Terrible delivery service

2 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 23, 2018

Book ordered and confirmed order on 15th February - email on 16th February, book has been shipped - 23rd February email, expected arrival 13th March - Australia Post (not your local post office!!) terrible!!!

Not so great...

2 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 15, 2018

No free postage as i do have with Book deposit so it was more expensive, & i was told it was comming 1 day & was supposed to be delivered another day & i am still yet to recieved my book even though Australia Post has said it was delivered....im not very happy as it was a present which didnt arrive..i wont be buying again from here....

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Vee, While we don’t offer free shipping all year round, we do have free shipping promotions usually once a month. Just make sure you're signed up to our Newsletters to be notified of our next f... read more »

Auckland

Private message

Terrible delivery service in NZ!

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 24, 2018

Twice I have ordered from Booktopia and the first time I had a terrible experience with the books taking over a month to arrive. They were apologetic and offered me an account credit so I thought I would give them another chance however the same issues were repeated and it took about a month to receive my items again. I believe the problem may be with the delivery service they use in NZ, PBT couriers, if they used NZ post and didn't go for the cheapest and most incompetent company then things may have been different. I will certainly not be ordering from them ever again!

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Hans,

I'm really sorry to hear this! We'd like to look into this further and see what went wrong with these deliveries. Could I have your most recent order number please?

Booktopia Official

Hi Hans, Thanks for providing that info. I can see you had the exact issue two months and we're very sorry about both of these incidents. Our freight partner for NZ uses both PBT and NZ Post dep... read more »

Mystery packaging

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 21, 2018

My Booktopia order was way overdue.
Today I checked with Australia Post to try and locate it.
Australia Post had a photo of some cardboard under my doormat.

Then I recalled that piece of cardboard. On January 5 there was a parcel in my letterbox - an online book order from another book company. I assumed the cardboard from Australia Post was related to that delivery.
I put it in a small waste paper basket - later into my recycling bin.
Today Australia Post showed me another Booktopia flat parcel -
a wide flat cardboard like package although in this case I could feel that something was enclosed.
To add insult to injury I wanted to order a guide book for Camino Portugues- looks like I accidentally ordered maps - an all round disaster!!
I had been looking forward to that book.
Perhaps to avoid similar disappointments to your customers you could clearly state the a book etc is enclosed.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Jan, Sorry for the confusion with this order. I've found your order and I can see that the item was mistakenly advertised as a paperback book in the format. I'm very sorry about this, I've orga... read more »

Nickol

Still waiting

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jan 03, 2018

Have been invited to provide feedback on my Booktopia experience but unfortunately cannot do so as my book still hasn't arrived.
Disappointed that they've used snail mail as, at this stage, I won't have read it in time for Bookclub.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Esther,

I'm sorry to hear this! Let me look into this for you, could I have your order number please?

Jessica

Thanks for responding. Book just now been delivered and have started reading! Kind regards Esther

Hi Esther,

That's great to hear. Enjoy the book!

Jessica

Great prices but to what cost?

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 27, 2017

I was waiting for an order(Christmas present) which you said would arrive on the 22nd Dec, guess what? It didn't- so you can imagine I am somewhat disappointed.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear this! I'd like to look into this further, could I have your order number please?

Poor

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 23, 2017

Package was ridiculous for small size of book
Aust Post tracking told me would be delivered Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and it eventually arrived at
5.25 p.m. Friday. And you charge $6.95 for this privilege. Never again.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Synic, The reason for using the packaging that we do is because of their sturdy nature which prevents the book from moving around inside the packaging while it's in transit to you. The cardboar... read more »

Adelaide

• 3 comments
Private message

Book cover in poor condition

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 19, 2017

Disappointed that one of the books I ordered had a dirty and scratched cover (paper cover over hardback). It is a gift so would have liked it to actually look brand new. It was wrapped well so must be the storage or handling method before packaging for postage.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Jess, I'm really sorry to hear this - I completely agree, all of our items are brand new so they should arrive as such. I'd like to take note of your feedback with our Operations Manager for q... read more »

Thanks for the reply. My order number is 6621994 (Zoo Quest Expeditions). All the other are fine

Booktopia Official

Hi Jess, Thanks for providing your order number, I'll pass this feedback on. I'd also be happy to arrange for a replacement copy to be sent to you however we're currently out of stock - we do how... read more »

• 4 comments

One hiccup

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 12, 2017

Timely delivery and good price although diary arrived damaged with a tear away from the spine, it must have been packed like this as it was not possible during transit due to packaging.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Grainne,

I'm very sorry to hear this! If I could grab your order number I will look into getting a replacement copy to you.

