Do not waste your time with this business!!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 16, 2018

I tried to purchase a gift voucher today. Firstly two emails were not answered. Finally I had to phone to get an answer to my question. Twice I tried to purchase a gift voucher for someone's birthday today. The orders seemed to work and emails were sent by Booktopia but no gift certificates were emailed. Then I phoned and was told that the order could not be validated but the staff member could not give me a reason and no further email to explain was sent. At the end of the day I had sent various emails, chatted online and made 2 phone calls. AND ENDED WITH NOTHING! It then took me about 3 minutes to successfully buy from a competitor. Others will be informed of my experience via consumer advice avenues.

Terrible service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 15, 2018

Didn’t deliver book after 12 days of waiting. Only when I contacted them did they send it. I was completely forgotten about.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Peter,

Sorry to hear this! Let me look into this further, could I grab your order number please?

Not helpful at all!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 15, 2018

I had thought I was buying a dvd and so ordered it. I then realized I had actually ordered the book by mistake! I emailed and messaged straight away to cancel. I then got a reply 10 hours after saying it had already been posted! This couldn’t have been true as I emailed to cancel within 24 hours and before the opening hours. I also didn’t receive a confirmation of it being sent until 4 hours after saying it was too late to cancel. The website says I have 24 hours.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Kez, Sorry we weren't able to get to your message sooner. Customer Service does not operate the same hours as our Distribution Centre, which has three different shifts running throughout the da... read more »

south yarra

Verified Customer

Tried downloading eBook purchase. Does not work and they refuse to refund me

1 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 11, 2018

Followed all the steps to download Adobe digital editions to start reading my ebook and it did not work. Chatted to help for an HOUR and still got the same error messages. I was, naturally, over it so I asked for a refund. They've now sent me 4 emails with the exact same instructions and refuse to refund me. But they keep "updating" the link to the book. So frustrating! Waste of money

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Nat,

I'm really sorry to hear this. I'd like to look into this and see how we handled your query. Could I have your order number please?

Hi Nat,

Sorry for the frustration caused. I've sent you a direct message to resolve this issue.

Terrible

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 29, 2018

Hello Booktopia,
It has been a week now and my DVD has not arrived I got a message to expected in another two days.
Kind regards
Vivienne

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Vivienne,

Sorry to hear that! Let me look into it for you, could I have your order number please?

• 2 comments

Verified Customer

Long shipping time and incorrect product shipped

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 28, 2018

Will never order from booktopia again - firstly was not notified that my payment did not go through and therefore my order was on 'hiatus', I had to check my booktopia account and follow up myself.
Secondly, the shipping date provided on the website and in my first confirmation stated 7-10 days, however I received a second email stating that they would be actually be 10-14 days.
Thirdly, I just received my package and one of the book covers is incorrect - I was sent a copy with a book cover that was cheaper in price and definitely not what I ordered from their website.
I ordered 7 books worth $180 in total - I thought it'd be an easy transaction because of all the good reviews, but it ended up being such a waste of time and headache.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Vivian,

I'm sorry to hear about this. I'd like to look into this further, could I have your order number please?

Booktopia Official

Hi Vivian, Thanks for providing your order number. We're sorry for the hiatus, it's a process that affects a very small number of customers and it's one we're actively working to improve. We don... read more »

Melbourne

Terrible Procedures

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 27, 2018

I ordered a book using a visa giftcard.
I received an email saying my order had been processed. A month later when I hadn't received my order I returned to my email which instructed I had to log into the booktopia site if I wanted to check on status. Once I had logged in, my order was marked with a problem processing payment. I received no phone call or email to notify me of this, Booktopia just ignored my order. Terrible customer service.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Karlie, I'm sorry to hear this! Our main form of communication is email and so any time there's an issue with a payment, we will always send an email to notify you. I'm very sorry to hear you ... read more »

Happy book worm

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 20, 2018

Book arrived, as per email trail. In great condition, fast and safe. Cannot wait to get reading. Friend put me on to booktopia, because of this reason.

Very Disappointed

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 16, 2018

Purchased books 9 days ago .
In stock- ships 1-2 days???
Still waiting for delivery
Extremely Disappointed
Lost a customer.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Karin,

Sorry to hear this! Let me look into it for you, could I grab your order number please?

Jessica

I spoke to one of your consultants regarding this issue on Friday 13.. I was offered an apology.. Thank you But it did not make the books arrive on time for my granddaughters birthday.. I have pur... read more »

Tweed Heads

Human Physiology

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 14, 2018

Ordered this book, heard nothing for three weeks despite several emails to customer service. Cancelled my order today. Can’t be bothered with companies that can’t even be bothered providing a decent level of customer service. I won’t be purchasing from Booktopia again.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi there,

I'm very sorry to hear this. I'd like to look further into this to see what happened, and make it up to you if I can. Could I grab your order number please?

The order number was 7455113

Booktopia Official

Hi again, Thanks for providing your order number. I'm terribly sorry for the delay you experienced with your order - I've looked into it a little further and found that the stock came into our war... read more »

• 3 helpful votes

Verified Customer

Bad services-3 weeks passed -still NOT send the books out. NO responses from the customer services

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 13, 2018

NOT deserve even half star. zero star is what Booktopia deserves for their services to customers!!!

Order and paid successfully BUT three weeks passed by- NOT send the books out yet- NO notifications.
I asked for a refund BUT No responses. Now is coming to one month BUT I still haven't received my orders and no responses when I made inquiries.

