Horrendous!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 18, 2017

Book ordered 22nd May 2017, delivered 17 July 2017 - 8 weeks when website site said "Ships 15 business days". Contacted via online messaging only to receive inadequate explanation and no real solution. Unacceptable delay and so will NEVER use again.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Dan,

I'm sorry to hear about this. I'd like to look into this further and see what went wrong. Could I have your order number please?

Jessica

No delivery, Phone Not Answered.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 18, 2017

Why do I have to give them any star? They don't deserve it. Have waited more than six weeks, the local book shop is now stocking this book, but Booktopia can't seem to supply, even though they say it would be in stock 20th June (now 17th July). Waited on the phone for 40 minutes, just a plaintive "we are busy" - no attempt on their part to notify us about a delay.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Ron, As per our previous discussion, a $30 store credit will be issued to your Booktopia account to use towards a future purchase. You'll receive an email as soon as this has been completed. ... read more »

• 1 review
  • 1 comment

Awful Awful Awful experience

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 17, 2017

Purchased book online on 4/7/17 and was advised on the website that the book was in stock. Waited 10 days and when I hadn't heard anything nor received the book, so I sent an online message. No reply. Phone line tells me that they are busy and to try again....and still no book. Won't be using this company again. Ever.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi there,

I'm so sorry for the trouble you've had getting in touch with us. If I could grab your order number, I'll take a look into it for you and provide an update.

Jessica

5872648 - I would like a full refund please.

Hi again,

Thanks for that. I've cancelled the order and sent you a direct message via your Booktopia account about this.

• 1 question
  • 11 helpful votes
Private message

Terrible service and terrible followup and still no book!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 15, 2017

I have an order for a book that I placed on 14th June 2017 - Firstly the order went through as I have the confirmed receipt of the order .
Then apparently there was some issue with payment of which Booktopia rather than sending me an email to specifically say this, had the unrealistic expectation that I would somehow KNOW there was an issue, and that there was a message for me on the Booktopia page under my orders BUT only if I logged into to see the progress of my order!
This I eventually did when the book was NOT forthcoming.
I then did c
hat with a very pleasant girl, in order to find out where was the book and why there an issue with the order in the first place and was told that this was now sorted and the book would be on its way.
THEN NOTHING - NO BOOK, NO MESSAGE, NOTHING!
So I then tried to ring and after 30 minutes of waiting and being on hold, I gave up!
So then I send another message and I get an answer to say that this book is NOT IN STOCK!

How can Booktopia advertise a book, have a customer pay and then chase a payment that somehow apparently does not go through at their end in the first instance and then decide after they rectify the payment issue and get their money, that this advertised item is not in stock?
THIS IS UNPROFESSIONAL, not to mention false advertising and taking payment for an item that at the Sell point does not even exist?
Its now a month since I first ordered and paid for this book and still NO BOOK - I am waiting on this book to do research and yet Booktopia is not concerned in the least and will just say - you can ask for a refund!

What a gigantic waste of my time, not to mention the stress associated with all the followup with Booktopia i.e sending messages, doing chat, holding on the phone for 30 minutes to no avail.

I would very much recommend that if you wish to deal with Booktopia that you check with Booktopia first to see if they actually do in fact have the book in stock irrespective of whether they are advertising it, and do this before you pay for it and be prepared to wait on the phone if you call, for more than 30 minutes before you actually speak with anyone.
And then hope that what they tell you is correct - better still, I would probably pay a little more to buy elsewhere if you can see the book advertised somewhere else and you have dealt with another company before without issue.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Magpie, I'm very sorry you've had a poor experience with us. All messages sent via our Message Centre trigger an email and so I'm sorry to hear the email was missed or never reached you. When ... read more »