Jessica

Order number:6558345 Grainne O Sullivan, thank you, greatly appreciated!

Booktopia Official

Hi Grainne, Thanks for providing your order number! I've had a look and unfortunately we've run out of stock of the item you purchased. We can still arrange a replacement however it will be delive... read more »

Woodside SA

Disappointing

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 11, 2017

I ordered 2 books and received one last week. I phoned re. the other one. Waited 40min. before call was answered. I was then told the other book would be here in a week. Very disappointing as I had fast service in the past. Regards Frances McCarthy.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Frances, I'm really sorry for the wait you experienced on the phone, we have all available staff taking calls during the busy Christmas season. It's likely that you purchased in-stock items in... read more »

Thankyou for your comments and explanation!

Shipping time twice as long as advertised

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 09, 2017

Needed something quick I couldn’t find in a local store, checked their delivery times and it said 1-2 business days. That was fine I had 3 days before I needed it (was a gift for someone).
However, they then took 3 days to dispatch the package from their warehouse. And yes, everything I ordered was marked as in stock, so they weren’t waiting for a delivery or anything. I ordered it on Tuesday night, received the notification it had been dispatched Friday afternoon, I needed it Sunday, and it arrived Tuesday.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi there, The time frames advertised on our website are actually shipping time frames, not delivery times. In saying that, the order really should have shipped earlier than it did, I'm sorry for t... read more »

Tardy delivery is unusual for Booktopia.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 09, 2017

Promised delivery on Monday. It's now Thursday. But...Still don't have my purchase. And still don't have my purchase. And still...

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear this! Let me look into it further, could I have the order number please?

Adelaide

• 1 helpful vote

Verified Customer

Pre-order book forgotten, No response to messages

2 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 01, 2017

Having placed a pre-order I was expecting to receive the book a few days after its publication. Absolutely no update to my order 2 weeks later. I used their internal Message system to inquire (as allegedly they're prioritised over emails) but no response. After noting the book's appearance in a search list said 'more stock arriving soon' I sent another message, indicating my disappointment in the lack of communication, and that a friend has received their book via Dymocks pre-order.
Still no reply to my message but my order now says "item has been allocated to your order". Does this mean there's a physical book in their warehouse or they've forgotten the pre-order and have just ordered it.
I just want an update, an ETA, for the book.

UPDATE
My order was updated and shipped after this review, then the messages were replied to.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Bex, Pre-orders are a little tricky to manage since a lot of the time we have to wait for the publisher to ship the stock, and they can't always prepare this before the publication date. I'm r... read more »

Verified Customer

If their staff could only be bothered to....

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 24, 2017

So I ordered a book online and was impressed to see it was listed as fulfilled the same evening (17th November 2017).

Several days later, though, it was still showing as waiting for Australia post to collect it. This surprised me - if you are constantly sending stuff out, it ought to have gone with the regular daily collections Australia Post do. And I'd assume you'd notice something not collected after a couple of days.

So I e-mailed to inquire. I know Australia Post's tracking system is often awful so maybe the error was there.

The eventual reply said "I am unable to advise as to why it took them so long to collect it, but according to the tracking code, it should be on its way." - well, that was actually exactly as asking. When a customer advises a supplier that some part of their chain of operation isn't working properly, it is only prudent to investigate it to rectify it and prevent it happening again. Given that they are regularly sending out hundreds of orders daily through the post and paying for the collection service, you'd think that'd be something they'd want to inquire about and sort out with Australia post!

The book is now due to arrive VERY late. Just because someone couldn't be bothered to follow it up. Yes, it's one of so many they sell, but every customer counts if you want to stay in business. I could have bought this elsewhere. Next time I will. You only get ONE chance to make a first impression and frankly, you've blown this in three ways, demonstrating your poor attitude toward your customers.