Worse services.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Jeans,

I'm very sorry to hear this! If I could grab your I will look further into it and provide an update to you.

Stop emailing me

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 08, 2018

I purchased 1 book and have received a total of 6 emails. It should be a maximum of 2. Very annoying.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Paul, Thanks for your honest feedback - we have made some recent changes to the email notifications we're sending to our customers so I'd like to follow up on your experience. Could I grab you... read more »

• 10 comments
  • 13 answers
  • 17 helpful votes
Private message

Booktopia does not believe in independent debate and free speech

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 06, 2018

There are many history books that I've tried to find on booktopia Website that they do not stock for political reasons, it's obvious they've been warned not to stock these books, Mainly about Germany and World War II,I'm talking about mainstream books that have been available since the 1970s, but suddenly have vanished
So who has demanded booktopia not to stop these books? I cannot say but there seems to be some type of invisible hand at work, to deprive the Australian reading public The ability to buy these books from this website, of course, you can buy them without any problem on Amazon and other book online retailers.
It seems a pity because overall booktopia is a very convenient place to buy your books, and they get sent out to you very quickly through parcel post.
I just hate it when like Qantas some companies take a political stand
I think I will just stop buying my books through this site, and finder online book retailer that doesn't kowtow to threats

perth

• 2 comments
Private message

Took Over 3 weeks to arrive in the same country!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 22, 2018

The reason I ordered my book from here was because I wanted it to arrive quickly so i could use after a course i have done in Sydney. I paid for postage despite them offering "free postage" and the book was more expensive. Ordered the 31 may received 22 june. If i had have known it would take this long i would have ordered from the uk as i did previously which offered FREE postage & the book was cheaper than in Australia.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Saz,

Let me look into this further, could I have your order number please?

Hi ok
9781905367801

Hi Saz,

That's actually the ISBN (International Standard Book Number) of the book you purchased. Do you have the order number? It will be a 7 digit number and likely start with a 7.

Bassendean

Terrible service

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 20, 2018

I ordered a book in April on taxes and it would have arrived too late in June to be any use to me. It took 4 attempts to get the order cancelled. When I finally succeeded at cancelling the order I could not get my money back, instead I got a credit and needed to buy something else. Booktopia has made me an Amazon Customer for life. If Amazon can't ship they advise me and if I cancel I get a refund. I buy a lot of books, not a good way to treat customers

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Kevin,

I'd like to look into this further, could I have your order number please?

Order Number is 7275733

Booktopia Official

Hi Kevin, Many thanks for providing your order number. I've read through the contact you had with us - we understood your request to be for a store credit. Sorry we got that wrong, and that you ... read more »

Melbourne

Private message

Long long waiting for delivery!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 19, 2018

I bought 2 university text books from Booktopia, the price was the cheapest but I ended up withdrawing my Unit as I didn’t have any sourse of study to catch up with my assignments and exams, and I’m still waiting for my books. Booktopia sold the books didn’t have them in the stock. It was shown at purchase I’ll receive the books in 5-9 days it’s almost 1 months and still I haven’t got my books!!!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Ed,

I'm terribly sorry to hear this. If I could grab your order number I will look into this further.

Jessica

Hi Jessica, I was really annoyed as I trusted booktopia based on these reviews and bought my books, and I thought it should be straight forward to buy my books from one place!! I could buy them s... read more »

Sydney

Private message

Misleading and terrible customer service.

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 14, 2018

I ordered two textbooks from Booktopia at the initial time of purchasing there was no indication of a delay on either book until AFTER I paid for it. One textbook was going to be shipped in 5-9 business days and the other was arriving in their warehouse by a set date. Both dates had come and gone and I had not received any information regarding what was happening to my order until I contacted them. They informed me they were unable to give me a date as to when my textbooks would be arriving. After requesting a refund I checked the textbook listing on their website and I still indicates that the books would be arriving within 5-9 business days. Very misleading.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Brittany,

I'm terribly sorry to hear this. I'd like to investigate this further, could I have your order number please?

Hi Jessica,
My order number is 7346363

Booktopia Website Down!

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 08, 2018

Just bought an ebook on Booktopia, which I wanted to start reading straight away and their website says it is undergoing an upgrade and it temporarily unavailable. In other words...NO BOOK! Very disappointing. They should advise this in the checkout before the purchase is finalised. Not even any info to say how long it will be down.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Lennie, That definitely doesn't sound right, I'm sorry you were experiencing this issue! Are you still seeing this message? If you are, let me know what your order number is and we'll be in to... read more »

Stupid requirement for passwords and logon process to purchase a book

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 02, 2018

Many online websites have a very simple purchasing process that does not require a stupid personal password logon process. I will not purchase form business models that require this component in the purchasing process. It is entirely unnecessary, frustrating and offensive.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi there, The reason Booktopia requires an account to be created is so that we have a secure way to keep a record of your ordering history while also maintaining a way to communicate with you. Thi... read more »

Should have checked book dimensions

1 out of 5, reviewed on May 31, 2018

Very disappointed The book that I bought was only half the size of a normal paperback with very small printing. If I'd have known this I would have bought a different version.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Jan, Sorry to hear this. We do provide the dimensions of books on most product listings underneath the Product Details tab. Here you can also find the country of publication, number of pages an... read more »

1 of 21 pages