Packaging

2 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 16, 2018

The ordering and shipping process was streamlined and efficient but I was most disappointed with the excessive amount of packaging used for my order - a box 46cm long x 33cm wide x 15cm high for a boxed set of digest-size books measuring 20cm long x 13cm wide x 11cm high. This is a gross waste of resources.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi JayJay, We normally use flat cardboard sheets for our parcels that are put through a machine and sealed shut using pressure activated glue. The cardboard sheets come in a roll and have a standa... read more »

Melbourne

Not follow the order

2 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 15, 2018

There were options to give the authority to the driver to leave the parcel at my place if there was nobody home. I chose it. My parcel ended up at the post office so I had to go there to pick up. I can understand that Aus Post didn’t allow the parcel to be left at my place, but then the option that your website gave was meaningless.
Also I asked for customised note when I paid wrapping fee, because it was a gift to my wife. The book was wrapped but no note was written down. My wife and I were looking for it and I felt embarrassed.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Eric,

I'm sorry to hear about this! Let me look into these issues further for you, could I have your order number?

Jessica

Hi, Thank you for your reply. My order number was 7115827. The product itself was very good, I’m happy with it and will come back to purchase more products from. My point here is that for addition... read more »

Booktopia Official

Hi Eric, Thanks for providing your order number! Regarding the parcel being taken to the post office, I've raised this with Australia Post to see if they can tell me why it went to the Post Office... read more »

• 4 helpful votes

Verified Customer

Cannot contact Booktopia by message , chat or Phone !!

2 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 22, 2018

Tried for two days on 19th and 20/3/2018 to contact Booktopia via message and phone and chat functions .No luck on any of these services . Customer service used to be prompt and helpful. Had to go to another supplier for most of my requirements as I simply could talk to anyone regarding some basic information .

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi there John, I'm sorry to hear you had some trouble getting in touch with us! Our phone availability is 9am-5pm in your time zone, which means that we'll be available for your start starting fro... read more »

Deceptive shipping times

2 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 16, 2018

We ordered Pride and Prejudice Large Print in early Feb 2018 for Mums 93rd Birthday. We bought through Booktopia as we were offered shipping in 1-2 days. As soon as order paid for we got an email saying “Oopsies sorry we’re having trouble with your order. You will get in 1-2 weeks”.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Mr Darcy,

I'd like to look into this further, could I grab your order number please?

Wouldn't use again!

2 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 13, 2018

Ill-timed response to customer inquiries. Your website states that the item will usually be shipped the same day the order if placed if it is in stock, which was not the case. Tracking info provided only after the item had been shipped and had already arrived at my house. I did not trust in the whole process and wouldn't use your service again.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Bealie,

Sorry to hear that! I'd like to look into this order a little further and see what information was being displayed, as well as how we performed. Could I grab your order number please?

Thanks!

ADELAIDE

• 3 comments
  • 6 helpful votes

Verified Customer

Does Booktopia really take Papal payments?

2 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 06, 2018

My payment to Booktopia has been approved and is sitting in Paypal waiting for Booktopia to place the order.
Booktopia automated message claims they can't contact Paypal to process my order, clearly Paypal is contactable as the first part of the process is complete. I can see the approvals in my PayPal account and have received the authorisation emails from PayPal. 'You authorised a payment of $56.40 AUD to Booktopia Pty. Ltd.(info@booktopia.com.au). Your funds will be transferred when the merchant processes your payment.'

Booktopia customer service can't understand or doesn't care that I want to order by Paypal. Their solution is not to fix their ordering problem, just change the payment method. Not happening, I need to pay with Paypal.
I am awaiting a response or solution from Paypal but also looking for somewhere else to order my books.

A quick note: I have ordered through Dymocks using my paypal account without any issue.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Mama S,

I'd like to look into this further and see what happened. Could I grab your order number please?

