Never received my book.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 18, 2018

According to the staff at Booktopia, neither they nor their courier know what happened to my order. I never received it and was refunded my money. Don't know that I'll bother with them again.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Onyx,

This definitely doesn't sound right. If I could grab your order number I will most definitely look into this for you.

Shipping dates are inaccurate

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 14, 2018

Website stated that book would be shipped from supplier within 15 business days. Did not hear anything for a few weeks, so contacted customer service. Must give credit that they got back to me fairly quickly but stated that the supplier was experiencing a stock delay & could not even give me an estimate about when it would be available again. Looking at other reviews, this seems to be quite a common "reason" they give when shipping is not within their stated time-frame. Have requested a refund, hopefully that process goes smoothly. I only decided to use this website as they offered AfterPay, but will be going back to Book Depository after this experience.

Fast but dirty

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 12, 2018

Hi, your delivery was fast which was great.
Unfortunately all the books were very dusty and even using a lightly damp cloth not all the dirt could be removed.
I really enjoy books (including the nice covers) - and this experience made me miss book shops!

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Olivia,

I'm really sorry to hear about this! I'd like to raise this with our Operations Manager, could I grab your order number and the titles of the books that were dusty?

Thanks!

Melbourne

• 1 helpful vote

Received in poor condition

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 01, 2018

I purchased this book online because I thought Booktopia would be the best choice as it appeared reputable. Whilst the book arrived in only a few days, which I was happy with, I am extremely disappointed with the condition it came in. The front cover was dirty with grey marks all over it. The cover is a very light pink colour which made these marks very visible. No one would miss them. I presumed the book would have arrived in its original packaging (ie, sealed in plastic) but it was just the book itself, looking as though it had been thrown around. I bought this book for a present for my sister and I don’t feel I can give it to her now because of the condition it came in. Very disappointed and now have to purchase another from a different store.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Kat,

I'm very sorry to hear this! I've sent you a direct message about this, we'll sort something out for you.

Not so good....

2 out of 5, reviewed on May 16, 2018

Booktopia seems OK but let down by PBT couriers who didn't phone me in my apartment building in Wellington and sent the book back to Sydney! They said they had no phone number but they did. Also a very long wait on the phone to talk to a customer service rep to get this sorted out.
So, so far, no book and a lot of frustration and needless time on the phone :-(

Perth

• 3 comments

Not received

2 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 24, 2018

The order has not arrived, after 10 days of the order being placed (delivery to Perth, WA). The reason given was that the order system could not handle the volume of orders and the new system was causing problems with tracking through Australia Post.Told to wait another week.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Albert,

I'm really sorry about this. If I could grab your order number I'll chase this up for you.

Hello Jessica

O/N is 7172905.

Thank you for responding to my comments. I appreciate any update you can provide.

Regards, Albert

Hi Jessica

Is there any news on the order? The site still shows that it has not been picked up.

Albert

Packaging

2 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 16, 2018

The ordering and shipping process was streamlined and efficient but I was most disappointed with the excessive amount of packaging used for my order - a box 46cm long x 33cm wide x 15cm high for a boxed set of digest-size books measuring 20cm long x 13cm wide x 11cm high. This is a gross waste of resources.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi JayJay, We normally use flat cardboard sheets for our parcels that are put through a machine and sealed shut using pressure activated glue. The cardboard sheets come in a roll and have a standa... read more »

Melbourne

• 1 comment

Not follow the order

2 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 15, 2018

There were options to give the authority to the driver to leave the parcel at my place if there was nobody home. I chose it. My parcel ended up at the post office so I had to go there to pick up. I can understand that Aus Post didn’t allow the parcel to be left at my place, but then the option that your website gave was meaningless.
Also I asked for customised note when I paid wrapping fee, because it was a gift to my wife. The book was wrapped but no note was written down. My wife and I were looking for it and I felt embarrassed.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Eric,

I'm sorry to hear about this! Let me look into these issues further for you, could I have your order number?

Jessica

Hi, Thank you for your reply. My order number was 7115827. The product itself was very good, I’m happy with it and will come back to purchase more products from. My point here is that for addition... read more »

Booktopia Official

Hi Eric, Thanks for providing your order number! Regarding the parcel being taken to the post office, I've raised this with Australia Post to see if they can tell me why it went to the Post Office... read more »

• 4 helpful votes

Verified Customer

Cannot contact Booktopia by message , chat or Phone !!

