• 5 comments
  • 7 helpful votes

Extremely unreliable

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 13, 2018

Shipping commitments are meaningless and customer service is laissez-faire. Now have to chase my refund.
Will never purchase from this seller again.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Chri53,

Let me look into it for you, could I grab your order number please?

Lara

The crystal code

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 12, 2018

Received these today..two books, the same condition.Dog earred..all dirty. Really wish i could upload a photo. Has happened before in the past but have let it go. These are presents though. Won't buy from Booktopia again and customer service is pathetic. Been on hold oner half an hour now.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Bell,

I'm so sorry to hear your items arrived in this condition! Let me sort out replacements for you, could I have your order number please?

8192651

Booktopia Official

Hi Bell, I can see my colleague Keira has already organised some replacements for you, we're just waiting on these copies to be brought into Customer Service so we can personally check them and en... read more »

I have bought 2 books from this company, the books never arrived

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 11, 2018

I bought a bookin 2017 from these people, now Dec 2018.
I bought a book previously in 2015.
Neither of the books arrived.
When I contacted customer service, you get no service.
Apparently in their small print you have to contact Booktopia within 6 weeks, of the purchase date.
By which time you have all but given up the book receval and completely forgotten about it.
Booktopia are money grabbers and have no respect for their clients.
Shouldn't they make a follow up email to ask how the book is and if you are happy with their service.
Booktopia will go the way of all book stores, to oblivion with this type od after sales service.
I lost over $150 on the books.
Enjoy my money Booktopia, last you get.
I will use Amazon your service is appalling.
Dragon8888.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Dragon8888, I'm sorry you didn't received your order placed in 2017. It's a little unusual to chase up an order placed 18 months ago, and we do provide a tracking number at the time an order is... read more »

• 3 comments
  • 5 helpful votes

Can't recommend

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 11, 2018

Something seems to have gone wrong at Booktopia. Have ordered before with no problems. This time ordered 12 items, 10 of which were in stock and available with "shipped in 1-3 days" label on their site. 16 days later no items have been delivered and I've received a shipping notice for only 3 of the items with an expected delivery in 3 more days.

No answer to either of my emails. 40 min wait on phone to speak to customer service, who were pleasant and gave assurances and offer of free express post, but that was 4 days ago and I still have had no more shipping notifications.

I ordered 3 weeks in advance of when I needed some the items, I'm worried that I'm not going to have any of them in time. If you are relying on the advertised shipping and delivery times I would buy elsewhere.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi there,

I'm really sorry to hear this order hasn't been shipped on time. Let me look into it for you, could I have your order number please?

Jessica

Thanks for your reply. I wrote this a couple of days ago. Fortunately there has been an update since then. After another call to customer service, the staff member acknowledged there was a problem ... read more »

Booktopia Official

Hi FeijoaGreen, It definitely sounds like something didn't go quite right, I'm really sorry for the wait you experienced. I am very glad to hear it was resolved, thanks for bringing it to our atte... read more »

Belmore SOUTH - Sydney

• 3 comments
  • 28 helpful votes
Private message

Get ready for a constant flood of UNSOLICITED pop-ups! Infuriating!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 03, 2018

Very annoying how Booktopia continually hounds you with unsolicited pop-ups clogging every single website you open! This infuriates me. I have politely requested that they desist from this annoying, slimy practice.....but they continue to hound me.

I prefer Book Depository, who are less likely to hound you incessantly like a starving dog chasing a bone.

Brisbane

Private message

Zero contact with customers when something goes wrong

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 23, 2018

Very disappointed that paying $15 for next day delivery doesn't actually work despite my address being listed as a next day delivery area. The book was a gift for a friend going away, hence the need for its arrival the next day. So now I am left with the book I was unable to give as a gift. Even more disappointing is the lack of response from booktopia to any of my three enquiries over the last week about the situation or a refund on my shipping amount (which was the same as the cost of the actual book).

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi EJH,

I'm terribly sorry to hear this. Let me look into this, what was your order number?

Terrible

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 19, 2018

Your website is the most frustrating that I have had the displeasure to deal with. Won't recognise me. Had the same problem last time I used it. Now the same password, won't accept it. Is this the best you can do???

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Gazza,

Let me see if I can resolve this for you, do you have previous order number I can search to find your account details?