Melbourne

Verified Purchase

Never again - poor customer service, bad system

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 13, 2017

Book purchased for business purposes on 30 May. Stated it was in stock. Still not arrived so called to check up as now in need asap. Was on hold for 20 minutes so hung up. Sent message once logged into account. Still no reply 24 hours later. Tried the "live message" service on website. It is currently unavailable. Tried to call again the following day. Again on hold for ages so hung up. Checked status when in account. Now says book unavailable as out of stock, expected date for more product 4 June. It is now 12 July and still no reply, book or service. Extremely disappointed, if you need something by a certain date or need to speak with someone don't purchase via Booktopia.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Ollie, I'm very sorry that the item has not yet arrived to you and particularly for the trouble you've had getting in touch with us. If I could have your order number, I'll look into the situat... read more »

Hi Jessica. I finally managed to get hold of someone via the 'live message' after trying on a number of occasions. They cancelled order and I will now purchase elsewhere. Overall still very disappo... read more »

Booktopia Official

HI Ollie, I completely agree, I'm so sorry for the trouble you experienced. We've been having our busiest month since Christmas (and our busiest July since 2015!) and so we have some new staff tha... read more »

Sydney

Dissapointed

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 13, 2017

Was after a specific book for part of a Birthday present and chose to buy from Booktopia being an Australian business. When I purchased the book it was listed as 'In Stock' however now, nearly two weeks later when checking on the status of my order I have a message stating it was actually out of stock and there will be more arriving in the next couple of weeks. Extremely frustrated to say the least, particularly when I could have purchased and received the book from the US by now. My nephew's birthday is on Saturday and I will now either need t o explain to him his present is "between 7 and 16 days" away or go out and purchase something else.

I have tried all week to get through on the phone. On Monday I was on hold for 45 minutes before my baby woke so I had to hang up, yesterday the message stated there was an influx of calls so I couldn't be transferred to customer service and today the number wont even connect!

Not what I expected my first product review to be however people need to be aware that 'In Stock' doesn't always mean In Stock!

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi ELC, I'm terribly sorry to hear about this. The website definitely shouldn't have advised the book was in-stock if we later processed it with a longer time frame. If I could have your order nu... read more »

Hi Jessica,

I actually sat on hold until speaking with someone on Thursday and requested a refund as I purchased another gift in time for Saturday.

Thanks for the offer of assistance.

A bunch of Lies!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 13, 2017

I needed specific books to send overseas as a gift and trusted Booktopia as they claimed fast deliver, just what i needed (bad choice)! Thanks for dissapointing yet again. You suck us in by claiming you have fast delivery yet fail to tell us that the books are in fact out of stock. Not good enough. And dont bother trying to call them, you'll be waiting a loooong time (I tang twice - First time i got cut off after 30mins, Second time over and hour) Just a joke of a website. And yes, I want a refund!

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Zeyz, While we will always keep the more popular books in stock, other items do not require enough demand to stay in stock in our warehouse. Stocked items will be clearly listed with a green "I... read more »

No need, its been sorted.

• 1 review
  • 2 comments

POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 13, 2017

Ordered a book on line and paid on 20 June. Website advises that item is out of stock and that new supplies expected 30 June. It is now 13 July and no further update. The book i want is on the shelf at a city bookseller. Tried to cancel order but unable to do so on line. Tried to phone the 1800 number - gave up after 30 minutes on hold (twice). No reply to a message i sent on 10 July seeking an update on delivery.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Paul, I'm really sorry to hear about the issues you've experienced with this order. I would like to look into it and see why the book has not yet shipped and respond to your email. Could I ha... read more »

Hi Jessica My Order number is 5823069. I received a message this morning from Booktopia that the book i ordered can't be provided so the order has been cancelled. The book is called The Man Who Kne... read more »

Booktopia Official

Hi Paul, Thanks for that! Yes, I can see that the refund failed. I've sent you a direct message through your Booktopia account so we can arrange the refund in a different format. I'm very sorry ... read more »

Verified Purchase

Impossible to reach customer service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 08, 2017

On 21 June I purchased a product which was listed as being in stock - but in fact it was out of stock. Logged into my account and saw that more stock was due on 03 July. I haven't received anything yet. I send 2 messages to customer service: no reply. I tried to call 3 times: impossible to talk to anyone - after 20 minutes on the phone listening to the same message.... Very disappointed by this company - I am not ready to purchase anything more from them. In the meantime, I would like someone to reply to my messages and let me know when I can expect to receive my purchase!!