2 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 22, 2018

Tried for two days on 19th and 20/3/2018 to contact Booktopia via message and phone and chat functions .No luck on any of these services . Customer service used to be prompt and helpful. Had to go to another supplier for most of my requirements as I simply could talk to anyone regarding some basic information .

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi there John, I'm sorry to hear you had some trouble getting in touch with us! Our phone availability is 9am-5pm in your time zone, which means that we'll be available for your start starting fro... read more »

Deceptive shipping times

2 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 16, 2018

We ordered Pride and Prejudice Large Print in early Feb 2018 for Mums 93rd Birthday. We bought through Booktopia as we were offered shipping in 1-2 days. As soon as order paid for we got an email saying “Oopsies sorry we’re having trouble with your order. You will get in 1-2 weeks”.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Mr Darcy,

I'd like to look into this further, could I grab your order number please?

Wouldn't use again!

2 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 13, 2018

Ill-timed response to customer inquiries. Your website states that the item will usually be shipped the same day the order if placed if it is in stock, which was not the case. Tracking info provided only after the item had been shipped and had already arrived at my house. I did not trust in the whole process and wouldn't use your service again.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Bealie,

Sorry to hear that! I'd like to look into this order a little further and see what information was being displayed, as well as how we performed. Could I grab your order number please?

Thanks!

ADELAIDE

• 3 comments
  • 6 helpful votes

Verified Customer

Does Booktopia really take Papal payments?

2 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 06, 2018

My payment to Booktopia has been approved and is sitting in Paypal waiting for Booktopia to place the order.
Booktopia automated message claims they can't contact Paypal to process my order, clearly Paypal is contactable as the first part of the process is complete. I can see the approvals in my PayPal account and have received the authorisation emails from PayPal. 'You authorised a payment of $56.40 AUD to Booktopia Pty. Ltd.(info@booktopia.com.au). Your funds will be transferred when the merchant processes your payment.'

Booktopia customer service can't understand or doesn't care that I want to order by Paypal. Their solution is not to fix their ordering problem, just change the payment method. Not happening, I need to pay with Paypal.
I am awaiting a response or solution from Paypal but also looking for somewhere else to order my books.

A quick note: I have ordered through Dymocks using my paypal account without any issue.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Mama S,

I'd like to look into this further and see what happened. Could I grab your order number please?

Brisbane

• 1 helpful vote

Verified Customer

Don’t believe stock availability or delivery times

2 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 28, 2018

Website says products in stock at time of order. Email received later says sorry not in stock. Estimate of time given for stock to arrive however a week after this date still has not arrived. Contacting Booktopia results in a I don’t know when answer. While the order was fully refund it took time. Another order for a different product has since been placed which showed was in stock but once again email received saying it’s not. Follow up complaint has not been answered.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Lisa, I'm sorry for the delay in acknowledging your review, I just wanted to look into this a little further before getting back to you. I can also see the message you've sent on the 27th and w... read more »

Terrible delivery service

2 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 23, 2018

Book ordered and confirmed order on 15th February - email on 16th February, book has been shipped - 23rd February email, expected arrival 13th March - Australia Post (not your local post office!!) terrible!!!

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Mark,

I'm very sorry to hear about this! I'd like to look into this further and see what went wrong, could I have your order number please?

Not so great...

2 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 15, 2018

No free postage as i do have with Book deposit so it was more expensive, & i was told it was comming 1 day & was supposed to be delivered another day & i am still yet to recieved my book even though Australia Post has said it was delivered....im not very happy as it was a present which didnt arrive..i wont be buying again from here....

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Vee, While we don’t offer free shipping all year round, we do have free shipping promotions usually once a month. Just make sure you're signed up to our Newsletters to be notified of our next f... read more »

Auckland

• 2 comments
Private message

Terrible delivery service in NZ!

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 24, 2018

Twice I have ordered from Booktopia and the first time I had a terrible experience with the books taking over a month to arrive. They were apologetic and offered me an account credit so I thought I would give them another chance however the same issues were repeated and it took about a month to receive my items again. I believe the problem may be with the delivery service they use in NZ, PBT couriers, if they used NZ post and didn't go for the cheapest and most incompetent company then things may have been different. I will certainly not be ordering from them ever again!

