. You can send us a private message with your house address so we can see it on google earth and get possums perspective of your roof top.
Regards Bird Gard

What are the best settings for brushtail possums which are nocturnal?

geoff asked on May 21, 2018

Hi Geoff

If repelling possums outdoors use night mode, constant mode and point the ultrasonic dial to the low frequencies

Regards Bird Gard