Private message

If you can wait a week, you'll save money!

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 10, 2018

I've compared price of books from UK Depository and they're not $5-$10 more, plus the fact there's no delivery cost. So if you can wait a week, you're in front.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Not a great experience

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 19, 2018

Wrong book sent. Right title but even after a lengthy discussion about the author Reese Witherspoon with the person I ordered it through she did not alert me to the fact that it was not the book I was talking about. After 15 days I rang to say the book had not arrived only to be informed it was coming from an outside dispatcher. I was not told of this at the time of order. The book arrived, I phoned and another girl told me it was okay to seal it up in the same bag and the post office would accept it for return. I questioned this but was told I didn't need anything from Booktopia. Went to post office and they told me I need an official reply paid slip from Booktopia. Another phone call now my third involving this order, resulted in a reply paid slip being emailed. Took it to the post office and sent it. Another 7 days or thereabouts I had to phone again to ask if Booktopia had received it! No they hadn't I was told. This time I got a person who knew exactly how to deal with this annoying issue and the book has now duly arrived. She was very patient, professional and understanding and co-operative and polite. I will add that I had ordered another book from Amazon while all this was going on and had absolutely no problem. My comment is that several of your staff need some more training in order to improve your customer service. I sincerely hope that my experience and explanation helps you to improve your service. I have gone to some considerable time and effort to give you constructive criticism and would appreciate some feedback.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Kaye,

I would definitely like to look into this further, could I grab your order number please?

Has not come even though it was supposed to come in over 5 days ago

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 31, 2018

It is extremely hard to compliment when my books haven’t come in yet. I wish there was something nice to say but even your prices were a bit rash as I could’ve gotten the whole series for $55 at Kmart when I had to pay over $70.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Liv,

I'm really sorry to hear the order hasn't arrived yet. Let me look into it further for you, could I grab your order number please?

Sydney

• 1 question
  • 1 answer

Poor business model

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 17, 2018

Accepted my money for very expensive book, eventually told me it was sold out at the advertised price. Then i found they were advertising it at a higher price so i ordered it from Amazon and got it in about a week. Next order was for three cheap paperbacks which now they say they cannit supply two of the. SHOULDNT BE TAKING ORDERS AND PROCESSING PAYMENTS WHEN THEY DONT HAVE STOCK.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi there,

Sorry to hear this. Let me look into this, could I grab one of your order numbers please?

• 1 comment

Wrong delivery address

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 14, 2018

Booktopia had the most recent edition of the book I wanted, which was great & I was informed of delivery on the day. I had to search the street to find out where it was left.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Linda,

I'm really sorry to hear this! I'd like to raise this feedback with Australia Post to ensure this doesn't happen with future deliveries. Could I grab your order number please?

Jessica

My order No. was 7887204. Good luck with Australia Post! Parcel delivery should be absolutely accurate. Regular post is often delivered to the wrong address and I think this is a problem in the sorting office. Kind regards, Linda

Booktopia Official

Thanks Linda, I've sent you a direct email about this as well.

Not great service

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 13, 2018

Ordered 2 books in the same order, yet they came in separate deliveries. This meant I was bombarded with delivery notifications and emails but not the same instructions/options, this meant the first delivery was left at my work location as instructed while the second went to the post office 1.5kms away. Confusing and lacking organisation in their delivery method, i won't be ordering from here again.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Martin,

Sorry to hear this! I'd like to look into it further, could I grab your order number please?

Jessica

Terrible experience with both orders

2 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 08, 2018

Given so many positive reviews I decided to support a local Australian business, what a mistake!

First order, got the usual notification email, then went back in the next day to check - order was suspended as they couldn't process my credit card, which works everywhere else! Had to contact them myself to find out what happened, they couldn't tell me, forced to pay with Bpay which delayed the order again. They are very very slow to respond to order enquiries, if at all.

Second order, chose in-stock items so I could pay extra for express next day delivery. Heard nothing from them for 3 days, emailed them with no response for another 2 days. Seems like they decided to send the package on the fifth day with a follow up email apologising, but no reason for being late 5 days late. Wanted the books quickly but had to settle for a 7 day delay for in stock items. Not good enough.

Lastly, their website forces customers enter solve CAPTCHA puzzles whenever you login and whenever you send an enquiry form while logged in, which is very annoying. Why would they force you to solve CAPTCHA puzzles when already logged in, which makes contacting them very difficult. I had to solve 8 puzzles just to send a single message to them, totally uncool.

I will now be trying a competitor, sadly wondering how so many positive glowing reviews for booktopia could result in two horrible experiences for me.

Hopefully this time my review will be published on this site.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Simon, Sorry to hear about this. I'd like to look into this further, could I grab your order number please? Regarding the Captcha puzzles, we're making changes to how this functions. Thanks fo... read more »

Creased book cover

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 11, 2018

The book I purchased was a hard cover children's book with a creased jacket cover. It was intended as a baby gift for a newborn but I was unhappy with the state of the cover. Not nice, especially when the book was brand new. It ruined the gift as far as I was concerned.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Kate,

I'm really sorry to hear about this! I've sent you a direct message so we can sort out a replacement for you.

Jessica

No communication about out of stock books

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 06, 2018

Unfortunately I have found Booktopia quite poor in communicating to buyers. Items show as in stock but take weeks to be sent out if at all, usually resulting in a cancellation an another week to get your money back.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Mark,

Sorry to hear this. I'd like to look into the experience you've had a little further, could I grab your most recent order number?

Why the long wait!!!!!