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Hans,

I'm really sorry to hear this! We'd like to look into this further and see what went wrong with these deliveries. Could I have your most recent order number please?

Booktopia Official

Hi Hans, Thanks for providing that info. I can see you had the exact issue two months and we're very sorry about both of these incidents. Our freight partner for NZ uses both PBT and NZ Post dep... read more »

Mystery packaging

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 21, 2018

My Booktopia order was way overdue.
Today I checked with Australia Post to try and locate it.
Australia Post had a photo of some cardboard under my doormat.

Then I recalled that piece of cardboard. On January 5 there was a parcel in my letterbox - an online book order from another book company. I assumed the cardboard from Australia Post was related to that delivery.
I put it in a small waste paper basket - later into my recycling bin.
Today Australia Post showed me another Booktopia flat parcel -
a wide flat cardboard like package although in this case I could feel that something was enclosed.
To add insult to injury I wanted to order a guide book for Camino Portugues- looks like I accidentally ordered maps - an all round disaster!!
I had been looking forward to that book.
Perhaps to avoid similar disappointments to your customers you could clearly state the a book etc is enclosed.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Jan, Sorry for the confusion with this order. I've found your order and I can see that the item was mistakenly advertised as a paperback book in the format. I'm very sorry about this, I've orga... read more »

Nickol

• 1 comment

Still waiting

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 03, 2018

Have been invited to provide feedback on my Booktopia experience but unfortunately cannot do so as my book still hasn't arrived.
Disappointed that they've used snail mail as, at this stage, I won't have read it in time for Bookclub.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Esther,

I'm sorry to hear this! Let me look into this for you, could I have your order number please?

Jessica

Thanks for responding. Book just now been delivered and have started reading! Kind regards Esther

Hi Esther,

That's great to hear. Enjoy the book!

Jessica

Great prices but to what cost?

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 27, 2017

I was waiting for an order(Christmas present) which you said would arrive on the 22nd Dec, guess what? It didn't- so you can imagine I am somewhat disappointed.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear this! I'd like to look into this further, could I have your order number please?

Poor

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 23, 2017

Package was ridiculous for small size of book
Aust Post tracking told me would be delivered Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and it eventually arrived at
5.25 p.m. Friday. And you charge $6.95 for this privilege. Never again.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Synic, The reason for using the packaging that we do is because of their sturdy nature which prevents the book from moving around inside the packaging while it's in transit to you. The cardboar... read more »

1 of 10 pages

How do I increase text size on the booktopia reader app? I have bought an ebook in epub format and the text is too small to read on my phone.

Ekmandy asked on Jun 08, 2018

Hi Ekmandy,

To increase the font size of a book, open the eBook on your device then tap the screen once to bring up the menu. Once you’ve done this, click Settings (this should look like a cogwheel on IOS). There will be section called "Text Size" and a plus and negative sign that will increase or decrease font size respectively.

Tap the plus sign a few times and the font size will increase. If the plus sign goes grey then you're not able to increase the size any more. Once you’ve done this, make sure you click Save to save the changes.

If you have any other enquiries please do not hesitate to contact us.

Jessica

I work near your distribution centre. Am I able to pick up an order from there or do I have to have it posted?

Andrew asked on Jun 03, 2018

Hi Andrew,

I'm sorry but we don't offer collection, the way we distribute orders doesn't really allow for it. Plus it becomes an OH&S issue having customers on site.

We do often have Free Shipping promotions which we only send to customers signed up for our Newsletters. We have a promotion going on right now which expires midnight on the 13th of June, the codeword is EOFYS and can be entered in at the final stage of checkout under the Gift Certificates, Store Credits and Promotion Codes heading.

I hope you'll consider ordering with us in future and taking advantage of our promotions. Be sure to get in touch if we can ever assist. :)

Jessica

how do I increase text size on booktopia?

Shona L asked on May 27, 2018

Hi Shona,

Just to clarify, are you using our Booktopia Reader app to read an eBook or do you want to increase the size of our website while you make purchases?

Let me know if you're on the site or using our Booktopia Reader app and I can help you with this.