• 1 comment
  • 3 helpful votes
Private message

Book arrived in prefect condition - just don’t try to let other people pay for it on their cards

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 31, 2018

Book arrived after I had to use Afterpay and go into debt over a uni textbook and I had to create another account under my second name (as my cards have another on them). My grandfather wanted to buy it for me but the system flagged it and despite calling 4 times and referring them onto him they still denied helping. CHANGE YOUR REVIEW TEAM. Or at least look at cases individually when their not trying to commit “credit card fraud” over a book. Most people would buy something BIG if that was their motive.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Danielle, That's frustrating and I'm sorry that this ended up messy. I'd like to check into what happened and see if anything went wrong and how we can improve those processes. Would you mind... read more »

Creased book cover

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 11, 2018

The book I purchased was a hard cover children's book with a creased jacket cover. It was intended as a baby gift for a newborn but I was unhappy with the state of the cover. Not nice, especially when the book was brand new. It ruined the gift as far as I was concerned.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Kate,

I'm really sorry to hear about this! I've sent you a direct message so we can sort out a replacement for you.

Jessica

No communication about out of stock books

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jul 06, 2018

Unfortunately I have found Booktopia quite poor in communicating to buyers. Items show as in stock but take weeks to be sent out if at all, usually resulting in a cancellation an another week to get your money back.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Mark,

Sorry to hear this. I'd like to look into the experience you've had a little further, could I grab your most recent order number?

Why the long wait!!!!!

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 28, 2018

I ordered a book on the 14th July. Today is the 26th July and I've been informed my book has been shipped today. I live in the Lower Blue Mountains one hour from Sydney. I could have walked to the warehouse and back in this time. $7 delivery and a two week turnaround when you live an hour from the warehouse pretty average really.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Yvette,

It sounds like you may have ordered an item we don't stock in our Sydney Distribution Centre. If I could grab your order number I will look further into it for you.

Disappointed.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 23, 2018

Hello. I was very disappointed in the time the book took to arrive. Your quote when ordering was 1-2 days. It arrived after 8 days.
Had I realised the length of time involved I would have sourced it elsewhere. The 1-2 days suited me.
Thank you.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi there,

I'd like to look into your order a little further, could I grab your order number please?

Never received my book.

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 18, 2018

According to the staff at Booktopia, neither they nor their courier know what happened to my order. I never received it and was refunded my money. Don't know that I'll bother with them again.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Onyx,

This definitely doesn't sound right. If I could grab your order number I will most definitely look into this for you.

Shipping dates are inaccurate

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 14, 2018

Website stated that book would be shipped from supplier within 15 business days. Did not hear anything for a few weeks, so contacted customer service. Must give credit that they got back to me fairly quickly but stated that the supplier was experiencing a stock delay & could not even give me an estimate about when it would be available again. Looking at other reviews, this seems to be quite a common "reason" they give when shipping is not within their stated time-frame. Have requested a refund, hopefully that process goes smoothly. I only decided to use this website as they offered AfterPay, but will be going back to Book Depository after this experience.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Melinda, Sorry to hear you experienced a delay with your order! The majority of what we sell is stocked in our Sydney Distribution Centre, however in order to have the large range of books avai... read more »

Fast but dirty

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 12, 2018

Hi, your delivery was fast which was great.
Unfortunately all the books were very dusty and even using a lightly damp cloth not all the dirt could be removed.
I really enjoy books (including the nice covers) - and this experience made me miss book shops!

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Olivia,

I'm really sorry to hear about this! I'd like to raise this with our Operations Manager, could I grab your order number and the titles of the books that were dusty?

Thanks!

Melbourne

Received in poor condition

2 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 01, 2018

I purchased this book online because I thought Booktopia would be the best choice as it appeared reputable. Whilst the book arrived in only a few days, which I was happy with, I am extremely disappointed with the condition it came in. The front cover was dirty with grey marks all over it. The cover is a very light pink colour which made these marks very visible. No one would miss them. I presumed the book would have arrived in its original packaging (ie, sealed in plastic) but it was just the book itself, looking as though it had been thrown around. I bought this book for a present for my sister and I don’t feel I can give it to her now because of the condition it came in. Very disappointed and now have to purchase another from a different store.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Kat,

I'm very sorry to hear this! I've sent you a direct message about this, we'll sort something out for you.

Not so good....

2 out of 5, reviewed on May 16, 2018

Booktopia seems OK but let down by PBT couriers who didn't phone me in my apartment building in Wellington and sent the book back to Sydney! They said they had no phone number but they did. Also a very long wait on the phone to talk to a customer service rep to get this sorted out.
So, so far, no book and a lot of frustration and needless time on the phone :-(

Perth

• 3 comments

Not received

2 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 24, 2018

The order has not arrived, after 10 days of the order being placed (delivery to Perth, WA). The reason given was that the order system could not handle the volume of orders and the new system was causing problems with tracking through Australia Post.Told to wait another week.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Albert,

I'm really sorry about this. If I could grab your order number I'll chase this up for you.

Hello Jessica

O/N is 7172905.

Thank you for responding to my comments. I appreciate any update you can provide.

Regards, Albert

Hi Jessica

Is there any news on the order? The site still shows that it has not been picked up.