The internet is a big place. There are lots more bookshops. I chose Booktopia because they claim to be Australian and had the shortest shipping distance for that book. I now believe that I could have gotten it here from overseas faster. I'm disappointed and I'm not buying from them again.

The fact is there may be thousands of clients for whom this worked flawlessly. Good for them. That doesn't fix MY bad experience.
In reality, what demonstrates how good a company is, is how they deal with things when they don't work well. Fail, Booktopia. You only needed to lift a phone and ask your storeperson what happened and tell me. Mistakes are forgivable, cover-ups or Ostriching is not.

The book, by the way, still hasn't arrived. Australia post says (maybe) Tuesday 28th November

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear you're still waiting on the order. I'd very much like to look into this further and see what went wrong. Could I have your order number please?

Jessica

I have been contacted by Mark and we have reached a solution

Hi again,

That's great to hear! I'm glad this was sorted out.

Be sure to let us know if we can assist in future.

Not 1-2 days delivery over 2 weeks

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 24, 2017

Definitely not 1-2 days delivery. I placed my order on the 6th November finally received my 2 books on the 22nd November. That's over 2 weeks! I'm only 40mins drive from their warehouse. Also I sent them message they never replied. Got someone on live help lets just say they were NO help..

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Clark,

I'm sorry to hear this. If I could grab your order number I will look into this further.

Jessica

Did not receive gift packaging I paid for

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 18, 2017

Paid for gift wrapping but on arrival book was not gift wrapped. The book came in just a normal postal envelope. Would like a refund for the gift wrapping

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Ben,

I’m so sorry to hear this! Let me look into this further and sort out that refund for you. Could I have your order number please?

Private message

Book sent to wrong address

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 17, 2017

This feedback is the first I have heard of my delivery but no book has been delivered.
Waited for a long time on hold and eventually found out through live chat my book was waiting at a post office. As I work 6 days and cannot pick it up I was told my [name removed], who was helpful, that it would have to be shipped back to Sydney and then back to Burleigh. It will take at least 10 working days just to get back to Sydney and as a result I won’t have it to give to the Birthday girl on her Birthday. Shame. I guess you try something once hey.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Adam,

I'm sorry to hear about this. I'd like to look into this further to see what happened and I'll see if I can expedite this for you at all. Could I have your order number please?

Sure thanks Jess. It is 6388997

Hey Adam,

I tried giving you a call however it went to voicemail so I've sent you a direct message about this. Let us know how you would like to proceed with it.

Ripped off!

2 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 06, 2017

I feel very ripped off after my purchase of Delicious Daily through Booktopia!
After seeing an ad my wife asked me to pre-order this book and so save 25% BUT by the time we paid the delivery fee and site fee, at $40.70 it cost almost as much as RRP. THEN when we saw the new release advertised at Dymocks for $29.99 we really felt RIPPED OFF!

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi John, I'm sorry we weren't the cheapest option in this case. We will always strive to give the best price possible by sourcing locally where we can and providing discounts however we don't real... read more »

Undelivered books

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 20, 2017

Hi there, am a little concerned received notification that my books have been sent but haven't received them yet. There was no note for post office pick up.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Vickie,

Sorry to hear! Let me look into it further, what's your order number?

melbourne

• 2 comments
  • 9 answers
  • 10 helpful votes

No follow up too slow

2 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 19, 2017

Spent a substantial amount on books 6 days ago, I estimate about 10 business days for my items to arrive which is pretty slow. I have yet to receive a response about my email I sent 2 days ago and I am very unimpressed considering how much money I spent here. I will never order from here again due to lack of communication and the snail pace of goods being received.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi June,

I'm sorry to hear about this! I'll look into it further and give you an update ASAP. Could I have your order number please?

Jessica

Hi Jessica, Thank you for your response the order number is 6261571 and this is in the email I sent on the 17th, are you unable to see this on your system to respond via Booktopia? The status is ... read more »

Booktopia Official

Hi June, Thanks for providing your order number! I'm really sorry we haven't gotten back to your message as of yet, we have been experiencing a bit of a spike in customer contact. I've had a look... read more »

1 of 9 pages