Jessica

Last order number was 8000717. No account number on the invoice. I was forced to try a new password, but then it wouldn't let me use my email address as you said it was already being used. YES BY ME. gOOD LUCK.

Hi Gazza,

I've sent you an email with some details on how you can sign into your account.

• 2 comments

An absolute JOKE

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 14, 2018

I ordered a book 6 weeks ago with standard delivery of 7-10 days. It’s now been 6 weeks and my book still has not arrived!
It took me to reach out to them to did out the book is not in stock

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Laura,

I'm very sorry to hear this. I'd like to look into it further to see what happened, could I grab your order number please?

Jessica

Hi Jessica, it’s a bit late now
I would like my full refund by eod Friday (tomorrow)
It’s Been 6 weeks!

Hi Laura,

I will most definitely check on the refund for you, I just need to grab your order number.

Brisbane

My order

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 08, 2018

Some years ago I was a customer of Booktopia until I was fed up with their then lousy customer service. Some days ago I decided to give them another go, hoping their service today may be as reliable as Amazon, Amazon.de or Book Depository. No, it isn't. I ordered a book from their website only to get an email telling me they "run out" again, expecting a new delivery on 07-11-18 (ordered 31-10-18). Today is 08-11-18 and I still haven't heard from them.Of course, no offer to reimburse the money paid. Some months ago I ordered a camera lens in Hongkong. They also had run out but they gave me the choice: do you want to cancel the order or do you want to wait. I choose to wait and 3 days later they send the lens. As for this order, I'd rather cancel the order and buy from Book Depository.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Gerd,

Let me look into this for you, could I grab your order number please?

Jessica

On the 09-11-18 I received the email telling me that my order was posted.

Buyer beware

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 07, 2018

Took my money, then got an email stating my order was out of stock.

Just another business finding ways to rort us.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Aido,

Let me look into this for you. Could I grab your order number please?

• 7 comments
  • 3 questions
  • 2 answers
  • 41 helpful votes

Buying E books from Booktopia

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 06, 2018

I wanted a book an electronic copy it didnt have a lot of information ? now you have to download and adobe reader etc i asked for a refund and explained by circumstances but couldn't get a refund "Dont buy any e books from this company"

Guildford

Camel train

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 22, 2018

Paid for on the 13/10, still waiting on the 22/10.
For a book in stock it is not possible to be this slow.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Rob,

Sorry to hear. Let me check this for you, could I grab your order number please?

No delivery

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 14, 2018

My books were not delivered to the delivery address. There was no card to say a delivery was attempted and my staff are here from 7am Monday - Friday.
I found the books at Post Office some 20 kilometres from the delivery address.
StarTrack lie about their attempts to deliver to this address.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Val,

I'm really sorry to hear this. I'd like to look into this further to see what went wrong, could I grab your order number please?

Jessica

Hello Jessica, Please accept my apology as I mistook this order for another. I received the books in good time and were delivered to the correct address.

Hi Val,

No worries, I'm glad to hear everything went okay. Be sure to get in touch if we can ever assist with an order. :)

Disappointed

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 04, 2018

I ordered through Booktopia as the delivery was supposed to be the next business day and I was going on holidays and wanted to take the books with me. Unfortunately after ordering I was informed on the day they were due arrive that the books were delayed and there was no indication given of when they would arrive. As a result I didn't receive them before I left and they sat on my doorstep until I got home. Next time I will go to a bookstore and buy over the counter.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Sue,

I'm sorry to hear this! Let me look into it further, could I could grab your order number please?

Melbourne

• 3 helpful votes
Private message

You couldn't manage to email?

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 25, 2018

Ordered a book online, got the PayPal confirmation and order confirmation from Booktopia. I was very busy at the time and so forgot about it for a couple of weeks. Went through my emails to check I hadn't imagined placing the order because nothing had arrived. No further correspondence from Booktopia as to the status of my order. Logged in online and looked at my account to see that the order had been cancelled at their end because the book was out of stock.

Here's my thoughts:
1. If it's out of stock, why do you have it for sale online?
2. You don't have the courtesy to email to advise your customers when you cancel an order?