Brisbane

• 1 helpful vote

Verified Customer

Don’t believe stock availability or delivery times

2 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 28, 2018

Website says products in stock at time of order. Email received later says sorry not in stock. Estimate of time given for stock to arrive however a week after this date still has not arrived. Contacting Booktopia results in a I don’t know when answer. While the order was fully refund it took time. Another order for a different product has since been placed which showed was in stock but once again email received saying it’s not. Follow up complaint has not been answered.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Lisa, I'm sorry for the delay in acknowledging your review, I just wanted to look into this a little further before getting back to you. I can also see the message you've sent on the 27th and w... read more »

Terrible delivery service

2 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 23, 2018

Book ordered and confirmed order on 15th February - email on 16th February, book has been shipped - 23rd February email, expected arrival 13th March - Australia Post (not your local post office!!) terrible!!!

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Mark,

I'm very sorry to hear about this! I'd like to look into this further and see what went wrong, could I have your order number please?

Not so great...

2 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 15, 2018

No free postage as i do have with Book deposit so it was more expensive, & i was told it was comming 1 day & was supposed to be delivered another day & i am still yet to recieved my book even though Australia Post has said it was delivered....im not very happy as it was a present which didnt arrive..i wont be buying again from here....

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Vee, While we don’t offer free shipping all year round, we do have free shipping promotions usually once a month. Just make sure you're signed up to our Newsletters to be notified of our next f... read more »

Auckland

• 2 comments
Private message

Terrible delivery service in NZ!

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 24, 2018

Twice I have ordered from Booktopia and the first time I had a terrible experience with the books taking over a month to arrive. They were apologetic and offered me an account credit so I thought I would give them another chance however the same issues were repeated and it took about a month to receive my items again. I believe the problem may be with the delivery service they use in NZ, PBT couriers, if they used NZ post and didn't go for the cheapest and most incompetent company then things may have been different. I will certainly not be ordering from them ever again!

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Hans,

I'm really sorry to hear this! We'd like to look into this further and see what went wrong with these deliveries. Could I have your most recent order number please?

Booktopia Official

Hi Hans, Thanks for providing that info. I can see you had the exact issue two months and we're very sorry about both of these incidents. Our freight partner for NZ uses both PBT and NZ Post dep... read more »

Mystery packaging

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 21, 2018

My Booktopia order was way overdue.
Today I checked with Australia Post to try and locate it.
Australia Post had a photo of some cardboard under my doormat.

Then I recalled that piece of cardboard. On January 5 there was a parcel in my letterbox - an online book order from another book company. I assumed the cardboard from Australia Post was related to that delivery.
I put it in a small waste paper basket - later into my recycling bin.
Today Australia Post showed me another Booktopia flat parcel -
a wide flat cardboard like package although in this case I could feel that something was enclosed.
To add insult to injury I wanted to order a guide book for Camino Portugues- looks like I accidentally ordered maps - an all round disaster!!
I had been looking forward to that book.
Perhaps to avoid similar disappointments to your customers you could clearly state the a book etc is enclosed.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Jan, Sorry for the confusion with this order. I've found your order and I can see that the item was mistakenly advertised as a paperback book in the format. I'm very sorry about this, I've orga... read more »

Nickol

Still waiting

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 03, 2018

Have been invited to provide feedback on my Booktopia experience but unfortunately cannot do so as my book still hasn't arrived.
Disappointed that they've used snail mail as, at this stage, I won't have read it in time for Bookclub.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Esther,

I'm sorry to hear this! Let me look into this for you, could I have your order number please?

Jessica

Thanks for responding. Book just now been delivered and have started reading! Kind regards Esther

Hi Esther,

That's great to hear. Enjoy the book!

Jessica

Great prices but to what cost?

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 27, 2017

I was waiting for an order(Christmas present) which you said would arrive on the 22nd Dec, guess what? It didn't- so you can imagine I am somewhat disappointed.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear this! I'd like to look into this further, could I have your order number please?