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 28, 2018

I ordered a book on the 14th July. Today is the 26th July and I've been informed my book has been shipped today. I live in the Lower Blue Mountains one hour from Sydney. I could have walked to the warehouse and back in this time. $7 delivery and a two week turnaround when you live an hour from the warehouse pretty average really.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Yvette,

It sounds like you may have ordered an item we don't stock in our Sydney Distribution Centre. If I could grab your order number I will look further into it for you.

Disappointed.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 23, 2018

Hello. I was very disappointed in the time the book took to arrive. Your quote when ordering was 1-2 days. It arrived after 8 days.
Had I realised the length of time involved I would have sourced it elsewhere. The 1-2 days suited me.
Thank you.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi there,

I'd like to look into your order a little further, could I grab your order number please?

Never received my book.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 18, 2018

According to the staff at Booktopia, neither they nor their courier know what happened to my order. I never received it and was refunded my money. Don't know that I'll bother with them again.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Onyx,

This definitely doesn't sound right. If I could grab your order number I will most definitely look into this for you.

Shipping dates are inaccurate

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 14, 2018

Website stated that book would be shipped from supplier within 15 business days. Did not hear anything for a few weeks, so contacted customer service. Must give credit that they got back to me fairly quickly but stated that the supplier was experiencing a stock delay & could not even give me an estimate about when it would be available again. Looking at other reviews, this seems to be quite a common "reason" they give when shipping is not within their stated time-frame. Have requested a refund, hopefully that process goes smoothly. I only decided to use this website as they offered AfterPay, but will be going back to Book Depository after this experience.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Melinda, Sorry to hear you experienced a delay with your order! The majority of what we sell is stocked in our Sydney Distribution Centre, however in order to have the large range of books avai... read more »

Fast but dirty

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 12, 2018

Hi, your delivery was fast which was great.
Unfortunately all the books were very dusty and even using a lightly damp cloth not all the dirt could be removed.
I really enjoy books (including the nice covers) - and this experience made me miss book shops!

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Olivia,

I'm really sorry to hear about this! I'd like to raise this with our Operations Manager, could I grab your order number and the titles of the books that were dusty?

Thanks!

Melbourne

Received in poor condition

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 01, 2018

I purchased this book online because I thought Booktopia would be the best choice as it appeared reputable. Whilst the book arrived in only a few days, which I was happy with, I am extremely disappointed with the condition it came in. The front cover was dirty with grey marks all over it. The cover is a very light pink colour which made these marks very visible. No one would miss them. I presumed the book would have arrived in its original packaging (ie, sealed in plastic) but it was just the book itself, looking as though it had been thrown around. I bought this book for a present for my sister and I don’t feel I can give it to her now because of the condition it came in. Very disappointed and now have to purchase another from a different store.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Kat,

I'm very sorry to hear this! I've sent you a direct message about this, we'll sort something out for you.

Not so good....

2 out of 5, reviewed on May 16, 2018

Booktopia seems OK but let down by PBT couriers who didn't phone me in my apartment building in Wellington and sent the book back to Sydney! They said they had no phone number but they did. Also a very long wait on the phone to talk to a customer service rep to get this sorted out.
So, so far, no book and a lot of frustration and needless time on the phone :-(

Perth

• 3 comments

Not received

2 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 24, 2018

The order has not arrived, after 10 days of the order being placed (delivery to Perth, WA). The reason given was that the order system could not handle the volume of orders and the new system was causing problems with tracking through Australia Post.Told to wait another week.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Albert,

I'm really sorry about this. If I could grab your order number I'll chase this up for you.

Hello Jessica

O/N is 7172905.

Thank you for responding to my comments. I appreciate any update you can provide.

Regards, Albert

Hi Jessica

Is there any news on the order? The site still shows that it has not been picked up.

Albert

Packaging

2 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 16, 2018

The ordering and shipping process was streamlined and efficient but I was most disappointed with the excessive amount of packaging used for my order - a box 46cm long x 33cm wide x 15cm high for a boxed set of digest-size books measuring 20cm long x 13cm wide x 11cm high. This is a gross waste of resources.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi JayJay, We normally use flat cardboard sheets for our parcels that are put through a machine and sealed shut using pressure activated glue. The cardboard sheets come in a roll and have a standa... read more »

Melbourne

• 1 comment

Not follow the order

2 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 15, 2018

There were options to give the authority to the driver to leave the parcel at my place if there was nobody home. I chose it. My parcel ended up at the post office so I had to go there to pick up. I can understand that Aus Post didn’t allow the parcel to be left at my place, but then the option that your website gave was meaningless.
Also I asked for customised note when I paid wrapping fee, because it was a gift to my wife. The book was wrapped but no note was written down. My wife and I were looking for it and I felt embarrassed.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Eric,

I'm sorry to hear about this! Let me look into these issues further for you, could I have your order number?

Jessica

Hi, Thank you for your reply. My order number was 7115827. The product itself was very good, I’m happy with it and will come back to purchase more products from. My point here is that for addition... read more »

Booktopia Official

Hi Eric, Thanks for providing your order number! Regarding the parcel being taken to the post office, I've raised this with Australia Post to see if they can tell me why it went to the Post Office... read more »

• 4 helpful votes

Verified Customer

Cannot contact Booktopia by message , chat or Phone !!

2 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 22, 2018

Tried for two days on 19th and 20/3/2018 to contact Booktopia via message and phone and chat functions .No luck on any of these services . Customer service used to be prompt and helpful. Had to go to another supplier for most of my requirements as I simply could talk to anyone regarding some basic information .

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi there John, I'm sorry to hear you had some trouble getting in touch with us! Our phone availability is 9am-5pm in your time zone, which means that we'll be available for your start starting fro... read more »

1 of 11 pages