Well if you can't be bothered with an email, neither can I and I decided to publicly voice my thoughts rather than contacting Booktopia direct. I won't be bothering with this company again. How incredibly arrogant and rude.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Mellen,

Sorry to hear. I'd like to look into this further, could I grab your order number please?

Sydney

• 3 helpful votes

Absolutely Hopeless

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 17, 2018

After my first time ordering with Booktopia, I will never again make the same mistake. I ordered 26 August not realising that there is actually a 7-10 day lead time as the stock is ordered direct from the supplier. This was my own fault as I did not read this before ordering, but was happy to wait. Today on the 14 September I decided to contact Booktopia as it was past the 7-10 days and I had not received any further updates on the order. I was informed that there had been a glitch and the stock was never ordered from the supplier and I would have to wait another 7-10 days before it could even be shipped. I do not understand how this happens and why I was not informed until I contacted support nearly three weeks after ordering. Overall my experience with this website has been incredibly disappointing. I will not be returning and would encourage others to also avoid.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Dana,

I'm really sorry to hear this. I'd like to look into this further, could I have your order number please?

Jessica

Hi Jessica, As mentioned in the review, I have already cancelled the order as I am not willing to wait another 7-10 business days on top of the 3 weeks I have already waited. Could you please ex... read more »

Refund

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 17, 2018

Terrible experience! I found my order was wrong when I received the parcel and returned the book, I contacted the customer care to order the correct book and they informed me that the book I wanted to purchase is not available in store. Not eligible for a refund even if the book is not available. I was forced to order from another site.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Ebin,

Sorry to hear. Let me look into this further, could I have your order number please?

Sydney

Terrible on Both Orders, will go elsewhere

1 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 11, 2018

Given so many positive reviews I decided to support a local Australian business, what a mistake!

First order, got the usual notification email, then went back in the next day to check - order was suspended as they couldn't process my credit card, which works everywhere else! Had to contact them myself to find out what happened, they couldn't tell me, forced to pay with Bpay which delayed the order again. They are very very slow to respond to order enquiries.

Second order, chose in-stock items so I could pay extra for express next day delivery. Heard nothing from them for 3 days, emailed them with no response for another 2 days. Seems like they decided to send the package on the fifth day with a follow up email apologising, but no reason for being late 5 days late. Wanted the books quickly but have to settle for a 7 day delay for in stock items. Not good enough.

Lastly, their website forces customers enter solve CAPTCHA puzzles whenever you login and whenever you send an enquiry form whilst logged in, which is very annoying. Why would they force you to solve CAPTCHA puzzles when already logged in, which makes contacting them very difficult. I had to solve 8 puzzles just to send a message to them, totally uncool.

I will now be trying a competitor, sadly wondering how so many positive glowing reviews for booktopia could result in two horrible experiences for me.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Simon, Sorry to hear about this. I'd like to look into this further, could I grab your most recent order number? Regarding the Captcha, we're looking into making some changes to this. Thanks f... read more »

adelaide

• 2 helpful votes

Bad communication

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 26, 2018

Disappointed in the lack of communication.
Ordered a book told that it was not in stock and could take a while. Which I was happy to wait.
I enquired about the book 2 months later and the only response I got was a refund notification.
No other information.
Had to call twice and send three emails to actually find out what happened.

And now the last book for my order which was a preorder. Is also having supply issues. And again the only way I found out was by having to contact Booktopia.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Steph,

I'm really sorry to hear this! I'd like to look into this further, could I grab your order number please?

Booktopia Official

Hi Steph, I can see that at the time you made your order one title was out of stock with suppliers but could be placed on backorder. When you contacted us we found that the book was now out of pri... read more »

Private message

Do not waste your time with this business!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 16, 2018

I tried to purchase a gift voucher today. Firstly two emails were not answered. Finally I had to phone to get an answer to my question. Twice I tried to purchase a gift voucher for someone's birthday today. The orders seemed to work and emails were sent by Booktopia but no gift certificates were emailed. Then I phoned and was told that the order could not be validated but the staff member could not give me a reason and no further email to explain was sent. At the end of the day I had sent various emails, chatted online and made 2 phone calls. AND ENDED WITH NOTHING! It then took me about 3 minutes to successfully buy from a competitor. Others will be informed of my experience via consumer advice avenues.

1 of 22 pages