Poor

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 23, 2017

Package was ridiculous for small size of book
Aust Post tracking told me would be delivered Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and it eventually arrived at
5.25 p.m. Friday. And you charge $6.95 for this privilege. Never again.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Synic, The reason for using the packaging that we do is because of their sturdy nature which prevents the book from moving around inside the packaging while it's in transit to you. The cardboar... read more »

Adelaide

• 3 comments
Private message

Book cover in poor condition

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 19, 2017

Disappointed that one of the books I ordered had a dirty and scratched cover (paper cover over hardback). It is a gift so would have liked it to actually look brand new. It was wrapped well so must be the storage or handling method before packaging for postage.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Jess, I'm really sorry to hear this - I completely agree, all of our items are brand new so they should arrive as such. I'd like to take note of your feedback with our Operations Manager for q... read more »

Thanks for the reply. My order number is 6621994 (Zoo Quest Expeditions). All the other are fine

Booktopia Official

Hi Jess, Thanks for providing your order number, I'll pass this feedback on. I'd also be happy to arrange for a replacement copy to be sent to you however we're currently out of stock - we do how... read more »

• 4 comments

One hiccup

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 12, 2017

Timely delivery and good price although diary arrived damaged with a tear away from the spine, it must have been packed like this as it was not possible during transit due to packaging.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Grainne,

I'm very sorry to hear this! If I could grab your order number I will look into getting a replacement copy to you.

Jessica

Order number:6558345 Grainne O Sullivan, thank you, greatly appreciated!

Booktopia Official

Hi Grainne, Thanks for providing your order number! I've had a look and unfortunately we've run out of stock of the item you purchased. We can still arrange a replacement however it will be delive... read more »

Woodside SA

Disappointing

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 11, 2017

I ordered 2 books and received one last week. I phoned re. the other one. Waited 40min. before call was answered. I was then told the other book would be here in a week. Very disappointing as I had fast service in the past. Regards Frances McCarthy.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Frances, I'm really sorry for the wait you experienced on the phone, we have all available staff taking calls during the busy Christmas season. It's likely that you purchased in-stock items in... read more »

Thankyou for your comments and explanation!

Shipping time twice as long as advertised

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 09, 2017

Needed something quick I couldn’t find in a local store, checked their delivery times and it said 1-2 business days. That was fine I had 3 days before I needed it (was a gift for someone).
However, they then took 3 days to dispatch the package from their warehouse. And yes, everything I ordered was marked as in stock, so they weren’t waiting for a delivery or anything. I ordered it on Tuesday night, received the notification it had been dispatched Friday afternoon, I needed it Sunday, and it arrived Tuesday.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi there, The time frames advertised on our website are actually shipping time frames, not delivery times. In saying that, the order really should have shipped earlier than it did, I'm sorry for t... read more »

Tardy delivery is unusual for Booktopia.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 09, 2017

Promised delivery on Monday. It's now Thursday. But...Still don't have my purchase. And still don't have my purchase. And still...

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear this! Let me look into it further, could I have the order number please?

Adelaide

• 1 helpful vote

Verified Customer

Pre-order book forgotten, No response to messages

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 01, 2017

Having placed a pre-order I was expecting to receive the book a few days after its publication. Absolutely no update to my order 2 weeks later. I used their internal Message system to inquire (as allegedly they're prioritised over emails) but no response. After noting the book's appearance in a search list said 'more stock arriving soon' I sent another message, indicating my disappointment in the lack of communication, and that a friend has received their book via Dymocks pre-order.
Still no reply to my message but my order now says "item has been allocated to your order". Does this mean there's a physical book in their warehouse or they've forgotten the pre-order and have just ordered it.
I just want an update, an ETA, for the book.

UPDATE
My order was updated and shipped after this review, then the messages were replied to.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Bex, Pre-orders are a little tricky to manage since a lot of the time we have to wait for the publisher to ship the stock, and they can't always prepare this before the publication date. I'm r... read more »

1 of 10 pages