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear about this and that you had some trouble getting through to us. If I could grab your order number, I would like to take a look into it and see what the current stock situation is.

No Book No reply

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 08, 2017

Ordered my book on 15/6/17 still have not received it,they will not answer their phone or reply to my email no not happy.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Paddy,

I'm sorry to hear about this! If I could get your order number I would be happy to look further into it and see where your order is up to.

5808723 order number

Booktopia Official

Hi Paddy, Thanks for that. It looks like you have since spoken with my colleague Mark over the phone. The book you've purchased has gone out of stock with suppliers due to it's sudden high demand... read more »

Ebook format is a lie

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 26, 2017

You want to buy an Ebook, you find Booktopia. It says the format is Epub...seems legit, you know this format works on your device. You purchase the Ebook and download it, only to find the format is something else, unreadable by your E-reader. Upon reading the fine print, it says you need to download some other program just to read the book...suddenly it's all much more complicated than it seems. I think advertising the format as Epub is false advertising!

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi JTB, All of our eBooks are provided in the format that they're listed with on the website however they've provided in an ACSM file. ACSM stands for Adobe Content Server Manager and it is the fi... read more »

nio

Dirty Suede Covered Book

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 22, 2017

This was ordered with another book for a gift, the book is covered in pale pink suede type fabric and was not wrapped and was very scuffed and dirty not ideal for gift giving.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Elizabeth, I'm very sorry to hear the item arrived dirty! I would like to replace the item for you and I'll be sure to check it before it's sent to ensure it's not in the same condition. I just... read more »

thank you for your prompt service it is much appreciated my order number was 5805380

Booktopia Official

Hi Elizabeth, Thanks for that! I'll sort out the replacement for you and have it checked before it's sent. You will receive a Shipping Notification email once the parcel has been dispatched from o... read more »

1 of 24 pages

Hello, I ordered a text book on 07Jul17 which was immediately debited from my paypal account. Currently the status is pending with the book out of stock and more stock is expected on 11Jul17. It is now the 20Jul17 and there is no new update. I have attempted to contact booktopia regarding my order #5883708 via both the website message system and phone. My messages have gone unanswered and the wait time on the phone appears to be extremely long no matter what time of day I call. Any update would be greatly appreciated, if unable to stock please contact me in order to arrange refund asap! Regards, Tara

Tara asked on Jul 20, 2017

Dear Booktopia, I ordered a textbook on the 16th July which I need in time before uni commences. At the time of order it was in stock but I received an update on 18th July reading thete is "Currently no stock. Expecting more on 31-Jul-17". Does this mean booktopia will definitely have the book by the 31st? When can I expect to receive the textbook? If the issue continues will I be notified and given refund as I will have to look at buying the book elsewhere! My order number is 5914092. Thanks, Rachael

LisaBrinks asked on Jul 19, 2017

My order # 5802284 was paid for and purchased from your advertised stock in early June - I did not receive this book and only when I logged in to find out where the book was, did I even know there was an issue. Then I did chat, and was told there was no longer an issue, the book would be on its way. The book did not arrive, I tried to call - waiting in excess of 30 minutes & gave up, then I messaged and was told the Book was out of stock - Very UNPROFESSIONAL to sell a book that does not exist in the first place - So where is my book - you have my payment?

Magpie asked on Jul 15, 2017

Answer this

Hi Magpie,

I've checked your order and can see you've since spoken to my colleague Jenny. She's organised for a full refund to be issued to your credit card and along with this a $15 store credit will be issued to your account to use towards a future order with us.

We're sorry for the delay you experienced with this order. Your next order will be much smoother and if we can ever assist please do not hesitate to get in touch.