Albert

Packaging

2 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 16, 2018

The ordering and shipping process was streamlined and efficient but I was most disappointed with the excessive amount of packaging used for my order - a box 46cm long x 33cm wide x 15cm high for a boxed set of digest-size books measuring 20cm long x 13cm wide x 11cm high. This is a gross waste of resources.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi JayJay, We normally use flat cardboard sheets for our parcels that are put through a machine and sealed shut using pressure activated glue. The cardboard sheets come in a roll and have a standa... read more »

Melbourne

• 1 comment

Not follow the order

2 out of 5, reviewed on Apr 15, 2018

There were options to give the authority to the driver to leave the parcel at my place if there was nobody home. I chose it. My parcel ended up at the post office so I had to go there to pick up. I can understand that Aus Post didn’t allow the parcel to be left at my place, but then the option that your website gave was meaningless.
Also I asked for customised note when I paid wrapping fee, because it was a gift to my wife. The book was wrapped but no note was written down. My wife and I were looking for it and I felt embarrassed.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Eric,

I'm sorry to hear about this! Let me look into these issues further for you, could I have your order number?

Jessica

Hi, Thank you for your reply. My order number was 7115827. The product itself was very good, I’m happy with it and will come back to purchase more products from. My point here is that for addition... read more »

Booktopia Official

Hi Eric, Thanks for providing your order number! Regarding the parcel being taken to the post office, I've raised this with Australia Post to see if they can tell me why it went to the Post Office... read more »

• 4 helpful votes

Verified Customer

Cannot contact Booktopia by message , chat or Phone !!

2 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 22, 2018

Tried for two days on 19th and 20/3/2018 to contact Booktopia via message and phone and chat functions .No luck on any of these services . Customer service used to be prompt and helpful. Had to go to another supplier for most of my requirements as I simply could talk to anyone regarding some basic information .

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi there John, I'm sorry to hear you had some trouble getting in touch with us! Our phone availability is 9am-5pm in your time zone, which means that we'll be available for your start starting fro... read more »

Deceptive shipping times

2 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 16, 2018

We ordered Pride and Prejudice Large Print in early Feb 2018 for Mums 93rd Birthday. We bought through Booktopia as we were offered shipping in 1-2 days. As soon as order paid for we got an email saying “Oopsies sorry we’re having trouble with your order. You will get in 1-2 weeks”.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Mr Darcy,

I'd like to look into this further, could I grab your order number please?

Wouldn't use again!

2 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 13, 2018

Ill-timed response to customer inquiries. Your website states that the item will usually be shipped the same day the order if placed if it is in stock, which was not the case. Tracking info provided only after the item had been shipped and had already arrived at my house. I did not trust in the whole process and wouldn't use your service again.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Bealie,

Sorry to hear that! I'd like to look into this order a little further and see what information was being displayed, as well as how we performed. Could I grab your order number please?

Thanks!

ADELAIDE

• 3 comments
  • 6 helpful votes

Verified Customer

Does Booktopia really take Papal payments?

2 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 06, 2018

My payment to Booktopia has been approved and is sitting in Paypal waiting for Booktopia to place the order.
Booktopia automated message claims they can't contact Paypal to process my order, clearly Paypal is contactable as the first part of the process is complete. I can see the approvals in my PayPal account and have received the authorisation emails from PayPal. 'You authorised a payment of $56.40 AUD to Booktopia Pty. Ltd.(info@booktopia.com.au). Your funds will be transferred when the merchant processes your payment.'

Booktopia customer service can't understand or doesn't care that I want to order by Paypal. Their solution is not to fix their ordering problem, just change the payment method. Not happening, I need to pay with Paypal.
I am awaiting a response or solution from Paypal but also looking for somewhere else to order my books.

A quick note: I have ordered through Dymocks using my paypal account without any issue.

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Mama S,

I'd like to look into this further and see what happened. Could I grab your order number please?

Brisbane

Verified Customer

Don’t believe stock availability or delivery times

2 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 28, 2018

Website says products in stock at time of order. Email received later says sorry not in stock. Estimate of time given for stock to arrive however a week after this date still has not arrived. Contacting Booktopia results in a I don’t know when answer. While the order was fully refund it took time. Another order for a different product has since been placed which showed was in stock but once again email received saying it’s not. Follow up complaint has not been answered.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Lisa, I'm sorry for the delay in acknowledging your review, I just wanted to look into this a little further before getting back to you. I can also see the message you've sent on the 27th and w... read more »

Terrible delivery service

2 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 23, 2018

Book ordered and confirmed order on 15th February - email on 16th February, book has been shipped - 23rd February email, expected arrival 13th March - Australia Post (not your local post office!!) terrible!!!

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Mark,

I'm very sorry to hear about this! I'd like to look into this further and see what went wrong, could I have your order number please?

Not so great...

2 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 15, 2018

No free postage as i do have with Book deposit so it was more expensive, & i was told it was comming 1 day & was supposed to be delivered another day & i am still yet to recieved my book even though Australia Post has said it was delivered....im not very happy as it was a present which didnt arrive..i wont be buying again from here....

Comments
Booktopia Official

Hi Vee, While we don’t offer free shipping all year round, we do have free shipping promotions usually once a month. Just make sure you're signed up to our Newsletters to be notified of our next f... read more »

1 of 10 pages